Pseudo sellout Streak...Anyone need 45 together?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Pseudo sellout Streak...Anyone need 45 together?

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon May 06, 2013 5:34 pm

Great58 wrote:
I'd love to see that chart comparing our playoff prices to other teams in the league.

Box-office, or stub-hub prices?
Looks like on stubhub the Pens are commanding about the same as the Islanders, and less than Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa and NYR.
Of course the Islander rate is inflated as a result of Crosby being in the game IMO.

I took a Bruins STH to the CEC this year. While his tickets are cheaper, he said the CEC was much nicer, the seats more comfortable, rows wider, and the overall event package (media display, ice time program, between periods report, etc) was all better in PGH. Apples and oranges.

he's right, Boston barn, while only about 16 years old was poorly conceived and designed.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby skullman80 on Mon May 06, 2013 5:46 pm

I can't blame people for not wanting to pay 100$ plus a ticket to sit in the upper level at Consol for a playoff game, or 200 or 300$ to sit in the lower levels or in the club seats. I know some can afford it, and that is great, but unless its at least the ECF or SCF I'm not shelling out that much money for a game. 230$/ticket in the 100's and 300$ plus a ticket in the club levels is just insane. JMO though, if people pay it then the Pens are doing something right.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Great58 on Mon May 06, 2013 5:51 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
Great58 wrote:
I'd love to see that chart comparing our playoff prices to other teams in the league.

Looks like on stubhub the Pens are commanding about the same as the Islanders, and less than Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa and NYR.
Of course the Islander rate is inflated as a result of Crosby being in the game IMO.

I took a Bruins STH to the CEC this year. While his tickets are cheaper, he said the CEC was much nicer, the seats more comfortable, rows wider, and the overall event package (media display, ice time program, between periods report, etc) was all better in PGH. Apples and oranges.

he's right, Boston barn, while only about 16 years old was poorly conceived and designed.

And it's more than the building even. It's the production value of the presentation, the overall media package. As an "EVENT", the Penguins put on a good show.

I might appreciate paying less for a less well produced overall game product, all I care about is the game. But the Pens do a good job entertaining the crowd beyond the game itself, so I am sure that there are many spouses, kids, business connections, et al that benefit from that extra media.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Bathgate on Mon May 06, 2013 6:01 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
Great58 wrote:

Don't necessarily agree with that; saw the Pens play there a couple of years ago. The interior of TD Garden is more attractive and intimate and the upper bowl is much closer, as it overhangs the luxury boxes rather than being set back from them. The seats could be narrower, though.
Bathgate
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Mon May 06, 2013 6:03 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
Great58 wrote:

Boston arena isn't nice at all. Agreed. But as I stared earlier you can't compare prices because a lot of the tickets at other places have a lot of cash value. If you are like me and use these games as a social outlet and enjoy pre gaming some food and drinks you can do that and more as part of your ticket at most places.

Not too mention (personal vendetta) I can actually *gasp* sit down or be in a fun area.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby drnort on Tue May 07, 2013 9:44 am

No matter what your opinion is on the Pens pricing scheme, it really is a shame to see so many tickets sitting available on ticketmaster 2 days before a Game 5. And I understand why it bothers a lot of people that they pay $200+ for a ticket, only to watch someone else purchase the seat next to them for $30.

That said - I also cannot understand why the market value for regular season games in April was higher than tickets for playoff games in May. If I tried selling my tickets for Thursday, I would get less money than I received for the majority of the April games. It seems to be that way every year. Demand for the first round is extremely low. The only reason I can think of, is the preconceived notion that its impossible to buy tickets for Pens playoff games, so people do not even try.
drnort
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby skullman80 on Tue May 07, 2013 9:47 am

I think its more of people expect the Pens get past the first round now. It's an expectation that wasn't always there. Now people don't seem to really start buying up tickets until the Conference finals or the SCF. It's just the way it is now. People expect this team to make deep runs, so the first round or two is just kind of like.. meh.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby C4 Row E on Tue May 07, 2013 10:00 am

There are hundred of seats available in any section in the building. Pick a spot, seriously.
C4 Row E
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby newarenanow on Tue May 07, 2013 10:04 am

skullman80 wrote:I think its more of people expect the Pens get past the first round now. It's an expectation that wasn't always there. Now people don't seem to really start buying up tickets until the Conference finals or the SCF. It's just the way it is now. People expect this team to make deep runs, so the first round or two is just kind of like.. meh.

I think it's this and what dnort said, a mix that people think they will go far, so they are saving up for later rounds, and the thought that it is impossible to get a ticket.

I paid for my season tickets by selling six games during the regular season and got a nice profit. For the first playoff game and for Game 5, I made money but not nearly as much as I did selling the regular season games.

And part of it is because of people like me. I put up my first round tickets because I'm holding off for the Conference FInals and SCFs.

I may miss out, but I'm taking the chance of going to the later rounds. I've been to a few early round playoff games in the past few years, so it doesn't get me as pumped up as the later rounds.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eddiefromirwin on Tue May 07, 2013 10:05 am

There are a lot of problems here with this series. First, mid-week games are not as strong as weekend games. Two of the first three home games have been mid-week games. Second, this is a bad opponent. Not a bad hockey team, just a team that there is no special hatred for by fans(although there should be hatred!). If we were talking Flyers, Rangers, Capitals, Bruins...it would be different. Even Carolina, where there is a connection (Staal), it would be better. Toronto and Montreal would be great because they would draw fans from canada, who are used to paying top dollar for good seats to hockey games. Basically, this was about the worst opponent for selling tickets that the Pens could have drawn.

I fear that round 2 will be no better, as I think Ottawa will be the likely opponent. Nobody here will care about Ottawa, and these tickets will face for about 180 (lowers) for season ticket holders. Face through ticketmaster may be 270. Far too expensive.....those college kids will be getting plenty of tickets at those prices.
eddiefromirwin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby topshelf66 on Tue May 07, 2013 10:05 am

After the past few years, I think some of it has to do with people not wanted to pay the $$$ to witness the heartbreak of this team losing to a lesser opponent again.

I would expcet that once we get to round 2 that this is no longer an issue.
topshelf66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby beLIEve on Tue May 07, 2013 10:18 am

eddiefromirwin wrote:mid-week games are not as strong as weekend games.

I've been watching ticket prices on the exchange and in the third market for multiple years now, and this is really the determining factor as to the value of tickets. Opponent is largely meaningless (though the Flyers are a noted exception). Its people's desire for weekend games (Saturday night being the biggest draw) that explains how you end up with regular season tickets going for more than playoff tickets. There are far more people looking to go to a regular season Saturday game than people looking to go to a Thursday first round playoff game.

I'm a season ticket holder, and I see this with friends and family who are looking to get games off of me. I've had relatively minimal people ask me for a weekday game. When I ask which game they want to go to, the first answer is nearly always "any weekend games left?". And it makes sense when you think about it. People have lives/families after all.
beLIEve
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby thepittman on Tue May 07, 2013 10:29 am

C4 Row E wrote:There are hundred of seats available in any section in the building. Pick a spot, seriously.

Just bought 200 level tickets at $99 a piece
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby newarenanow on Tue May 07, 2013 10:33 am

C4 Row E wrote:There are hundred of seats available in any section in the building. Pick a spot, seriously.

Most will be sold by gametime.

We go through this every single year.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eddiefromirwin on Tue May 07, 2013 10:37 am

newarenanow wrote:

Yeah, but a lot are sold for next to nothing outside the CEC.
eddiefromirwin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby newarenanow on Tue May 07, 2013 10:51 am

eddiefromirwin wrote:
newarenanow wrote:

And? If you take the chance of selling them in the secondary market, it is a risk you take. The Pens made their money on those tickets. That's all that matters to them.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby lifetimefan on Tue May 07, 2013 10:59 am

Those are tickets for the families of the Islanders. Once the Islanders decline the tickets they go for sale to the public. They will sold.
lifetimefan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby eddiefromirwin on Tue May 07, 2013 11:03 am

newarenanow wrote:
eddiefromirwin wrote:
newarenanow wrote:

And? If you take the chance of selling them in the secondary market, it is a risk you take. The Pens made their money on those tickets. That's all that matters to them.

Go check ticketmaster and see how many tickets are still available to Game #5. These won't sell by gametime. They will be taken off ticketmaster and sold to college kids for 30 bucks. These are 200-300 dollar tickets given to college kids. So a STH, who pays 9 grand for their regular season lower level tickets and hundreds for playoff tickets sits next to a college kid who got their tickets for 30 bucks. Or someone outside who bought their tickets before the game for 50 bucks.

This is bad all the way around. The Pens aren't selling their seats, and are giving them away. Season ticket holders catch on as well, and drop their plans knowing that they can go far cheaper if they pick up tickets very late in the game.

No, there is nothing good about this.
eddiefromirwin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby eddiefromirwin on Tue May 07, 2013 11:04 am

lifetimefan wrote:Those are tickets for the families of the Islanders. Once the Islanders decline the tickets they go for sale to the public. They will sold.

They don't list tickets held for families on ticketmaster.
eddiefromirwin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Tue May 07, 2013 11:08 am

I don't want to sound like a broken record, but again everyone is digging deep for reasoning beyond the obvious: people don't want to pay. I find it hard to believe that after 5 years of a wait list THIS is the year people don't think tickets are available or this is the year the date if the week matters, just like this is the year for any other excuse.

The Pens used to announce 3,000 tickets available for round one, game 6 on sale tomorrow at 10. At 10:02 they were gone and everyone complained they lied about how many were available. It was just a demand thing, they had them available and they sold. Monday, Tuesday, Wed, Sat or Sun at noon it didn't matter.

They out priced themselves because they can fall back on student rush and are clearly paying a price for it now.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Ossa on Tue May 07, 2013 11:09 am

lifetimefan wrote:Those are tickets for the families of the Islanders. Once the Islanders decline the tickets they go for sale to the public. They will sold.

No. They don't reserve a thousand tickets for families.
Ossa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Tue May 07, 2013 11:10 am

newarenanow wrote:
eddiefromirwin wrote:
newarenanow wrote:

Point being if I can buy tickets outside for $50 I'm not paying $200 online so that is part of a reason there are to let's left on ticket master.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pfim on Tue May 07, 2013 11:11 am

eddiefromirwin wrote:
Go check ticketmaster and see how many tickets are still available to Game #5. These won't sell by gametime. They will be taken off ticketmaster and sold to college kids for 30 bucks. These are 200-300 dollar tickets given to college kids. So a STH, who pays 9 grand for their regular season lower level tickets and hundreds for playoff tickets sits next to a college kid who got their tickets for 30 bucks. Or someone outside who bought their tickets before the game for 50 bucks.

This is bad all the way around. The Pens aren't selling their seats, and are giving them away. Season ticket holders catch on as well, and drop their plans knowing that they can go far cheaper if they pick up tickets very late in the game.

So, what price to STH need to pay for the games to sell out? Do the Penguins make more or less money at that price?

I don't have any data, but logic would dictate that seats would need to be drastically reduced to sell out. So much so, that keeping them at the current price makes more sense. If you're not willing to buy at $230, not sure you'd be willing to buy at $210.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Tue May 07, 2013 11:11 am

eddiefromirwin wrote:Go check ticketmaster and see how many tickets are still available to Game #5. These won't sell by gametime. They will be taken off ticketmaster and sold to college kids for 30 bucks. These are 200-300 dollar tickets given to college kids. So a STH, who pays 9 grand for their regular season lower level tickets and hundreds for playoff tickets sits next to a college kid who got their tickets for 30 bucks. Or someone outside who bought their tickets before the game for 50 bucks.

I don't see a massive drop in STH and the Pens seem to be doing well financially.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Tue May 07, 2013 11:12 am

Ossa wrote:

No. They don't reserve a thousand tickets for families.

Yeah it's probably a hundred at most and they come available day of game in the afternoon. I know people who go to every Steelers game (or a lot) by waiting at the window for away team family I lets to come available.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins