Neal skates in full gear during practice

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Neal skates in full gear during practice

Postby thepittman on Thu May 02, 2013 12:32 pm

PRACTICE INFO
The Pens are on the ice practicing. Only James Neal was absent. Paul Martin missed the early portion of practice (so he did not skate in rushes). Sidney Crosby skated with his former linesmates Chris Kunitz and Pascal Dupuis. Here were the rushes...

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Bennett-Malkin-Iginla
Morrow-Sutter-Cooke
Glass-Jokinen-Adams
Jeffrey-Vitale-Kennedy

Eaton-Letang
Murray-Niskanen
Orpik-Engelland
Despres-Bortuzzo
Last edited by thepittman on Mon May 06, 2013 4:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Neal doesn't skate

Postby thepittman on Thu May 02, 2013 1:21 pm

I hope it's just a rest day for him, glad to see sid centering the top line again.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby littlemoonboot on Thu May 02, 2013 2:15 pm

Shelly Anderson ‏@pgshelly 42m
Just saw James Neal leaving CEC. Slight limp but no other signs of any problem. No casts, etc. #Penguins

If he's not going to need any surgery then I think this is positive, all things considered and what it could have been. He may be out a little while but the Pens got this.
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby jwest21 on Thu May 02, 2013 2:18 pm

a limp? Interesting...from where I was sitting I thought it was an arm or hand. Hopefully nothing serious
jwest21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Thu May 02, 2013 2:21 pm

jwest21 wrote:a limp? Interesting...from where I was sitting I thought it was an arm or hand. Hopefully nothing serious

He rolled his ankle I thought...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby murphydump55 on Thu May 02, 2013 2:23 pm

jwest21 wrote:a limp? Interesting...from where I was sitting I thought it was an arm or hand. Hopefully nothing serious

It was pretty clear on the replays that it was his ankle. He completely turned it. TSN was showing it over and over.

I don't think it will be too bad.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Hawkeynut on Thu May 02, 2013 2:25 pm

It's the playoffs.. put on a band-aid and get yourself back out there.

I suspect we will see Neal back tomorrow night, if not, Sunday at the latest.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Thu May 02, 2013 2:26 pm

murphydump55 wrote:

It was pretty clear on the replays that it was his ankle. He completely turned it. TSN was showing it over and over.

Well if he was walking without a boot, chances are its not the dreaded high ankle sprain, but rather a conventional sprain. Worst case he's back for game 3 depending on his pain threshold?
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby TheHammer24 on Thu May 02, 2013 2:31 pm

There's a gif in one of the threads (perhaps thoughts from the morning after). He rolled his ankle hard. As he was falling backwards his right inside edge caught the ice, bending his body in the direction opposite of his body.

EDIT: Here you go

TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby jwest21 on Thu May 02, 2013 2:35 pm

TheHammer24 wrote:There's a gif in one of the threads (perhaps thoughts from the morning after). He rolled his ankle hard. As he was falling backwards his right inside edge caught the ice, bending his body in the direction opposite of his body.

EDIT: Here you go

OUCH! Thanks...much better view than what I had.
jwest21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby jwest21 on Thu May 02, 2013 2:35 pm

murphydump55 wrote:

I was at the game, so I didn't see any replays.
jwest21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Thu May 02, 2013 2:40 pm

If Neal returns from that during the playoffs, then that will be amazing. That looks sprain worthy.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby meow on Thu May 02, 2013 2:43 pm

Please don't be a high ankle sprain. Please don't be a high ankle sprain. Please don't be a high ankle sprain. Please don't be a high ankle sprain.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Admin on Thu May 02, 2013 2:45 pm

Upper body injury... because it's the Cup.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Great58 on Thu May 02, 2013 2:48 pm

meow wrote:Please don't be a high ankle sprain. Please don't be a high ankle sprain. Please don't be a high ankle sprain. Please don't be a high ankle sprain.

This.
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sarcastic on Thu May 02, 2013 2:50 pm

Thanks for the gif, Hammer. I wanted to see exactly what happened.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby RxBandit66 on Thu May 02, 2013 2:52 pm

meow wrote:Please don't be a high ankle sprain. Please don't be a high ankle sprain. Please don't be a high ankle sprain. Please don't be a high ankle sprain.

It very well could be, but it could be more of a mild sprain. He took his next shift and looked fairly stable, was able to set up for a one timer. The pain was probably too great for him to continue, and being up 4-0 at the time, why play hurt? If he was seen walking today with only a slight limp and no cast, that can only be a good sign, because the swelling likely was minimal.

As a former soccer player who has had (and seen) every type of ankle injury possible, my guess is that he returns for the next round.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pucks_and_Pols on Thu May 02, 2013 3:09 pm

RxBandit66 wrote:

It very well could be, but it could be more of a mild sprain. He took his next shift and looked fairly stable, was able to set up for a one timer. The pain was probably too great for him to continue, and being up 4-0 at the time, why play hurt? If he was seen walking today with only a slight limp and no cast, that can only be a good sign, because the swelling likely was minimal.

As a former soccer player who has had (and seen) every type of ankle injury possible, my guess is that he returns for the next round.

Insert obligatory ignorant American comment about soccer players and their lack of masculinity.
Pucks_and_Pols
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby champeen on Thu May 02, 2013 6:44 pm

neal tweeted 'playoff weather. doesn't get any better than this.' a couple hrs ago. would he have done that if his situation was of the high-ankle-sprain-no-hope-of-returning-this-season variety?
champeen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby littlemoonboot on Thu May 02, 2013 7:03 pm

champeen wrote:neal tweeted 'playoff weather. doesn't get any better than this.' a couple hrs ago. would he have done that if his situation was of the high-ankle-sprain-no-hope-of-returning-this-season variety?

Doubt it. Seems to me he's in good spirits, all things considered. Walking on his own with a slight limp as reported is a heck of a lot easier to stomach than seeing him with crutches, in a cast or needing surgery. The general feeling I've been getting is that though he may miss some time in the immediate future, he'll be okay. Fingers crossed for him.
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby thepittman on Thu May 02, 2013 9:00 pm

Pucks_and_Pols wrote:
RxBandit66 wrote:

Insert obligatory ignorant American comment about soccer players and their lack of masculinity.

Maybe if the sport didnt revolve around faking injuries no one would complain
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby redwill on Thu May 02, 2013 9:09 pm

thepittman wrote:
Pucks_and_Pols wrote:Insert obligatory ignorant American comment about soccer players and their lack of masculinity.

Maybe if the sport didnt revolve around faking injuries no one would complain

Spoiler:
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DropEmJayBird on Thu May 02, 2013 9:19 pm

I don't think you can get a high ankle sprain on the inside part of your leg or ankle, I think the high ankle sprain would come from rolling it in the other direction than neal did.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mariojr on Thu May 02, 2013 9:40 pm

I don't know about high vs. low ankle sprains, but I hope I never have anything like that (unlikely since I don't play hockey or even skate). My gut twists just watching it. I would say, though, from the sound of things, he maybe misses the rest of the series (if it only goes 4) but is OK for the next round.
mariojr
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Shakes on Thu May 02, 2013 10:43 pm

If that was a high ankle sprain, he's got some crazy pain threshold to even put any weight on it like he did. I think he even took another shift to test it. HAS are seriously painful.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins