2013 Playoffs Game 1 vs NYI- Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: 2013 Playoffs Game 1 vs NYI- Thoughts from the Morning A

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Thu May 02, 2013 11:16 am

DropEmJayBird wrote:One day - I will get to see the entire lineup on the ice at the same time. My God... it will be glorious.

It's ridiculous, isn't it? Almost absurd how much the core gets injured.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu May 02, 2013 11:18 am

Geezer wrote:According to 93.7 the Fan, Iggy's shot broke Nabokov's mask. " I never had that happen before. The shot took a chunk out of my mask. It was a good mask".

I think Bennett's play has forced DB to keep him in the line up. He's been getting notice for his play away from the puck, his defensive play and his passing and poise. It kind of remind's me of a Chuck Noll comment about how he expected some rookie to make his talented team. "How should I know? It's his responsibility to figure out how to make the team, not mine". Bennett has forced DB to make decisions to scratch other players because Beau is playing his way into the lineup.

Haha, I remember one of my friends breaking his own mask that he had custom painted that my other friend was wearing with a wrist shot while playing ball hockey.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Orlando Penguin on Thu May 02, 2013 11:18 am

--A complete performance. Everyone was on their game and nobody was flat. Anyone who thinks that someone was lacking last night should go find something else to do for the next 2 months.

--Great that Bennett kicked off the scoring. A reward for how hard he's played this year. It's an embarrassment of riches that he'll probably get the press box when Sid comes back (barring anyone else getting dinged). You can wring your hands all you want about Bennett being better than Glass and Adams and he shouldn't be sitting and that's fine. But Glass and Adams bring a lot of grit and PK ability and that's what is needed in grinding playoff games.

--If you think the hit on Neal was dirty, I'm gonna put you through to Eugene Melnyk's office. You seem to have a lot in common with his thinking.

--Injuries...they happen in the playoffs. One of my co-workers who is also a Penguins fan was lamenting Neal going down. Yeah, it sucks. It's unfortunate that we can't seem to get the fully-intact lineup on the ice yet. But, you can't worry about who's not out there. Not with this team. These injuries this year are far different than 2011 when Sid missed the TB series, etc. There is so much extra skill on this team that makes up for Sid or Geno or Neal being out. Past years, there was no one to pick up the slack. Now if Letang and Martin go down at the same time, then we might be in trouble.

--Keep pounding Taveras. Isles have some ok scorers but if you cut off the head, the body will die. We've seen it employed on us. We have the players to specialize in shadowing him.
Orlando Penguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Malkamaniac on Thu May 02, 2013 11:19 am

Murray hitting Tavares and then pushing his head back down to the ice was enjoyable.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu May 02, 2013 11:22 am

Orlando Penguin wrote:--Keep pounding Taveras. Isles have some ok scorers but if you cut off the head, the body will die. We've seen it employed on us. We have the players to specialize in shadowing him.

I thought two more grew back in its place. Hail Hydra!
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tfrizz on Thu May 02, 2013 11:25 am

I'd just like to take a moment to remind everyone that the Islanders have the advantage in goal.

Spoiler:
:lol:
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Fire0nice228 on Thu May 02, 2013 11:28 am

Great game, pens did exactly what they needed to do in totally outclassing the Isles and not giving them a chance to think they belong for even one period of the playoffs.

Over the course of an 82 game season, these Islanders are not a playoff team, and it shows.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby IntangibleBeer on Thu May 02, 2013 11:58 am

It is now obvious that the acquisitions of Morrow, Murray, Jokinen, and Iginla by genius GMRS were the massive infusions of grit, experience, and hunger this team needed. They are paying huge dividends.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Nizzy on Thu May 02, 2013 12:06 pm

It's a joke.

I literally got bored with 18:00 left in the 3rd period. Just felt bad. Islanders made the playoffs, their franchise is getting better. Hand Claps. Pens are so stupid if they start fights with this scrub team. They need to just let it go, put in 4-5 goals and win this series in 4.

I don't know why people were making comments like "mindless nonsense"...this is the Islanders. 0 Players in the team have cup finals experience, very young core, our team has so much more experience...IT SHOULD BE A SWEEP. This is the best Pens team in 20 years. It should be a sweep, they should get blown out.

I rest my case.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Bathgate on Thu May 02, 2013 12:19 pm

Beau Bennett scores his first playoff goal on his first shift of his first playoff game.

You long-time Pens fans might remember being terribly frustrated with Rick Kehoe, our scoring star of the late '70's-early '80's. He failed to score a playoff goal until his 25th or so playoff game. He was a major disappointing factor in why some decent Pens teams could not advance far in the playoffs.

What a contrast with Kehoe is Bennett. I hope it means great things can be expected from Bennett in future playoffs.
Bathgate
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby no name on Thu May 02, 2013 12:42 pm

Loved how Bylsma had the power play with Murry Engelland Adams Glass Morrow out on the Power play to end the game. Granted it was to be ready in case they wanted to goon it up in the end. But it also was a bit of a insult to do that to.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu May 02, 2013 12:54 pm

Bathgate wrote:Beau Bennett scores his first playoff goal on his first shift of his first playoff game.

You long-time Pens fans might remember being terribly frustrated with Rick Kehoe, our scoring star of the late '70's-early '80's. He failed to score a playoff goal until his 25th or so playoff game. He was a major disappointing factor in why some decent Pens teams could not advance far in the playoffs.

What a contrast with Kehoe is Bennett. I hope it means great things can be expected from Bennett in future playoffs.

While I totally agree that Bennett has been a fantastic addition and has great promise for the future, he has a much better supporting cast than Kehoe ever did.

I actually think there are some similarities between those Pens playoff teams that Kehoe played on and this Tavares led Isles team. Let's hope the Pens can turn Tavares into Kehoe II.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby TrueNorth on Thu May 02, 2013 1:09 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:
DropEmJayBird wrote:One day - I will get to see the entire lineup on the ice at the same time. My God... it will be glorious.

Has there ever been a team more supremely blessed and at the same time seemingly cursed than the Pittsburgh Penguins? It’s almost become part of the Penguins’ identity, dating all the way back to Lemieux. So much talent, so much rotten luck.
TrueNorth
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby NashvilleCat on Thu May 02, 2013 1:40 pm

TrueNorth wrote:
Digitalgypsy66 wrote:

Has there ever been a team more supremely blessed and at the same time seemingly cursed than the Pittsburgh Penguins? It’s almost become part of the Penguins’ identity, dating all the way back to Lemieux. So much talent, so much rotten luck.

Lemieux? What about Michelle Briere?
NashvilleCat
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Bathgate on Thu May 02, 2013 2:02 pm

NashvilleCat wrote:
TrueNorth wrote:
Digitalgypsy66 wrote:

Add to that the promising careers of Wayne Bianchin (broken neck), Roger Belanger (ruined back), Tom Edur (quit the Pens for Jehovah’s Witnesses), and Alex Stojanov (auto accident ended career). They also lost mid-career journeyman Stan Gilbertson when he had to have his leg amputated after an auto accident during a Pens training camp out near Rostraver Ice Garden.
Bathgate
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu May 02, 2013 2:06 pm

Bathgate wrote:
NashvilleCat wrote:
TrueNorth wrote:
Digitalgypsy66 wrote:

Add to that the promising careers of Wayne Bianchin (broken neck), Roger Belanger (ruined back), Tom Edur (quit the Pens for Jehovah’s Witnesses), and Alex Stojanov (auto accident ended career). They also lost mid-career journeyman Stan Gilbertson when he had to have his leg amputated after an auto accident during a Pens training camp out near Rostraver Ice Garden.

And it's not just the players, it also affects the coaches and front office. Bob Johnson and Baz Bastein.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby penny lane on Thu May 02, 2013 2:15 pm

In 2007 I was so jealous of the senators having A Volchenkov and C Phillips; pens have them now X 2!
:D
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby GreenLantern on Thu May 02, 2013 2:25 pm

It has been interesting to watch Iginla transition from a power forward, grinding out hard in the corners and cycling the puck, to a positional sniper. Obviously he has always had the awareness of a sniper (scoring 500+ goals is proof of that), and goal scorers know where to be, but I have never seen him so relaxed out there.

He must be in heaven getting to play with players who can actually work hard for him instead of the other way around. He has started to settle into this role nicely and is thriving now, perfect timing.

Also, big mistake firing him up at the end of the game NY. I understand you are trying to set the tone for game 2, but you don't piss Iggy off in the playoffs, you just don't do it.
GreenLantern

Postby columbia on Thu May 02, 2013 2:33 pm

GreenLantern wrote:Also, big mistake firing him up at the end of the game NY. I understand you are trying to set the tone for game 2, but you don't piss Iggy off in the playoffs, you just don't do it.

Knowing this is from "our man in Calgary", it's especially great to read that.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Bathgate on Thu May 02, 2013 2:39 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
Bathgate wrote:
NashvilleCat wrote:
TrueNorth wrote:
Digitalgypsy66 wrote:It's ridiculous, isn't it? Almost absurd how much the core gets injured.

And it's not just the players, it also affects the coaches and front office. Bob Johnson and Baz Bastein.

The Pens unluckily lost Lemieux for extensive periods due to 3 separate and independent situations: 1.) Bad back requiring surgery that became terribly complicated and career threatening because of an infection; 2.) Hogkins cancer; and 3.) Heart condition after his big comback.

Just ridiculous and torturous for us fans!
Bathgate
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby NashvilleCat on Thu May 02, 2013 2:40 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
Bathgate wrote:
NashvilleCat wrote:
TrueNorth wrote:
Digitalgypsy66 wrote:It's ridiculous, isn't it? Almost absurd how much the core gets injured.

I was there when Mario Faubert broke his leg and ended his career too. Wasn't Herb Brooks a scout for us when died in a car crash? I know he'd been director of player development the year before.
NashvilleCat
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby meow on Thu May 02, 2013 2:44 pm

tfrizz wrote:I'd just like to take a moment to remind everyone that the Islanders have the advantage in goal.

Spoiler:
:lol:

Who the heck said that? Revoke their hockey card.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Sarcastic on Thu May 02, 2013 2:46 pm

I want that asswipe who purposely stuck his knee out on Jokinen suspended. He sucks as a player, but a message needs to be sent to the Isles they can't play like that.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Penspal on Thu May 02, 2013 2:47 pm

columbia wrote:
GreenLantern wrote:Also, big mistake firing him up at the end of the game NY. I understand you are trying to set the tone for game 2, but you don't piss Iggy off in the playoffs, you just don't do it.

Knowing this is from "our man in Calgary", it's especially great to read that.

My Calgary buddy/fan told me the same thing, he plays better in physical games.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby IntangibleBeer on Thu May 02, 2013 2:51 pm

Sarcastic wrote:I want that asswipe who purposely stuck his knee out on Jokinen suspended. He sucks as a player, but a message needs to be sent to the Isles they can't play like that.

I agree, but it won't happen.

Garage league. :slug:
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins