This could be a history defining playoffs for the Pens...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

This could be a history defining playoffs for the Pens...

Postby Frank27 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:36 pm

I was thinking about the Pens' playoff history over the years, and some startling facts came to mind:

Playoff record all time versus...
... Islanders: 0-3 (lost in 1974-75, 1981-82, and 1992-93)
... Maple Leafs: 0-3 (lost in 1975-76, 1976-77, and 1998-99)
... Canadiens: 0-2 (lost in 1997-98, and 2009-10)

A very real possibility exists for the Pens to reach the Finals by beating the Isles in the first round, followed by Toronto in the second, and then Montreal in the Eastern Final.

How sweet would that be to not only exorcise the demons of Healy and Volek, but then also beat the NHL's two most storied franchises to advance to the Finals? Even more amazing is the fact that we have an all-time playoff record of 0-8 in series against these teams.

This could turn out to be a post-season for the ages. Especially if we get to play Chicago for the Cup.
Frank27

Re: This could be a history defining playoffs for the Pens..

Postby IanMoran on Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:55 pm

Haha, I guess.

I don't know, I really do not judge the current teams by stuff that happened from 1974-1999.

Even the 2010 habs, most of those players are gone.

I will say it can be a history defining playoffs because if Sid, Geno, MAF are going to stack some cups up and have a shot of being remembered as somewhat of a dynasty they really need this one imo
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: This could be a history defining playoffs for the Pens..

Postby pcm on Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:05 pm

I highly doubt Montreal makes it to the ECF. And while Toronto has a chance of catching the Bruins offguard, their chances are also pretty unlikely for an upset (though that's what I'm betting on.)

I think it comes down to Pens-Caps in the ECF, which will be an epic series. If the Pens win and Chicago makes it out of the West, that would be the best Cup finals in a long long time. However, I think like in 93, when Mario vs. Gretzky didn't happen, Pens vs. Hawks won't happen either. I think St Louis upsets Chicago.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins