Kovacevic on Bylsma

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Kovacevic on Bylsma

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:10 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:What has he done to show that he'd be of use to a team that is rebuilding?

Look at what Todd Richards did for the Blue Jackets after he stepped in for Arniel.

Point there being, you don't know what he'll be able to do until you give him the shot.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:20 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:What has he done to show that he'd be of use to a team that is rebuilding?

Look at what Todd Richards did for the Blue Jackets after he stepped in for Arniel.

...what does that have to do with Bylsma?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:26 pm

Read the rest of my post.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ScottishPenguin on Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:37 pm

Nothing empirically, by virtue of his only having coached one NHL team which won the cup four months into his tenure. That's why I said I wonder if rather than I know that.

His system is pretty straightforward, easy to learn and effective up and down the roster. His regular season record is excellent, and he seems to have a knack for getting good performances out of second and third string players; he won the Jack Adams for doing this. The most obvious shortcoming were he to be handed a rebuild team is his possibly favouring age and experience over youth and potential, but this may be a feature of handling a team that is looking to win now rather than in a couple of years.
ScottishPenguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby RxBandit66 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:47 pm

That meltdown against Philly was awful, and Bylsma was very fortunate to have been retained after that debacle. And for the entire coaching staff to be brought back, that was a tremendous showing of faith in a sport that basically goes by the motto "what have you done for me lately."

Even this season, despite a great roster, the PK was bad and the power play struggled in the early going. With the added veterans and the overall health of the team, it should be expected that the team goes far this year. I think Bylsma needs to win at least 2 playoff series to be safe. I'm no Bylsma fan, and that's an understatement. But I think if he wins another Cup this year, he'll be coaching in the NHL, and most likely in Pittsburgh, for a very long time.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:50 pm

ScottishPenguin wrote:

Nothing empirically, by virtue of his only having coached one NHL team which won the cup four months into his tenure. That's why I said I wonder if rather than I know that.

His system is pretty straightforward, easy to learn and effective up and down the roster. His regular season record is excellent, and he seems to have a knack for getting good performances out of second and third string players; he won the Jack Adams for doing this. The most obvious shortcoming were he to be handed a rebuild team is his possibly favouring age and experience over youth and potential, but this may be a feature of handling a team that is looking to win now rather than in a couple of years.

Yeah, all he has shown ability to do is take a Stanley Cup Caliber team and keep it a top 10 team. Not saying anyone can do that or that many could do that, but he hasn't taken a team through a rebuild.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:56 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
ScottishPenguin wrote:

Yeah, all he has shown ability to do is take a Stanley Cup Caliber team and keep it a top 10 team. Not saying anyone can do that or that many could do that, but he hasn't taken a team through a rebuild.

What about 2010-2011?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:06 pm

What about it?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:11 pm

Half a year without Sid and Geno and still maintained a high playoff spot.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:15 pm

What does that have to do with taking a team through a rebuild?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:18 pm

I'd think it shows he's capable of handling a lesser talented team. I don't see how having Crosby and Malkin makes him any less capable of coaching any team.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:25 pm

Well, he did a petty stellar job by all accounts with the Scraton/WB.

I think he's proven he can work well with young talent.

I think he's proven he can take a talented team to the playoffs every year.

He obviously won a cup. But, he has struggled in the Playoffs outside of that one year.

Whether or not thats a reason to replace him, meh, but we'll learn alot about him in the next few weeks.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, he needs to show he can instill a killer instinct in his team. To keep them focused (in palyoff games) and operating at 110% in games where they have a lead, or in series where they're the prohobitive favorite.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Godric on Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:30 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, he needs to show he can instill a killer instinct in his team.

This.

Its never been about losing. Its about losing to Montreal after being up 3-2, to Tampa Bay after being up 3-1, to Philadelphia and the players seemingly caring more about punching Flyers in the face than going for the cup.

Those teams didn't have Iginla and Morrow. The players didn't have that "Shut the **** up and don't take a penalty because those guys need a cup" mentality
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby meow on Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:32 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, he needs to show he can instill a killer instinct in his team. To keep them focused (in palyoff games) and operating at 110% in games where they have a lead, or in series where they're the prohobitive favorite.

Outside of the Montreal series, which the Pens ran into a hot goaltender, have they actually been the favorites?
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:33 pm

meow wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:

Outside of the Montreal series, which the Pens ran into a hot goaltender, have they actually been the favorites?

I'm not arguing that he's a bad coach, just arguing that there is no reason to assume that he is suited to rebuilding a team. He won with a team that was already a Stanley Cup caliber team. He got them up that last step.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ScottishPenguin on Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:16 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Not saying anyone can do that or that many could do that, but he hasn't taken a team through a rebuild.

When I say "wonder" I mean "wonder", as in speculate.

I'm curious to know why you think he wouldn't prosper in such an environment?
ScottishPenguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:27 pm

I'm not speculating one way or the other as to what he could do in any environment.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Mr. Colby on Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:34 pm

Kovy27 wrote:If we lose in the 1st or 2nd round(maybe the 3rd), I can't see DB surviving that. This team has 4 lines that could be top 2 lines anywhere else in the NHL. If we play Chicago in the Finals and lose....I can see him getting a pass.

That being said, can we trade Dejan to Winnipeg?

Winnipeg is not far enough away
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby penmyst on Wed May 01, 2013 7:54 am

Froggy wrote:The Bylsma hate is probably the most confusing aspect of our fandom. I don't get it. I really don't.

No, what you don't get is the difference between legitimate criticism and "hate".

Let me explain it to you:

When a coach leads his team to 3 straight disappointing playoff exits, much earlier than expected, in a city that has higher expectations than "good regular season record" (ala the Crapitals), and caps it off with one of the most historic embarrassments at the hands of the hated Flyers? He's going to get some scrutiny. Some unpleasant thoughts and opinions will come of it.

It'sagreatdayforhockey! wrote:
Right?

All the guy has done in his coaching career is:
-win a Stanley Cup (no coach has won more than that in the last 13 years)
-become the fastest coach in history to 200 wins
-lead his team to a conference #1 seed
-gained atleast 99 points in every regular season
-win the Jack Adams for coach of the year
-currently sits in 2nd for career win% of current coaches (4th all time)

plus, judging by interviews:
-is loved by the players
-is incredibly knowledgeable about the game/strategy/tactics/etc

Oh, but he likes to change lines too much and is in love with certain players apparently and was only a 4th line grinder in the NHL so he can't relate.

See above.

And the biggest knock on HCDB isn't his line changing antics, or his player career. It's his being outcoached in the playoffs, as well as seeming losing command of his players.

The regular season this year-- he seems to have done an admirable job addressing the latter. The former is yet to be seen. Get ready.
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Froggy on Wed May 01, 2013 12:05 pm

THANKS FOR EXPLAINING THAT TO ME! SORRY SO DUMB!
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Fire0nice228 on Wed May 01, 2013 12:16 pm

He actually did a pretty good job of it. Its not blind hate like you seem to be making it out to be.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Wed May 01, 2013 12:18 pm

Fire0nice228 wrote:He actually did a pretty good job of it. Its not blind hate like you seem to be making it out to be.

... and the people who call him a "dumbass" because he doesn't put out the line combos they want?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Fire0nice228 on Wed May 01, 2013 12:33 pm

Well it seems like he finally put Iginla on the RW with Sid and Dupuis so maybe those people were right? :)
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed May 01, 2013 12:34 pm

Froggy wrote:THANKS FOR EXPLAINING THAT TO ME! SORRY SO DUMB!

Its ok...everyone has their handicaps.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Great58 on Wed May 01, 2013 12:37 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
Fire0nice228 wrote:He actually did a pretty good job of it. Its not blind hate like you seem to be making it out to be.

... and the people who call him a "dumbass" because he doesn't put out the line combos they want?

And wasn't the praise for Byslma in 2009 was that he wasn't outcoached in the SCFs by Babcock the way HCMT was perceived to have been?
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins