2013 Playoffs Game 1 vs NYI- Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: 2013 Playoffs Game 1 vs NYI- Thoughts from the Morning A

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri May 03, 2013 9:50 am

I don't think its that clear cut, but I am definitely on the "Malkin is more important" side. Here's hoping the cap jumps up(relative to the 63 mill or whatever) next year to the point that we can confidently see it jumping up again the following year and giving Malkin huge dollars is easier to swallow. At that time, it becomes a no brainer.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Odd Man Rush on Fri May 03, 2013 9:52 am

RxBandit66 wrote:Geno has not been good, aside from a great stretch of games during last regular season. Take those 50 games away and he's been a minus player over the last four seasons, averaging less than a point per game.

Right and take away Crosby's "Golden Goal" against Miller in the 2010 Olympics and he failed miserably in Vancouver, thus making him a choker. While we're at it, take away the 2009 postseason and the Penguins are chokers in the playoffs - losing in the first or second round in nearly every season.

You could play that stupid game all day long.
Odd Man Rush
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby tfrizz on Fri May 03, 2013 9:54 am

Idoit40fans wrote:Well Malkin has never had a season that wasn't great, but he has had one season in which he was the best player in the game in the last 4.

Regarding Malkin, I'd love to see him re-sign with the Pens but I don't think he should get the $10+ million per year a lot of people are projecting.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby JoseCuervo on Fri May 03, 2013 10:04 am

Malkin is a better player than Letang, but the offense is still very effective without Malkin in the line-up. I just think it would be much harder to replace Letang and his impact on the defense than Malkin's impact on the offense. Obviously, they won't be able to replace Malkin's production, but a solid, cheaper second line center could still be extremely effective with Bennet/Neal on his wings.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shmenguin on Fri May 03, 2013 10:38 am

JoseCuervo wrote:Malkin is a better player than Letang, but the offense is still very effective without Malkin in the line-up. I just think it would be much harder to replace Letang and his impact on the defense than Malkin's impact on the offense. Obviously, they won't be able to replace Malkin's production, but a solid, cheaper second line center could still be extremely effective with Bennet/Neal on his wings.

i agree. the best evidence is how we do when either player is out of the lineup. without letang, there is a huge dip - more than anyone other individual on the team.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Fri May 03, 2013 10:55 am

tfrizz wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:Well Malkin has never had a season that wasn't great, but he has had one season in which he was the best player in the game in the last 4.

Regarding Malkin, I'd love to see him re-sign with the Pens but I don't think he should get the $10+ million per year a lot of people are projecting.

That might be his market value, but we'll see if Shero feels obligated to pay it.....and, yes, it pains me to even think about that.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Fri May 03, 2013 10:59 am

Not a decision I'd want to make.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JoseCuervo on Fri May 03, 2013 11:14 am

I can't imagine Malkin in a different jersey
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri May 03, 2013 11:18 am

JoseCuervo wrote:I can't imagine Malkin in a different jersey

:lol:
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby RxBandit66 on Fri May 03, 2013 11:24 am

Gaucho wrote:
RxBandit66 wrote:Take those 50 games away

Always a fantastic argument.

Over 4 seasons plus postseason, that is a massive sample, and 50 regular season games is a small portion of that. But my point was simply that Letang is more valuable.

I'm not saying he's a better player. When Geno is healthy, determined, and confident, he's the best player in the world not named Sidney Crosby.

It would be awful to lose Malkin, but this is the salary cap era, and without Letang, this team would be far worse off. Nobody in the world, even Sid, can do what Letang does. While he may not be the best power play quarterback and does not score a ton of goals, he is the Pens most important player in terms of how they play. Their transition game drastically suffers with him out.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby blackjack68 on Fri May 03, 2013 11:48 am

columbia wrote:
tfrizz wrote:

That might be his market value, but we'll see if Shero feels obligated to pay it.....and, yes, it pains me to even think about that.

In Shero I Trust.
blackjack68
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Bathgate on Fri May 03, 2013 5:39 pm

Pens local rating on Root Sport: 20.6
Isles local rating on MSG+: 1.1
Bathgate
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat May 04, 2013 2:32 pm

Bathgate wrote:Pens local rating on Root Sport: 20.6
Isles local rating on MSG+: 1.1

Well... To be fair, the markets are entirely different, less than 30% of the NY market are hockey fans and even then most of those are Rags fans. Plus the Devils are another drain.

When I went down to my favorite Long Island Pub Wednesday night there were probably 75 people there. Only two TV's (out of a dozen or so) were tinned to the Isles-Pens, the others were watching the Basketball game.

I saw four people with Isles sweaters on and by the third period even they were paying more attention to the Basketball game than watching hockey.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins