Pseudo sellout Streak...Anyone need 45 together?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Pseudo sellout Streak...Anyone need 45 together?

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Thu May 02, 2013 1:23 pm

Ossa wrote:
columbia wrote:I don't know why STHS put up with the student rush nonsense.
They should be pissed about subsidizing other people.

I'm a STH and have been reselling my tickets just fine. Not a problem at all. If I'm reselling my tickets at a loss and people are getting in for $20, then I'd might have a problem.

The point for me isnt that they do student rush. I like it, always have.

My point is that for 3 years in a row they overprice their tickets in the regular season and opening round (s) of the playoffs. Then to keep from being embarrassed they sell $ 20 -$30 tickets to students in droves for way too many games including playoffs. Then apparently lose money and to try to make up for the losses they jack up prices again and Im punished financially and all the fans are punished with classless cutbacks.

I dont really feel like I am subsidizing student rush as much as I feel I am subsidizing unnecessary financial losses. Year one in the new building, fine they overplayed their hand. Its year 3 now. Getting old. Figure it out.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kovy27 on Thu May 02, 2013 1:25 pm

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:
Ossa wrote:

I'm a STH and have been reselling my tickets just fine. Not a problem at all. If I'm reselling my tickets at a loss and people are getting in for $20, then I'd might have a problem.

My point is that for 3 years in a row they overprice their tickets in the regular season and opening round (s) of the playoffs. Then to keep from being embarrassed they sell $ 20 -$30 tickets to students in droves for way too many games including playoffs. Then apparently lose money and to try to make up for the losses they jack up prices again and Im punished financially and all the fans are punished with classless cutbacks.

I dont really feel like I am subsidizing student rush as much as I feel I am subsidizing unnecessary financial losses. Year one in the new building, fine they overplayed their hand. Its year 3 now. Getting old. Figure it out.

I'd rather see those tickets go to people on the Waiting List for $50-60 bucks. The students can sit outside at the Big Screen. To quote someone on facebook, "That's where the real fans sit."
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Thu May 02, 2013 1:33 pm

Kovy27 wrote:
Ossa wrote:

I'd rather see those tickets go to people on the Waiting List for $50-60 bucks. The students can sit outside at the Big Screen. To quote someone on facebook, "That's where the real fans sit."

Sure, but keep some students, offer waitlist and fix your overall pricing in general. Like I said I tolerated it in year one but now year 3 the same thing. Its stupid. If you want to push it raise them for round 4. I tell you what last year they were begging us season holders to take our packages and offered us more they had so many cancels.

If it wasnt for a first round draw of Philly there would have been 4,000 students at those games.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby llipgh2 on Thu May 02, 2013 1:45 pm

Kovy27 wrote:

This a good idea. A nice gesture and good PR/Marketing. But...they should be priced the same as Student Rush, which was $30 + Ticketmaster fees.

Split the number of tickets available between Waiting List and Student Rush.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Ossa on Thu May 02, 2013 1:58 pm

Kovy27 wrote:
Ossa wrote:

Ok, so no one would buy seats at $200 when everyone could just pay there $50 to get on the waiting list so they can get discounted tickets for $50. Makes zero sense.
Ossa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Ossa on Thu May 02, 2013 2:02 pm

Ossa wrote:

I think someone stated this earlier, the Pens make more money selling tickets at ridiculous prices and selling a few tickets at student rush cost than selling all of them at a reasonable price. Basic economics.
Ossa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FreeCandy44 on Thu May 02, 2013 2:07 pm

Why are we still complaining about this?
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Ossa on Thu May 02, 2013 2:19 pm

FreeCandy44 wrote:Why are we still complaining about this?

The Penguins won by 5, Fleury got a shutout, and TK was scratched. What is there to complain about?
Ossa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Thu May 02, 2013 2:31 pm

Ossa wrote:
Ossa wrote:

I think someone stated this earlier, the Pens make more money selling tickets at ridiculous prices and selling a few tickets at student rush cost than selling all of them at a reasonable price. Basic economics.

Because they don't seem too. That is just a theory, their strategy actually points to the exact opposite of that. over the past 3 years everyone knows but most will not admit its been a lot, i mean A LOT more than a "few" student rush tickets, even for some big games including playoffs. coupled with other very strange moves the economics of it doesn't favor that theory or even close to it.

Later all. Catching a flight in a few.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Ossa on Thu May 02, 2013 2:41 pm

Ossa wrote:
Ossa wrote:

Because they don't seem too. That is just a theory, their strategy actually points to the exact opposite of that. over the past 3 years everyone knows but most will not admit its been a lot, i mean A LOT more than a "few" student rush tickets, even for some big games including playoffs. coupled with other very strange moves the economics of it doesn't favor that theory or even close to it.

Later all. Catching a flight in a few.

So you know more than the people working in the Pens organization, ok.
Ossa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Thu May 02, 2013 2:51 pm

I'm capable of looking at available tickets and doing simple math if that's what you mean. Unsold tickets or tickets turned to student rush. It's not hard to figure out and see the numbers, especially since avg ticket prices are published.

Back tonight.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kovy27 on Thu May 02, 2013 2:52 pm

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:I'm capable of looking at available tickets and doing simple math if that's what you mean. Unsold tickets or tickets turned to student rush. It's not hard to figure out and see the numbers, especially since avg ticket prices are published.

Back tonight.

They should give all the tickets to the student rushers instead since they can't afford tickets.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby C4 Row E on Thu May 02, 2013 3:06 pm

Ossa wrote:

It didn't happen to you, but it did happen to some people.
C4 Row E
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kovy27 on Thu May 02, 2013 3:13 pm

C4 Row E wrote:
Ossa wrote:

and this is a problem.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Thu May 02, 2013 3:22 pm

How are 200 student rush tickets, most of which are probably singles, hurting resale value? If all you want to do is sell your tickets, don't buy them.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby nocera on Thu May 02, 2013 3:29 pm

Will people on the waiting list woo?
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Ossa on Thu May 02, 2013 3:41 pm

C4 Row E wrote:
Ossa wrote:

The "some" people I can count on my hand. It seems like the main problem area is in the 100 level end where the Pens shoot once, so I could see a little problem there.
Ossa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Ossa on Thu May 02, 2013 3:43 pm

mac5155 wrote:How are 200 student rush tickets, most of which are probably singles, hurting resale value? If all you want to do is sell your tickets, don't buy them.

Exactly. They aren't. College students don't have the money to pay the ticket resale price. If anything it may be helping resale value.
Ossa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FreeCandy44 on Thu May 02, 2013 3:43 pm

I read these posts about tickets, complaints and such in a Andy Rooney voice.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Eismann on Thu May 02, 2013 3:47 pm

FreeCandy44 wrote:I read these posts about tickets, complaints and such in a Andy Rooney voice.

Funk dat.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby llipgh2 on Thu May 02, 2013 3:51 pm

FreeCandy44 wrote:I read these posts about tickets, complaints and such in a Andy Rooney voice.

"Didja ever wonder why the Pens continue to sell Student Rush tickets during the playoffs?"
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FreeCandy44 on Thu May 02, 2013 3:51 pm

Llipgh2 knows...
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Thu May 02, 2013 5:54 pm

Ossa wrote:
mac5155 wrote:How are 200 student rush tickets, most of which are probably singles, hurting resale value? If all you want to do is sell your tickets, don't buy them.

Exactly. They aren't. College students don't have the money to pay the ticket resale price. If anything it may be helping resale value.

Confusing student rush with open seats. Rush just keeps a steak going has no bearing on resale value. Open seats is what actually kills value.

In theory focring sellouts should help value, but it doesnt at all. I think you are wrong on what you just stated because there are open tickets until the day of the game and students typically cant buy them until that day (or if there are ton left like a lot of times they day before in a presale I have seen). So that hurts the value, quite a bit actually. But that is my point exactly anyways from above. There are plenty of people willing to pay say $150 but not $250, they dont sell so they are then sold for $30.

And it seems lately that season holders like me are being punished with crazy pricing to make up the difference and they are hoping for a long playoff run.

Just so you know I am not reselling my tickets, thats not why I care. I care because my prices keep going through the roof while they dont seem to be selling out most of the time. Its stupid to punish your most loyal paying customers.

To the original thought by Mac - this is where we differ and why people dont see the point. You assume that there are 200 single tickets left. But that simply isnt true, there are hundreds and sometimes thousands of perfectly good tickets in bulk left. That is why folks get frustrated. If were a few hundred singles nobody would even notice.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby C4 Row E on Thu May 02, 2013 8:59 pm

The following is the ideal situation and it's a win win for everyone............

1. Do student rush about 4 times per year on random Tuesday games that you'll never sell out
2. Offer mini-plans to waiting listers at STH price....they'll be gobbled up to sell out status right away
3. During the playoffs....absolutely no student rush. Have a lottery for those on the waiting list to buy at STH price.

THIS maximizes profits
C4 Row E
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Ossa on Thu May 02, 2013 8:59 pm

Ossa wrote:

Confusing student rush with open seats. Rush just keeps a steak going has no bearing on resale value. Open seats is what actually kills value.

In theory focring sellouts should help value, but it doesnt at all. I think you are wrong on what you just stated because there are open tickets until the day of the game and students typically cant buy them until that day (or if there are ton left like a lot of times they day before in a presale I have seen). So that hurts the value, quite a bit actually. But that is my point exactly anyways from above. There are plenty of people willing to pay say $150 but not $250, they dont sell so they are then sold for $30.

And it seems lately that season holders like me are being punished with crazy pricing to make up the difference and they are hoping for a long playoff run.

Just so you know I am not reselling my tickets, thats not why I care. I care because my prices keep going through the roof while they dont seem to be selling out most of the time. Its stupid to punish your most loyal paying customers.

To the original thought by Mac - this is where we differ and why people dont see the point. You assume that there are 200 single tickets left. But that simply isnt true, there are hundreds and sometimes thousands of perfectly good tickets in bulk left. That is why folks get frustrated. If were a few hundred singles nobody would even notice.

There not selling out most of the time? I disagree. They are selling most of their tickets, its a very small handful of tickets in the 100 level not selling and a few singles scattered throughout the arena. As for season ticket costs being too high, there hasn't been one time this entire season where I haven't lost money selling my tickets. Not once. There is no need to reduce the price if there are many people willing to pay more.
Ossa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins