ROUND 1 PENGUINS VS. ISLANDERS Pre-Game 1 Discussion Thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: ROUND 1 PENGUINS VS. ISLANDERS Pre-Game 1 Discussion Thr

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:43 am

silentom wrote:Pens will enter the second round wondering what is on the bottom of their shoes.

Pens in 4 cause I'm feeling bold today. :thumb:

Pens in four.

All of the normal concerns are out of the window for the Pens.

The Pens not only have experience, they have added guys at the trade deadline who were hungry, leaders and experienced.

This isn't your 2007 Penguins, and with all due respect to the 1993 team, it's not an over confident team either.

The biggest thing I'm worried about is them sustaining the effort over the entire four series stretch.

To me, it's all about how The team reacts when they get out to a lead, do they take their collective foot off of the accelerator, or do they finish off their opponent sby not letting up, ever, until they get a chance to raise the 'Cup.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:47 am

the whole 'sit crosby out til hes needed' bit seems a little odd. if crosby is really needed, i wouldnt want it to be his first game back. let him play as soon as he is ready
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby RxBandit66 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:54 am

First of all, this is not last year's candy-a** Penguins team. This season the team has different players, tougher and more motivated. The Islanders goal differential for the season was +/- 0 and the Pens were +46.

And that was despite all the injuries...and for the most part without the new acquisitions.

The games will be fairly close but this won't even be a series. Pens in 5.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby CERV96 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:06 am

Kaizer wrote:
FreeCandy44 wrote:Who had the best GDT against the Islanders this year? Said person needs to keep the juju going.

that would be CERV on march 10th, with a 6-1 win.

Wouldn't be able to do it. I will be at the game. Plus I am sure Rocco would have some issues as well. I think we got this no matter who is running the GDT
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Penspal on Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:08 am

Pens should and likely will win this series. They are so deep, have the playoff systems, experience, motivation, skills, etc etc etc.

However, if they are to fail, here is the recipe.

- Stupid penalties against the Pens (beware bad refereeing)
- PP goals by the Isles
- Nabakov standing on his head
- Injuries to key Penguins.
- Pens goaltending = last year's playoff performance

I honestly think it would take that perfect storm for a Penguins loss to happen in round one. Not going to say or reference this again as that would be bad juju. Considering this post the exercising of demons.

As for the Isles playoff history, the '93 Volek goal was heartbreaking. The classic reminder that no matter how good your team is, upsets are real and happen in hockey.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:14 am

Nabakov played for the Sharks. Just sayin'
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby littlemoonboot on Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:23 am

Weekend trip to Paris, hoping for nice weather during the day but gotta bring a laptop and hope for hotel wifi....Paris is always nice but PENS PLAYOFFS OMG!!!!!!

Idoit40fans wrote:Nabakov played for the Sharks. Just sayin'

:thumb:
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:31 am

The Isles speed might keep this series interesting, but I don't see an upset here. At least yet. :face:
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Beveridge on Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:36 am

I hope Orpik welcomes Tavares to the playoffs like he did Stamkos. (although I hope the series turns out differently :pop:)

Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby iWonTheCup87 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:38 am

so happy i will be very busy at work until wed night and luckily my hotel room has NBC Sports.

I am pretty nervous even though i am confident with this team but probably because it feels like this year has the most pressure of any pens team has had. I wasnt that pissed in 2010 against the Canadiens since we went to 2 straight SCF's. Then 2011 Crosby/Malkin were out and Letestu was on the first line with Kovy lol so its hard to be pissed when thats your lineup even though blowing a 3-1 lead wasnt acceptable. Then last season was a heart breaker not only losing to filthy but how we lost was bad because that was not Pens hockey. I feel like this is the best chance the Pens have had since 09 to make a run and theres no excuses now the team is stacked and now they are about 95% healthy. Even without Sid we could win the cup but he is just a bonus if hes back.

I dont think this series will go as far as pens bashers think it will, i think itll be quick and relatively close but 5 games max i think
iWonTheCup87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DocEmrick on Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:40 am

Lol I remember the video posted on the front page. I had to be 9 or 10 when it happened, I literally started crying
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:46 am

Crosby and Malkin still haven't put a goal past Nabokov yet right?
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:16 am

Orpik would get 2 minutes for boarding this year for that type of hit. :lol:
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:17 am

Do the Pens ever play on day one of the playoffs? I'm sure its happened in the last couple of year, but it seems like every time they're day 2 or 3.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DocEmrick on Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:20 am

Malkamaniac wrote:Crosby and Malkin still haven't put a goal past Nabokov yet right?

And they're both well aware of that fact.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:21 am

Prove it
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:21 am

cma3585 wrote:I actually wouldn't be shocked to see the Isles win game 1, the hockey media world and LGP explode, and then see the Pens win the next 4 convincingly. This team hasn't played a meaningful game in awhile and while the switch did appear to be on the 2nd half of last game, Bylsma was still tooling with lineups and honestly Peters just looked like absolute garbage. Nabokov gives us fits until we finally get one past him so I see it entirely possible Isles take a close game 1.

Did the Pens win game 1 in 2007 or was that game 2? Either way even inexperienced teams will manage to win 1 against a talented and experienced team.

Pens in 5
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:24 am

Pretty sure it was game 2.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:26 am

We got absolutely spanked in Game 1, won a lazy afternoon Game 2 and...that was about it. I remember Joe Corvo scored on an early PP in Game 1 and I think the series was pretty much over after that.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Shakes on Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:31 am

Letang Is The Truth wrote:the whole 'sit crosby out til hes needed' bit seems a little odd. if crosby is really needed, i wouldnt want it to be his first game back. let him play as soon as he is ready

This. And he will. Sid will play when he's cleared. And even if they're up 3-0 with three 5-0 shutouts, what a great way to get him back in . . . again, if he's cleared.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Hawkeynut on Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:53 am

At first I was kind of concerned to face the Islanders with a history of never defeating this team in the playoffs.

Folks bring up the '93 series against the Islanders. This was after the Pens winning back-to-back and absolutely dominating the regular season. I have a feeling that team eas playing off success which can lead to not giving 100%. It also was a team with a HUGE target on their backs where an upstart Cinderella team wants to slay the beast (david volek vs Goliath).

This year's Penguin team is not coming off a Stanley Cup, they are coming off a playoff performance that was downright pathetic. They never once looked like a team resting on their talent to win games this year, they looked focused and determined to work hard. This reminds me alot of the 2009 Pens except they have ALOT more talent and hungry players.

All in all, the Pens are going to blaze through the first round. Might not be a sweep but I can see a 5 gamer with the Isles taking a game in OT.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby PensFanInDC on Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:26 am

PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bathgate on Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:35 am

Bathgate wrote:
skullman80 wrote:Playing the Islanders now has nothing to do with that 93 debacle. It shouldn't even be a thought 20 years later.

Yes it sucked, and as a 10 year old I cried that night, but this matchup is about now and now then.

It’s not just David Volek’s 1993 goal but the colossal upset the Isles pulled off against a vastly superior Pens team. In 1982, the Isles achieved a colossal upset from the point at which they trailed the Pens 3-1 with 5 minutes left in Game 5 of a 5-game series. In 1975, the Isles performed their first colossal upset of the Pens when they came back from being down 3-0 in games.

Three series, three colossal upsets achieved by the Isles over the Pens. They were easily the three most crushing playoff defeats in Pens’ playoff history. Is this a cruel jinx that will happen again? I fear it will. I was rooting hard for the Bruins to beat Ottawa tonight so the Pens could avoid the Islanders.

Who else is apprehensive over facing the Islanders because of their playoff history?

The only way to exorcise a jinx is to keep bringing it up and keep talking about it, I think. Remember a few years ago I ran a long post about how the Pens were jinxed in Philly and I detailed some of the horrific circumstances regarding all those many crazy losses over so many years. Since then, the Pens have won about 75% of their games in Philly.

Similarly, a home-game-7 jinx needs to be exorcised. The Pens are what, something like 2-7 in Game 7’s at home? You get a Game 7 at home because you are supposed to be the better team, right? Then how come the Pens keep losing critical Game 7’s on home ice to inferior teams? Gotta be a jinx. Gotta keep mentioning it.
Bathgate
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby iWonTheCup87 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:57 pm

its going to get so old hearing about this 1993 thing constantly i cant wait to move on
iWonTheCup87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:04 pm

iWonTheCup87 wrote:its going to get so old hearing about this 1993 thing constantly i cant wait to move on

Let me give you something else to stew over....

columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins