What will the lines be when everyone gets back?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: What will the lines be when everyone gets back?

Postby no name on Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:38 am

This will get really intresting once fresh bodies start comming back.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby headh on Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:41 am

Kunitz was logging some PK minutes last night.

Schmeguin has the right line combinations
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pavel Bure on Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:53 am

Kunitz - Crosby - Iginla
Morrow - Malkin - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - Dupuis
Glass/Bennett - Jokinen - Adams

Orpik - Martin
Letang - Eaton/Despres
Nisky - Murray
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pcmforless on Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:09 am

what is scary is that you could make two legit playoff teams out of the pens lineup once healthy if you split it up.
pcmforless
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Steve Dave on Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:50 am

I think Morrow and Dupuis mesh well together. Perhaps a third line if Morrow Sutter Dupuis?
Kunitz Crosby Iginla and Bennett Malkin Neal as top 2 lines. 4th line comprised of Cooke Jokinen Adams with Glass and Kennedy as fill ins. Jeffrey and Vitale as depth.
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:53 am

I wouldn't bet on everyone being healthy at any point.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby murphydump55 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:53 am

I see all these lineups with Iggy on the left side....did anyone watch his first couple games with him on the left side? Why the heck would you put him back there when a guy like Dupuis is able to play both sides?

This is my vote if we're going to dress Bennett. Probably a pipe dream though.

Kunitz - Crosby - Iginla
Bennett - Malkin - Neal
Morrow - Sutter - Dupuis
Cooke - Jokinen - Adams

If not, then I guess this could work?

Dupuis - Crosby - Iginla
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Morrow - Sutter - Kennedy
Cooke - Jokinen - Adams

Everyone stays in their natural position, with the exception of the versatile Dupuis in the second example. Jokinen, Crosby, and Sutter taking most of the draws all night, relieving Geno of his ridiculous struggles on the dot. In both lineups you have Dupuis, Kunitz, Sutter, Cooke, Jokinen, and Adams to kill penalties.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:54 am

Steve Dave wrote:I think Morrow and Dupuis mesh well together. Perhaps a third line if Morrow Sutter Dupuis?
Kunitz Crosby Iginla and Bennett Malkin Neal as top 2 lines. 4th line comprised of Cooke Jokinen Adams with Glass and Kennedy as fill ins.

why sutter over jokinen on that 3rd line?

when we're healthy, sutter's a 4th line center on this team.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby murphydump55 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:02 am

shmenguin wrote:
Steve Dave wrote:I think Morrow and Dupuis mesh well together. Perhaps a third line if Morrow Sutter Dupuis?
Kunitz Crosby Iginla and Bennett Malkin Neal as top 2 lines. 4th line comprised of Cooke Jokinen Adams with Glass and Kennedy as fill ins.

I actually wont disagree with you there. The way DB rolls his 4th line, and the quality 4th line we'll be putting out there might not make a difference anyway.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:06 am

murphydump55 wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

I actually wont disagree with you there. The way DB rolls his 4th line, and the quality 4th line we'll be putting out there might not make a difference anyway.

if jokinen was a floater, it would be different, but by most accounts, he's a capable 2-way player. and he's simply more talented than sutter. seems like a no brainer.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Defence21 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:32 am

headh wrote:36-87-12
14-71-18
10-9-19
24-16-48

You know, at first I kind of laughed at this, but the more I think about it, it's not quite as strange as I originally thought. Let's examine.

Line one puts Crosby with Iginla (which seems as natural a fit as Malkin and Neal), while placing Jokinen on their other side. Jokinen has played well with Iginla thus far, and his overall game (including the unexpected chippiness) has been too good to bury in the lineup.

Line two of Kunitz, Malkin and Neal makes sense, considering the trio were extremely successful last season, while Malkin and Neal have struggled to find similar success this season with several replacements.

Line three is where we might see the first signs of protest from some. Why have Dupuis as a center when Jokinen is a winger on the first line? The fact that he has played there in recent games might have been an audition. And, considering this line has had much success thus far, it might be worth keeping together. Plus, Bennett can learn sooo much from playing with Morrow and Dupuis, two consummate professionals who play the game completely different, but equally excellent. The easy substitution would be a flip/flop of Jokinen and Dupuis for those who might be concerned.

Line four is the one I tend to have trouble with, for several reasons. First, I am no fan of Kennedy and feel his spot could be better utilized by someone who kills penalties, hits hard, or does both. Because of that, I would prefer Adams or Glass. The other concern I have is bumping Sutter to the fourth line. Might that be a move that frustrates him moving forward? Dupuis was demoted to the bench and fourth line during the Cup run and he came back with a vengeance. Maybe that happens here, too. But, in general, this line is the perfect illustration of the team's depth. The Penguins were rolling with this as their third line, and now it has the potential to be their fourth line. Incredible!
Last edited by Defence21 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby murphydump55 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:35 am

Defence21 wrote:
14-71-18
10-9-19
24-16-48

You know, at first I kind of laughed at this, but the more I think about it, it's not quite as strange as I originally thought. Let's examine.

Line one puts Crosby with Iginla (which seems as natural a fit as Malkin and Neal), while placing Jokinen on their other side. Jokinen has played well with Iginla thus far, and his overall game (including the unexpected chippiness) has been too good to bury in the lineup.

Line two of Kunitz, Malkin and Neal makes sense, considering the trio were extremely successful last season, while Malkin and Neal have struggled to find similar success this season with several replacements.

Line three is where we might see the first signs of protest from some. Why have Dupuis as a center when Jokinen is a winger on the first line? The fact that he has played their in recent games might have been an audition. And, considering this line has had much success thus far, it might be worth keeping together. Plus, Bennett can learn sooo much from playing with Morrow and Dupuis, two consummate professionals who play the game completely different, but equally excellent. The easy substitution would be a flip/flop of Jokinen and Dupuis for those who might be concerned.

Line four is the one I tend to have trouble with, for several reasons. First, I am no fan of Kennedy and feel his spot could be better utilized by someone who kills penalties, hits hard, or does both. Because of that, I would prefer Adams or Glass. The other concern I have is bumping Sutter to the fourth line. Might that be a move that frustrates him moving forward? Dupuis was demoted to the bench and fourth line during the Cup run and he came back with a vengeance. Maybe that happens here, too. But, in general, this line is the perfect illustration of the team's depth. The Penguins were rolling with this as their third line, and now it has the potential to be their fourth line. Incredible!

Once again, one of the most important things come playoff time are faceoffs. They become huge. Outside of Crosby and Sutter on one side of the ice, we're very weak. Now you want to put our best two faceoff guys on the same line?

No thanks. I put a lot of stock in faceoffs and puck possession, and Jokinen was brought in for that reason.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Defence21 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:41 am

murphydump55 wrote:
Defence21 wrote:
14-71-18
10-9-19
24-16-48

Line three is where we might see the first signs of protest from some. Why have Dupuis as a center when Jokinen is a winger on the first line? The fact that he has played their in recent games might have been an audition. And, considering this line has had much success thus far, it might be worth keeping together. Plus, Bennett can learn sooo much from playing with Morrow and Dupuis, two consummate professionals who play the game completely different, but equally excellent. The easy substitution would be a flip/flop of Jokinen and Dupuis for those who might be concerned.

Once again, one of the most important things come playoff time are faceoffs. They become huge. Outside of Crosby and Sutter on one side of the ice, we're very weak. Now you want to put our best two faceoff guys on the same line?

No thanks. I put a lot of stock in faceoffs and puck possession, and Jokinen was brought in for that reason.

It's not like you can't make a mid-game adjustment for a crucial faceoff (aside from any time following an icing). I get what you're saying, and I, too, put a lot of stock into faceoffs. But I also put a lot of faith in a line of Dupuis, Morrow, and Bennett to battle for the puck to win draws and do the same to retrieve the puck if the faceoff is lost.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:43 am

Defence21 wrote: The other concern I have is bumping Sutter to the fourth line. Might that be a move that frustrates him moving forward? Dupuis was demoted to the bench and fourth line during the Cup run and he came back with a vengeance. Maybe that happens here, too.

sutter has been a nice 3rd line center. nothing more nothing less. i don't think he's earned the security of a guaranteed spot in the top 9 on a stacked team. if he gets his feathers ruffled by a demotion under these circumstances, that a little self-reflection is in order for suttertron.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby murphydump55 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:48 am

shmenguin wrote:
Defence21 wrote: The other concern I have is bumping Sutter to the fourth line. Might that be a move that frustrates him moving forward? Dupuis was demoted to the bench and fourth line during the Cup run and he came back with a vengeance. Maybe that happens here, too.

sutter has been a nice 3rd line center. nothing more nothing less. i don't think he's earned the security of a guaranteed spot in the top 9 on a stacked team. if he gets his feathers ruffled by a demotion under these circumstances, that a little self-reflection is in order for suttertron.

I'm sure he can see this team is rolling and stacked. If he can't realize that and see that they can make a run at the Cup, then I don't want him here. It could be worse, he could be Glass, or possibly TK and be scratched after playing all season.

DB has a lot of faith in Sutter and it's not like he's getting his playing time cut in half.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby sil on Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:57 am

Sutter has been our most consistent forward in regards to defensive play all year. It would be a tremendous mistake to take him out of the lineup just when the defensive aspects of the game become paramount, i.e. when the playoffs begin.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby murphydump55 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:00 am

sil wrote:Sutter has been our most consistent forward in regards to defensive play all year. It would be a tremendous mistake to take him out of the lineup just when the defensive aspects of the game become paramount, i.e. when the playoffs begin.

Who was taking him out???
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Froggy on Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:11 pm

1f there are 60 mins a game, and you figure about 15 special team minutes (give or take) that leaves 45 minutes of ES time to divide between the 4 lines.

lines 1 and 2 will get around 12-15 mins at even strength, and lines 3 and 4 will split whatever is left over probably pretty evenly. If this lineup is healthy, it's almost a situation of there not being enough minutes in a game to get everyone the time they deserve.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby It'sagreatdayforhockey! on Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:19 pm

murphydump55 wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

murphydump55 wrote:

sil wrote:Sutter has been our most consistent forward in regards to defensive play all year. It would be a tremendous mistake to take him out of the lineup just when the defensive aspects of the game become paramount, i.e. when the playoffs begin.

Best of all worlds?

Kunitz - Crosby - Iginla
Jokinen - Malkin - Neal
Morrow - Sutter - Dupuis
Cooke - Adams/Glass - Bennett/Kennedy

Move Jokinen to the second line to take draws for Malkin and allows for double shifting either Malkin or Crosby (or Jokinen) on a stacked 4th line, while still icing Adams or Glass for the PK.
It'sagreatdayforhockey!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:35 pm

It'sagreatdayforhockey! wrote:Best of all worlds?

Kunitz - Crosby - Iginla
Jokinen - Malkin - Neal
Morrow - Sutter - Dupuis

Move Jokinen to the second line to take draws for Malkin and allows for double shifting either Malkin or Crosby (or Jokinen) on a stacked 4th line, while still icing Adams or Glass for the PK.

you might be onto something there
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby murphydump55 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:54 pm

shmenguin wrote:
It'sagreatdayforhockey! wrote:Best of all worlds?

Kunitz - Crosby - Iginla
Jokinen - Malkin - Neal
Morrow - Sutter - Dupuis

you might be onto something there

Yup, that could work. I wouldn't be against that at all, I just want Jokinen, Sid, and Sutter taking the majority of our draws.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins