You're the GM 2013-14, 2014-15

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: You're the GM 2013-14, 2014-15

Postby Trip McNeely on Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:37 am

shmenguin wrote:this offseason, we'll probably see Shero go back to signing old mercenaries to 1 year deals. we can't commit to the bigger ticket guys, and brains are more important than talent in the bottom 6 right now, anyways.

I think the Pens are also banking that Sutter will get better next year. Considering he is more familiar with his surroundings, and hopefully works hard to get stronger in the offseason, our third line could be improved purely based on that.
Trip McNeely
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:38 am

A Cooke-Sutter-Clutterbuck line would have been nice.
Oh, well.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby pcm on Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:49 am

Sutter will improve. Hopefully he's playing with more balanced linemates. I'd be fine with a 3rd line of Morrow-Sutter-Jeffrey or Jeffrey-Sutter-Iginla.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby GSdrums87 on Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:52 am

columbia wrote:A Cooke-Sutter-Clutterbuck line would have been nice.
Oh, well.

Slutterclooke?
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:54 am

pcm wrote:Sutter will improve. Hopefully he's playing with more balanced linemates. I'd be fine with a 3rd line of Morrow-Sutter-Jeffrey or Jeffrey-Sutter-Iginla.

24 years old, 5 NHL seasons under his belt. I think he is what he is. i also think there's talent buried in there (a lot of impressive snipes this year), but he was either told not to use it, or made the decision on his own to go into lock down mode.

and those lines are impossibly slow. i'd rather just stick a fast wrecking ball like vitale on the wing there.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:03 am

Just looked at cap geek. Based on a $5 million per year cap increase per season, 24 spots and who we have signed and for how long it will be 18-19 before our available roster spots can average $3 million per player (assuming Letang contract goes through).

Developing some young players and carrying some entry level deals is gong to be important, but curious how this compares to the rest of the league.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Trip McNeely on Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:11 am

This cap situation is not as bad as it seems. We have 5 impressive players in the top 6 that are locked up long term (Crosby, Malkin, Neal, Kunitz, Bennett). The top 6 can be rounded out by a filler like Jokinen. Sutter, Adams, and Vitale are or will be locked at a good rate and are solid 3/4 liners. So basically we have 3 spots to fill there assuming dupuis and cooke are gone.

On the defensive side, we have letang, martin, orpik, and despres who will probably make up the top four.

Where I have a problem is paying a guy like Niskanen (who I actually think is fairly solid) over 2 million a year considering we have guys in the pipeline (Bortuzzo, Dumuolin, and Harrington) who are close if not already the the NHL. Those savings with Niskanen could help us fill out the bottom six forwards.

Basically, I feel we have to trade Niskanen
Trip McNeely
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:15 am

we can easily afford niskanen. keep him for depth and wave goodbye next summer. i don't think we're in a position to be pushing the limits of the cap this year, so his money isn't really preventing us from doing anything. it'll be good to have some healthy competition in camp this year for those last D spots.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jamie on Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:22 am

The biggest concern that I see is the PK. If the Pens lose Dupuis and Cooke, who is capable and fills out the PK?
Jamie
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby The Snapshot on Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:22 am

shmenguin wrote:we can easily afford niskanen. keep him for depth and wave goodbye next summer. i don't think we're in a position to be pushing the limits of the cap this year, so his money isn't really preventing us from doing anything. it'll be good to have some healthy competition in camp this year for those last D spots.

I agree that many seem to think we are in cap trouble, which we are not for the coming season. We don't need to make moves to shed money, and we can free it next summer through attrition at the end of several deals.

The roster is good to go for me, assuming we re-sign either Dupuis or Cooke and then find another veteran F somewhere waiting on a deal. It isn't out of the question to re-sign either Morrow or possibly even Iginla after the dust settles on Dupuis and Cooke.

I like Shero's stance with Letang. We can always trade him later if Despres, Pouliot, or Maata advance quickly. Letang at $7.25M long term if the cap goes up would be a real blockbuster return.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby The Snapshot on Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:23 am

Jamie wrote:The biggest concern that I see is the PK. If the Pens lose Dupuis and Cooke, who is capable and fills out the PK?

I think it's time to let TK earn his $2M by killing penalties....... :wink:
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby The Snapshot on Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:27 am

I will also add that even though I was hard on him last season, the Tanner Glass we got was not the one I saw in Vancouver. I don't know what the issue was, but he seemed slower in Pittsburgh than he was in Vancouver - and Vancouver plays a fairly up-tempo style game.

Here's hoping that he produces some of the decent offensive numbers he put up there in a limited role, but more importantly looks more comfortable in providing what I believe the Pens expected from him when they signed him - none of which really involved goals and assists.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pcm on Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:34 am

Vitale and Jeffrey both killed penalties in WBS. I'd like to see Crosby and Malkin out there on the PK as well.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby thehockeyguru on Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:06 pm

pcm wrote:Vitale and Jeffrey both killed penalties in WBS. I'd like to see Crosby and Malkin out there on the PK as well.

Is Jeffery going to be dealt or does he have a legit shot at playing on the 3rd line? The problem I see is the only forwards we have in the system dont have the skill to be top 6 and dont have the grit to be successful bottom 6 players.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Beveridge on Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:37 pm

I expect Jeffrey to be on this team come September and getting playing time.

I just can't wait until he goes from the answer and part of every trade as a throw in player to wishing he would be traded away for a bag of pucks. Should be a fun time had by all.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Paekman on Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:39 pm

The Penguins have to start using guys like Vitale and Jeffrey in order to maintain a tenable salary cap position. I really feel like Vitale will be a heck of a bottom 6 type player if he's given a consistent spot in the lineup. He's got a high motor, plays feisty, and has pretty decent stick skills. If he can stay out of the penalty box, he can be a solid contributor.

Jeffrey has never really gotten a fair shake with the Penguins, so maybe this is finally the year. I think Jeffrey's got some skill, but he doesn't seem like he's got a lot quickness and his play along the boards seems pretty uninspired. Not sure if Jeffrey's really what you'd want as a 3rd liner on this team, but I also don't think he's much of a solution for Geno or Sid's wing either.
Paekman
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:01 pm

Paekman wrote: Not sure if Jeffrey's really what you'd want as a 3rd liner on this team, but I also don't think he's much of a solution for Geno or Sid's wing either.

That was my point, if you cant plug Jeffery in the top 6 and he doesnt fit the mold of a bottom 6 player, why not just move him?
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pcm on Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:06 pm

The one thing about Jeffrey that impresses me is that he scores goals no matter what line he's on. That to me says he belongs in the NHL. He's looked out of place filling in on the top 2 lines and he's never gotten a chance to take a permanent spot, but I think he can be a solid two-way 3rd liner for this team. I think he and Sutter would complement each other well.

Obviously, he'll have to switch to wing, and LW is probably best for him, which means Blysma will play him at RW. He can take faceoffs, so his potential as a longterm PK'er is there too.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:07 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
Paekman wrote: Not sure if Jeffrey's really what you'd want as a 3rd liner on this team, but I also don't think he's much of a solution for Geno or Sid's wing either.

That was my point, if you cant plug Jeffery in the top 6 and he doesnt fit the mold of a bottom 6 player, why not just move him?

He's a better option than anyone else in the organization, to assume the 13th forward role?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Paekman on Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:09 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:

Probably because he's got a salary that's palatable for the club at the moment. Jeffrey qualifies at ~700k and is able to fill in through out the lineup with out looking terribly out of place. Having said that, it seems like role he's best suited for is a middle of the lineup (2nd/3rd line) stop gap. Having watched him in WBS a good bit, it's not hard to argue that Jeffrey has legitimate talent. Who knows, maybe this is the year he comes into camp and gets a real good look from the coaching staff. In the end though, given the relative dearth of forwards the Penguins have to work with and Jeffrey's salary, it's not overly surprising that they're hanging onto him.
Paekman
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Paekman on Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:10 pm

pcm wrote:The one thing about Jeffrey that impresses me is that he scores goals no matter what line he's on. That to me says he belongs in the NHL. He's looked out of place filling in on the top 2 lines and he's never gotten a chance to take a permanent spot, but I think he can be a solid two-way 3rd liner for this team. I think he and Sutter would complement each other well.

Obviously, he'll have to switch to wing, and LW is probably best for him, which means Blysma will play him at RW. He can take faceoffs, so his potential as a longterm PK'er is there too.

That's kind of how I feel, but I'm not sure that Jeffrey is physical enough for the 3rd line.
Paekman
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:11 pm

Paekman wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

Probably because he's got a salary that's palatable for the club at the moment. Jeffrey qualifies at ~700k and is able to fill in through out the lineup with out looking terribly out of place. Having said that, it seems like role he's best suited for is a middle of the lineup (2nd/3rd line) stop gap. Having watched him in WBS a good bit, it's not hard to argue that Jeffrey has legitimate talent. Who knows, maybe this is the year he comes into camp and gets a real good look from the coaching staff. In the end though, given the relative dearth of forwards the Penguins have to work with and Jeffrey's salary, it's not overly surprising that they're hanging onto him.

I'm not against giving him a look in a top 6 role to boost his value and then trading him for a better fit. I dont think that he plays into the teams long term plans, but to be honest there isnt one young player who has been given a chance to win a spot.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pcm on Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:34 pm

I dont think we need a bottom 6 of all physical energy guys. I'd rather have a more balanced lineup, basically working off this model for at least the top 3 lines:
crash and bang LW - two way dynamic center - sniper RW

Based on this model we've got:

Kunitz - Crosby - Bennett
??-Malkin-Neal
??-Sutter-Jeffrey
Glass-Vitale-Jokinen

I think we need 2 "crash and bang" 2nd/3rd line wing's. I don't really want to see Jokinen there because he doesnt fit this model.

I'd trade for Kulemin or some other young mid line winger and re-sign Cooke or Morrow to fill those roles.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Nizzy on Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:18 pm

How can these guys, slightly smaller than Crosby, in Richards and Giroux be awesome on the PK, but Crosby cant?

I remember the year Tampa won the cup. PKers were Lecavalier and St. Louis.

Time for Crosby to spend 30 second-1min on the PK.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Defence21 on Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:21 pm

Nizzy wrote:How can these guys, slightly smaller than Crosby, in Richards and Giroux be awesome on the PK, but Crosby cant?

I remember the year Tampa won the cup. PKers were Lecavalier and St. Louis.

Time for Crosby to spend 30 second-1min on the PK.

PK has nothing to do with size, and I don't believe I've ever heard the comment that Sid can't/shouldn't kill penalties because he's small. The Penguins use defensive players to kill penalties because it works for them. If they need Crosby, I'm sure he'll be more than willing and capable, but he already logs a lot of ice time, and aside from putting him out there at the end of PK with hopes of capitalizing on a tired power play, there's really no need.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins