You're the GM 2013-14, 2014-15

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: You're the GM 2013-14, 2014-15

Postby pens2005 on Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:31 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:
meow wrote:
Nizzy wrote:-Mike Rupp isn't a scorer, but he came in here and put in 6-7 goals one season. You need SOME production from the 4th line guys.
-This is why I was against the Adams signing because now you have 2 guys on the 4th line that just don't score, ever.

I don't understand this. The Pens led the league in goals for during the regular season. Why exactly do we need more goals?

When your top two lines get shut down as they did against boston, it is nice to have two other capable lines that can pot an occasional goal. With the scoring in that series being so low, one goal from the 4th line could have changed the series. Looking at Chicago for example, you have guys like Shaw and Krueger and even Saad when he was not playing on the top two lines all who have the ability to score a goal. Our third/fourth liner with that ability was dealt to san jose this summer. Guys like glass who have a one-dimensional role do not last long. TK hit everything just as glass does... but he also had the ability to score a goal. Guys like Adams and glass should be replaced with younger WBS guys who have the ability to score some goals too.

When your top 2 lines don't produce like they did in Boston, it's doesnt matter who is on your 3rd and 4th line, it's time to throw in the towel.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby canaan on Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:34 pm

Nizzy wrote:go tweet something mikey

i laughed. at you, but i laughed.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pcm on Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:03 pm

pens2005 wrote:
lemieuxReturns wrote:
meow wrote:
Nizzy wrote:-Mike Rupp isn't a scorer, but he came in here and put in 6-7 goals one season. You need SOME production from the 4th line guys.
-This is why I was against the Adams signing because now you have 2 guys on the 4th line that just don't score, ever.

I don't understand this. The Pens led the league in goals for during the regular season. Why exactly do we need more goals?

When your top two lines get shut down as they did against boston, it is nice to have two other capable lines that can pot an occasional goal. With the scoring in that series being so low, one goal from the 4th line could have changed the series. Looking at Chicago for example, you have guys like Shaw and Krueger and even Saad when he was not playing on the top two lines all who have the ability to score a goal. Our third/fourth liner with that ability was dealt to san jose this summer. Guys like glass who have a one-dimensional role do not last long. TK hit everything just as glass does... but he also had the ability to score a goal. Guys like Adams and glass should be replaced with younger WBS guys who have the ability to score some goals too.

When your top 2 lines don't produce like they did in Boston, it's doesnt matter who is on your 3rd and 4th line, it's time to throw in the towel.

Over the course of a series, yes, you're right. But all it takes is 1 goal. 1 goal in game 1 before the collapse in the 3rd, and the complexion of the series gets totally turned around. The Pens lost their confidence in Game 1, and by the time they got back to doing the little things in game 3, it was too late.

Having that depth is crucial. Boston put everything they had into shutting the door on the top 2 lines in game 1, and they could sit back and take a breather when the bottom 2 lines were out there. Hockey is a game of momentum. If half your lines can't establish any, you're not going to get very far, no matter how talented your top 2 lines are.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby JoseCuervo on Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:48 pm

So, yes? We need three scoring lines? Looks like the problem is solved.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:04 pm

JoseCuervo wrote:So, yes? We need three scoring lines? Looks like the problem is solved.

I guess I see it differently and it was my problem with the Pens in general during the playoffs. It's not about a scoring line or checking line it's about having 12 guys that can contribute to the offense and that doesn't mean goals. It could mean cycle and puck possession and wearing team downs. It could mean dump and chase with a punishing forecheck. It could mean speed simply to keep the other teams honest. It could mean coming in waves after the other team that tires them over a series.

The problem in my eyes was other than Cooke our bottom 6 didn't do any of that. And they look worse, much worse as a group right now. Now I understand Sutter took a major defensive role in the playoffs so I am not singling him out in that sense. And sure part of it could be coaching. But this group now is shaping up to be pretty awful.

As I said on the previous page due to cap restraints I'm not sure how you fix it without dumping a higher salary for no NHL talent back. Trading Nisky seems to be a necessity right now not a luxury anyways, to keep 23 guys and some space (and correct me if I'm wrong) we basically have to just ship him out to become compliant.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:34 am

People keep overlooking Harry Zolnierczyk and Andrew Ebbett. I'm not saying they're hot stuff, but I'd say they have as good a chance of making the team as Megna and Payerl.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mikey287 on Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:35 am

Gaucho wrote:People keep overlooking Harry Zolnierczyk and Andrew Ebbett. I'm not saying they're hot stuff, but I'd say they have as good a chance of making the team as Megna and Payerl.

Z is possible. Ebbett is a Quadruple-A player, IMO. He's more on the skilled-but-not-skilled-enough side of things. Again, unless we're going 3 offensive lines and a shutdown line.

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Bennett-Malkin-Neal
Jokinen-Ebbett/DJ-D'Agostini
Glass-Sutter-Adams/Vitale

Now, that's not to say that Sutter would necessarily be our fourth line center in the traditional sense. Too often, myself included, we get mixed up in the old "top two lines are offense, third line is defense, fourth line is physical/energy". That's in the book, but at the bottom of the page there's a take home activity that says, "experiment with your own line structure with a friend! This is just the recommended, traditional way :idea: "

I'm not saying that's where we're going, but people get locked into these mindsets as if they cannot change. We're not line-matchers, we're situational matchers. Sutter might still push 15 ES minutes. He might only get 10 if we're owning the puck anyway and not icing it or getting hemmed in our own end.

And no one necessarily has to be assigned that role...the response to this shouldn't be, "we didn't bring Sutter in to be our 4th line center" and we didn't and that's not even what that lineup really says above. The game is too fluid for that. We're a situational match team, so we'll match to the situation. If we're playing a team that likes to play fast and loose, like Calgary these days, like Colorado will be...hell, we can run and gun with anyone and probably bury them. Sutter and his crew will get 8, 10, 11 ES minutes that night maybe.

When we're playing a team that has a big offensive line, but plays kind of slower game but we need to respect that top line a little more than normal as they're hemming us in our own end then you can make a five-man unit that neutralizes it. Glass-Sutter-Vitale/Adams with Orpik-Martin on D as a five-man unit, like the old Soviet teams used to do. Ok, but now, this is becoming a 15, 16, 17 ES minute situation for Sutter, but he's kept the big line off the board and we trust 87's crew and 71's crew to own the puck against their weaker stuff.

There's lots to consider. I don't always love HCDB, but he can put his creativity to the test here with this roster...there are many different ways to go. As long as it's fundamentally on point (i.e. not repeated stretch passes into a layered defense for 200 some odd minutes), we have the roster still.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penny lane on Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:22 am

just saw sam gagner avoided arbitration. will bortuzzo roll go through with his?
The Hockey Gods ‏@HockeyGods 1m The @EdmontonOilers have re-signed restricted free agent Sam Gagner to a 3 year deal.

just added 4.8 mill.$$$
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Nizzy on Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:31 am

I've completely changed my mind.

I think it would be a mistake to get rid of Niskanen for an upgraded 3rd line winger. I don't feel that great about the bottom 6 but it's a long season. You need that defensive depth.

Letang Scuderi
Martin Orpik
Niskanen Despres
Bortuzzo

I'm just not sure why Craig Adams got a 2nd year. 4th liners are a dime a dozen, and I think he will start to slow down more and more. I just hate this "have to keep 1 guy for the PK"...its not needed.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby IMFC on Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:16 am

Honestly I'm fine with dumping anyone that's a playoff liability, and I think Nisky is. Just seems like he's 'guessing' tooo much. Maybe another year in the system he gets it and is more assertive? Doubt it.

Adams? Solid guy all around, on ice, practice, lockerroom. I would prefer my PK have better lateral quickness, definitely, but when I have someone that makes good decisions and is solid, I don't dump that without a specific replacement.
IMFC
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:44 pm

Nizzy wrote:I've completely changed my mind.

I think it would be a mistake to get rid of Niskanen for an upgraded 3rd line winger. I don't feel that great about the bottom 6 but it's a long season. You need that defensive depth.

Letang Scuderi
Martin Orpik
Niskanen Despres
Bortuzzo

I'm just not sure why Craig Adams got a 2nd year. 4th liners are a dime a dozen, and I think he will start to slow down more and more. I just hate this "have to keep 1 guy for the PK"...its not needed.

Not disagreeing with your general idea but is that even possible?
Right now someone has to go and that person has to have a decent salary.

A higher salary even if Burtuzzo is signed.

I only go by capgeek so if we want 23 bodies with a bit of cap room for call ups
or a decent amount for any deadline deals someone has to go and it would have to be Nisky or maybe Jussi although not sure his salary is high enough.

If there are folks with more knowledge of what we can do to shave a few dollars I am all ears.

If Nisky is traded and that is all this is our team from start to finish barring a major blockbuster type deal.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pavel Bure on Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:56 pm

I don't see Shero selling out again this year in terms of moves. At some point trading prospects/picks will hurt a team and in a year when the cap is the lowest it can go I don't see Shero making any big moves.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby darkstar57 on Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:06 pm

If i am the GM, immediately fire myself and Hire Ray Shero
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby BigMcK on Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:07 pm

Max Talbot. Stanley Cup winning goal scorer.

Too bad he didn't leave his 'Third Line Success for Dummies' book after he cleaned out his locker before leaving.

That dead horse has been beaten enough, I know.
BigMcK
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pavel Bure on Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:10 pm

BigMcK wrote:Max Talbot. Stanley Cup winning goal scorer.

Too bad he didn't leave his 'Third Line Success for Dummies' book after he cleaned out his locker before leaving.

That dead horse has been beaten enough, I know.

No he left while in the midst of writing his critically acclaimed title "How to coast through the season and get Santa's helpers for Christmas on the South Side"
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Crankshaft on Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:56 pm

darkstar57 wrote:If i am the GM, immediately fire myself and Hire Ray Shero

Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby lemieuxReturns on Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:49 pm

If there are folks with more knowledge of what we can do to shave a few dollars I am all ears.

Honestly I think the answer is to trade MAF. That instantly frees up five million, and you rid yourself of a goalie that the organization did not trust to finish out round 1 of the playoffs, start or play at all in round 2 of the playoffs, and even give a sniff at the net for round 3 of the playoffs even when your team was down 3 games to none. To me, the organization has lost all faith in the guy and I see no reason to keep him around at 5 million a year with that in mind.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Crankshaft on Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:26 am

lemieuxReturns wrote:

Honestly I think the answer is to trade MAF. That instantly frees up five million, and you rid yourself of a goalie that the organization did not trust to finish out round 1 of the playoffs, start or play at all in round 2 of the playoffs, and even give a sniff at the net for round 3 of the playoffs even when your team was down 3 games to none. To me, the organization has lost all faith in the guy and I see no reason to keep him around at 5 million a year with that in mind.

This is incredibly shortsighted. Do you honestly believe open cap space is more valuable than Fleury at this point? You're not going to recoup much for him and you have no clear, long term plan to replace him. And please don't mention Eric Hartzel or Tristen Jarry.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby murphydump55 on Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:10 am

Crankshaft wrote:
lemieuxReturns wrote:

This is incredibly shortsighted. Do you honestly believe open cap space is more valuable than Fleury at this point? You're not going to recoup much for him and you have no clear, long term plan to replace him. And please don't mention Eric Hartzel or Tristen Jarry.

If they extended Bylsma and his assistants after playoff failures and meltdowns, they're certainly not trading Fleury, even if he's a headcase that hasn't played well for the last 4 playoff years.

It almost seems like the Country Club atmosphere might be coming back. I wish there was a replacement for Fleury out there, but at the time, there really isn't. He's our best option right now, and probably on his last leg. I wouldn't blame Shero for going back to him this year, but it certainly needs to be addressed if he doesn't play with at least the maturity or brain of a 16 year old this year.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby GSdrums87 on Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:52 am

There is no feasible Fleury replacement. Certainly not Vokoun in a full year, and nobody in the pipeline is ready. Fleury should get one more crack, this is his year to shape up or ship out. The potential is completely there.
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:55 am

What do you mean there is no feasible Fleury replacement? There are multiple free agents available at this very moment that the Pens could start 55 times and make the playoffs with.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sil on Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:00 am

I'm bettin' Fleury will be here till the end of his current contract. How he plays over the next two years will determine if he stays (or even has a job in the NHL) after that.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Crankshaft on Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:04 am

Idoit40fans wrote:What do you mean there is no feasible Fleury replacement? There are multiple free agents available at this very moment that the Pens could start 55 times and make the playoffs with.

Yea, but the money you "free up" by moving Fleury is taken up by whomever you sign that is worth anything. It's a lateral move, at best.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby GSdrums87 on Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:05 am

Idoit40fans wrote:What do you mean there is no feasible Fleury replacement? There are multiple free agents available at this very moment that the Pens could start 55 times and make the playoffs with.

Bryzgalov, maybe. But is it worth buying out Fleury to get someone who's prone to similar meltdowns?
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:06 am

I said nothing about buying someone out.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins