Favorite Playoff Moments

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Favorite Playoff Moments

Postby Shakes on Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:42 pm

Came across this old commercial:

What a run that was to come all the way back to the Finals, with a new coach, and beat the Red Wings in Joe Louis to make this picture not totally sickening.

I always thought we'd see a rubber match between the Datsyuk/Zetterberg Wings and the Crosby/Malkin Penguins, but it doesn't seem like it'll ever happen.

Hossa on the other hand . . .
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Shakes on Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:50 pm

scals37 wrote:
bh wrote:This was a recent one I love

:13 second mark, "verr, very guud description..."

:lol: who was that color guy? that was the worst on-air fumbling and mumbling

I think that was Razor, who's usually pretty solid. I'm not a fan of Beninati's overcalling, but this call and his call on this were solid:

"Malkin . . . Oh, my WORD!
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Staggy on Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:29 pm

Gaucho wrote:

Amazing goal and that was just a great game overall.

Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DudeMan2766 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:39 pm

I was at Game 6 vs Toronto in 97. Kovy made it 2-0 on one of my favorite goals of his. He basically did a loop of the zone and kept the puck in with half of it across the blueline, kept skating to the top of the circle, deked a guy out of his skates and roofed a shot above (Potvins?) shoulder that had enough room between him and the post to basically fit the exact size of a puck. Another moment in that game when they were down 3-2 Jagr tied it in the second, I look a few seats down from me and a guy rips his shirt off Hulk Hogan style and starts beating his chest while the crowds goin nuts. Too bad TOR scored about 10 seconds into OT
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pcm on Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:52 pm

I :thumb: this thread.

Playoffs transform players into heroes. Is what it's all about.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DayWalker on Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:10 pm

The Ron Francis hat trick (including the GWG in OT) against the Rangers in Game 4 of the Patrick Division Finals is definitely one of my favorites.

The atmosphere outside of Mellon Arena during Game 4 of the 2009 SCF is also one of my favorite moments. It was absolutely electric.
DayWalker
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Shakes on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:12 pm

pcm wrote:I :thumb: this thread.

Playoffs transform players into heroes. Is what it's all about.

The Cup changes everything. :thumb:
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:20 am

Memory of the Nedved goal is fuzzy...I remember everything about the Kaspar goal...from the game to where I was at in my parents' living room.. 3-0 come back against the Rangers in 08 is one of my favorites...along with the rapid comeback in the 2nd(?) period on the Shhh game.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby silentom on Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:36 pm

Well, I was only 1-2 years old,the first time around, so I have only seen them in the 10 greatest games DVD's. As for the recent years...

-The Staal shorty series changer
-The shhhhhh!
-Stunned Caps fan after OT win
-Fleury's glove save on OV
-6-0 win over flyers in game 5 of the '08 run
-Satan fight where he was enjoying himself
-Malking toying with the Hurricanes
-The Shift
silentom
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DudeMan2766 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:45 pm

Not a whole lotta pre-2009 memories :pop:
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:49 pm

-I watched the Nedved OT winner in college. Good times. There were probably 5 hockey fans on campus, and they were all in my room lol.
-Staal's SHG was awesome.
-Geno's hat trick with that sick backhand.
-Hedberg's Moose magic in 2001. (Almost forgot about that)
Last edited by Digitalgypsy66 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby joopen on Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:51 pm

Luc Robataille's game tying goal as time expired in the finals vs. the Blackhawks. Unfortunately the game was never finished.
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby PPenguinsFan66 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:59 pm

Moose beating Hasek in the Sabres series, with the help of Kasparaitis.
PPenguinsFan66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:05 pm

My first Pens game was a playoff game against the Devils. I still have the ticket stub, 2nd round of the 94-95 playoffs. We sat behind the benches, but that's as far as I can remember.

One of my first real Pens memories was Kasparaitis's OT goal to beat the Sabres. I can still see the TV in our family room and him sliding across the ice.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby NashvilleCat on Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:33 pm

I remember the 1982 playoffs against the Islanders. The boys lost the first two on the Island 8-1 and 7-2. DeBartolo offered the fans a refund due to the lopsided nature of the games and team's embarrassing performance against the then three-time Stanley Cup Champions.

The fans hated DeBartolo so much that they showed up in great numbers for the game and the cheering started before the National Anthem. It was an electric atmosphere - something I've never experienced at any other event. The boys won the next two games at home 2-1 and 5-2 before falling to John Tonelli and the Isles in a close game 5 losing 4-3 on a puck that hopped over Randy Carlyle's stick to send the game to overtime. Tonelli scored the last two goals of the game. Interesting story here the game on Arbour's use of the rule that allowed a two-minute warm up for a goalie change http://islanders.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=627726 - they changed the rule after that. The Isles refer to that series as the one that almost derailed a dynasty.

Interesting team that year, Michel Dion was added to the roster after he had left the ice in the middle of a Bruins' game because he was upset at the total lack of defense, Paul Baxter had 409 minutes in penalties to set the franchise record, they broke the Isles 15-game winning streak, scored 99 power plays goals, rookie Mike Bullard had 37 goals, and Paul Gardner scored 36 goals in 59 games. Dion started the NHL All-Star game that year.
NashvilleCat
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby letsgopens66 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:30 pm

DudeMan2766 wrote:I was at Game 6 vs Toronto in 97. Kovy made it 2-0 on one of my favorite goals of his. He basically did a loop of the zone and kept the puck in with half of it across the blueline, kept skating to the top of the circle, deked a guy out of his skates and roofed a shot above (Potvins?) shoulder that had enough room between him and the post to basically fit the exact size of a puck. Another moment in that game when they were down 3-2 Jagr tied it in the second, I look a few seats down from me and a guy rips his shirt off Hulk Hogan style and starts beating his chest while the crowds goin nuts. Too bad TOR scored about 10 seconds into OT

This game was in 1999 and I am pretty sure the goalie was Curtis Joseph. I was there with my dad. The feeling afterwards was awful for not only losing the game but possibly losing the franchise. A lot of people thought that was the team's last game in Pittsburgh. I'll never forget that game.

I would love to have video of the entire game. Does anyone have a copy? I would pay for it.

Here is the Volk OT winner: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNVXwt__OZk
letsgopens66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins