Game 44 vs Boston - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Game 44 vs Boston - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:07 am

Pens win 3-2

- Pens started off slow but got to their game. Solid "don't panic" mindset, with Tommy Vokoun nailing it shut.
- This game was as big a test as the Pens have had this season, and they passed while missing key players.
- Jussi fits with this team. He's like that puzzle piece that doesn't quite look right, until its in. He it fits in perfectly (maybe even in a few different places :wink: )
- Iggy's shot from the point looks hard and accurate. In the fight, he got one decent shot on Horton too & Horton didn't play after. I call that the "Iggy Pop" effect! :fist:
- I saw Thornton challenge Crankshaft late game, camera went up ice with play and no fight resulted. Wise restraint and a good game by Murray.
- Maybe TK's worst game in recent memory? In my opinion, Beau will challenge TK for a playoff roster spot because Beau has been :thumb:
- Tyler Seguin impresses me with his skill level. He is a game breaker.
- Cooke's history & past reputation follow him everywhere. Cooke's hit on McQuade was okay (not penalized and not low).
- McQuade is a knucklehead. Playing hurt for no reason and then slewfooting Sutter? (Perhaps some discipline Mr. Shanahan?).
- Felt somewhat like a playoff game, the additional grit made a noticeable difference.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Game 44 vs Boston - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby DelPen on Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:25 am

Bennett may have been the best player on the ice yesterday.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:50 am

Yep. Bennet deserves a spot in the lineup.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meow on Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:59 am

On a day when sportsmanship and integrity should have been at the forefront, Boston really drug yesterday through the mud. Between Marchand being Marchand, McQuaid embarrassing himself, Jack Edwards embarrassing his organization and Julien's post-game comments being of his typical hypocritical nature, I was/am very disappointed and sad for the people of Boston.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:06 am

The Sirhan Sirhan comment was just about the most ridiculous thing I've heard from a sports announcer.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby topshelf on Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:09 am

Molinari's article this morning mentioned that Shero confronted Edwards after his Sirhan Sirhan comment. What I wouldn't give to have been a fly on the wall during that exchange!
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby columbia on Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:10 am

topshelf wrote:Molinari's article this morning mentioned that Shero confronted Edwards after his Sirhan Sirhan comment. What I wouldn't give to have been a fly on the wall during that exchange!

"I am sorry for insulting Matt Cooke, the Pittsburgh Penguins, the National Hockey League, and anyone else upset by my Cooke comments. I made a mistake. My fault all the way. This is my apology. Bad week, bad emotional reaction by me."
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby the wicked child on Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:15 am

* Pens are 9-0 against the 2-4 seeds in the conference. That is just ridiculous.
* I was kind of dubious of the refs in the first, but the Pens came out of it only down by 1 and were able to turn the tide.
* Bennett really stood out yesterday... he is becoming more impressive all the time. He'll probably sit when/if the team is fully healthy, but we know more injuries will follow. He will get playing time.
* I can't say enough about the moves Shero made. They are directly impacting the outcome of pretty much every game during this new streak, in a good way. To think that we have a 6 game winning streak with the vast majority coming without the 2 best players in the world and Neal is hard to fathom.
* This team is good. Scary good. We don't know what the playoffs will bring, but we should enjoy it because we may not get a chance to see another like it for some time.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:18 am

columbia wrote:The Sirhan Sirhan comment was just about the most ridiculous thing I've heard from a sports announcer.

I see it as worse than the infamous "look at that little monkey run"... And *that* comment ended a storied career.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby joopen on Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:18 am

columbia wrote:
topshelf wrote:Molinari's article this morning mentioned that Shero confronted Edwards after his Sirhan Sirhan comment. What I wouldn't give to have been a fly on the wall during that exchange!

"I am sorry for insulting Matt Cooke, the Pittsburgh Penguins, the National Hockey League, and anyone else upset by my Cooke comments. I made a mistake. My fault all the way. This is my apology. Bad week, bad emotional reaction by me."

That was, of course, after his "don't follow me" response on twitter which reeked of class and professionalism too.
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:19 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:
columbia wrote:The Sirhan Sirhan comment was just about the most ridiculous thing I've heard from a sports announcer.

I see it as worse than the infamous "look at that little monkey run"... And *that* comment ended a storied career.

It's definitely up there.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:22 am

Edwards also said that the apology was not prompted by anything other than his own conscience, which we now know was a load of BS.

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby joopen on Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:30 am

Kunitz has been getting a lot of PK time the last few games which leaves me to believe someone in the normal PK rotation is out for the playoffs.

Murray played well with what looked like the Jagr assignment.

Seguin is a heck of a hockey player.

Beauner is going to be a really good hockey player for a long time. He has a lot of Kovalev in him. Not quite as talented and not the same shot but he is fluid, shifty, and surprisingly strong and physical. He has more defensive awareness in his game too.

Lets get everyone healthy and focus on round 1
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Steve on Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:59 am

Interesting that Iggy gets into his first fight (as a Pen), against the team that "had a deal in place" to acquire him....
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby joopen on Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:03 am

Steve wrote:So refresh my memory, what was Edwards apologizing for? His comment after the Cooke hit a few years ago, or did he say something more recently? I don't even remember what he said after the original Cooke hit.

Interesting that Iggy gets into his first fight (as a Pen), against the team that "had a deal in place" to acquire him....

Yesterday compared Cooke to Sirhan Sirhan (RFK assassin) after saying he assassinated Savard.
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby penny lane on Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:06 am

Penguins general manager Ray Shero was visibly enraged when he learned of Edwards' comments and confronted him in the first intermission.
Shero declined to comment on what Edwards had said,

GMRS; a classy professional and person. He went directly to the source and dealt one on one. You don't run your conflicts with other teams through the media. An example everybody , in and out of hockey, should follow.

I thought the bruins would win. It was there for them, but for Tomas Vokoun holding in the 1st period.
Jaromir good, for short shifts and PP. Still has magic in his hands.
Nathan Horton you are an idiot for trying to fight with your medical history. He needed to think long-term bruins.
However you want to play; pens can adjust; will adjust, and have the players needed to adjust. :!:

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/spo ... z2R6cXxkWu
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Steve on Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:07 am

joopen wrote:
Steve wrote:So refresh my memory, what was Edwards apologizing for? His comment after the Cooke hit a few years ago, or did he say something more recently? I don't even remember what he said after the original Cooke hit.

Yesterday compared Cooke to Sirhan Sirhan (RFK assassin) after saying he assassinated Savard.

Yeah thanks - I missed part of the first period (I'm assuming, that's when he made the comment) - so I was confused when he was making that apology. Poor taste and especially poor timing....
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Luckybreak on Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:20 am

-BB has not only exceeded expectations but continues to out-perform several regulars. What's even more impressive is that he's learning from his few rare mistakes, has adapted his game and contributed playing on lines 1/2, 3 and 4. Wow. Forget the rookie BS, this kid makes the team better and DESERVES TO PLAY!
-Jokinen's playing some of his best hockey - Sid's injury has almost been a blessing in disguise, forcing Shero to make the trade and add a 'stop-gap' player who's now a virtual lock to be re-signed whilst spelling the end of the road for TK IMO.
-Cooke deserves credit for (so far) upping the nasty but leaving the dirty at home. Fine line but this is the Cooke we need for the playoffs. I hope nothing silly happens in Ottawa.
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby brwi on Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:23 am

Jack Edwards made himself look like a complete idiot with his stupid mouth. I question whether an apology can smooth-over the kind of character flaws those comments indicate. Sirhan Sirhan and Matt Cooke and right after the Marathon bombings? Really?
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Headshot77 on Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:28 am

Weren't the Bruins completely healthy during this game as well? Every game I am more impressed with this penguins club.
Headshot77
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby champeen on Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:34 am

I know he probably doesn't have a bomb from the point, but does anyone else think Bennett has pp qb in his future? The kid made a couple of really nice plays at the blueline yesterday to keep it in, stickhandle under pressure, buy himself some space and make a confident, accurate pass. I can think of a few guys who struggle with precisely that....
champeen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Penspal on Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:52 am

champeen wrote:I know he probably doesn't have a bomb from the point, but does anyone else think Bennett has pp qb in his future? The kid made a couple of really nice plays at the blueline yesterday to keep it in, stickhandle under pressure, buy himself some space and make a confident, accurate pass. I can think of a few guys who struggle with precisely that....

Possibly, he's smooth as butter. Bennett does a good job of keeping his head up and has a good read on the ice. This will be very important come playoff time, tons of hits coming and don't want him to get "Skinner'ed"!
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby lemieuxReturns on Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:59 am

its funny. We finally get a winger via our own drafting and he is a "play making" winger. BB defintely deserves to be in the lineup when the playoffs start.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby murphydump55 on Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:06 am

lemieuxReturns wrote:its funny. We finally get a winger via our own drafting and he is a "play making" winger. BB defintely deserves to be in the lineup when the playoffs start.

At least over Kennedy for sure. I'd play him over Glass too, depending on the opponent. If he's scratched for a struggling Kennedy, then as I said before, Bylsma has a complete hate on for rookies.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:27 am

Letang was getting trolled all day and didn't lose his mind. That's about the most impressive thing I've seen all year.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins