Official GDT: Pens vs Sens 4/22/13

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official GDT: Pens vs Sens 4/22/13

Postby Sigwolf on Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:41 pm

knives of ice wrote:the pk time for glass was way way down tonight where as kunitz and jussi had more minutes than usual. could be a precurser for what will happen in the playoffs - glass getting scratched.

He's a solid 4th line player. I have nothing against Glass on an NHL team, or on the Penguins, but with the trade acquisitions and a healthy lineup, there is no doubt he should be among the scratches...
Sigwolf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby CERV96 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:41 pm

tfrizz wrote:
knives of ice wrote:man, morrow sure is racking up the #1 stars. amazing player.

"He's all done... nothing left in the tank."

- Every Stars fan and many other fans at the time of the trade

Talk about rejuvenation!

Is it a Blue Irus rejuvenation?
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby slappybrown on Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:44 pm

tfrizz wrote:
slappybrown wrote:
Beveridge wrote:
slappybrown wrote:Man imagine chris Neil and the rest of these clowns in a seven game series this year.

Was Neil the guy Kunitz was clowning in that pic from the cup year? I believe it was.

Never a bad time to bust this one out.

Oh man what a classic shop. Love that one.

I can't believe I forgot about that. One of my greatest accomplishments :thumb:

I had no idea you made that. Excellent. Might get a chance to break it out again this season if things continue.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby lemieuxReturns on Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:47 pm

tfrizz wrote:
knives of ice wrote:man, morrow sure is racking up the #1 stars. amazing player.

"He's all done... nothing left in the tank."

- Every Stars fan and many other fans at the time of the trade

Talk about rejuvenation!

I am absolutely one of those people who thought he was a bad trade. My initial evaluation of him in the pens system was way wrong. He has been fantastic.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sarcastic on Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:48 pm

pens2005 wrote:
NashvilleCat wrote:Pens are now 35-10-0 at one point they were 13-8-0.

That's absolutely unbelievable.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby The U on Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:51 pm

Tomorrow vs Buffalo is the last rest day. Get Sid, Neal, Martin, Letang in there for the final two games to build chemistry and lines.

Can't afford to bring everyone back for Game 1 and have all sorts of rust and incohesion. The thought of inserting 4 "new" players, jumbling every line, screwing with PP and PK combos scares me. By the time you find your legs and gel you could be down in a series vs Washington, Rangers, etc...
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DudeMan2766 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:52 pm

Is there a player that backs down from everyone his own size like Chris Neil? Maybe Lucic?
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby The U on Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:55 pm

DudeMan2766 wrote:Is there a player that backs down from everyone his own size like Chris Neil? Maybe Lucic?

Ott maybe...

Cooke backs down because he's not a fighter. I'm ok with that. Neil, however, is a fighter but still backs down from everyone equal to or better than him with the fists.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby NashvilleCat on Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:59 pm

DudeMan2766 wrote:Is there a player that backs down from everyone his own size like Chris Neil? Maybe Lucic?

Scott Hartnell
NashvilleCat
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby blackjack68 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:04 pm

Sens really went out with a whimper. No heart.
blackjack68
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Kharlamov on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:32 pm

No heart from Sens. That's what happens when this guy is your captain:

http://m.espn.go.com/nhl/story?storyId= ... rc=desktop
Kharlamov
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FreeCandy44 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:43 pm

Mike Milbury has something to say about Matt Cooke.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013 ... att-cooke/

New link
Last edited by FreeCandy44 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sigwolf on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:54 pm

FreeCandy44 wrote:Mike Milbury has something to say about Matt Cooke.

http://m.nbcsports.com/content/video-mi ... matt-cooke

For me, that link brings nothing but a HUGE fonted page and no video, so for those that can get the video, what does the moron say?
Sigwolf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby IMFC on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:55 pm

Pittsburgh Penguins Scratches
Player Detail
M Eaton Scratched

We won without Eaton? I, uh, wha-?
IMFC
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Dan H on Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:36 am

Shakes wrote:C'mon, man. The guy makes $2M, primarily for his goal scoring. He's had a rough year, and that was a terrible miss. Some of the stuff here is over the top, but the bottom line is that he botched that play. Must score.

Maybe most of the people on LGP couldn't have converted, but most $2M forwards do. Yes, close to 100% of the time.

No way it's near 100% of the time. Next time you watch a hockey game, try to watch how often bouncing passes into the area near the crease go right through a forward's feet, glance off his skate or stick and skitter harmlessly away, or get shoved weakly at the goalie or wide of the net. It happens typically a few times per game. Kennedy actually did a little better than those first two circumstances here; he managed to collect the puck near his feet and almost brought it up to get a shot off before it rolled off his stick. The main reason people are pointing this out as an embarrassingly blown play is they don't recognize how hard it is to control a hard bouncing pass right at your feet and bring it quickly forward for a shot before a defenseman knocks you over.

Heck, Sidney Crosby is one of the best players in NHL history at corralling pucks fired at his feet, and if you watch him for a whole season you'll see more than one flubbed pass reception in close to the net.

It may well be true that TK has underperformed his contract this season. That play just isn't the killer bit of evidence for it people seem to be making it out to be. Now, if you watched a lot of film from this year and managed to show that he converts similar plays at a much lower rate than comparably salaried forwards, you'd have something. But you probably wouldn't need that analysis to convince people he's slumped this year; it's plain to the eye.
Dan H
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:33 am

The puck was on edge. Had TK shot it, you guys would've complained because it went wide/high. There wasn't really a solid chance for him to gain control to pot that one.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DropEmJayBird on Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:18 am

1-0 with Big Mac in the lineup.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Inkio on Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:30 am

New link

Milbury is an idiot
Inkio
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby meow on Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:02 am

Inkio wrote:

New link

Milbury is an idiot

I put more stock in my dog's hockey opinion than Milbury's. Roenick, the voice of reason? I nearly shipped my pants.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby CERV96 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:56 am

DropEmJayBird wrote:1-0 with Big Mac in the lineup.

CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby marek on Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:57 am

Who's mike Pilsbury?

Wouldn't surprise me if Cooke gets suspended for the head shot on Depres,
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Shakes on Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:06 am

Dan H wrote:
Shakes wrote:C'mon, man. The guy makes $2M, primarily for his goal scoring. He's had a rough year, and that was a terrible miss. Some of the stuff here is over the top, but the bottom line is that he botched that play. Must score.

Maybe most of the people on LGP couldn't have converted, but most $2M forwards do. Yes, close to 100% of the time.

No way it's near 100% of the time. Next time you watch a hockey game, try to watch how often bouncing passes into the area near the crease go right through a forward's feet, glance off his skate or stick and skitter harmlessly away, or get shoved weakly at the goalie or wide of the net. It happens typically a few times per game. Kennedy actually did a little better than those first two circumstances here; he managed to collect the puck near his feet and almost brought it up to get a shot off before it rolled off his stick. The main reason people are pointing this out as an embarrassingly blown play is they don't recognize how hard it is to control a hard bouncing pass right at your feet and bring it quickly forward for a shot before a defenseman knocks you over.

Heck, Sidney Crosby is one of the best players in NHL history at corralling pucks fired at his feet, and if you watch him for a whole season you'll see more than one flubbed pass reception in close to the net.

It may well be true that TK has underperformed his contract this season. That play just isn't the killer bit of evidence for it people seem to be making it out to be. Now, if you watched a lot of film from this year and managed to show that he converts similar plays at a much lower rate than comparably salaried forwards, you'd have something. But you probably wouldn't need that analysis to convince people he's slumped this year; it's plain to the eye.

Fair enough, maybe close to 100% is way off. Just based off the eye test, it seems to me TK himself (let alone better players like Sid) usually collects and scores that. Anyway, I'm glad he scored later. He's been a consistent playoff performer, so I'm hoping he gets it going.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:26 am

he should have scored there, but he isn't on this team for his goal scoring. so i guess everyone's wrong.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:57 am

The U wrote:

Ott maybe...

Cooke backs down because he's not a fighter. I'm ok with that. Neil, however, is a fighter but still backs down from everyone equal to or better than him with the fists.

Big Mac is not Neil's size. I thought Cooke would have benefitted from Fightimg Neil. Obviously, he played well so it didn't matter, but willingly answering (even if he doesn't have to) early in the game eliminates all the chippiness later in the game through which a player could actually get hurt. Like I've said before, that's what he did with Thornton after Savard and Boston left him alone.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Shakes on Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:14 am

TheHammer24 wrote:
The U wrote:

Ott maybe...

Big Mac is not Neil's size. I thought Cooke would have benefitted from Fightimg Neil. Obviously, he played well so it didn't matter, but willingly answering (even if he doesn't have to) early in the game eliminates all the chippiness later in the game through which a player could actually get hurt. Like I've said before, that's what he did with Thornton after Savard and Boston left him alone.

That's a fair point. Clearly, it was more important to him to make a statement that he had absolutely nothing to answer for. Hindsight is 20/20, but with 2 pts and no new injuries in the bag, I'm glad he trolled the Sens and some of their fans and media by refusing to go.

Get over it, Ottawa.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins