Pseudo sellout Streak...Anyone need 45 together?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Pseudo sellout Streak...Anyone need 45 together?

Postby MRandall25 on Fri May 03, 2013 1:28 pm

Were there actually available tickets? Didn't look like there was an empty seat in the house.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,573
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Pseudo sellout Streak...Anyone need 45 together?

Postby Rylan on Fri May 03, 2013 1:34 pm

ITT: No one that has taken a class in Sports Marketing.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,022
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:07 am
Location: Dead and Without Love

Re: Pseudo sellout Streak...Anyone need 45 together?

Postby FreeCandy44 on Fri May 03, 2013 1:35 pm

On Ticketmaster as we speak, section 112 row a 1-2 only $670!
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 21,599
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:55 pm
Location: slappybrown loves mallo cups!

Re: Pseudo sellout Streak...Anyone need 45 together?

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Fri May 03, 2013 1:37 pm

Ossa wrote:
BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:
pfim wrote:The Pens have their policies in place for a reason. Questioning how they maximize profit without seeing any other information is a bit presumptuous.


The first 2 years in consol I saw my prices sky rocket while at the same time seeing the number of available tickets and student rushers sky rocket. Again, I like student rush but when I am subsidizing an attempted profit grab that seemed to fail and a sellout streak it gets pretty annoying.


That's the most ridiculous statement I've ever heard. It's not true at all. There were way more student rush tickets available at the Igloo. I'd student rush every other night. Also, there are more seats in Consol. 1,500 more.


Way more in 2004 maybe? Not in the end years. And here in lies the problem with this discussion.

Those who think there are less open tickets now and nothing you can say to change their minds.

Who cares if there are 1,500 more seats, it's much easier to get tickets as a general fan or student rush than it was in 2008 - 2010.
Last edited by BurghersAndDogsSports on Fri May 03, 2013 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,117
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:42 am
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa

Re: Pseudo sellout Streak...Anyone need 45 together?

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Fri May 03, 2013 1:42 pm

Jopaz wrote:After reading this thread, it seems like some people are unhappy that the Pens sell tickets for student rush, or think that because they have student rush tickets left then that somehow proves that prices are too high.

I think the Pens have a good business plan and know what they are doing. As a STH, I buy tickets at an agreed upon price, and I feel that I get a good price because I buy the whole season up front. The Pens get a commitment that those seats are sold for the whole year. They don't care if I re-sell them or make a profit....in fact they help to facilitate that via Ticket Exchange, and get another 10% there.
U
While the Pens could sell all seats as a season package, they choose to keep around 3,000 available for single game sales. They sell these at a higher price, but they take the risk that some may not be sold and those end up as student rush, promotional give-aways, donate to charity or military folks, etc. They probably figure on getting about the same revenue (or more) for that seat over the course of the season as they would by selling it as a season package.

I don't see a problem with any of this. They are trying to have some balanced options for the fans. It does not change anything for me if they want to sell tickets for student rush or give them away. It's their decision. I really don't care about the sellout streak, and would expect it to end some Tuesday night next October. That will not change anything but we can stop talking about it.

Also, for the playoffs, I suspect a number of corporate STH owners do not buy the playoff package, either due to additional cost, short notice on game schedules, or it is too intense for business related events. This actually makes more tickets available for playoffs than for regular season. And some people buy the playoff package knowing that they can't go afford to go to all of the games but maybe will sell a couple to help with the costs. The fact that the Pens lets STH pay after the end of the round rather than in advance helps fans to manage the cost.

In general, they are a good organization and they have a good business plan. The idea that they are somehow not treating fans fairly just does not make sense to me. As fans, we always have the option to not buy what they are selling.


I could go through this but don't have time. People just look for excuses like your playoff statement and people always cancel.

It's not true - they never offered us additional seats and in fact would go out of their way to make sure we knew there were none available.......until last year. Historically these statements are wrong.

Everyone always looks to the corporations cancel excuse....and it's flat out false.

Back to the grind.
Last edited by BurghersAndDogsSports on Sat May 04, 2013 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,117
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:42 am
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa

Re: Pseudo sellout Streak...Anyone need 45 together?

Postby roland on Fri May 03, 2013 1:42 pm

On the Ticket Exchange as we speak. section 109 row Y $175 each. Gate price (thru ticketmaster) is $230 including fees. STH pay $150. Now the kicker is at $175 per ticket...and since its the playoffs, the Pens ticket exchange charges a 15% fee (10% during regular season) which means the season ticket holder who paid $150 and is selling for $175 is going to get $148.75 for that ticket.
roland
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 889
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:08 pm

Re: Pseudo sellout Streak...Anyone need 45 together?

Postby newarenanow on Fri May 03, 2013 1:59 pm

roland wrote:On the Ticket Exchange as we speak. section 109 row Y $175 each. Gate price (thru ticketmaster) is $230 including fees. STH pay $150. Now the kicker is at $175 per ticket...and since its the playoffs, the Pens ticket exchange charges a 15% fee (10% during regular season) which means the season ticket holder who paid $150 and is selling for $175 is going to get $148.75 for that ticket.


The person should either bump up the price another $5, or find someone to buy it for $150+ outside of the site.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,500
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Re: Pseudo sellout Streak...Anyone need 45 together?

Postby mac5155 on Fri May 03, 2013 2:08 pm

Yeah someone please show me where I can get uppers for $60 a piece. I would totally buy them.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 47,831
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:06 pm
Location: governor of Fayettenam

Re: Pseudo sellout Streak...Anyone need 45 together?

Postby Ossa on Fri May 03, 2013 2:55 pm

Kovy27 wrote:
Ossa wrote:
BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:
pfim wrote:The Pens have their policies in place for a reason. Questioning how they maximize profit without seeing any other information is a bit presumptuous.


The first 2 years in consol I saw my prices sky rocket while at the same time seeing the number of available tickets and student rushers sky rocket. Again, I like student rush but when I am subsidizing an attempted profit grab that seemed to fail and a sellout streak it gets pretty annoying.


That's the most ridiculous statement I've ever heard. It's not true at all. There were way more student rush tickets available at the Igloo. I'd student rush every other night. Also, there are more seats in Consol. 1,500 more.


So, here's my beef. You are a bigger part of the problem than just the whole student rush process. You have season tickets and you are still student rushing while probably making a profit off your tickets.

While the Pens really don't give too **** what you are doing, there are people sitting on the waiting list that could fill those seats which means you could still sell your tickets, but you would be forced to sit at home watching the game instead of making money + going to the game.

That's my 2 cents. I student rushed when no one was going to the games and I have my season tickets now...but there is 10k+ on the waiting list that deserve to be in those seats over some college student.


So you don't like the student rush program because a couple people who use the program might also be season ticket holders. Let's just get rid of student rush then for the 99% of students who don't have season tickets because of the 1%. Makes perfect sense to me.

Why do I student rush? Well I only have 2 tickets as a STH. It's a lot more fun to go to a game with a group of friends than with say my brother or my dad. Plus, I also like to sit in and enjoy watching the game from different parts of the arena. I student rush maybe once or twice a season, so I don't abuse the program by any means.
Ossa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 914
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:08 pm

Re: Pseudo sellout Streak...Anyone need 45 together?

Postby Ossa on Fri May 03, 2013 3:01 pm

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:
Ossa wrote:
BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:
pfim wrote:The Pens have their policies in place for a reason. Questioning how they maximize profit without seeing any other information is a bit presumptuous.


The first 2 years in consol I saw my prices sky rocket while at the same time seeing the number of available tickets and student rushers sky rocket. Again, I like student rush but when I am subsidizing an attempted profit grab that seemed to fail and a sellout streak it gets pretty annoying.


That's the most ridiculous statement I've ever heard. It's not true at all. There were way more student rush tickets available at the Igloo. I'd student rush every other night. Also, there are more seats in Consol. 1,500 more.


Way more in 2004 maybe? Not in the end years. And here in lies the problem with this discussion.

Those who think there are less open tickets now and nothing you can say to change their minds.

Who cares if there are 1,500 more seats, it's much easier to get tickets as a general fan or student rush than it was in 2008 - 2010.


Who cares if there are 1,500 more seats!?!? Have you taken a high school level economics class?
Ossa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 914
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:08 pm

Re: Pseudo sellout Streak...Anyone need 45 together?

Postby Rylan on Fri May 03, 2013 5:26 pm

mac5155 wrote:Yeah someone please show me where I can get uppers for $60 a piece. I would totally buy them.


You seem like someone that needs downers before he would need uppers. And besides, 60 bucks a pop is a lot for an upper, I can't you something for a fraction of that. :pop:
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,022
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:07 am
Location: Dead and Without Love

Re: Pseudo sellout Streak...Anyone need 45 together?

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Fri May 03, 2013 5:26 pm

Ossa wrote:
BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:
Ossa wrote:
BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:
pfim wrote:The Pens have their policies in place for a reason. Questioning how they maximize profit without seeing any other information is a bit presumptuous.


The first 2 years in consol I saw my prices sky rocket while at the same time seeing the number of available tickets and student rushers sky rocket. Again, I like student rush but when I am subsidizing an attempted profit grab that seemed to fail and a sellout streak it gets pretty annoying.


That's the most ridiculous statement I've ever heard. It's not true at all. There were way more student rush tickets available at the Igloo. I'd student rush every other night. Also, there are more seats in Consol. 1,500 more.


Way more in 2004 maybe? Not in the end years. And here in lies the problem with this discussion.

Those who think there are less open tickets now and nothing you can say to change their minds.

Who cares if there are 1,500 more seats, it's much easier to get tickets as a general fan or student rush than it was in 2008 - 2010.


Who cares if there are 1,500 more seats!?!? Have you taken a high school level economics class?


Not sure what your point you are trying to make. If you are saying there are more seats so we should expect more to be open then you agree with my premise, not disagree. If you are saying that more seats means different pricing then that has relevance to the fact that our prices keep raising while they need help selling these extra 1,500 seats. Which btw - is part of simple economics regarding supply, demand and extra product being input into the marketplace.

Then it would smarter to adjust pricing to sell them out at a higher price say to wait list or just general fans who will spend to a $$ limit (not try force extra high pricing in hopes of selling them) while still keeping some for students for long term marketing plans, not raise your best customers prices an insane amount every year to balance out the fact you need to sell those cheap last minute to dump empty seats.

If you are just making a blanket statement because 1,500 seats is a big number and it should simply matter while trying to justify economics well that is the American way. Big numbers add in a few !!!!! And you made a solid argument.
Last edited by BurghersAndDogsSports on Sat May 04, 2013 9:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,117
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:42 am
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa

Re: Pseudo sellout Streak...Anyone need 45 together?

Postby drnort on Sat May 04, 2013 9:20 am

roland wrote:On the Ticket Exchange as we speak. section 109 row Y $175 each. Gate price (thru ticketmaster) is $230 including fees. STH pay $150. Now the kicker is at $175 per ticket...and since its the playoffs, the Pens ticket exchange charges a 15% fee (10% during regular season) which means the season ticket holder who paid $150 and is selling for $175 is going to get $148.75 for that ticket.


I was only charged 10% for the playoff games.

I believe the 15% is for non-season ticket holders listing seats.
drnort
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,594
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:56 pm

Re: Pseudo sellout Streak...Anyone need 45 together?

Postby Ossa on Sat May 04, 2013 1:28 pm

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:Not sure what your point you are trying to make. If you are saying there are more seats so we should expect more to be open then you agree with my premise, not disagree. If you are saying that more seats means different pricing then that has relevance to the fact that our prices keep raising while they need help selling these extra 1,500 seats. Which btw - is part of simple economics regarding supply, demand and extra product being input into the marketplace.

Then it would smarter to adjust pricing to sell them out at a higher price say to wait list or just general fans who will spend to a $$ limit (not try force extra high pricing in hopes of selling them) while still keeping some for students for long term marketing plans, not raise your best customers prices an insane amount every year to balance out the fact you need to sell those cheap last minute to dump empty seats.

If you are just making a blanket statement because 1,500 seats is a big number and it should simply matter while trying to justify economics well that is the American way. Big numbers add in a few !!!!! And you made a solid argument.


Yeah it was more of a blanket statement. I think you understand the point I was trying to make.
Ossa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 914
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:08 pm

Re: Pseudo sellout Streak...Anyone need 45 together?

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Sun May 05, 2013 6:10 pm

Ossa wrote:
BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:Not sure what your point you are trying to make. If you are saying there are more seats so we should expect more to be open then you agree with my premise, not disagree. If you are saying that more seats means different pricing then that has relevance to the fact that our prices keep raising while they need help selling these extra 1,500 seats. Which btw - is part of simple economics regarding supply, demand and extra product being input into the marketplace.

Then it would smarter to adjust pricing to sell them out at a higher price say to wait list or just general fans who will spend to a $$ limit (not try force extra high pricing in hopes of selling them) while still keeping some for students for long term marketing plans, not raise your best customers prices an insane amount every year to balance out the fact you need to sell those cheap last minute to dump empty seats.

If you are just making a blanket statement because 1,500 seats is a big number and it should simply matter while trying to justify economics well that is the American way. Big numbers add in a few !!!!! And you made a solid argument.


Yeah it was more of a blanket statement. I think you understand the point I was trying to make.


Actually I have no idea what point you were trying to make. That me saying who cares about 1500 seats related to more open seats and my costs - and you trying to turn that into a blanket economics statement, I'm not computing.

By saying there are 1500 more seats as an excuse for more opens you agree with me, not disagree. as it was you who stated something to the effect of me saying Mellon had more opens was the most absurd thing ever while also pointing out there are more seats.

Circles.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,117
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:42 am
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa

Re: Pseudo sellout Streak...Anyone need 45 together?

Postby Ossa on Mon May 06, 2013 3:40 pm

Now game 5 might end the streak. Seats available in nearly every section.

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/16004 ... 819858485C
Ossa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 914
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:08 pm

Re: Pseudo sellout Streak...Anyone need 45 together?

Postby skullman80 on Mon May 06, 2013 3:44 pm

There are tickets cheaper on ticket exchange in some of the upper levels compared to the ticketmaster site.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,454
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:55 pm
Location: New Kensington, PA

Re: Pseudo sellout Streak...Anyone need 45 together?

Postby Ossa on Mon May 06, 2013 3:46 pm

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:
Ossa wrote:
BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:Not sure what your point you are trying to make. If you are saying there are more seats so we should expect more to be open then you agree with my premise, not disagree. If you are saying that more seats means different pricing then that has relevance to the fact that our prices keep raising while they need help selling these extra 1,500 seats. Which btw - is part of simple economics regarding supply, demand and extra product being input into the marketplace.

Then it would smarter to adjust pricing to sell them out at a higher price say to wait list or just general fans who will spend to a $$ limit (not try force extra high pricing in hopes of selling them) while still keeping some for students for long term marketing plans, not raise your best customers prices an insane amount every year to balance out the fact you need to sell those cheap last minute to dump empty seats.

If you are just making a blanket statement because 1,500 seats is a big number and it should simply matter while trying to justify economics well that is the American way. Big numbers add in a few !!!!! And you made a solid argument.


Yeah it was more of a blanket statement. I think you understand the point I was trying to make.


Actually I have no idea what point you were trying to make. That me saying who cares about 1500 seats related to more open seats and my costs - and you trying to turn that into a blanket economics statement, I'm not computing.

By saying there are 1500 more seats as an excuse for more opens you agree with me, not disagree. as it was you who stated something to the effect of me saying Mellon had more opens was the most absurd thing ever while also pointing out there are more seats.

Circles.


I honestly don't exactly remember what I was arguing. I was busy at work so I was in an argumentative mood. Sorry.

There were more student rush tickets available at Mellon than Consol. I remember, I've student rushed at both. However, with the 1,500 more seats at Consol it is reasonable to understand why they still have student rush with the new arena. So I agree, I just cherry picked your paragraph.
Ossa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 914
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:08 pm

Re: Pseudo sellout Streak...Anyone need 45 together?

Postby Bathgate on Mon May 06, 2013 3:50 pm

It appears they will not sell many more tickets via Ticketmaster if they are cheaper on the secondary market. Can they sell 1,500 Student Rush tickets by Thursday to save the streak?
Bathgate
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 998
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:16 pm

Re: Pseudo sellout Streak...Anyone need 45 together?

Postby skullman80 on Mon May 06, 2013 3:52 pm

You tell 1500 kids to lineup for cheap tickets, and I'm sure they will.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,454
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:55 pm
Location: New Kensington, PA

Re: Pseudo sellout Streak...Anyone need 45 together?

Postby blackjack68 on Mon May 06, 2013 3:52 pm

I'm sure they will.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,308
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:12 am
Location: formerly Pittsburgh, now NJ

Re: Pseudo sellout Streak...Anyone need 45 together?

Postby Ossa on Mon May 06, 2013 3:53 pm

They'll probably have the student rush online. It was this bad during the Lightning series and student rush all ways came through at the end.
Ossa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 914
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:08 pm

Re: Pseudo sellout Streak...Anyone need 45 together?

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Mon May 06, 2013 5:04 pm

Ossa wrote:
BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:
Ossa wrote:
BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:Not sure what your point you are trying to make. If you are saying there are more seats so we should expect more to be open then you agree with my premise, not disagree. If you are saying that more seats means different pricing then that has relevance to the fact that our prices keep raising while they need help selling these extra 1,500 seats. Which btw - is part of simple economics regarding supply, demand and extra product being input into the marketplace.

Then it would smarter to adjust pricing to sell them out at a higher price say to wait list or just general fans who will spend to a $$ limit (not try force extra high pricing in hopes of selling them) while still keeping some for students for long term marketing plans, not raise your best customers prices an insane amount every year to balance out the fact you need to sell those cheap last minute to dump empty seats.

If you are just making a blanket statement because 1,500 seats is a big number and it should simply matter while trying to justify economics well that is the American way. Big numbers add in a few !!!!! And you made a solid argument.


Yeah it was more of a blanket statement. I think you understand the point I was trying to make.


Actually I have no idea what point you were trying to make. That me saying who cares about 1500 seats related to more open seats and my costs - and you trying to turn that into a blanket economics statement, I'm not computing.

By saying there are 1500 more seats as an excuse for more opens you agree with me, not disagree. as it was you who stated something to the effect of me saying Mellon had more opens was the most absurd thing ever while also pointing out there are more seats.

Circles.


I honestly don't exactly remember what I was arguing. I was busy at work so I was in an argumentative mood. Sorry.

There were more student rush tickets available at Mellon than Consol. I remember, I've student rushed at both. However, with the 1,500 more seats at Consol it is reasonable to understand why they still have student rush with the new arena. So I agree, I just cherry picked your paragraph.


No need to apologize I think we agree with the concept. Just got wrapped up in too specific of details.

People constantly argue with me that things are so great yet since Consol my prices keep going up while more and more seats are available. It makes no sense and people go out of their way to find excuses. I have been saying for a year that they are playing with fire and everyone just calls me out.

Now an important or likely series clinching game and again it will be filled with $30 tickets when all of their best and most loyal customers are footing the bill for their arrogance and stupidity.

They had so many cancels for last year and everyone excuses it as "companies don't take playoffs". I warned last year as a season holder it was a joke, they were begging us to buy, never had cancels before there is no reason other than a bad pricing model. Now they trade for a few guys and BOOM the pricing arrogance returns and here we are with all these opens on games that used to sellout in minutes.

I spent time on here a few months ago even showing someone how other teams prices are not even close because there are a lot of places that include food, buffets, alcohol, soda. The response was "I thought you didn't like free stuff" or "that's not that much of a % of the price" as if a beer and buffet doesn't run you $50. I just left the discussion....their prices are even higher than people think when you compare beyond the ticket price.

Where are the people who made fun of the islanders for having some ones still on Saturday?
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,117
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:42 am
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa

Re: Pseudo sellout Streak...Anyone need 45 together?

Postby knives of ice on Mon May 06, 2013 5:57 pm

yeah, i thought it was laughable people making fun of the islanders. tickets for their first home game were far far harder to get than a ticket to game 1 in pittsburgh. granted, more expensive here but they had far fewer tickets available on ticketmaster.

i'd love to see that chart comparing our playoff prices to other teams in the league.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,790
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:36 pm
Location: good riddance Armstrong

Re: Pseudo sellout Streak...Anyone need 45 together?

Postby Great58 on Mon May 06, 2013 6:15 pm

I'd love to see that chart comparing our playoff prices to other teams in the league.

Box-office, or stub-hub prices?
Looks like on stubhub the Pens are commanding about the same as the Islanders, and less than Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa and NYR.
Of course the Islander rate is inflated as a result of Crosby being in the game IMO.

I took a Bruins STH to the CEC this year. While his tickets are cheaper, he said the CEC was much nicer, the seats more comfortable, rows wider, and the overall event package (media display, ice time program, between periods report, etc) was all better in PGH. Apples and oranges.
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,642
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:56 pm
Location: On the blue line

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CERV96, Cheeez, Chirpin' Grinder, DudeMan2766, Hugo Stiglitz, jcgopens, Jim, lemieuxReturns, meow, scals37 and 26 guests


e-mail