2013 Playoffs Game 1 vs NYI- Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: 2013 Playoffs Game 1 vs NYI- Thoughts from the Morning A

Postby littlemoonboot on Thu May 02, 2013 2:55 pm

I've been listening to Penguins Live/Pittsburgh radio via internet more often lately and was wondering if guys on the radio are ALWAYS this crazy enthusiastic after a game 1 win, or if this year is just special?

Talk of Pens dominating and hopefully sweeping, Islanders being destroyed, etc. I mean it certainly was a pretty scary win. But in comparison, what was the response in town and on the radio when the Pens beat the Habs or Lightning in game 1 in the recent past? Are they always this crazy? 8-)
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Thu May 02, 2013 3:23 pm

not every dirty hit is suspension worthy. i suppose the context of reasoner's hit is pretty dubious, but the "hit" itself doesn't deserve a suspension.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BigMcK on Thu May 02, 2013 3:25 pm

I LUV Brian Strait!

Spoiler:
as an Islander

The way he was battling with Cooke makes you wonder if Cooke pulled a stunt on him while he was on the Penguins. Cooke is so deep in his kitchen, Strait can't even see clear enough to find the 'Fridge to get milk for his cereal.
BigMcK
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Bathgate on Thu May 02, 2013 6:30 pm

Just wondering. What might the final score have been had the quality of the goaltending been reversed?
Bathgate
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby lemieuxReturns on Thu May 02, 2013 6:40 pm

my main thought after the game... we are not going to be able to afford dupuis this offseason.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Thu May 02, 2013 6:41 pm

Not gonna be able to afford Letang, either.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DesertPenguin on Thu May 02, 2013 10:18 pm

Duper has a Pens logo tattooed on his back. He will take the hometown discount.
DesertPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Froggy on Thu May 02, 2013 10:27 pm

DesertPenguin wrote:Duper has a Pens logo tattooed on his back. He will take the hometown discount.

if someone offers him more than 3 or 4 mil a year, he'd be foolish not to leave. I don't care how much he likes it here. This is probably the last contract he's gonna sign.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JoseCuervo on Thu May 02, 2013 11:10 pm

Dupuis could have gotten more after his last contact too. I'll be surprised if he isn't a pen next season.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby meow on Thu May 02, 2013 11:13 pm

DesertPenguin wrote:Duper has a Pens logo tattooed on his back. He will take the hometown discount.

So does Mark Recchi
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby knives of ice on Thu May 02, 2013 11:20 pm

won't be surprised at all if shero does something this offseason to clear some cap space.

i'd really really hate to lose letang, but won't be surprised at all if shero is forced to deal him like staal cause there is no way the pens are going to pay him 8-10 million per year that he can get as a ufa.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby guiner on Fri May 03, 2013 12:30 am

knives of ice wrote:won't be surprised at all if shero does something this offseason to clear some cap space.

i'd really really hate to lose letang, but won't be surprised at all if shero is forced to deal him like staal cause there is no way the pens are going to pay him 8-10 million per year that he can get as a ufa.

I don't see how Letang can't really be replaced at this point. The team absolutely relies on his transition and ability to join rush and get back. Its sick how it almost creates 6 players for us. I'd rather lose Orpik and Nisky's salaries and count on a more mature Despres and Bortuzzo with youth coming in somewhere amongst Harrington, Maatta, Dumoulin, Pouliot etc. We have fantastic depth in D, its gotta be given an opportunity to mature and and provide entry level value.
guiner
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby knives of ice on Fri May 03, 2013 12:39 am

guiner wrote:
knives of ice wrote:won't be surprised at all if shero does something this offseason to clear some cap space.

I don't see how Letang can't really be replaced at this point. The team absolutely relies on his transition and ability to join rush and get back. Its sick how it almost creates 6 players for us. I'd rather lose Orpik and Nisky's salaries and count on a more mature Despres and Bortuzzo with youth coming in somewhere amongst Harrington, Maatta, Dumoulin, Pouliot etc. We have fantastic depth in D, its gotta be given an opportunity to mature and and provide entry level value.

i agree. no doubt shero will offer a deal the pens can afford i'd bet in like the 6.5 million dollar range for 8 years. if he turns that down you pretty much have to trade letang, just no way you can let him go for nothing just like staal.

alot may also depend on what happens this year in the playoffs.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby no name on Fri May 03, 2013 7:37 am

If i was a GM around the league i would be weary of signing any former Penguins offensive defenceman. Gogo and Whitney i think were products of the Pens talent up front. Letang is good but i don't see him putting up points like he does with us on another team.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Malkamaniac on Fri May 03, 2013 7:50 am

meow wrote:

So does Mark Recchi

Just about to say this, Recchi has three different logos on him. It's simply a memory to cherish a successful season.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Fri May 03, 2013 8:05 am

no name wrote:If i was a GM around the league i would be weary of signing any former Penguins offensive defenceman. Gogo and Whitney i think were products of the Pens talent up front. Letang is good but i don't see him putting up points like he does with us on another team.

Whitney was a very good offensive defense man. It wasn't that he was bad and was masked by the Pens talent it was that he had crazy ankle issues to the point that his entire ankle had to be reconstructed. Whitney had his skating taken away and when you take away the skating you take away a lot of the d-man's effectiveness. A guy doesn't score 59 points from the back end without have talent. Goligoski on the other hand was a pure snake oil sale by Ray Shero. He was never very good, his stats were hugely misleading. He just isn't that good.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Fri May 03, 2013 8:08 am

I don't think Shero would have much problem trading Niskanen, if he were to want to.
Whether that would be a good idea is another story.....He probably can't re-sign Murray without doing so and even then it might not be possible.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri May 03, 2013 8:41 am

The whole religious war over Ryan Whitney will probably NEVER die.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby JoseCuervo on Fri May 03, 2013 9:17 am

This may be considered blasphemy by many, but I think keeping Letang is more important than keeping Malkin. Obviously, I want to keep both if possible, but Letang is too important to the defense.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri May 03, 2013 9:20 am

I don't think its blasphemy, but I don't agree.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby RxBandit66 on Fri May 03, 2013 9:39 am

In reality, Malkin has had one good regular season out of the last four. He has not had a good postseason since the 2009 Cup year. He's constantly injured, and has not improved on draws or his tendency to take bad penalties. The Pens can't afford to pay a player like that 9 million. They could get two very good young players and a high draft pick for him, so it may be time to move on from the two superstar model. Dealing Malkin would enable Shero to replace the picks he lost at this year's deadline.

Letang cannot be replaced. His skill set is critical to the Pens and their system. Geno has not been good, aside from a great stretch of games during last regular season. Take those 50 games away and he's been a minus player over the last four seasons, averaging less than a point per game.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri May 03, 2013 9:41 am

Well Malkin has never had a season that wasn't great, but he has had one season in which he was the best player in the game in the last 4.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Fri May 03, 2013 9:46 am

RxBandit66 wrote:Take those 50 games away

Always a fantastic argument.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Odd Man Rush on Fri May 03, 2013 9:47 am

Yeah, that's not blasphemy but it's also not true.

Don't get me wrong, keeping Letang is extremely important. Were the Pens to lose #58 it would be a TOUGH blow - the toughest loss this organ-I-zation will have suffered in this new era. If you can help it, you don't let Norris Trophy caliber defensemen just walk away.

If I were Shero, I would find a way to keep Malkin and Letang even if it meant saying goodbye to other veteran D-men. Letang is BY FAR our best D and it would be incredibly foolish to let him walk, IMHO. Now, we may not have any other choice. Maybe he wants to go elsewhere? Maybe he won't be willing to take less to keep the team together? If that's the case, then you trade him and move on. That's just how it goes sometimes. However, if there is any way we can keep him (and Malkin) then we absolutely need to do that.

That said, Malkin in the priority and there's no two ways about that.
Odd Man Rush
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri May 03, 2013 9:50 am

I hope anyone who leaves pulls a Rushel Shell and at least has the courtesy to go to the Western Conference... :pop:
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins