Jack Adams Award

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Jack Adams Award

Postby pressure=9Pa on Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:27 am

MT and Oates are viable candidates.
pressure=9Pa
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby thepittman on Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:18 pm

pressure=9Pa wrote:MT and Oates are viable candidates.

These are the only ones that stand out to me
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby npv708 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:35 pm

How is Todd Richards not on anyone's radar? He coaches the Blue Jackets, who only missed out on the playoffs on the last day of the season. Is him not making the playoffs enough to exclude him?
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Beveridge on Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:39 pm

npv708 wrote:Is him not making the playoffs enough to exclude him?

Yes and I will say the same for Bobs and winning the Vezina (not that I'm agreeing with that)
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby IntangibleBeer on Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:12 pm

Hawkeynut wrote:Image

C'mon it has to be MacLean.. he has a doppelganger!

I don't care how much they may have "fell", the played a better part of the season without their top 3 guys.

I'm sorry. That's just Weird. :lol: :scared: :scared:
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bse on Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:22 pm

Therrien should win it. He took a team from the bottom to the top.

No other coach did it this year (let alone many times in the history of NHL).

Senators', Islanders' coaches are thrown into the mix.. but for what? They finished 7th and 8th. Therrien took his team from like 15th to 2nd.

In one season.

What about Adam Oates and the Capitals? They only finished 3rd because of their division. Had they been in any other division, they would have made the playoffs by two points. Not very impressive if you ask me.

Of course I'm biased, I like Michel Therrien. But I really can't compare any other coach to him this season - maybe Hawks' Quenneville because of the record, president's trophy etc. But others? I don't think so.
bse
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby itissteeltime on Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:29 pm

Why woulda oates even be considered? Thats a team who wins the division ever year, is in the worst division in hockey, and finished 4th best in the east.
itissteeltime
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:34 pm

bse wrote:Therrien should win it. He took a team from the bottom to the top.

Senators', Islanders' coaches are thrown into the mix.. but for what? They finished 7th and 8th. Therrien took his team from like 15th to 2nd.

In one season.

What about Adam Oates and the Capitals? They only finished 3rd because of their division. Had they been in any other division, they would have made the playoffs by two points. Not very impressive if you ask me.

Of course I'm biased, I like Michel Therrien. But I really can't compare any other coach to him this season - maybe Hawks' Quenneville because of the record, president's trophy etc. But others? I don't think so.

No one else except Boudreau.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bse on Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:38 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
bse wrote:Therrien should win it. He took a team from the bottom to the top.

In one season.

No one else except Boudreau.

Yeah, it should be between MT, BB and JQ. Others just don't qualify :) MT actually might have an upper hand if votes split between those two western conference coaches. I have no idea how the voting process works though.
bse
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:00 pm

Paul MacLean's team maintained a playoff spot despite losing their top 2 scorers in Karlsson and Spezza.

I seem to recall a coach who had a similar problem and a similar result who also won a Jack Adams. Name seems to escape me, though ;)
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thepittman on Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:42 pm

itissteeltime wrote:Why woulda oates even be considered? Thats a team who wins the division ever year, is in the worst division in hockey, and finished 4th best in the east.

Rookie coach, sucked the first half, turned it around, won their division
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby thepittman on Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:43 pm

But anti-Capital feelings on this board will never allow it to be discussed with any seriousness
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby bse on Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:05 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Paul MacLean's team maintained a playoff spot despite losing their top 2 scorers in Karlsson and Spezza.

I seem to recall a coach who had a similar problem and a similar result who also won a Jack Adams. Name seems to escape me, though ;)

Well, they just made it because Devils collapsed, and only had to beat Jets, Sabres, Flyers etc.

But I really don't get this logic. Does it matter that they lost top 2 scorers? I mean, Montreal didn't have any of such talent in the first place.
Senators finished 2nd in Northeast last year - finished 8th, and now they just edged Islanders for 7th. I just don't see how MacLean is more worthy than say Randy Carlyle (Leafs) or even Jack Capuano of the Islanders, who had a much worse team on paper in the beginning of the season. I'd say MacLean was good enough to keep his job, but should he really be awarded a Jack Adams trophy which means he's like.. the coach of the year?
bse
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Froggy on Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:09 pm

Shouldn't Oates's bad start count against him?
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:21 pm

Everyone wants to look at it from just a numbers perspective...essentially, just a fantasy hockey perspective. "Oh look, I lost Crosby and Ryan Miller sucked but I still finished first in the league therefore..."

There's more to it than that. One of the reasons why Paul MacLean is a good choice is because the adaptation. Look at the Senators last year, they were a major transition team. Spezza to Karlsson back to Spezza, Spezza to whomever. They were a forward-moving team, good on the attack, generated organic offense on the fly.

Then they lost the guy that moves the puck forward and their center ice puck distributor. It's like telling someone to go ride a bike and then when they sit on it, you take off the back wheel and the handle bars...

So MacLean changed them into a very defensive team with Kyle Turris as their number one center and a bunch d-men that this board has never heard of...Marc Methot was playing #1 minutes for them without Erik Karlsson, Andre Benoit, Eric Gryba, Patrick Wiercioch were a good chunk of the others...and of course, Sergei Gonchar three years after the Moen goal.

In 2012, the Senators scored about 3 goals per game at ES (just behind Philadelphia, Boston and us). This year, 2 and a third...polar opposite, fourth to last ahead of just Nashville, Florida and New Jersey.

In 2012, the Senators surrendered just under 3 goals per game at ES (one of the highest marks in the league). This year, only Chicago surrendered fewer goals at ES. And that could possibly be attributed to Craig Anderson (their starting goalie) missing half the year with an injury.

Oh and ho hum, Craig Anderson broke the save pct. record* that everyone fell all over when Tim Thomas did it* but now this is three seasons in a row where it's been broken*...who saw that coming...who I ask you...who?

Anyway, in this hyper season with limited practice time and limited personnel in Ottawa's case due to injury and an overall lack of NHL ready depth, he completely flipped the blueprint on their game, got them to learn it, execute it and succeed with it. Some teams tried to do that for an entire season and couldn't...MacLean, dare I say, flipped the switch and it just happened...that's harder to do than most people will give it credit for...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:26 pm

When your team continues to find ways to win without their top players, I'd think that goes to the coach.

They still found ways to win without the majority of their offense.

You bring up Montreal, but Montreal's highest scorer had 10 more points than the Sens'. Hell, 5 Canadiens had more points than Kyle Turris (the aforementioned offensive leader for the Sens, who had a whopping 29 points).

Also, most of Montreal's players matched their point totals from last year in half a season. That tells me they have offensive talent who didn't want to play for their last coach or simply didn't show up. Keep in mind that Montreal was also 6th in the East the year before last with basically the same team. Montreal's #s last year: 11th in GA/G and 19th in GF/G in 2011-2012. This year, they're 4th in goals for/game and 17th in goals against. That reeks of "We don't like Jacques Martin and Randy Cunneyworth".

With MacLean, you have the reigning Norris Trophy winner who only played 17 games and a PPG player who only played 5. They're a huge part of the reason Ottawa was even in the playoffs last year. And now, missing them for the majority of the year, they were still able to maintain a playoff spot. Craig Anderson's GAA went from 2.84 to 1.69. Ottawa went from 24th in GA/G to 2nd in the span of one year with their best d-man out, and their GF/G went from something like 4th in the league last year to 27th this year. Yet, here they are, in the playoffs. Compare that to Montreal: 11th in GA/G and 19th in GF/G in 2011-2012. This year, they're 4th in goals for/game and 17th in goals against.

If that doesn't show how MacLean kept this team in a playoff spot, I don't know what to tell you other than you need to remove the Therrien glasses for a second.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:27 pm

I guess mikey also said the same thing I was getting at as I was typing up.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:41 pm

Nick Cannon just walked off with your school clothes money...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SoCalPenguin on Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:58 pm

1. MacLean
2. MT
3. Fat Bruce
SoCalPenguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby ulf on Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:59 pm

thepittman wrote:
itissteeltime wrote:Why woulda oates even be considered? Thats a team who wins the division ever year, is in the worst division in hockey, and finished 4th best in the east.

Rookie coach, sucked the first half, turned it around, won their division

lol you realize he coached the first half too right?
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby IMFC on Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:32 pm

Any coach who's team is fighting for a playoff spot that not only lets his team's focus go to hell but actively encouages his team to get out of whack by Matt frakking Cooke is not coach of the year.

Ever.
IMFC
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:49 pm

:face:
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed May 01, 2013 8:24 am

I think the biggest argument for McLean is that he kept the team under control despite his moron owner losing his mind.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins