ROUND 1 PENGUINS VS. ISLANDERS Pre-Game 1 Discussion Thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: ROUND 1 PENGUINS VS. ISLANDERS Pre-Game 1 Discussion Thr

Postby Factorial on Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:39 pm

Neither Crosby or Malkin have EVER scored on Nabokov. Isles in 5.
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:40 pm

Factorial wrote:Neither Crosby or Malkin have EVER scored on Nabokov. Isles in 5.

And *I* catch grief on this board :) :pop:
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby FreeCandy44 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:41 pm

Who had the best GDT against the Islanders this year? Said person needs to keep the juju going.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitt87 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:42 pm

KBone wrote:Crosby back this round?

Yes = Game 3 or 4 and/or things aren't going well

No = Penguins are manhandling the Isles and let him rest.

Sid getting back in the lineup has nothing to do with their performance in this series. If he's ready, he'll play...
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby iWonTheCup87 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:44 pm

KBone wrote:Crosby back this round?

Yes = Game 3 or 4 and/or things aren't going well

No = Penguins are manhandling the Isles and let him rest.

honestly unless the pens lost game 1 and or game 2 i would let crosby sit until round 2. We have more than enough talent to win this series without Sid so please dont come back unless you are 100%
iWonTheCup87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Bathgate on Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:45 pm

skullman80 wrote:Playing the Islanders now has nothing to do with that 93 debacle. It shouldn't even be a thought 20 years later.

Yes it sucked, and as a 10 year old I cried that night, but this matchup is about now and now then.

It’s not just David Volek’s 1993 goal but the colossal upset the Isles pulled off against a vastly superior Pens team. In 1982, the Isles achieved a colossal upset from the point at which they trailed the Pens 3-1 with 5 minutes left in Game 5 of a 5-game series. In 1975, the Isles performed their first colossal upset of the Pens when they came back from being down 3-0 in games.

Three series, three colossal upsets achieved by the Isles over the Pens. They were easily the three most crushing playoff defeats in Pens’ playoff history. Is this a cruel jinx that will happen again? I fear it will. I was rooting hard for the Bruins to beat Ottawa tonight so the Pens could avoid the Islanders.

Who else is apprehensive over facing the Islanders because of their playoff history?
Bathgate
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens#1 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:47 pm

Bathgate wrote:
skullman80 wrote:Playing the Islanders now has nothing to do with that 93 debacle. It shouldn't even be a thought 20 years later.

Yes it sucked, and as a 10 year old I cried that night, but this matchup is about now and now then.

It’s not just David Volek’s 1993 goal but the colossal upset the Isles pulled off against a vastly superior Pens team. In 1982, the Isles achieved a colossal upset from the point at which they trailed the Pens 3-1 with 5 minutes left in Game 5 of a 5-game series. In 1975, the Isles performed their first colossal upset of the Pens when they came back from being down 3-0 in games.

Three series, three colossal upsets achieved by the Isles over the Pens. They were easily the three most crushing playoff defeats in Pens’ playoff history. Is this a cruel jinx that will happen again? I fear it will. I was rooting hard for the Bruins to beat Ottawa tonight so the Pens could avoid the Islanders.

Who else is apprehensive over facing the Islanders because of their playoff history?

Not me
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:47 pm

Bathgate wrote:

I was a hardcore fan through all three of those series. I now live in the middle of LI.

Fear? Hell no. I want to beat them 10-0 , 8-2, 9-1, and 12-0
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby iWonTheCup87 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:50 pm

Bathgate wrote:

ok well its 20 years later and there are none of the same players on the Isles. They are NOT those teams at all. Not saying its not possible but that history means nothing and its going to get real annoying hearing about it all the time
iWonTheCup87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FreeCandy44 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:51 pm

Fear no....BUT I am still apprehensive about this team and the playoffs.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SteelCityFan on Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:51 pm

Factorial wrote:Neither Crosby or Malkin have EVER scored on Nabokov. Isles in 5.

NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER! Isle in 4
SteelCityFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Godric on Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:56 pm

Pens in 3. Tavares jumps off the roberto clemente bridge.
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby PhantomJB93 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:56 pm

I won't feel calm about this unless we get an early lead in the series and never look back. I still have nightmares about last year's playoffs, and the 93 playoffs and the way we came out and let the Isles take a crap on us early in the season isn't helping my confidence. Please just come out and dominate on Wednesday.
Last edited by PhantomJB93 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PhantomJB93
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby jwest21 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:04 pm

Godric wrote:Pens in 3. Tavares jumps off the roberto clemente bridge.

Wang hires investigator to determine if Cooke pushed him
jwest21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Godric on Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:06 pm

jwest21 wrote:
Godric wrote:Pens in 3. Tavares jumps off the roberto clemente bridge.

Wang hires investigator to determine if Cooke pushed him

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby booboo on Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:06 pm

Shakes wrote:
Dave Molinari ‏@MolinariPG 1m
Too bad it won’t be Pens-Sens in Rd. 1. Was looking forward to stories in Ottawa about Matt Cooke burning down orphanages, drowning puppies.

Wow, I thought he was just into drowning kitten, now puppies too? :)
Still, not all is lost. We just need OTT to beat MTL and well get our dose of Cookie fun.
booboo
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby booboo on Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:07 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:Fear? Hell no. I want to beat them 10-0 , 8-2, 9-1, and 12-0

I am sooo with you Sir!
booboo
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FreeCandy44 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:07 pm

PhantomJB93 wrote:I won't feel calm about this unless we get an early lead in the series and never look back. I still have nightmares about last year's playoffs, and the 93 playoffs and the way we came out and let the Isles take a crap on us early in the season isn't helping my confidence. Please just come out and dominate on Wednesday.

Exactly
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kovy27 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:08 pm

Wednesday - Friday - Sunday (Noon) - Tuesday
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens2005 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:09 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
Bathgate wrote:

I was a hardcore fan through all three of those series. I now live in the middle of LI.

Fear? Hell no. I want to beat them 10-0 , 8-2, 9-1, and 12-0

What happened in the 8-2 game? Poor goaltending? :pop:
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby bringitonhome on Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:09 pm

Wed 730
Fri 7:00
Sun 12:00
Tues 7:00
bringitonhome
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens2005 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:09 pm

Kovy27 wrote:Wednesday - Friday - Sunday (Noon) - Tuesday

**** noon playoff games. God I hate them.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FreeCandy44 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:14 pm

Eww noon?
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby iWonTheCup87 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:15 pm

Last year we came out on fire the first 2 games in the first periods and jumped out in front and collapsed. Lets hope we can take that intensity and have it for all 3 periods and play solid defense. I am still very nervous even though i am confident we have learned from last season but still until we win game 1 i will want to vomit
iWonTheCup87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:19 pm

Honestly the Pens should sweep. The Isles aren't good. They are one of two playoff teams that doesn't have a positive goal differential. They have the worst goals against of any playoff team, going against the highest scoring team in hockey. Worst five on five differential of any playoff team. Penalty kill isn't good going against the second best unit in the league. Below average faceoff team. Also not a lot of playoff experience on that team. This is not a good match-up for them as the Pens' strengths play right into their weaknesses.

Upsets happen but this shouldn't be close. What happened 20 years ago is irrelevant. I've been heavily critical of this team but I expect them to be much more focused this year.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins