You're the GM 2013-14, 2014-15

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: You're the GM 2013-14, 2014-15

Postby shmenguin on Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:24 am

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:Why were they talking about the Staal trade? If they're doing 2013(or 2012-2013 ratings for that matter), that would have been done the previous year at this time, aka the trade would have been party of the 2011-12 season


The grade was based on the past season and then the offseason moves to the airing of the broadcase. Sutter played his first season with the Pens so the time to evaluate the quality of the move was correct.

These guys do their homework. They talked of Ray's patience with Martin and the incredible season he gave in return but mentioned that unless the cap goes up a lot, Ray seriously gambled away the future of the franchise on 3 players. It was a solid objective review IMO.


You still can't judge that trade yet. It's all about pouliot. Sutter didn't do a good enough job this year to justify the trade all on his own.

Well you can judge it, I guess. he got a better return than one could hope for, but not because of anything Sutter did.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,522
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: You're the GM 2013-14, 2014-15

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:29 am

I missed teh segment with the 6 teams a day thing this year, but I saw it last year, and they discussed the trade.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 52,230
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: You're the GM 2013-14, 2014-15

Postby Pitts on Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:31 am

How can anyone seriously think Fleury is worthless...not even a draft pick?

If Luongo (pre-Canucks) has that much value, then Fleury certainly has similar value. Both goalies are lights out in the regular season and falter come playoff time. Fleury, if traded would net a decent and similar return.
Prior to the start of the 2006–07 season, Panthers general manager Mike Keenan traded Luongo to the Vancouver Canucks on June 23, 2006. He was packaged with defenceman Lukáš Krajíček and a sixth round draft pick (Sergei Shirokov) in exchange for forward Todd Bertuzzi, defenceman Bryan Allen and goaltender Alex Auld.[55]

Now, keep in mind, that trade was orchestrated by Keenan who had a penchant for selling low just to get rid of players he no longer liked. And Keenan HATED goalies -- all goalies!
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,536
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Re: You're the GM 2013-14, 2014-15

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:33 am

Except that Fleury is far from lights out in the regular season. He's basically middle of the pack.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 52,230
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: You're the GM 2013-14, 2014-15

Postby Pitts on Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:39 am

Idoit40fans wrote:Except that Fleury is far from lights out in the regular season. He's basically middle of the pack.

Not "lights out", but he was 4th in wins. Middle of the pack in all other stats. Luongo never even saw the playoffs with Florida!
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,536
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Re: You're the GM 2013-14, 2014-15

Postby shmenguin on Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:14 am

Pitts wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:Except that Fleury is far from lights out in the regular season. He's basically middle of the pack.

Not "lights out", but he was 4th in wins. Middle of the pack in all other stats. Luongo never even saw the playoffs with Florida!


this is a pretty good example of why a goalie's "wins" stat needs to be taken down a peg or fifty.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,522
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: You're the GM 2013-14, 2014-15

Postby Froggy on Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:04 pm

shmenguin wrote:
Pitts wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:Except that Fleury is far from lights out in the regular season. He's basically middle of the pack.

Not "lights out", but he was 4th in wins. Middle of the pack in all other stats. Luongo never even saw the playoffs with Florida!


this is a pretty good example of why a goalie's "wins" stat needs to be taken down a peg or fifty.

When turds like Smith, Elliott, and Anderson are leading in the other stats, maybe it's time to take ALL goalie stats down a peg or fifty
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,626
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:40 pm
Location: http://DrunkInAGraveyard.com

Re: You're the GM 2013-14, 2014-15

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:20 pm

Froggy wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
Pitts wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:Except that Fleury is far from lights out in the regular season. He's basically middle of the pack.

Not "lights out", but he was 4th in wins. Middle of the pack in all other stats. Luongo never even saw the playoffs with Florida!


this is a pretty good example of why a goalie's "wins" stat needs to be taken down a peg or fifty.

When turds like Smith, Elliott, and Anderson are leading in the other stats, maybe it's time to take ALL goalie stats down a peg or fifty


I'm not sure you can really put much of an argument together that they are clearly worse than Fleury.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 52,230
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: You're the GM 2013-14, 2014-15

Postby Froggy on Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:23 pm

It was more a comment on how foolish solely using stats to judge how good a goalie is.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,626
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:40 pm
Location: http://DrunkInAGraveyard.com

Re: You're the GM 2013-14, 2014-15

Postby KG on Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:48 am

Read on hockeybuzz that the Wings have put Tootoo on the block for cap space...think he makes $1.9 per which is expensive but he would be a great addition....
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,975
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:53 am
Location: NY

Re: You're the GM 2013-14, 2014-15

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:55 am

If guys like Smith and Anderson are turds then what the hell is a mediocre goalie like Fleury?

Fleury was 4th in wins and Bylsma was the fastest coach to 200 wins in the entire history of the league. There are two reasons why, and they start with Sidney and end with Evgeni.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,241
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:31 pm

Re: You're the GM 2013-14, 2014-15

Postby Froggy on Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:25 pm

DontToewsMeBro wrote:If guys like Smith and Anderson are turds then what the hell is a mediocre goalie like Fleury?

Fleury was 4th in wins and Bylsma was the fastest coach to 200 wins in the entire history of the league. There are two reasons why, and they start with Sidney and end with Evgeni.

smith and anderson are career journeymen who have posted inflated numbers playing behind strict defensive systems. make no mistake, they are turds.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,626
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:40 pm
Location: http://DrunkInAGraveyard.com

Re: You're the GM 2013-14, 2014-15

Postby pcm on Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:31 pm

Froggy wrote:smith and anderson are career journeymen who have posted inflated numbers playing behind strict defensive systems. make no mistake, they are turds.


Your assessment of talent is consistently way off. Bravo.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,122
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:39 am
Location: mountains

Re: You're the GM 2013-14, 2014-15

Postby Pitts on Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:20 pm

Image Image
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,536
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Re: You're the GM 2013-14, 2014-15

Postby DelPen on Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:38 pm

So Pens have 23 guys signed, over the cap by about $1.1 million.

Any bets that we just see Bennett and Despres start in WBS because they can?
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 33,495
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Re: You're the GM 2013-14, 2014-15

Postby Gaucho on Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:40 pm

BB and Despres will be traded for picks cause teh Blysma hatez rookies.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 40,945
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: The Onyx Club

Re: You're the GM 2013-14, 2014-15

Postby GeoTank on Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:29 pm

DelPen wrote:So Pens have 23 guys signed, over the cap by about $1.1 million.

Any bets that we just see Bennett and Despres start in WBS because they can?


Nope. We will trade one or more of the following.....

Nisky 2.3mill
Juicy 2.1mill
Glass 1.1mill

maybe even Orpik 3.75mill
GeoTank
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,053
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:07 am
Location: Bethel Park, PA

Re: You're the GM 2013-14, 2014-15

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:57 am

The one thing that bothers me in all of this is that we consider Despres and Bortuzzo "young" at 22 and 24 and they can't touch the ice. How are we ever going to get the truly young stud d-men we have on the ice? I guess since Dumoulin is the same age as Despres that he is the only one they will sincerely give a look at.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 587
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:19 pm

Re: You're the GM 2013-14, 2014-15

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:17 am

22 is really young in terms of NHL defensemen and development. It's not a bad thing that they haven't cracked an already deep lineup. Not everyone is NHL ready at 20.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,844
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: You're the GM 2013-14, 2014-15

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:20 am

Thats a lot different than the apparent attitude in this organization that "not anyone is nhl ready until they've played a season in the NHL".
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 52,230
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: You're the GM 2013-14, 2014-15

Postby meow on Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:43 am

Idoit40fans wrote:Thats a lot different than the apparent attitude in this organization that "not anyone is nhl ready until they've played a season in the NHL".

Don't mix up the apparent attitude of the organization with the definite attitude of clueless fans.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 7,199
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Re: You're the GM 2013-14, 2014-15

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:23 pm

I see all sides to the argument. On one hand Letang for example was brought along slow but still played a lot with some "protected" type minutes even in the playoffs in his 2nd and 3rd years.

On the other hand a guy like Despres was pretty awful in the playoffs.

Was that because he wasn't played enough in te regular season?

What came first the chicken or the egg? He has struggled with defense his entire pro career.

At some point though the Pens are going to need to play these young dmen early to take advantage of their entry level deal towards their tight cap space.

How many at one time and how quickly they develop to log minutes or be traded for value is going to be huge, especially in 3 seasons.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,068
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:42 am
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa

Re: You're the GM 2013-14, 2014-15

Postby pcm on Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:31 pm

"If you can play, we'll find a spot for you," Ducks director of player development Todd Marchant told NHL.com. "Don't care if you're 18, 19, 20, 21, however old you are. If you're going to be able to play in the National Hockey League, we're going to find a spot for you."

And that's how you remain competitive even when your star players go MIA.

Anaheim btw, is stock full of young forwards, even more so after trading Ryan. A great potential trade partner to restock the forward pool... Check out NHL.com today for more.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,122
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:39 am
Location: mountains

Re: You're the GM 2013-14, 2014-15

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:47 pm

pcm wrote:"If you can play, we'll find a spot for you," Ducks director of player development Todd Marchant told NHL.com. "Don't care if you're 18, 19, 20, 21, however old you are. If you're going to be able to play in the National Hockey League, we're going to find a spot for you."

And that's how you remain competitive even when your star players go MIA.

Anaheim btw, is stock full of young forwards, even more so after trading Ryan. A great potential trade partner to restock the forward pool... Check out NHL.com today for more.


The Blackhawks have taken the same approach while geezer teams like the Rangers fade away every year. More and more, those trade deadline moves Shero made last season look even more terrible.

At some point, one of these younger teams like the Isles, Oilers, Avs are going to break through and we'll still be waiting for "our" time with what will increasingly be an older squad. Not saying that we necessarily have a bunch of young studs who deserve ice time just that the current thinking seems to be so bent towards age and not youthful exuberance.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 587
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:19 pm

Re: You're the GM 2013-14, 2014-15

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:15 pm

pcm wrote:"If you can play, we'll find a spot for you," Ducks director of player development Todd Marchant told NHL.com. "Don't care if you're 18, 19, 20, 21, however old you are. If you're going to be able to play in the National Hockey League, we're going to find a spot for you."



How did that work out for them this year?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,844
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Sms75 and 14 guests

e-mail