Staal vs Sutter

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Staal vs Sutter

Postby Beveridge on Wed May 01, 2013 1:33 pm

Staal would still be under his old contract this season, so we could have still gotten the guys we did but that's besides the point.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,261
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: Staal vs Sutter

Postby shmenguin on Wed May 01, 2013 1:33 pm

duke66 wrote: if staal signs this year with the pens, those players aren't here now, and i would suspect us as fans would be a tad less confident with the second season upon us. just my opinion.


we could afford all of those guys with staal on the team. he didn't make 15 million dollars this year, IIRC. i feel fine with the team as is, but i'd feel better with staal over sutter.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,398
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: Staal vs Sutter

Postby Pitts on Wed May 01, 2013 1:35 pm

shmenguin wrote:
penmyst wrote:He didn't realize his potential with Carolina this year. Meanwhile, Sutter actually did MORE. Adding a bit more offensive touch and awareness than I expected, to go along with some real sublime hockey smarts.


sutter's numbers this year were on pace with his last 3 years in carolina. i wouldn't exactly call that progression.

:thumb: I was gonna say the exact same thing. Sutter has done an admirable job -- and I always was a fan -- but I'm hoping for a little more from him next season.

I DO, however, think he is going to surprise everyone in the playoffs this year.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,433
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Re: Staal vs Sutter

Postby Pitts on Wed May 01, 2013 1:42 pm

duke66 wrote: i know it was a shorter season, but sutter out-scored staal.

WAIT -- WHAT??

Code: Select all
Player   Games   Goals   Assists   Points
Staal   48   10   21   31
Sutter   48   11   8   19
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,433
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Re: Staal vs Sutter

Postby duke66 on Wed May 01, 2013 1:45 pm

Pitts wrote:
duke66 wrote: i know it was a shorter season, but sutter out-scored staal.

WAIT -- WHAT??

Code: Select all
Player   Games   Goals   Assists   Points
Staal   48   10   21   31
Sutter   48   11   8   19



goals my friend. assists are subjective, goals are not.
duke66
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,408
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:54 pm
Location: The Promised Land - @dukewall66

Re: Staal vs Sutter

Postby Myriad on Wed May 01, 2013 1:54 pm

duke66 wrote:
Pitts wrote:
duke66 wrote: i know it was a shorter season, but sutter out-scored staal.

WAIT -- WHAT??

Code: Select all
Player   Games   Goals   Assists   Points
Staal   48   10   21   31
Sutter   48   11   8   19



goals my friend. assists are subjective, goals are not.


I know that you meant "Score = Goal" which is true, but I don't see how there is anything subjective about an assist.

Sutter has done great in his role and at replacing what Staal brought to the table. Staal would have been too expensive for what he does, IMO. Higher ceiling certainly, but he would never have gotten the opportunity to hit that ceiling in Pittsburgh with Crosby and Malkin in the picture.
Myriad
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 630
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

Re: Staal vs Sutter

Postby duke66 on Wed May 01, 2013 1:57 pm

Myriad wrote:
duke66 wrote:
Pitts wrote:
duke66 wrote: i know it was a shorter season, but sutter out-scored staal.

WAIT -- WHAT??

Code: Select all
Player   Games   Goals   Assists   Points
Staal   48   10   21   31
Sutter   48   11   8   19



goals my friend. assists are subjective, goals are not.


I know that you meant "Score = Goal" which is true, but I don't see how there is anything subjective about an assist.

Sutter has done great in his role and at replacing what Staal brought to the table. Staal would have been too expensive for what he does, IMO. Higher ceiling certainly, but he would never have gotten the opportunity to hit that ceiling in Pittsburgh with Crosby and Malkin in the picture.


by subjective i mean, secondary assists sometimes are phantoms. we see it all the time. unless u are saucering a pass for a tap in, or u are sidney crosby, more goals for the average player is a better barometre for me personally. but i agree with your statements.
duke66
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,408
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:54 pm
Location: The Promised Land - @dukewall66

Re: Staal vs Sutter

Postby Pitts on Wed May 01, 2013 2:28 pm

duke66 wrote:
Pitts wrote:
duke66 wrote: i know it was a shorter season, but sutter out-scored staal.

WAIT -- WHAT??

Code: Select all
Player   Games   Goals   Assists   Points
Staal   48   10   21   31
Sutter   48   11   8   19



goals my friend. assists are subjective, goals are not.

lol...okay. So, one more goal makes it a HUGE win for us then?

Oh, and I guess you're basing your argument on the fact that Staal had about 10 or so "phantom" assists?
Last edited by Pitts on Wed May 01, 2013 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,433
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Re: Staal vs Sutter

Postby Beveridge on Wed May 01, 2013 2:30 pm

He didn't say anything like that.

Although, I would wager that in a few years it will be a HUGE win for us because of 2 extra players...
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,261
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: Staal vs Sutter

Postby Pitts on Wed May 01, 2013 2:31 pm

Beveridge wrote:He didn't say anything like that.

Although, I would wager that in a few years it will be a HUGE win for us because of 2 extra players...

I was adding emphasis because his argument is simply "wack."
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,433
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Re: Staal vs Sutter

Postby GaryRissling on Wed May 01, 2013 3:07 pm

Sutter is worth 2.7mil. Is anyone arguing that staal is actually worth $6mil? he has never consistently played at a level on par with that salary. And if they paid $6mil based on his potential, they must be expecting him to blossom into an top line center, which he'll never be IMO.
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,636
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:58 pm

Re: Staal vs Sutter

Postby penmyst on Wed May 01, 2013 4:58 pm

itissteeltime wrote:Check the Pens PK numbers with and without Staal. That is why he's the better player.


Yeah, like that Philly series last year?
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,369
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:30 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Staal vs Sutter

Postby penmyst on Wed May 01, 2013 4:59 pm

Pitts wrote: :thumb: I was gonna say the exact same thing. Sutter has done an admirable job -- and I always was a fan -- but I'm hoping for a little more from him next season.

I DO, however, think he is going to surprise everyone in the playoffs this year.


Don't care about the numbers. Care about the overall game and overall fit in his role on the team. And Sutter is doing everything they need and more.
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,369
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:30 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

e-mail