Game 45 vs. Ottawa - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Game 45 vs. Ottawa - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:20 am

Pens win 3-1

- Solid outing by many of the non-core. Vokoun was sharp, Jeffrey, Morrow, hell even TK got in on the act!
- The Matt Cooke fiasco went pretty much as the Pens hoped it would. Ottawa showed lack of discipline and paid the price
- Morrow's pass to Iggy behind the net was sick. Loved seeing Iggy's smile and "Nice #$#% pass" remark on the celebration (SportsNet feed)
- Neil might/should/will be fined or suspended for his head contact hit on Despres. Simon jumped right back up (rookie move?), but admitted he had his head down... lucky as hell.
- Big Mac lumbered out there and it was comical how the Sens got out of his way. Big Mac did not hurt the Pens in this game, and the peace was kept.
- Bortuzzo showed he can take a punch(s), which is exactly why he was in the game. Amazing depth that you have a piece like this to fit into this type of game.
- Iggy was front page of CBC's website, but not from the game http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/story/2013/04/22/calgary-jarome-iginla-mls-flames-house.html
- Vancouver beat the Hawks leaving the Pens only 3 pts back from top spot with 3 games remaining.... doubtful but worth watching
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Game 45 vs. Ottawa - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby no name on Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:23 am

Love how Murray got in Neils face all smiles and Neil did nothing about it.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby penny lane on Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:26 am

Simon Despres ‏@Despres747 6h To all the young dman out there!! Don't forget to shoulder check or you can #learnthehardway lol

;)

Congrats to Tomas Vokoun and Coach Disco on their milestones.
Insert trumpet music to theme from Indiana Jones; I think I heard it 3 times during the game.

On to Pittsburgh~ :D
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby blackjack68 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:28 am

Ottawa showed they had no heart and went out with a whimper.

Down two goals and didn't pull the goalie until 50 or so seconds left.

And yes, death to the trumpet player.
Last edited by blackjack68 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Malkamaniac on Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:28 am

no name wrote:Love how Murray got in Neils face all smiles and Neil did nothing about it.

I thoroughly enjoyed how all Murray did was smile and Neil didn't do anything. Was enjoyable to the max.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Penspal on Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:30 am

no name wrote:Love how Murray got in Neils face all smiles and Neil did nothing about it.

I almost put that down in my op, but I didn't want to focus too much on the "knuckle dragger" aspect of this game. Murray had an "Ogrish grin" that Neil understood all too well. I might seek that out on NHL Gamecenter because it would make a classic image for the archive.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:33 am

One of these days Chris Neil will confront the wrong person and there will be no linesman behind whose back he can hide.

Speaking of linesmen, the officiating was terrible all around and made the game not much fun to watch at times.

Nice condo, Iggy. But the semicircular couch and table are pretty meh.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JS© on Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:37 am

Not sure if this was answered last night, but is this the same trumpet player that used to be at Nordiques games and various AHL/ECHL games in the 90s?

Better yet, are we even sure that it was a person and not a recording?
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tfrizz on Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:38 am

Sens drop to 8th in the East and are now chasing hot Islanders and Rangers teams. Round 1: bring 'em on!
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Penspal on Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:39 am

JS© wrote:Not sure if this was answered last night, but is this the same trumpet player that used to be at Nordiques games and various AHL/ECHL games in the 90s?

Better yet, are we even sure that it was a person and not a recording?

Good point, I didn't see him on the Sportsnet feed, and yet the trumpet does seem to be at every Sens game. Can't imagine its the same guy in all those cities.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:46 am

* - Nice move by Cooke in the corner, followed by a really slick pass to TK for the killer goal.

* - One thing about winning this often. When you do this, winning sometimes becomes ho-hum. You appreciate winning more when you lose every so often. :roll: Maybe it's that way now because we've already clinched the East.

* - No team has less losses than the Pens this year, including the Blackhawks. I really don't know enough about how the "3-point" system works, but the Pens just might be the leaders if that system were used. Anyone know?

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby no name on Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:54 am

Big Easy Pens Fan wrote:* - Nice move by Cooke in the corner, followed by a really slick pass to TK for the killer goal.

* - One thing about winning this often. When you do this, winning sometimes becomes ho-hum. You appreciate winning more when you lose every so often. :roll: Maybe it's that way now because we've already clinched the East.

* - No team has less losses than the Pens this year, including the Blackhawks. I really don't know enough about how the "3-point" system works, but the Pens just might be the leaders if that system were used. Anyone know?

BEPF

3 pts win
2 points OT\SHW
1 point SOL

Pens 102
Chi 101
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:55 am

Due to my son's baseball game (a 20-8 drubbing at the hands of Terminix :lol: ), I missed the first two periods, but got to watch the last inning period.

I knew the lineup was depleted, and didn't expect much...but the work ethic was there throughout. No sleepwalkers on this team right now, which is good to see.

Very physical throughout the third, no surprise there.

Jeffrey looked like an NHL player.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby murphydump55 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:01 am

- What a win, just crazy that we shelf almost 38 million worth of players and still come out of the game with a win. My hat is off to Bylsma, Shero, and the players.

- Vokoun - solid outing and made some huge point blank saves, yet I'm still scared at how he flops around once he's out to cut down the angle. He just falls over trying to get back into the net....somehow, it works.

- When I looked at our blueline last night, I was pretty much accepting that we were going to have a tough time. They all stepped up huge, and while the pairing of Despres/Bortuzzo struggled at times, I though they all did a pretty decent job considering.

- Iginla is looking more comfy each game. Morrow had a great start! Wow.

- The PP, yes it did go 0 for, but we had some moments where our puck movement combined with our player movement that left me shaking my head. If our regular PP guys can move the puck like that, we'll finish a lot more than they did. Great job.

- We still ice the puck too much and that can't happen in the playoffs!
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:06 am

no name wrote:
Big Easy Pens Fan wrote:* - Nice move by Cooke in the corner, followed by a really slick pass to TK for the killer goal the cue to Elvis.

BEPF

3 pts win
2 points OT\SHW
1 point SOL

Pens 102
Chi 101

Thanks no name. I thought that might be the case.

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sil on Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:10 am

Current PP should be the top group in the playoffs. Put Martin, Crosby, Malkin, Neal, and some meat vessel out there for the second group come playoff time. Wow...whouda thunk this would ever be an option!?
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Shakes on Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:13 am

Penspal wrote:Pens win 3-1

- Morrow's pass to Iggy behind the net was sick. Loved seeing Iggy's smile and "Nice #$#% pass" remark on the celebration (SportsNet feed)

Great play, and it seemed like Iggy was the only one who knew what Morrow was doing. You hardly ever see a goalie and defense that fooled at this level. I love how calmly Iginla roofed it too, just to be sure. The guy's hands and hockey IQ aren't going anywhere, even if Father Time has taken some of his strength and speed.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Malkamaniac on Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:19 am

sil wrote:Current PP should be the top group in the playoffs. Put Martin, Crosby, Malkin, Neal, and some meat vessel out there for the second group come playoff time. Wow...whouda thunk this would ever be an option!?

I think the current powerplay out there now is a legit second team option. Gives Dan the ability to dole out time a little easier.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Hawkeynut on Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:00 am

- Very proud the Pens stuck to their gameplan and didn't buy into the sideshow. Especially happy Cooke didn't "answer" for something he didn't do wrong.
- Pens are in and have been in playoff mode for some time.
- I still can't believe they had a convincing win with the core of the team not playing.
- BRING ON THE PLAYOFFS ALREADY!
- 22-2-0 in last 24 games. 'Nuff said.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Dickie Dunn on Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:57 am

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Jeffrey looked like an NHL player.

Seems to be his M.O. Get scratched for a long stretch of games, first game/couple games back in the lineup look like a competent NHL player, proceed to be invisible for a week or so, repeat.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sil on Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:02 am

Dickie Dunn wrote:
Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Jeffrey looked like an NHL player.

Seems to be his M.O. Get scratched for a long stretch of games, first game/couple games back in the lineup look like a competent NHL player, proceed to be invisible for a week or so, repeat.

He's invisible on the scoresheet, but not to the extent that he isn't a capable 4th line player at times. The thing that keeps Jeffrey out of the lineup is his tendecy to make big mistakes in the defensive and neutral zones, and that can't happen consistently with 4th line players. If he could cut those mistakes out for the most part, he'd be a perfect fit on a bottom line. Those kinds of mistakes can be hid better in the top lines (i.e. look at Crosby's and Malkin's awful turnovers), but Jeffrey doesn't have the tools to be a top-6 on a regular basis. I'll be real interested to see what Shero wants to do with Jeffrey this coming offseason. Perhaps one more season as a 13th forward, but he'll be gone if he doesn't simplify his game on the backend.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby llipgh2 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:10 am

I loved this. Neil was definitey thinking "Oh God, don't let him hurt me."
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Nizzy on Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:04 pm

Tyler Kennedy - Played Horrible. Kept Grinding as much as the little Tiger could! He's terrible. But the average dumb fan will say he needs to stay because he put in a goal. Put TK on the 4th line wing, and leave him there until his contract is gone. Don't re-sign.

I honestly got sick of all the calls, it was annoying. The first period was some good hockey.

+ Beating OTTAWA, I hope they fall to the 8th seed. Should be a nice sweep in the first round.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Nizzy on Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:08 pm

Senators Murray: Matt Cooke needs to be banned from the league!! He targets heads!!!

Neil didn't hold up one bit on the Despres hit.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:09 pm

I fell asleep in the 3rd period. So basically, my feelings are kind of in that one thought. It didn't look like Ottawa was the slightest bit interested in playing that game. What a snoozer.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins