NBCSN Coverage - Will I miss Pens games?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

NBCSN Coverage - Will I miss Pens games?

Postby TheHammer24 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:31 pm

I live in Chicago. Tonight, the Hawks were the NBCSN game but because they're local we watched the game on Comcast Sports Net. However, because the game went into OT NBCSN remained blacked out.

I wonder if the local stations have exclusive hockey rights (like how CBS is blacked out when the Bears play) such that when the hawks play I'll miss all hockey.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: NBCSN Coverage - Will I miss Pens games?

Postby Ossa on Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:39 pm

Yes, local broadcasts have exclusive rights. You'll be fine.
Ossa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby TheHammer24 on Wed May 01, 2013 12:21 am

Ossa wrote:Yes, local broadcasts have exclusive rights. You'll be fine.

I live in Chicago. What happens if the pens and Hawks overlap?
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MRandall25 on Wed May 01, 2013 12:25 am

TheHammer24 wrote:
Ossa wrote:Yes, local broadcasts have exclusive rights. You'll be fine.

I live in Chicago. What happens if the pens and Hawks overlap?

I think NBCSN would show the Pens game.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby IanMoran on Wed May 01, 2013 12:35 am

TheHammer24 wrote:I live in Chicago. Tonight, the Hawks were the NBCSN game but because they're local we watched the game on Comcast Sports Net. However, because the game went into OT NBCSN remained blacked out.

I wonder if the local stations have exclusive hockey rights (like how CBS is blacked out when the Bears play) such that when the hawks play I'll miss all hockey.

You'll be fine. The NHL has it set up so every game will be on either NBCSN NBC or CNBC

I live in Minneapolis, and the LA / Stl game was on CNBC. Yes, the Detroit game was blacked out until after Minneapolis game ended. So really, the only way you'll be blacked out is if: The Pens are supposed to be on the same channel right after Chicago plays and Chicago has a long OT game
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby PaLionking on Wed May 01, 2013 7:26 am

You'll be fine. The NHL has it set up so every game will be on either NBCSN NBC or CNBC

I live in Minneapolis, and the LA / Stl game was on CNBC. Yes, the Detroit game was blacked out until after Minneapolis game ended. So really, the only way you'll be blacked out is if: The Pens are supposed to be on the same channel right after Chicago plays and Chicago has a long OT game

With the Chicago OT game last night they were showing the Duck/Wings game on NHL network until the Chicago game was over so they're doing a good job of not missing the games.
PaLionking
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby shoeshine boy on Wed May 01, 2013 8:33 am

not sure what provider you have but in the case of DirecTV they always have a second channel to open up (usually right below the original channel) in case 1 game goes long. another reason I love my DTV. :)
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby no name on Wed May 01, 2013 8:38 am

NHL was advertising when NBC bought the coverage that all games will be broadcasted, so i imagine it will be on.

So will this game be on Root tonight or NCBSN for our area.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Beveridge on Wed May 01, 2013 8:51 am

If you get Root, it will be on Root. Rest of the country will get it on one of the NBC stations.

I believe Sunday's game is the only "National" game where it will be NBC only.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ShipHockey7 on Wed May 01, 2013 9:44 am

In the event of an overlap between Hawks and Pens, if its on NBC or NBCSN or CNBC or whatever you can watch via an ipad or something along those lines with NBC Sports Extra app, came in real handy last night during the dual OT games. One on TV one on the app.

Not ideal, but better than nothing -- I think you can also stream online via their website
ShipHockey7
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Wed May 01, 2013 11:53 am

ShipHockey7 wrote:In the event of an overlap between Hawks and Pens, if its on NBC or NBCSN or CNBC or whatever you can watch via an ipad or something along those lines with NBC Sports Extra app, came in real handy last night during the dual OT games. One on TV one on the app.

Not ideal, but better than nothing -- I think you can also stream online via their website

All NBC national games can be streamed online or at least they were last couple seasons. There is only one game on each other channel and it looks like they are keeping NHL Network open for overlaps like OT games.

Now if multiple games go to OT and two are scheduled behind it you may have a later game get delayed or NHL net swapping back and forth. Seeing as the Pens are THE HIGHEST rated team they won't ever mess up coverage.

Comcast customers have also been able to stream NBCSN games lately. If you knwo a Comcast customer, askl them to create an email address for you, you will then have streaming access to all of their services they subscribe to, even HBO Go.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Ossa on Wed May 01, 2013 12:47 pm

For example, last night there was overlap due to the 2 games going into OT. The first period of the Ducks/Wings game ended up being moved to NHL Network. I doubt there would be any problems with overlap from games ending to late since all the Pens games will start at 7/730.
Ossa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby nocera on Wed May 01, 2013 1:37 pm

Just wait until the Kentucky Derby pre-race coverage bumps the end of another game.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins