Crowd Wooing

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Crowd Wooing

Postby IanMoran on Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:12 am

On swearing, it depends... If someone accidentally cusses once and you complain, ok get a life.

I've done the drop a cuss word, realize a little kid by me have that "o, I'm an idiot moment," and watch myself

Someone being obnoxious and f bombing everything at a family event is different though
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby newarenanow on Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:13 am

IanMoran wrote:On swearing, it depends... If someone accidentally cusses once and you complain, ok get a life.

I've done the drop a cuss word, realize a little kid by me have that "o, I'm an idiot moment," and watch myself

Someone being obnoxious and f bombing everything at a family event is different though

:thumb: My thoughts as well.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mikey287 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:15 am

IanMoran wrote:On swearing, it depends... If someone accidentally cusses once and you complain, ok get a life.

This probably best describes my feelings on the subject as well. I spend a lot of time in rinks and usually my interaction is with the players, but sometimes I'm up in the stands with them and I'm talking like I'm in the locker room and I do apologize if I slip up and there's little kids near by certainly. And who knows, maybe in third grade they have a worse mouth than I do, but in any event, better safe than sorry...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jopaz on Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:25 am

I blame the bandwagon fans in their blue jerseys.

But seriously, the fans want to get involved and after a while they get bored with the "Lets go Pens" chant.
So what can we start that is better - maybe a different cheer or song?

The playoffs usually bring a good taunt for the opposing goalie, if the name is right (Bryzgolov did not work). "Hey ref you suck" is fun at the right time but I only hear that in other arenas. We can't do "go home flyers" this year.

When the wooing starts, something else needs to start up that will change the tune....
Jopaz
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby TheHammer24 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:29 am

DropEmJayBird wrote:I hate the woooing - it's stupid.

But if we are up 3 goals or something in the third - I get it, it's stupid, but I get it.

Tied or up 1 in the third period - you deserve to be dragged down to the ice and forced to chase a puck into the corner of the ice with Douglas Murray chasing your skinny white ass.

Yeah I hate it, but it is very related to whistling in Soccer. When the home team is up big late, the crowd sarcastically whistles at the opponent.

But seriously---stop it. Especially when it's tied 2-2 and you end up losing.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:34 am

Vuvuzelas
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:35 am

Letang Is The Truth wrote:Vuvuzelas

Yes please. But the whole game. Only to stop when you're drinking your beer.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:36 am

I think what bothers me about the woo is its not a consistent hum. The vuvuzelas I was able to block out because it was constant. The woo's are irregular and at a higher pitch and it just strikes a nerve that annoys me much quicker than most things normally would.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penny lane on Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:55 am

I'm a non wooing fan. Some folks need to be the center of attention; the "look at me" mentality.

*On the plus side,Boosters for the ice have arrived. it was downright fridgid in the Consol.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:58 am

Idoit40fans wrote:

Yes please. But the whole game. Only to stop when you're drinking your beer.

Drink beer thru vuvuzela
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thepittman on Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:32 am

Rylan wrote:

I think what bothers me about the woo is its not a consistent hum. The vuvuzelas I was able to block out because it was constant. The woo's are irregular and at a higher pitch and it just strikes a nerve that annoys me much quicker than most things normally would.

Unless you're at a pirates game and someone is trying to start chants with one
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby IanMoran on Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:35 am

Apparently another fan base / city is having the SAME discussions

@JimDayTV: I know some like the “woos” in the crowd but I can tell you the #Reds players DO NOT like it. They wish it would go away.

An EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW with the 'INVENTOR" of the woo
http://www.redreporter.com/2012/9/27/34 ... -woooooooo

IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Lt. Dish on Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:51 am

Jopaz wrote:I blame the bandwagon fans in their blue jerseys.

But seriously, the fans want to get involved and after a while they get bored with the "Lets go Pens" chant.
So what can we start that is better - maybe a different cheer or song?

The playoffs usually bring a good taunt for the opposing goalie, if the name is right (Bryzgolov did not work). "Hey ref you suck" is fun at the right time but I only hear that in other arenas. We can't do "go home flyers" this year.

When the wooing starts, something else needs to start up that will change the tune....

I agree. Yell, chant, or sing over it might be the best option.

Winnipeg fans could host webinars on creative fan vocal participation. :wink:
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FreeCandy44 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:16 pm

Wow....people are really mad at the woo. I mean I find it annoying, but I can think of worse things.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:27 pm

FreeCandy44 wrote:Wow....people are really mad at the woo. I mean I find it annoying, but I can think of worse things.

That's pretty much the way I feel. I will never participate in it. It does get annoying to a point, but in the end, I don't really care.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:21 pm

FreeCandy44 wrote:Wow....people are really mad at the woo. I mean I find it annoying, but I can think of worse things.

Degloved jokes :evil:
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DudeMan2766 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:35 pm

Its obnoxious, and people know its obnoxious. You can throw out all the "they paid for their ticket they can do what they want...it doesnt hurt anybody" stuff all you want, but for me I just like to have a little courtesy for the people around me. I have friends that we'll go to Pens and Pirates games, and they'll sit there and talk non-stop about everything but the game, the entire time. I'm not saying I sit there in silence but I at least know the people near me don't want to hear us yacking the entire game while they're trying to pay attention. So I make a conscious effort not too, even if the game is lousy. The woos would be fine if people want to do it for a couple minutes and do it, but its endless once it starts. Esp at Pirates games when it takes off in the 3rd inning and in the 8th people are still doing it thinking its funny
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby thepittman on Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:03 pm

DudeMan2766 wrote:Its obnoxious, and people know its obnoxious. You can throw out all the "they paid for their ticket they can do what they want...it doesnt hurt anybody" stuff all you want, but for me I just like to have a little courtesy for the people around me. I have friends that we'll go to Pens and Pirates games, and they'll sit there and talk non-stop about everything but the game, the entire time. I'm not saying I sit there in silence but I at least know the people near me don't want to hear us yacking the entire game while they're trying to pay attention. So I make a conscious effort not too, even if the game is lousy. The woos would be fine if people want to do it for a couple minutes and do it, but its endless once it starts. Esp at Pirates games when it takes off in the 3rd inning and in the 8th people are still doing it thinking its funny

Dear god man, if you want a quiet peaceful experience stay home on the couch. Sporting events are for people to have fun with other fans and enjoy the game as much as enjoying the people around them.

I go to the game to mock other teams fans in harmless ways, enjoy the company I brought with me no matter what we are talking about, and be loud in support of the team.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:06 pm

I'm not sure how anything anyone else is saying is an expression stronger than what you're saying.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby thepittman on Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:13 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:

I'm not sure how anything anyone else is saying is an expression stronger than what you're saying.

meow wrote:If given the chance, I'd punch every person that woos right in the face. No matter of sex or age or mental capacity. Pow! Right in the kisser. I automatically hate you.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Rylan on Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:14 pm

lol
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DudeMan2766 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:32 pm

thepittman wrote:
DudeMan2766 wrote:Its obnoxious, and people know its obnoxious. You can throw out all the "they paid for their ticket they can do what they want...it doesnt hurt anybody" stuff all you want, but for me I just like to have a little courtesy for the people around me. I have friends that we'll go to Pens and Pirates games, and they'll sit there and talk non-stop about everything but the game, the entire time. I'm not saying I sit there in silence but I at least know the people near me don't want to hear us yacking the entire game while they're trying to pay attention. So I make a conscious effort not too, even if the game is lousy. The woos would be fine if people want to do it for a couple minutes and do it, but its endless once it starts. Esp at Pirates games when it takes off in the 3rd inning and in the 8th people are still doing it thinking its funny

Dear god man, if you want a quiet peaceful experience stay home on the couch. Sporting events are for people to have fun with other fans and enjoy the game as much as enjoying the people around them.

I go to the game to mock other teams fans in harmless ways, enjoy the company I brought with me no matter what we are talking about, and be loud in support of the team.

Yep, exactly what I said. I want the arena so quiet you can hear a pin drop.

I made no mention of any single thing that is obviously annoying to many others, and people doing it for large stretches of time far after it gets old, so they can feel cool.

Its right there in black and white in my post, I want no music, no crowd interaction, no chants at all. Thats exactly what I was saying.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby scals37 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:34 pm

it's the worst thing about going to games... hands down...

it's also embarrassing that it is loud enough to be heard on TV/radio

and the fact that these morons are starting to do it during a tie game before anything is decided yet, is kind of elitist
scals37
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DropEmJayBird on Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:20 pm

Let's throw it out there... who here has wooo'd at a game.
I've never done it, my guess is pittman has, but I think he might be the only one judging by the comments.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Kraftster on Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:34 pm

I hate the wooing. I would never woo. I also want to state for the record that if I have ever written wooooo anywhere LGP it should not be read as a "woo" as we are discussing, but instead, it should be read as normal non-annoying excited noise.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins