Crowd Wooing

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Crowd Wooing

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:36 pm

There's only one way to find out if wooing is acceptable. Try introducing the sudden "wooo" into other...aspects of your life.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby thepittman on Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:49 pm

DudeMan2766 wrote:
thepittman wrote:
DudeMan2766 wrote:Its obnoxious, and people know its obnoxious. You can throw out all the "they paid for their ticket they can do what they want...it doesnt hurt anybody" stuff all you want, but for me I just like to have a little courtesy for the people around me. I have friends that we'll go to Pens and Pirates games, and they'll sit there and talk non-stop about everything but the game, the entire time. I'm not saying I sit there in silence but I at least know the people near me don't want to hear us yacking the entire game while they're trying to pay attention. So I make a conscious effort not too, even if the game is lousy. The woos would be fine if people want to do it for a couple minutes and do it, but its endless once it starts. Esp at Pirates games when it takes off in the 3rd inning and in the 8th people are still doing it thinking its funny

Dear god man, if you want a quiet peaceful experience stay home on the couch. Sporting events are for people to have fun with other fans and enjoy the game as much as enjoying the people around them.

I go to the game to mock other teams fans in harmless ways, enjoy the company I brought with me no matter what we are talking about, and be loud in support of the team.

Yep, exactly what I said. I want the arena so quiet you can hear a pin drop.

I made no mention of any single thing that is obviously annoying to many others, and people doing it for large stretches of time far after it gets old, so they can feel cool.

Its right there in black and white in my post, I want no music, no crowd interaction, no chants at all. Thats exactly what I was saying.

That is exactly what you said
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby joopen on Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:54 pm

What exactly is it about the woo that you enjoy?
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby thepittman on Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:56 pm

joopen wrote:What exactly is it about the woo that you enjoy?

I just don't get angry when other people are enjoying themselves Image
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby joopen on Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:58 pm

So you don't enjoy the wooing?
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DudeMan2766 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:58 pm

thepittman wrote:
DudeMan2766 wrote:
thepittman wrote:
DudeMan2766 wrote:Its obnoxious, and people know its obnoxious. You can throw out all the "they paid for their ticket they can do what they want...it doesnt hurt anybody" stuff all you want, but for me I just like to have a little courtesy for the people around me. I have friends that we'll go to Pens and Pirates games, and they'll sit there and talk non-stop about everything but the game, the entire time. I'm not saying I sit there in silence but I at least know the people near me don't want to hear us yacking the entire game while they're trying to pay attention. So I make a conscious effort not too, even if the game is lousy. The woos would be fine if people want to do it for a couple minutes and do it, but its endless once it starts. Esp at Pirates games when it takes off in the 3rd inning and in the 8th people are still doing it thinking its funny

Dear god man, if you want a quiet peaceful experience stay home on the couch. Sporting events are for people to have fun with other fans and enjoy the game as much as enjoying the people around them.

I go to the game to mock other teams fans in harmless ways, enjoy the company I brought with me no matter what we are talking about, and be loud in support of the team.

Yep, exactly what I said. I want the arena so quiet you can hear a pin drop.

I made no mention of any single thing that is obviously annoying to many others, and people doing it for large stretches of time far after it gets old, so they can feel cool.

Its right there in black and white in my post, I want no music, no crowd interaction, no chants at all. Thats exactly what I was saying.

That is exactly what you said

I'm not getting into a pissing match with you but no where in my post did go so far as to say I want to have a "quiet peaceful experience" at the game similar to when I'm sitting at home. I said there are certain things people do at games that are overtly obnoxious and clearly bother other people, and the wooing is it. If youre going to take that as meaning I want no music, no chanting, no cheering at games then thats your problem.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby topshelf66 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:02 pm

I first noticed the Woo at games on Long Island a couple of years ago. I hate that it is at CONSOL now. I am a season ticket holder and notice the wooing but honestly have never seen anyone "in the act" (of wooing that is). We should be more original in our expression. Perhaps a poll on an alternative spontaneous vocal expression.

Cheers !

Well Done !

Bravo !

Huzzah !

Kindly remove your hand from my busom !

The winner of the poll of these, or perhaps even better suggestions, will be done exclusively going forward.

To quote Frank Burns, "There is nothing wrong with originality, as long as we all do it together."
topshelf66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby thepittman on Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:05 pm

Not enough noise in Consol -> People start making noise -> said noise doesn't pass pens fan board approval -> people whining on the internet about something they have no control over
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby thepittman on Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:07 pm

I feel like I'm at a Florida retirement community and we are at a HOA meeting about someones grand kids skateboarding on the sidewalk.
Last edited by thepittman on Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby canaan on Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:08 pm

Pittman is the woo guys knight in shining armor
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DudeMan2766 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:10 pm

canaan wrote:Pittman is the woo guy

Fickst
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby canaan on Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:11 pm

Wouldn't shock me if that was the deal
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby thepittman on Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:11 pm

DudeMan2766 wrote:
canaan wrote:Pittman is the woo guy

Fickst

I've been to two home games this season
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DudeMan2766 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:14 pm

Well apparently you're very influential
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:14 pm

...and you woo'ed at them?
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby joopen on Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:15 pm

Thanks for answering the question.
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby thepittman on Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:15 pm

Last edited by thepittman on Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby thepittman on Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:17 pm

joopen wrote:Thanks for answering the question.

Not even once
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DropEmJayBird on Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:19 pm

Just so we can establish some facts.

1) Wooing was done at other venues before being done at Consol - it's not original.
2) Wooing is not crowd noise - Wooing is a random person screaming something at some random part of the game with no trigger or event.
3) Nobody has ever seen a "woooer" in the acting of wooing - we may be dealing with 3 or 4 people - perhaps STH (though STH would likely be careful about continuing to do this should they piss off other STH in their vicinity)

Personally - to me the audio part of the game is just as important as the visual. If someone randomly stood up every 30 seconds for no reason and sat back down - that would be annoying. If the person behind me screamed "SHOOOT" randomly when our guys had the puck in our own end, that would be annoying (if he did it while we were on the power play - it would still be annoying, but at least understandable). Wooing to me - is akin to randomly standing up or screaming nonsense during play that doesn't fit at all into the game.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby thepittman on Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:24 pm

DropEmJayBird wrote:Just so we can establish some facts.

1) Wooing was done at other venues before being done at Consol - it's not original.
2) Wooing is not crowd noise - Wooing is a random person screaming something at some random part of the game with no trigger or event.
3) Nobody has ever seen a "woooer" in the acting of wooing - we may be dealing with 3 or 4 people - perhaps STH (though STH would likely be careful about continuing to do this should they piss off other STH in their vicinity)

Personally - to me the audio part of the game is just as important as the visual. If someone randomly stood up every 30 seconds for no reason and sat back down - that would be annoying. If the person behind me screamed "SHOOOT" randomly when our guys had the puck in our own end, that would be annoying (if he did it while we were on the power play - it would still be annoying, but at least understandable). Wooing to me - is akin to randomly standing up or screaming nonsense during play that doesn't fit at all into the game.

The older you get the more things your going to find younger people doing as disagreeable. Just like every generation before.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby lifetimefan on Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:25 pm

Five pages of comments on wooing during the game. Damn. If this is all we have to discuss the Pens are sitting pretty. I love it. Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lifetimefan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby thepittman on Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:26 pm

lifetimefan wrote:Five pages of comments on wooing during the game. Damn. If this is all we have to discuss the Pens are sitting pretty. I love it. Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's been keeping me busy at work today :fist:
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Admin on Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:26 pm

Hypothetically, if you knew Lemieux and the players hated the wooing, would you stop?
Admin
Site Admin

Postby thepittman on Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:27 pm

Admin wrote:Hypothetically, if you knew Lemieux and the players hated the wooing, would you stop?

I'm not a woo'er, just a representative of freedom. I know not what others may do.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Rylan on Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:30 pm

So what you are saying is we cannot express our freedom of being annoyed with the woo'rs and wishing they would stop? Bit hypocritical eh?
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins