Staal vs Sutter

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Staal vs Sutter

Postby no name on Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:07 pm

Staal 48g 10g 21a 31 pts -18 114 shots
Sutter 48g 11g 8a 19pts +11 82 shots

This trade worked out well for both sides i guess??
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Staal vs Sutter

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:10 pm

Except for the side that is paying a player $6 million. Staal will play better though.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby NashvilleCat on Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:15 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Except for the side that is paying a player $6 million. Staal will play better though.

Staal will be a very good player for a very long time. Sutter has played well this year and will be a big part of what we hope is greater or equal value in return for Jordan.
NashvilleCat
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:16 pm

Also, I guess neither side is currently paying a player $6 million. :pop:
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Stick_Flex on Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:18 pm

It's looking like a blessing that Staal turned down RS offer. It will be hard enough retaining malkin and letang.
Stick_Flex
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Hawkeynut on Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:21 pm

Don't get me wrong but I enjoyed Jordan Staal on this team, but never at any point this season did I wish he was back. Sutter has done a fine job as a 3rd line center! I guess when both Geno and Sid are injured, Staalsy would have filled in better than Sutter but that is a luxury we could no longer afford.

I still think we got a great deal for what we gave up. Keep in mind we still got 2 great defensive prospects in the deal as well. We have yet to reap all the benefits to this trade.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby lemieuxReturns on Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:38 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Except for the side that is paying a player $6 million. Staal will play better though.

He actually played much better down the stretch once Ruutu came back.
He is going to have some difficulties in Carolina. He has not been placed on the first PP, which is similiar to his situation in Pittsburgh. He also has not had great chemistry with his linemate skinner. Add that to the fact that Carolina is not a cap ceiling team (ranked in bottom third) and it is going to be a struggle each year for his team to be competitive. They are paying their top end guys some real big dollars.
Eric Staal - 8.2
Semin - 7
Jordan - 6
Ward - 6
Skinner - 5.75
Ruutu - 4.75

Also, starting next season the hurricanes will be playing in the same division as the penguins, flyers, rangers, and devils.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby roland on Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:38 pm

Hawkeynut wrote:I still think we got a great deal for what we gave up. Keep in mind we still got 2 great defensive prospects in the deal as well. We have yet to reap all the benefits to this trade.

roland
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby marek on Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:46 pm

Who's Jordan Staal?
ohhhh... that right that lil boy that was homesick... yeah... I remember that after school special...
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby scals37 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:09 pm

roland wrote:
Hawkeynut wrote:I still think we got a great deal for what we gave up. Keep in mind we still got 2 great defensive prospects in the deal as well. We have yet to reap all the benefits to this trade.

:thumb:
scals37
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:13 pm

to answer the question of "staal vs. sutter", staal is a lot better than sutter.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby AlexPKeaton on Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:19 pm

Yeah if it wasn't for the salary I'd take Staal any day over Sutter, no contest. Not having Staal's salary allows more balance on the rest of the team though.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:20 pm

He didn't want to play for Pittsburgh. so you gotta move on.
I think Shero did well, in terms of the return.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:25 pm

roland wrote:

Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby wondermoose on Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:28 pm

The biggest thing that isn't seen in the stats is that Sutter is good defensively. Staal was an elite defensive forward, but that was before he got a taste for offense. It's a shame because he has soooo good in 2009 and earlier, but I'm actually glad he is gone now. We needed a clear third-line center and it showed these last two seasons.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby slipshod on Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:39 pm

Staal has the tools to be a dominant force on the ice every time he is out there but he goes long stretches without being visible. I did not like that. I always expected more from him than I do Sutter and he did not always provide the effort.
slipshod
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Great58 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:44 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:Yeah if it wasn't for the salary I'd take Staal any day over Sutter, no contest. Not having Staal's salary allows more balance on the rest of the team though.

It's the same situation that resulted from not being able to resign Hossa. More cap space made room for RFeds, Cooke, Satan and eventually Kunitz. And we all know how that turned out. :fist:
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:54 pm

Great58 wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:Yeah if it wasn't for the salary I'd take Staal any day over Sutter, no contest. Not having Staal's salary allows more balance on the rest of the team though.

It's the same situation that resulted from not being able to resign Hossa. More cap space made room for RFeds, Cooke, Satan and eventually Kunitz. And we all know how that turned out. :fist:

And Orpik and Staal to extensions I believe.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:04 pm

shmenguin wrote:to answer the question of "staal vs. sutter", staal is a lot better than sutter.

Here's how I feel about this. Staal's salary is 2.90 times that of Sutter's. Therefore Staal should be 2.90 times better than Sutter. That hasn't shown to be true (at least to this date), using any measuring stick. Similar to Hossa/Dupuis.

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Dan H on Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:28 pm

Big Easy Pens Fan wrote:
shmenguin wrote:to answer the question of "staal vs. sutter", staal is a lot better than sutter.

Here's how I feel about this. Staal's salary is 2.90 times that of Sutter's. Therefore Staal should be 2.90 times better than Sutter. That hasn't shown to be true (at least to this date), using any measuring stick. Similar to Hossa/Dupuis.

BEPF

I dunno. Have they measured in beer consumption?
Dan H
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby no name on Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:52 pm

If it was as simple as player vs player then i guess Staal would be selected. But in todays NHL it is just not that simple. In the Pens situation cap wise, what we need from our 3rd line center and looking at point production the Pens have to be very happy how this all played out.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby GaryRissling on Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:48 pm

Staal's good, but I think it's a stretch to say that he has a proven track record as a top-six forward.

Moreover, I'm a little bit surprised at how Pens fans still gush over him to the point where they'd give a guy a standing ovation who whined a about his role during a playoff series then rejected a very fair offer and additionally pidgeon-holed us into trading him last minute to one freaking team. I really think it was the worst exit by a Pen I can remember (much worse than Jagr). That it happened to work out for us is great, but it doesn't go to his credit.
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby SolidSnake on Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:55 pm

Sutter. Most expected Staal to dominate since he was in a bigger role and he failed. Staal choose poorly.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:58 pm

Dan H wrote:
Big Easy Pens Fan wrote:

BEPF

I dunno. Have they measured in beer consumption?

Staal would win in a landslide. He was the team drunk.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penmyst on Wed May 01, 2013 1:01 am

If you are a Pens fan; how could you not be happy with this trade?

Even if you only consider it straight up Sutter v. Staal, the Pens came out on top.

Sutter has given them exactly what they wanted. A guy that is capable in defensive responsibilities, with a bit of offensive ability to go along with it, and who puts defense first / offense second.

Staal had changed in his last year+ with the Pens to wanting offense first / defense second. And that isn't a fit for a Pens team fielding Crosby and Malkin as your first 2 centers, where Staal was never going to replace them.

Sutter is a much better fit. He may not put up the G n A that Staal can (and I suspect, will), but there is more to this picture than simple numbers.
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins