Rossi compares Iginla to Fedotenko?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Rossi compares Iginla to Fedotenko?

Postby Defence21 on Wed May 01, 2013 8:52 am

In an article today, Rob Rossi wastes space comparing Jarome "Future Hall of Famer" Iginla to Ruslan "average third liner" Fedotenko. He says that Iginla has the opportunity to be the big, but not bruising, third wheel on a Malkin-led line.

First of all, way to insult Iginla comparing him to Fedotenko. Any line Iginla is on should feature him as a prominent member of that line, not as a third wheel whose job is to create space for the others. It worked with Fedotenko because he wasn't a superstar -- and while Iginla's "superstar" status may have dropped to "star," he's still more creative, dynamic, and dangerous offensively than Fedotenko ever was. In short, Iginla should not be a Fedotenko on Malkin's line, or anyone's line for that matter.

To add, Iginla has played the last few games at right wing with Dupuis and Jokinen as his linemates, while Kunitz took over at left wing on Malkin and Neal's line. They also practiced that way yesterday. I read on here yesterday that someone watched at a Penguin practice as Rossi ignored the on-ice action and instead engaged in conversation with Phil Bourque, while Kovacevic plotted around, also not watching. Rossi's article this morning is a pretty good indication that he hasn't been watching the way the lineup has been unfolding and that he is quite ignorant to how average Fedotenko was and how good Iginla is.

Lastly, just as a sidebar, Rossi Tweeted the following, which in turn showed up on my Facebook wall:

#TribHKY >> @JoshYohe_Trib reports #Pens' Crosby hopes doctor gives him green light for Game 1 | TribLIVE http://t.co/Tba1Hne4Jz #PitNYI

Wow! What a scoop! Yohe is reporting Crosby hopes he is healthy enough to play! I never would have guessed that!

Sorry for the rant, but the Trib is just becoming a pure joke, especially when compared with the professionalism at the PG.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Rossi compares Iginla to Fedotenko?

Postby the wicked child on Wed May 01, 2013 8:55 am

:face:
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sil on Wed May 01, 2013 9:00 am

Fedetenko is blushing somewhere right now.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed May 01, 2013 9:04 am

sil wrote:Fedetenko is blushing somewhere right now.

HAHAHAHA
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mac5155 on Wed May 01, 2013 9:06 am

POTW
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby no name on Wed May 01, 2013 9:06 am

Wow! What a scoop! Yohe is reporting Crosby hopes he is healthy enough to play! I never would have guessed that!

Sorry for the rant, but the Trib is just becoming a pure joke, especially when compared with the professionalism at the PG.

Well when your a Penguins insider you get all the juicy details. This little nugget is about as juicy as... well something very dry?
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby meow on Wed May 01, 2013 9:08 am

This is hands down the best post I've ever read on this board.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Kharlamov on Wed May 01, 2013 9:17 am

You've got to wonder if anyone approves or even looks at what Rossi gets to print...

I read that this morning and thought, aside from the comical comparison, that it was one of the most poorly written articles I've read in a long time.
Kharlamov
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby It'sagreatdayforhockey! on Wed May 01, 2013 9:25 am

Fedetenko has played in 108 playoff games and has 2 stanley cups. Iginla wishes he was as talented as The Tenk.
It'sagreatdayforhockey!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Wed May 01, 2013 9:27 am

I like Rob Rossi and the trib sports. It's good to have two papers .
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Defence21 on Wed May 01, 2013 9:28 am

Kharlamov wrote:You've got to wonder if anyone approves or even looks at what Rossi gets to print...

I read that this morning and thought, aside from the comical comparison, that it was one of the most poorly written articles I've read in a long time.

I agree. He has the ability to be a great writer, and often is. But his reporting is minimal, which results in sensational and frequent "no $&#@" statements.

In this case, I'm not even disputing the fact that, once Crosby is healthy, Iginla might play with Malkin. It might happen. But recent evidence shows that Bylsma likely is leaning away from that, as he's plugged Kunitz into the LW on Malkin and Neal's line. If the goal was to get Iginla comfortable on the left wing, might it be a good idea to play him there as the season came to an end and during post-season practices? Apparently Rossi overlooked (or never saw) that tidbit.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Froggy on Wed May 01, 2013 9:31 am

Stinkinla
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Wed May 01, 2013 9:33 am

I listened to Bryz's interview where he was so clearly frustrated with Philly Reporters. Why? They were much of much raking, sensationalist, headline-grabbing journalists unconcerned with content just like Rossi and DK. The sooner we ignore these bums and ostracize them to the periphery of Pittsburgh sports journalism and focus on legitimate reporting the better for the team and its fan base.

Rossi is an absolute bum. He'd be a troll if he posted these articles as a new poster.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby SoupOrSam on Wed May 01, 2013 9:34 am

FYI: One time i wiped with Rossi's face.

...just because.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Wed May 01, 2013 9:58 am

Wow you guys are sensitive and arrogant! (Jk kind of). Did anyone even read the article?

Not to defend Rossi cause he sucks but he is not comparing them as players at all, he is asking if Iginla will work in that same role - taking up space, having all their left wingers be that physical presence. It's one of the reasons they won the cup, physical role players to compliment their skill.

I don't think anyone will cry if he has 7 goals and 7 assists while playing a solid all around game. But if he doesn't bring anything to the table other than skill it was not a good pick up.

Nothing wrong with this article if you watched the 2009 series and understand why/how the Pens won the cup.

And btw - Sid has been on record as saying he prefers to play with Kunitz so there is merit to this question.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Defence21 on Wed May 01, 2013 10:08 am

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:Wow you guys are sensitive and arrogant! (Jk kind of). Did anyone even read the article?

Not to defend Rossi cause he sucks but he is not comparing them as players at all, he is asking if Iginla will work in that same role - taking up space, having all their left wingers be that physical presence. It's one of the reasons they won the cup, physical role players to compliment their skill.

I don't think anyone will cry if he has 7 goals and 7 assists while playing a solid all around game. But if he doesn't bring anything to the table other than skill it was not a good pick up.

Nothing wrong with this article if you watched the 2009 series and understand why/how the Pens won the cup.

And btw - Sid has been on record as saying he prefers to play with Kunitz so there is merit to this question.

Just a quick response here. Rossi was saying Iginla should play the Fedotenko role. I disagree. Iginla should play the Iginla role. He should be more than just a big body on the left side. He was brought here for his skill, his physicality, and his leadership. He was not brought here to be a plugger/chugger.

I also later mentioned that I don't disagree that it's possible Iginla could end up on that line, but Rossi made zero mention of the fact that, of late, Iginla has been at his natural right wing position on a line with Dupuis and Jokinen (who could easily be considered a fill-in for Crosby), while Kunitz shifted to Malkin and Neal's line. If the goal was for Iginla to play with Malkin and Neal, it might have been wise for him to play there during the last few meaningless games and in practice since the season ended. When Crosby returns, things may change, but I wouldn't necessarily bet on it.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby brwi on Wed May 01, 2013 10:24 am

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Wed May 01, 2013 10:27 am

Defence21 wrote:
BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:Wow you guys are sensitive and arrogant! (Jk kind of). Did anyone even read the article?

Just a quick response here. Rossi was saying Iginla should play the Fedotenko role. I disagree. Iginla should play the Iginla role. He should be more than just a big body on the left side. He was brought here for his skill, his physicality, and his leadership. He was not brought here to be a plugger/chugger.

I also later mentioned that I don't disagree that it's possible Iginla could end up on that line, but Rossi made zero mention of the fact that, of late, Iginla has been at his natural right wing position on a line with Dupuis and Jokinen (who could easily be considered a fill-in for Crosby), while Kunitz shifted to Malkin and Neal's line. If the goal was for Iginla to play with Malkin and Neal, it might have been wise for him to play there during the last few meaningless games and in practice since the season ended. When Crosby returns, things may change, but I wouldn't necessarily bet on it.

I don't disagree in general with your comments above, I just don't think he was at all comparing them as individual players or its out if the question to wonder if he will play a more physical role, it's when our team excels especially our centers in the playoffs - see the last few years.

Everyone on here was going nuts as if Rossi was actually comparing them and that wasnt point of the article or even close. He was comparing a successful past role that will need filled to a point this playoff run.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby profpolisci on Wed May 01, 2013 10:34 am

penny lane wrote:I like Rob Rossi and the trib sports. It's good to have two papers .
profpolisci
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby TwoSheds on Wed May 01, 2013 11:43 am

FEDOSTINKOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
TwoSheds
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Great58 on Wed May 01, 2013 12:03 pm

It'sagreatdayforhockey! wrote:Fedetenko has played in 108 playoff games and has 2 stanley cups. Iginla wishes he was as talented as The Tenk.

And RFeds has a Stanley Cup winning goal to his credit. :slug:
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby marek on Wed May 01, 2013 12:09 pm

brwi wrote:

He's on a golf course somewhere
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby TwoSheds on Wed May 01, 2013 12:11 pm

marek wrote:
brwi wrote:

He's on a golf course somewhere

He is a 'fill in' 4th on a foursome there too I bet.
A few years ago, he tapped in a putt to win a scramble.
TwoSheds
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pcm on Wed May 01, 2013 12:23 pm

The premise of the article is way off. Iginla brings so much more than a crash and bang left wing. In truth, I've not seen him do much crashing or banging at all. The closest comparison to the cup winning team would be Guerin, not Tank.

And anyways, we do have 2 "crash and bang" LW's already, if you want to compose your lines that way...why try and force Iginla into that role? Kunitz and Morrow are playing great hockey.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins