Douglas Murray

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Douglas Murray

Postby Great58 on Mon May 06, 2013 6:41 pm

Lol, he said Deryk Engelland could go stride for stride with speedy forwards.
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Tico Rick on Mon May 06, 2013 7:11 pm

Wjsan wrote:Just read an article on yahoo how Murray is a liability on defense. Let me know what you guys think. Personally, I like Crankshaft and I hope we re-sign him. It also says he is/was dating Tiger Woods' ex and fellow Swede, Elin Nordgren. Maybe she gave him his nickname. :fist:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/strongman-douglas-murray-weak-pittsburgh-penguins-blueline-201400319.html

Steve Wozniak needs to stick to making computers.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby mikey287 on Tue May 07, 2013 12:22 am

Yeah, that article is bad in that it doesn't have any backing...I mean, besides the premise just being a complete guess, it's not even supported...it's just kind of, out there...

I'm tired, so my eyes could have been playing tricks on me, but at a glance, I thought he spelled Ulf Samuelsson's name wrong too...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue May 07, 2013 8:00 am

I've seen someone else here say that Murray has been bad on defense and just hits as well. I think Murray has been real good on defense, one of few guys that don't move that well that don't get exposed constantly.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby It'sagreatdayforhockey! on Tue May 07, 2013 10:19 am

I don't feel like reading the article because the description already annoys me, but if he is saying that Murray has been bad since he got here I couldn't disagree more. He has been strong on the PK, hitting everything, putting the fear of god into everyone in the corners, fighting and has been invaluable in front of the net clearing the crease and boxing out for rebounds. He has single handedly (I may even mean that literally) saved goals that would have been put into open nets on multiple occasions.

I think its fair to say that this is not an ideal matchup for him. Especially with the way the Islanders have maintained zone time 5 on 5. But, he is still playing fine for a 3rd pairing dman and hasn't been a negative. I think he will be much more valuable than that if the pens make a run.
It'sagreatdayforhockey!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pfim on Tue May 07, 2013 11:37 am

Murray is too slow to get out of position.

I think he's been fine, had a few bizarre moments with the puck. Not sure he should be re-signed.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Tue May 07, 2013 11:38 am

pfim wrote:Murray is too slow to get out of position.

I think he's been fine, had a few bizarre moments with the puck. Not sure he should be re-signed.

2nd rounder for a 3rd pairing and PK guy... I'm not hating it for the right price.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pfim on Tue May 07, 2013 11:43 am

No hate, just don't see it as a long-term arrangement.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tfrizz on Tue May 07, 2013 11:50 am

pfim wrote:No hate, just don't see it as a long-term arrangement.

They don't necessarily need him long-term. A season or two would give the young guys a chance to develop a little more.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue May 07, 2013 12:20 pm

I wouldn't have a problem if they re-signed him for like $3.5 milllion/2
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Tue May 07, 2013 2:26 pm

Murray has been one of the bright spots on our defense, so I don't know what the writer is talking about. If I would suggest needed improvement, it would be from guys like Niskanen and Letang. I don't generally see Murray's lack of speed as a negative since he's in the right spot most of the time anyway.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby skullman80 on Tue May 07, 2013 2:27 pm

Murray may be slow, but I don't ever see him really out of position. He also seems to almost always make the simple/smart play which is nice compared to some of our other dmen.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Tue May 07, 2013 2:30 pm

The best thing about Murray, IMO, is not the positional play or the big hits. It's that he knows his limitations. He doesn't go out of the way for a big hit; he lets the play come to him. He doesn't try to play around with the puck, but rather keeps it moving by handing it off to someone else.

That, IMO, is the best part of his game. His willingness to acknowledge limitations and make the simple play instead of throwing blind backhand passes in the defensive zone.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shakes on Tue May 07, 2013 2:32 pm

The recent "In the Room" showing the arrival of all the new guys was great. DB's reaction to Murray was hilarious.

I love what he brings, and that would been sweet if that one off the post late in the 3rd had gone in for the winner.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby eddiefromirwin on Tue May 07, 2013 2:34 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I wouldn't have a problem if they re-signed him for like $3.5 milllion/2

If given a choice, would you give him $3.5/2 years, or Pascal Dupuis $3.5/2 Years?
eddiefromirwin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Stick_Flex on Tue May 07, 2013 2:42 pm

eddiefromirwin wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:I wouldn't have a problem if they re-signed him for like $3.5 milllion/2

If given a choice, would you give him $3.5/2 years, or Pascal Dupuis $3.5/2 Years?

Duper. I would have kept Lovejoy and booted engo. Lovejoy is playing very well for the ducks. He is getting a ton of minutes, paired on second unit, and being used on the power play. The only reason we kept engo instead is because he fights. Why do we want a fighter on the blue line anyway? Not trying to derail but I wanted to get the news about Lovejoy out there.
Stick_Flex
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby eddiefromirwin on Tue May 07, 2013 2:47 pm

Stick_Flex wrote:
eddiefromirwin wrote:

Duper. I would have kept Lovejoy and booted engo. Lovejoy is playing very well for the ducks. He is getting a ton of minutes, paired on second unit, and being used on the power play. The only reason we kept engo instead is because he fights. Why do we want a fighter on the blue line anyway? Not trying to derail but I wanted to get the news about Lovejoy out there.

Agreed. Not a fan of having D-men in the box for extended periods of time.
eddiefromirwin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Stick_Flex on Tue May 07, 2013 2:47 pm

I think 3.5 is a little steep for a 3rd pairing. Especially on a team that will have cap issues.
Stick_Flex
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Penspal on Tue May 07, 2013 2:53 pm

Douglas Murrays's value is at its highest when he's playing in the playoffs. There are points during the season where his speed and tenacity get his team into trouble. Some regular season games he would get called for just being strong. But its playoffs where he's worth his weight in gold. Okay, not his weight, but you get the picture.

The other side of the coin.... If the Pens let him go, how terrible would it be seeing him go to the Flyers and them unleashing him on the Pens. He can play a much dirtier style than he's shown so far.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Great58 on Tue May 07, 2013 3:39 pm

Penspal wrote: its playoffs where he's worth his weight in gold. Okay, not his weight, but you get the picture.

Whew! At 245 lbs, he would be worth approximately $5,990,232 based upon recent gold prices.
(245lbs X 16 ounces/lb X 0.911 troy ounce/ounce X $1677.41/troy ounce)
That would be a tough cap hit, unless that's spread over several (post)seasons. :P
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins