Shortened season to Pens advantage?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Shortened season to Pens advantage?

Postby IanMoran on Thu May 02, 2013 12:19 am

The Pens obviously play a very high-energy, taxing type of game.

I've seen criticisms that HCDB's style causes the Pens to fade away towards the end of the season and then collapse in the playoffs.

The only playoffs this didn't happen would be the year he didn't coach the entire time. With the shortened season could this year bring similar results?

I'm not even really convinced of this theory, but just a thought I had and wondered how others felt?
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Shortened season to Pens advantage?

Postby rjb2112 on Thu May 02, 2013 1:07 am

That was my thought heading into the season. But the trade deadline haul now makes it tough to judge, as this group is hard to match regardless of the circumstances.
rjb2112

Postby IMFC on Thu May 02, 2013 3:37 am

Already on record in another thread that its an advantage along with the deep roster.

But Don Maclean is the greatest coach ever and the Sens are going 16-0 Cup City, so the correct answer is no, it's not an advantage.
IMFC
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu May 02, 2013 8:08 am

IMFC wrote:Already on record in another thread that its an advantage along with the deep roster.

But Don Maclean is the greatest coach ever and the Sens are going 16-0 Cup City, so the correct answer is no, it's not an advantage.

Pretty much this.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu May 02, 2013 8:09 am

The shortened season generally benefits the Pens because they are one of the lazier teams in the league so they tend to do well with less practices and more time off.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Thu May 02, 2013 8:14 am

shafnutz05 wrote:The shortened season generally benefits the Pens because they are one of the lazier teams in the league so they tend to do well with less practices and more time off.

:slug:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kovy27 on Thu May 02, 2013 8:22 am

IMFC wrote:Already on record in another thread that its an advantage along with the deep roster.

Yeah. This is a good point.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby no name on Thu May 02, 2013 9:23 am

Not sure about an advantage, but i honestly have to admit i loved the shorted season schedule. It was so nice having hockey just about every other day. With the shortened season it was also great that once out of the gate every game seemed to mean that much more.

Now i will admit i think it was due mostly to the lockout, that there was added excitment to the season. But that crammed schedule was kinda nice.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pens9192 on Thu May 02, 2013 10:59 am

If the Pens do win the cup, I can envision some ***holes wanting to put an asterisk next to this year because of the shortened season and try to discredit the Pens' accomplishment.
pens9192
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Thu May 02, 2013 11:01 am

pens9192 wrote:If the Pens do win the cup, I can envision some ***holes wanting to put an asterisk next to this year because of the shortened season and try to discredit the Pens' accomplishment.

fyp
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pressure=9Pa on Thu May 02, 2013 12:16 pm

IanMoran wrote:The Pens obviously play a very high-energy, taxing type of game.

I've seen criticisms that HCDB's style causes the Pens to fade away towards the end of the season and then collapse in the playoffs.

The only playoffs this didn't happen would be the year he didn't coach the entire time. With the shortened season could this year bring similar results?

I'm not even really convinced of this theory, but just a thought I had and wondered how others felt?

I don't buy the theory in general for the skaters. During the Olympic year the schedule was compressed, and we went 7-6 in the playoffs with some terrible bounces and inconsistant goaltending. Although the sample space is small, there might have been a benefit for MAF. However, simply having TV on the roster probably mitigated most of that. MAF missed large portions of the regular season in both years we reached the SCF, and was fairly well rested come playoff time. Last year, he played nearly every March and April game and was attrocious in the playoffs. I've been accused of being a MAF apologist in the past, but I think his regualr season workload is very closely tied to his post-season capability.
pressure=9Pa
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins