Pseudo sellout Streak...Anyone need 45 together?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Pseudo sellout Streak...Anyone need 45 together?

Postby Ossa on Wed May 08, 2013 12:47 pm

I agree. I'd rather see the arena half empty tomorrow than see those seats filled by those loud and annoying student rushers.
Ossa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby drnort on Wed May 08, 2013 12:53 pm

Ossa wrote:I agree. I'd rather see the arena half empty tomorrow than see those seats filled by those loud and annoying student rushers.

I think 0 people have said that...or even implied that.
drnort
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kovy27 on Wed May 08, 2013 1:02 pm

Ossa wrote:I agree. I'd rather see the arena half empty tomorrow than see those seats filled by those loud and annoying student rushers.

Make sure you sell your tickets for a profit and sit in seats for 30 bucks.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bathgate on Wed May 08, 2013 1:18 pm

Sellout or not for tomorrow night, it's hard to imagine the fans being as psyched as for Games 1 and 2. I think we are all in a state of shock over what we are seeing and if it's more of the same (being totally outplayed), it will get real quiet, with some booing I would imagine. Unlikely to be a good playoff atmosphere. If the series gets to a Game 7, everyone will have that usual sense of dread of another Game 7 at home elimination. The Pens need to somehow win the next 2 and take the series in 6.
Bathgate
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Wed May 08, 2013 1:20 pm

Not even remotely a point. Most of us actually love the student rush program to a point. I have no problem even if my tickets were raised a few bucks a year to make up for a few hundred tickets.

It's cool, they are loud, engages young fans, it's fun and adds to my enjoyment at the games.

But it goes back to a 3 year history of the pens needing student rush to sellout games, while still raising our prices, all the while cutting back on everything.

As I said above this isn't new. People just care now because they aren't playing well.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby newarenanow on Wed May 08, 2013 1:25 pm

Make the message loud and clear and get rid of your tickets next year.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Pseudo sellout *Streak...Anyone need 45 together?

Postby roland on Wed May 08, 2013 2:11 pm

I thought this thread was about the "Pseudo sellout streak" and not necessarily about Student Rush vs STH.

I say the *streak is a sham. There are tickets available on TicketMaster in almost every section for Thursdays game, they did not sell out in minutes when they went on sale like usual. In addition to those tickets, there are even more on the Ticket Exchange that are listed well below the TicketMaster prices...and they are not selling. Technically, the TE tickets are already "sold" but nobody is interested in buying them for LESS than market value. Im sure student rush will be available for tomorrows game but unlike the regular season where the Pens assign specific games for Student Rush, this will be an "emergency" student rush game. Therefore, the *steak is a sham.
roland
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby eddiefromirwin on Wed May 08, 2013 5:47 pm

I tend to think it is possible that the number of people on the wait list for tickets might be a sham as well. It wouldn't be the first time that a team announced a huge wait list, and then suddenly season tickets became available to everyone (see Washington Redskins).

I also bet when clubs and expensive lowers come available, a lot of people on the wait list pass on those.
eddiefromirwin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby newarenanow on Wed May 08, 2013 5:59 pm

eddiefromirwin wrote:I also bet when clubs and expensive lowers come available, a lot of people on the wait list pass on those.

I do agree with this.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby C4 Row E on Thu May 09, 2013 10:11 am

They conveniently took the interactive seating chart down from Ticketmaster this morning.

Student Rush was allowed 3 tickets according to the website. Really?

I pay $1000's per year for my tickets and 100-200 people in my section are attending a game 5 of the playoffs for cheaper than I am.

Disgusting.
C4 Row E
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu May 09, 2013 10:14 am

Student Rush was awesome when you had to wait in line in below freezing temperatures for hours hoping you were far enough up the line to get tickets. :pop: In my day...
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Ossa on Thu May 09, 2013 10:28 am

C4 Row E wrote:They conveniently took the interactive seating chart down from Ticketmaster this morning.

I pay $1000's per year for my tickets and 100-200 people in my section are attending a game 5 of the playoffs for cheaper than I am.

Disgusting.

Just be happy that those seats will be occupied by kids who normally don't go to games and can't afford paying ridiculous prices, are going to be having a great time at the game tonight.

It's better to give than to receive.
Ossa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Ossa on Thu May 09, 2013 10:29 am

Idoit40fans wrote:Student Rush was awesome when you had to wait in line in below freezing temperatures for hours hoping you were far enough up the line to get tickets. :pop: In my day...

Plus zero TicketMaster fees :thumb:
Ossa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby beachinit on Thu May 09, 2013 10:30 am

I was on this morning and looked at the available tickets. Very few tickets available in the 200 level...All were scattered singles and probably less then 10....Still were seats together in lower level but I would say under 400 total....400 tickets before faceoff will more than likely sell and if they dont the few remaining will be purchased by Student Rush. I dont have a problem with that as a season ticket holder.
beachinit
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Thu May 09, 2013 10:49 am

Ossa wrote:
C4 Row E wrote:They conveniently took the interactive seating chart down from Ticketmaster this morning.

Disgusting.

Just be happy that those seats will be occupied by kids who normally don't go to games and can't afford paying ridiculous prices, are going to be having a great time at the game tonight.

It's better to give than to receive.

Again I think you are missing the point. We are all happy those kids get to see games.

But we are subsidizing thousands of dollars each because of penguins inability to take those most obvious hint. Again this isn't new, if the pens start playing better people will be back here arguing against us just because.

I'm subsidizing a sellout streak and morons who can't figure out supply and demand/keep making the same mistakes every year.

lower prices, sellout still at decent prices, make more money, keep tickets for students. End.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FreeCandy44 on Thu May 09, 2013 10:57 am

This thread needs a theme song.

;)
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Ossa on Thu May 09, 2013 10:57 am

Someone please explain how STHs are subsidizing student rush?
Ossa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Thu May 09, 2013 11:03 am

Ossa wrote:Someone please explain how STHs are subsidizing student rush?

They keep raising our prices. Gate price tickets are raised but don't sell out. They sell them cheaper to student. Next year they raise our prices, gate price tickets don't sell out, they sell cheaper to students.

It's not necessarily subsidizing the specific program alone but in general the last 3 years its the best customers that keep getting dinged and seem to have to make up the money gap while everyone else benefits. The prices are so high now regular fans can buy a huge allotment for cheaper than gate price off of season holders allowing for even more cheap tickets.

Rinse, repeat every year but keeps getting worse.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Bathgate on Thu May 09, 2013 11:12 am

Ossa wrote:Someone please explain how STHs are subsidizing student rush?

I guess it's because the Pens can overcharge STH's for tickets knowing that student rush sales will fill unsold seats. Otherwise they would have to have lower prices to avoid an embarassing number of unsold seats. So STH's are subsidizing to some extent. The Pens believe that having the student rush is a great way to build the fanbase and hook future STH's.
Bathgate
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby beachinit on Thu May 09, 2013 1:01 pm

Anyone ever thought that maybe American Eagle is covering the cost of those tickets to the student rush group? Since in fact they are the sponsor of it and from my understanding sponsoring anything with the Pens is not cheap
beachinit
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby newarenanow on Thu May 09, 2013 1:20 pm

If you do not want to subsidize, then walk away. When enough people do, they will lower the prices.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Thu May 09, 2013 1:56 pm

beachinit wrote:Anyone ever thought that maybe American Eagle is covering the cost of those tickets to the student rush group? Since in fact they are the sponsor of it and from my understanding sponsoring anything with the Pens is not cheap

I'm they pay a fee at the beginning of the year for the 20 things they do. No way they cover the difference or even close. it's impossible.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rylan on Thu May 09, 2013 1:59 pm

I highly doubt AE has a one time cost when sponsoring the Penguins.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Thu May 09, 2013 5:57 pm

Rylan wrote:I highly doubt AE has a one time cost when sponsoring the Penguins.

LOL. I think you know I meant there is most likely an agreed upon advertising fee for the year. How they pay who cares, its pobably not one huge check. But I would bet my life the pens don't send them a bill for $50,000 just because game 5 didn't sellout and more tickets went to kids than usual.

That's as bad as an excuse as "corporations don't take playoff seats that's why there are so many open seats"
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rylan on Thu May 09, 2013 6:07 pm

I felt like being a smart ass.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins