2013 Playoffs Game 1 vs NYI- Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

2013 Playoffs Game 1 vs NYI- Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Thu May 02, 2013 7:41 am

Pens win 5-0

- A dominant effort from start to finish. MAF (and team D) deserved the shutout
- This game did remind me of the 2007 Ottawa-Pens series from years back, men against boys.
- Reasoner's intentional tripkick should be suspensionable. Cheap move & healing vibes to Jussi
- Pens never let up during this game. Punishing hits from minute 1 to minute 60. Makes for extra chippy finishes though.
- A Super Duper effort results in 2 goals for him. I think I want to see him lift the cup more than anyone else
- Matt Martin - Doug Murray battle is one for the ages. Some big hits and near misses
- Glass, Eaton, Nisky, Adams - the lunch pail gang deserve tons of credit, beat whoever they were up against and made it look easy
- In my opinion, Iggy's early shot off of Nabakov's head rattled him, helped to chase him from the net
- I 'almost' wish for close games, I don't want the Isles gooning up the Pens. Why risk playing Sid vs. inferior goonish team?
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: 2013 Playoffs Game 1 vs NYI- Thoughts from the Morning A

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu May 02, 2013 7:54 am

I liked how Pierre kept on repeating "YOU ARE NEVER IN TROUBLE IN A PLAYOFF SERIES UNTIL YOU LOSE A HOME GAME" when talking about the Islanders. Is he aware they are a lower seed?
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sil on Thu May 02, 2013 7:59 am

Penspal wrote:- In my opinion, Iggy's early shot off of Nabakov's head rattled him, helped to chase him from the net.

Well, so long as no one in the commonwealth had a smile on their face at anytime during that shot...because if they did, Capuano will send out his thugs in retaliation tomorrow night. :evil:
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby topshelf66 on Thu May 02, 2013 7:59 am

I am not sure how it came across on TV, but the 10-16-24 line really had a strong game. They put the puck behind the net at every opportunity and began the playoff process of grinding these B*****s down.
The team swarmed 91 especially on the PP.
NYI D'men "bailed out" on multiple hits behind their own net. They spun away while flinging the puck rather than taking the hit to make a better play.
I thought I saw HCJC take one in the mullet? Did they show this on TV?
In game entertainment was completely out of control. The occasional organ music was nice, but otherwise the playoff strategy is "even louder". It was an assault on the senses.
Martin wants no part of Murray. Murray is a beast. There were a few times where he just knocked people over from a standing position. No momentum at all, but just pushed on them and they went down.
topshelf66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens_srq on Thu May 02, 2013 8:04 am

sil wrote:
Penspal wrote:- In my opinion, Iggy's early shot off of Nabakov's head rattled him, helped to chase him from the net.

Well, so long as no one in the commonwealth had a smile on their face at anytime during that shot...because if they did, Capuano will send out his thugs in retaliation tomorrow night. :evil:

Unfortunately I'm fairly certain that already started last night. Reasoner had been a healthy scratch for 10 games. The injury to Neal was a low hit as well. The officials were really poor last night. They let the game get out of hand. If they allow the Islanders to take out our players with cheap shots like this we will have trouble after this round.
pens_srq
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby no name on Thu May 02, 2013 8:13 am

The Islanders reminded me of the Pens in 2007 vs Ottawa. Just overwhelmed... You just can't put into context a team with alot of playoff experience. As much as you think the playoffs is just another hockey game. It really brings it to a whole other level.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby RxBandit66 on Thu May 02, 2013 8:14 am

The only problem with having a short season is that scab teams like the Islanders can sneak into the playoffs. They are a garbage team and a garbage organization, led by a thug behind their bench.

The best thing to do is just sweep these guys aside in 4 games, don't get caught up in their antics because it's the only chance they have to even keep these games close.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby bh on Thu May 02, 2013 8:15 am

- Bennett was made for the playoffs, what a game by him.
- Letang was everywhere out there. His skating is just marvelous.
- Morrow is everything that I hoped he would be. I have wanted him on this team for the last 10 years. Heck of a hockey player.
- Dupuis just keeps doing what he does.
- I hope Jussi and Neal are both ok.
- MAF looked in control all night. There were only a few shots by the Islanders that I though looked dangerous and he handled them pretty easily.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Penspal on Thu May 02, 2013 8:16 am

no name wrote:The Islanders reminded me of the Pens in 2007 vs Ottawa. Just overwhelmed... You just can't put into context a team with alot of playoff experience. As much as you think the playoffs is just another hockey game. It really brings it to a whole other level.

Penspal wrote:- This game did remind me of the 2007 Ottawa-Pens series from years back, men against boys.

glad I'm not the only one. Hopefully it ends the same way.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby darkstar57 on Thu May 02, 2013 8:16 am

pens_srq wrote: The injury to Neal was a low hit as well. The officials were really poor last night. They let the game get out of hand. .

-I disagree with taht first statement, the injury to Neal was a normal hockey play, just unfortunate, i think he'll be fine it was 4-0 at that point, get some extra time to rest and relax.
-first 10 mins of the game was too choppy with all the whistles, once the game got a flow to it the pens just blew them out
-i have to listen to the islanders announcers for this series, they kept harping on the islanders where playing playoff type games for 20 games. Sorry guys but this was a playoff game and you got blown out
-Hitting, according to the official stats the islanders had 41 hits, but outside of the one to neal and jussi, i really couldn't remember hits by the islander, meanwhile the pens just seem to make an impact every time they hit
-Fleury was shaky in the first (as pointed out multi time by the horrible islander announcers, thanks guys it was obvious) but he seemed to settle down in the second and was his normal cool fluery in the third. His play this post season going to really depend on this next game, i think if he is strong he gets back into that flower 07-09 form.
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby columbia on Thu May 02, 2013 8:16 am

Glass looked like he's been there before, after scoring that goal. He immediately had a flashback to being 12.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby RxBandit66 on Thu May 02, 2013 8:17 am

shafnutz05 wrote:I liked how Pierre kept on repeating "YOU ARE NEVER IN TROUBLE IN A PLAYOFF SERIES UNTIL YOU LOSE A HOME GAME" when talking about the Islanders. Is he aware they are a lower seed?

YOU ARE NEVER IN TROUBLE IN A PLAYOFF SERIES UNTIL YOUR GOALTENDING COLLAPSES.

Oh, wait....
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Troy Loney on Thu May 02, 2013 8:18 am

Penspal wrote:Pens win 5-0

-- This game did remind me of the 2007 Ottawa-Pens series from years back, men against boys.

Yep, I had that exact same feeling. Luckily there's no Detroit Powerhouse coming out of the west. All we need is someone like Ryan Whitney to beat the crap out of one of the Islanders.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Thu May 02, 2013 8:22 am

1. Jokinen seems to be around the puck all of the time. Does the puck "find him"?
2. Morrow is one tough SOB. As is Murray.
3. I seldom watched Calgary, so I didn't realize Iggy had such a heavy shot. The guy can bring it.
4. Eaton played one helluva game last night. Nice work Mark...and GMRS.
5. The hit on Neal reminded me of the one on Crosby in game 7 of the '09 SCF vs Detroit.
6. Tavares has got to be talking to himself this AM. Pens put him in a bottle last night.
7. Like the guys on NBCSN said, the Pens sent a message to the rest of the league. :fist:
8. Letang seemed particularly elusive when he carried the puck last night.
9. Martin continued his solid play he exibited in the regular season.

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby tfrizz on Thu May 02, 2013 8:23 am

topshelf66 wrote:I am not sure how it came across on TV, but the 10-16-24 line really had a strong game. They put the puck behind the net at every opportunity and began the playoff process of grinding these B*****s down.
The team swarmed 91 especially on the PP.
NYI D'men "bailed out" on multiple hits behind their own net. They spun away while flinging the puck rather than taking the hit to make a better play.
I thought I saw HCJC take one in the mullet? Did they show this on TV?
In game entertainment was completely out of control. The occasional organ music was nice, but otherwise the playoff strategy is "even louder". It was an assault on the senses.
Martin wants no part of Murray. Murray is a beast. There were a few times where he just knocked people over from a standing position. No momentum at all, but just pushed on them and they went down.

I definitely noticed it. Outside of putting the puck in the net, they did absolutely everything you could ask of your third line.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Gaucho on Thu May 02, 2013 8:25 am

Almost didn't find this among all the other new threads.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu May 02, 2013 8:25 am

Not sweeping this team would be something of a surprise after watching that game.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pens_srq on Thu May 02, 2013 8:26 am

darkstar57 wrote:
pens_srq wrote: The injury to Neal was a low hit as well. The officials were really poor last night. They let the game get out of hand. .

-I disagree with taht first statement, the injury to Neal was a normal hockey play, just unfortunate, i think he'll be fine it was 4-0 at that point, get some extra time to rest and relax.

It looked to me from the replays of Neal hit like Hamonic's right knee jams into the back right side of Neal's knee. Look at 0:05 http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck- ... 49456.html but that's what I see.
pens_srq
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby tfrizz on Thu May 02, 2013 8:29 am

darkstar57 wrote:-Fleury was shaky in the first (as pointed out multi time by the horrible islander announcers, thanks guys it was obvious) but he seemed to settle down in the second and was his normal cool fluery in the third. His play this post season going to really depend on this next game, i think if he is strong he gets back into that flower 07-09 form.

He looked like he had the jitters early on, but who could blame him after last year's playoffs? All-in-all he settled in nicely and got the shutout.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tfrizz on Thu May 02, 2013 8:30 am

RxBandit66 wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:I liked how Pierre kept on repeating "YOU ARE NEVER IN TROUBLE IN A PLAYOFF SERIES UNTIL YOU LOSE A HOME GAME" when talking about the Islanders. Is he aware they are a lower seed?

Oh, wait....

But everyone who said the Islanders had the advantage in goal told me it was a "different year, different team" for Nabokov. I guess they forgot to mention that it was the same old Nabokov :pop:
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby CERV96 on Thu May 02, 2013 8:33 am

tfrizz wrote:
RxBandit66 wrote:

Oh, wait....

But everyone who said the Islanders had the advantage in goal told me it was a "different year, different team" for Nabokov. I guess they forgot to mention that it was the same old Nabokov :pop:

Not trying to be Debbie Downer or anything here, but didn't we chase Halak in game 1 series vs the Habs?
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby joopen on Thu May 02, 2013 8:33 am

tfrizz wrote:
RxBandit66 wrote:

Oh, wait....

BUT GENO AND SID HAVEN'T SCORED ON NABOKOV EVAR!!!!
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Penspal on Thu May 02, 2013 8:33 am

- Refereeing was poor by regular seasons standards. Playoffs are ref'ed differently, the NHL wants hitting & excitement. Pens results showed their experience, they know.
- On the other hand, must call the blatant cheapshots. Ference headshot hit on Grabovski not called, hopefully suspension worthy as well, otherwise goonery wins

- Agree, MAF didn't look as sharp to start as he can, but he dialed it down and hopefully this is what he needs to be sharp from minute 1
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby PensFanInDC on Thu May 02, 2013 8:35 am

Men against boys last night. Very reminiscent of the 2007 Pens squad. We lost game 1 6-3 and won game 2 in a tighter match 4-3. I expect a closer game tomorrow, maybe even an Isles win, but the pens are geared to win this series in 4 or 5 games.

Boulion was decent in net and made some really nice saves. He could be a wild card if, for some reason, Nabby doesn't play tomorrow. No reason he shouldn't though.

As far as the Pens are concerned, not much went wrong. Some bad giveaways but that's about it.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu May 02, 2013 8:35 am

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=61621&p=2401064#p2401064

Idoit40fans wrote:Nabakov played for the Sharks. Just sayin'
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins