Pseudo sellout Streak...Anyone need 45 together?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Pseudo sellout Streak...Anyone need 45 together?

Postby newarenanow on Tue May 07, 2013 12:13 pm

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:Point being if I can buy tickets outside for $50 I'm not paying $200 online so that is part of a reason there are to let's left on ticket master.


Did you buy your tickets outside for Game 1?
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,437
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Re: Pseudo sellout Streak...Anyone need 45 together?

Postby pfim on Tue May 07, 2013 12:14 pm

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:
Point being if I can buy tickets outside for $50 I'm not paying $200 online so that is part of a reason there are to let's left on ticket master.


Then that's what you should do. And if enough people do that and the Pens see a drop in revenues, the price will be adjusted.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,789
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:35 am
Location: Sitting in front of my computer

Re: Pseudo sellout Streak...Anyone need 45 together?

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Tue May 07, 2013 12:19 pm

newarenanow wrote:
eddiefromirwin wrote:Go check ticketmaster and see how many tickets are still available to Game #5. These won't sell by gametime. They will be taken off ticketmaster and sold to college kids for 30 bucks. These are 200-300 dollar tickets given to college kids. So a STH, who pays 9 grand for their regular season lower level tickets and hundreds for playoff tickets sits next to a college kid who got their tickets for 30 bucks. Or someone outside who bought their tickets before the game for 50 bucks.

This is bad all the way around. The Pens aren't selling their seats, and are giving them away. Season ticket holders catch on as well, and drop their plans knowing that they can go far cheaper if they pick up tickets very late in the game.

No, there is nothing good about this.


I don't see a massive drop in STH and the Pens seem to be doing well financially.


I disagree. Their pricing models seem to push the envelope to make up for lost money. Season Holders the past two years have declined so many playoff tickets they allow us to buy more for the first time ever.

You are probably right to a degree that enough people pay a high enough cost, but for a team that has a wait list having plenty of open seats is going to kill them long run.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,113
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:42 am
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa

Re: Pseudo sellout Streak...Anyone need 45 together?

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Tue May 07, 2013 12:20 pm

newarenanow wrote:
BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:Point being if I can buy tickets outside for $50 I'm not paying $200 online so that is part of a reason there are to let's left on ticket master.


Did you buy your tickets outside for Game 1?


I didn't go but their were people hawking them for a lot less than even that.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,113
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:42 am
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa

Re: Pseudo sellout Streak...Anyone need 45 together?

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Tue May 07, 2013 12:21 pm

pfim wrote:
BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:
Point being if I can buy tickets outside for $50 I'm not paying $200 online so that is part of a reason there are to let's left on ticket master.


Then that's what you should do. And if enough people do that and the Pens see a drop in revenues, the price will be adjusted.


Well maybe I will one day, I'll get a posse of us!
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,113
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:42 am
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa

Re: Pseudo sellout Streak...Anyone need 45 together?

Postby pfim on Tue May 07, 2013 12:22 pm

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:
pfim wrote:
BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:
Point being if I can buy tickets outside for $50 I'm not paying $200 online so that is part of a reason there are to let's left on ticket master.


Then that's what you should do. And if enough people do that and the Pens see a drop in revenues, the price will be adjusted.


Well maybe I will one day, I'll get a posse of us!


Sorry, I sounded like a jerk. Just trying to point out the supply/demand dynamic.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,789
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:35 am
Location: Sitting in front of my computer

Re: Pseudo sellout Streak...Anyone need 45 together?

Postby eddiefromirwin on Tue May 07, 2013 12:24 pm

newarenanow wrote:
eddiefromirwin wrote:Go check ticketmaster and see how many tickets are still available to Game #5. These won't sell by gametime. They will be taken off ticketmaster and sold to college kids for 30 bucks. These are 200-300 dollar tickets given to college kids. So a STH, who pays 9 grand for their regular season lower level tickets and hundreds for playoff tickets sits next to a college kid who got their tickets for 30 bucks. Or someone outside who bought their tickets before the game for 50 bucks.

This is bad all the way around. The Pens aren't selling their seats, and are giving them away. Season ticket holders catch on as well, and drop their plans knowing that they can go far cheaper if they pick up tickets very late in the game.

No, there is nothing good about this.


I don't see a massive drop in STH and the Pens seem to be doing well financially.


Don't think this can't change in a heartbeat. The Penguins have always been feast or famine....bankruptcy several times, threatening to leave town over an arena, etc. In 2005, lowers for STH were 55 a game. Next year they will be 110 a game. The Pens have been blessed with some of the most exciting players in the game, and contend every year. But are these prices sustainable if the Pens hit a dry patch?
eddiefromirwin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:17 am

Re: Pseudo sellout Streak...Anyone need 45 together?

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue May 07, 2013 12:26 pm

Crosby has a pretty long contract and Malkin is probably about to sign for 8 years. I dont think there is a dry patch in the near future.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,242
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Pseudo sellout Streak...Anyone need 45 together?

Postby newarenanow on Tue May 07, 2013 12:29 pm

eddiefromirwin wrote:Don't think this can't change in a heartbeat. The Penguins have always been feast or famine....bankruptcy several times, threatening to leave town over an arena, etc. In 2005, lowers for STH were 55 a game. Next year they will be 110 a game. The Pens have been blessed with some of the most exciting players in the game, and contend every year. But are these prices sustainable if the Pens hit a dry patch?


And the Pens with this ownership have adjusted with the demand. Trust me, I was going to games in the early 2000s when no one was there.

So get it while the gettin is good.

Also, Crosby is signed long term, and the Pens ownership seem to be willing to spend to keep the team competitve, so I don't see a famine anytime soon.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,437
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Re: Pseudo sellout Streak...Anyone need 45 together?

Postby eddiefromirwin on Tue May 07, 2013 12:35 pm

Maybe you have forgot that Sid has already missed over 2 years of time with injury. The stories of Mark Savard and Chris Pronger should be enough to illustrate that his future is too fragile to mortgage a franchise on.

I don't know that Malkin has the drawing power that Sid does.
eddiefromirwin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:17 am

Re: Pseudo sellout Streak...Anyone need 45 together?

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Tue May 07, 2013 12:37 pm

pfim wrote:
BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:
pfim wrote:
BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:
Point being if I can buy tickets outside for $50 I'm not paying $200 online so that is part of a reason there are to let's left on ticket master.


Then that's what you should do. And if enough people do that and the Pens see a drop in revenues, the price will be adjusted.


Well maybe I will one day, I'll get a posse of us!


Sorry, I sounded like a jerk. Just trying to point out the supply/demand dynamic.


No I get it and it and I completely get the supply and demand thing too. I just think after 3 years of this they would have made some common sense adjustments. People are starting to figure it out and it shows.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,113
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:42 am
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa

Re: Pseudo sellout Streak...Anyone need 45 together?

Postby MRandall25 on Tue May 07, 2013 12:39 pm

Aren't the "available" tickets already paid for by STH who just want to sell them?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,437
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Pseudo sellout Streak...Anyone need 45 together?

Postby eddiefromirwin on Tue May 07, 2013 12:41 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Aren't the "available" tickets already paid for by STH who just want to sell them?


Those on ticketmaster's resale site, yes. But there are a bunch left on the regular site as well. Those are unsold, because they are stupidly expensive.
eddiefromirwin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:17 am

Re: Pseudo sellout Streak...Anyone need 45 together?

Postby newarenanow on Tue May 07, 2013 12:42 pm

eddiefromirwin wrote:Maybe you have forgot that Sid has already missed over 2 years of time with injury. The stories of Mark Savard and Chris Pronger should be enough to illustrate that his future is too fragile to mortgage a franchise on.

I don't know that Malkin has the drawing power that Sid does.


Anyone can get hurt at anytime. YOu don't change your business model because you are scared of that.

Again, has there been a dramatic decline in season tickets? Are the Pens hurting financially? People still seem to be willing to spend this money.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,437
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Re: Pseudo sellout Streak...Anyone need 45 together?

Postby newarenanow on Tue May 07, 2013 12:43 pm

eddiefromirwin wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:Aren't the "available" tickets already paid for by STH who just want to sell them?


Those on ticketmaster's resale site, yes. But there are a bunch left on the regular site as well. Those are unsold, because they are stupidly expensive.


And they were just listed yesterday.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,437
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Re: Pseudo sellout Streak...Anyone need 45 together?

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Tue May 07, 2013 12:44 pm

newarenanow wrote:
eddiefromirwin wrote:Maybe you have forgot that Sid has already missed over 2 years of time with injury. The stories of Mark Savard and Chris Pronger should be enough to illustrate that his future is too fragile to mortgage a franchise on.

I don't know that Malkin has the drawing power that Sid does.


Anyone can get hurt at anytime. YOu don't change your business model because you are scared of that.

Again, has there been a dramatic decline in season tickets? Are the Pens hurting financially? People still seem to be willing to spend this money.


For the playoffs, yes there has been a dramatic decrease. For regular season who knows how many people are pulled off the wait list but I heard they get further down to sell because people only can afford the cheap seats.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,113
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:42 am
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa

Re: Pseudo sellout Streak...Anyone need 45 together?

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Tue May 07, 2013 12:46 pm

newarenanow wrote:
eddiefromirwin wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:Aren't the "available" tickets already paid for by STH who just want to sell them?


Those on ticketmaster's resale site, yes. But there are a bunch left on the regular site as well. Those are unsold, because they are stupidly expensive.


And they were just listed yesterday.


Yeah and in the past they would be gone in minutes no matter when they released them.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,113
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:42 am
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa

Re: Pseudo sellout Streak...Anyone need 45 together?

Postby MRandall25 on Tue May 07, 2013 12:46 pm

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:
newarenanow wrote:
eddiefromirwin wrote:Maybe you have forgot that Sid has already missed over 2 years of time with injury. The stories of Mark Savard and Chris Pronger should be enough to illustrate that his future is too fragile to mortgage a franchise on.

I don't know that Malkin has the drawing power that Sid does.


Anyone can get hurt at anytime. YOu don't change your business model because you are scared of that.

Again, has there been a dramatic decline in season tickets? Are the Pens hurting financially? People still seem to be willing to spend this money.


For the playoffs, yes there has been a dramatic decrease. For regular season who knows how many people are pulled off the wait list but I heard they get further down to sell because people only can afford the cheap seats.


Lower bowl is only like $75 a seat/game, if you get the STH discount.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,437
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Pseudo sellout Streak...Anyone need 45 together?

Postby newarenanow on Tue May 07, 2013 12:49 pm

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:
newarenanow wrote:
eddiefromirwin wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:Aren't the "available" tickets already paid for by STH who just want to sell them?


Those on ticketmaster's resale site, yes. But there are a bunch left on the regular site as well. Those are unsold, because they are stupidly expensive.


And they were just listed yesterday.


Yeah and in the past they would be gone in minutes no matter when they released them.


I only remember that the first year or two they made it back to the playoffs, and it was mainly because it was new an exciting again after a 5 year hiatus.

The last 4 or 5 years, you see on the board people complaining they haven't been sold, but by game day there are few tickets remaining.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,437
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Re: Pseudo sellout Streak...Anyone need 45 together?

Postby newarenanow on Tue May 07, 2013 12:50 pm

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:For the playoffs, yes there has been a dramatic decrease. For regular season who knows how many people are pulled off the wait list but I heard they get further down to sell because people only can afford the cheap seats.


If there has truly been that dramatic of a decrease for the playoffs then, then the Pens will adjust to it.

Until they do, I think you may be overexagerating the decrease.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,437
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Re: Pseudo sellout Streak...Anyone need 45 together?

Postby eddiefromirwin on Tue May 07, 2013 12:51 pm

I'll be curious to see how things go for later rounds if they make it that far. Those club seats....on ticketmaster....for the finals could have a face value of upwards of 600 a piece, maybe 500 a piece for the conference finals. I think they will sell, but wow, it would be bad if they didn't.

I think Mario's Big Screen also creates some issues with tickets. Its a good thing, don't get me wrong. But I think people figure that they will go down and if they can score some tickets on the cheap, they will go in. Otherwise, they have the option of just watching the game in a great environment with thousands of other people.
Last edited by eddiefromirwin on Tue May 07, 2013 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eddiefromirwin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:17 am

Re: Pseudo sellout Streak...Anyone need 45 together?

Postby newarenanow on Tue May 07, 2013 12:56 pm

eddiefromirwin wrote:I'll be curious to see how things go for later rounds if they make it that far. Those club seats....on ticketmaster....for the finals could have a face value of upwards of 600 a piece, maybe 500 a piece for the conference finals. I think they will sell, but wow, it would be bad if they didn't.


:scared:

Maybe we should have let the Pens move and brought an AHL team here so fans could afford the tickets.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,437
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Re: Pseudo sellout Streak...Anyone need 45 together?

Postby skullman80 on Tue May 07, 2013 12:56 pm

Club seats are bought up by mostly corporations I would think anyways.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,322
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:55 pm
Location: New Kensington, PA

Re: Pseudo sellout Streak...Anyone need 45 together?

Postby skullman80 on Tue May 07, 2013 12:58 pm

I'm sure if the Pens were losing lots of money they would have adjusted already. They know their profit point, we don't. So even though it may seem like they are not maximizing profits.. I"m sure they have number crunchers that crunch things down to the penny to help them set prices.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,322
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:55 pm
Location: New Kensington, PA

Re: Pseudo sellout Streak...Anyone need 45 together?

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Tue May 07, 2013 1:01 pm

newarenanow wrote:
BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:For the playoffs, yes there has been a dramatic decrease. For regular season who knows how many people are pulled off the wait list but I heard they get further down to sell because people only can afford the cheap seats.


If there has truly been that dramatic of a decrease for the playoffs then, then the Pens will adjust to it.

Until they do, I think you may be overexagerating the decrease.


It can't be small, in the past I am sure folks cancelled yet they never offered more tickets. It had to be drastic enough for them to make a major change.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,113
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:42 am
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: darkstar57, knives of ice, pcm, skullman80, the wicked child and 24 guests


e-mail