OFFICIAL GDT: GAME 2, 5/3/13, ISLANDERS AT PENGUINS

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: OFFICIAL GDT: GAME 2, 5/3/13, ISLANDERS AT PENGUINS

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri May 03, 2013 9:20 pm

HCDB just admitted in the post game presser that the Pens have been suffering from the same issues all season (poor puck management).

If that's true, he just admitted that as a coach, he hasn't been able to address a critical issue for his team.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby sil on Fri May 03, 2013 9:21 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:I just checked the stats, and Martin had 10 more minutes than Engelland. Chalk it up to a horrifically bad tweet

Oh thank goodness.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pressure=9Pa on Fri May 03, 2013 9:21 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:I just saw Paul Martin's TOI was six seconds above Engelland............

But his time in the penalty box was noticably less.
pressure=9Pa
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby blackjack68 on Fri May 03, 2013 9:21 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:I just checked the stats, and Martin had 10 more minutes than Engelland. Chalk it up to a horrifically bad tweet

I blame you for doing the Engo thread...

:pop:
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri May 03, 2013 9:22 pm

I read the Tweet wrong, it was Murray that had only six more seconds TOI than Engelland
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Godric on Fri May 03, 2013 9:22 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:HCDB just admitted in the post game presser that the Pens have been suffering from the same issues all season (poor puck management).

If that's true, he just admitted that as a coach, he hasn't been able to address a critical issue for his team.

Step one is admitting there is a problem... :thumb:
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby tfrizz on Fri May 03, 2013 9:22 pm

Bathgate wrote:
tfrizz wrote:
Bathgate wrote:Fleury gives up another one of his comically-bad playoff goals and two overall that bounced off the backboards.

The Islanders now know they can take the series.

Unless the puck bounces differently for Vokoun, those two would likely go in on him too. It's a hazard of having lively back boards with an aggressive goalie. They only way those stay out is if you have someone like Lundqvist who plays like he's tethered to the goal line.

Every other goalie in the NHL prevents those goals.

They don't, but that's because most of them don't have to. There are no other rinks in the league, other than the Joe Louis, where the boards are lively enough for the puck to come off with that kind of velocity.

It's funny... when Vokoun gave up the goal off the glass in Washington, everyone was quick to write it off as a bad bounce even though it had almost happened to him earlier in the game. When something similar happens to Fleury, it's completely 200% his fault; it has nothing to do with bounces.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pulp22 on Fri May 03, 2013 9:22 pm

RentedMule66 wrote:You need to chill. Find a new sport to watch
[/quote]

Don't worry, if they play anymore games like this and lose the series, we all will....I'm glad you're confident after this display of hockey[/quote]

Guess what. They are going lose again chief
pulp22
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby BurghThing on Fri May 03, 2013 9:22 pm

Godric wrote:Niskanen was a dumb ass for fighting there. Thats an advantage making a good hard clean hit. You draw the instigator.

Especially after O jumped over the boards and charged straight at him. Not that those striped ass clowns would have called it correctly anyway.
BurghThing
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby rgj on Fri May 03, 2013 9:22 pm

Staggy wrote:
rgj wrote:This was my fear when Crosby came back. Sure, he scored two "cherry-picking" goals.....He was a NON-FACTOR the rest of the game

What were you expecting? For him to come back in the middle of a playoff series after missing a month and be the same exact player? I thought he played awfully well given the circumstances.

I'm NOT laying the loss on Crosby at all. I did not expect him to carry the weight of the team. He's rusty. He's been off a month recuperating. He's not the Crosby he was prior to his injury. It's going to take him several games (if he does at all this playoff season) to get his groove. In the meantime, do the Pens choose to rely on pre-injury Crosby or current still recovering Crosby? The same thing happened last season. The team put a nice streak or two together to close the season, Crosby came back for the last few games and his "rust" was evident in the one playoff series the Pens played against Philly. The rest of the team played exactly like they did tonight.

One TV announcer even said that this team looks like last years' Pens team that played Philly....not this years' 1st seed team. I wouldn't be surprised to see a huge brawl next game in NY. If that happens, NY wins, Pens choke again.
Last edited by rgj on Fri May 03, 2013 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rgj
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Eismann on Fri May 03, 2013 9:22 pm

Pens blew, and Isles played great.

Not good.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri May 03, 2013 9:23 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:I read the Tweet wrong, it was Murray that had only six more seconds TOI than Engelland

Must have been a FoxSports tweet... You know you can't trust the media. :) :) :)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby mariojr on Fri May 03, 2013 9:23 pm

Easton wrote:
mariojr wrote:I also worry that we essentially got a freebie in Game 1 due to the Isles not being ready for the playoffs, it being their first time in many years and the first in the career of many of their players. Now we're seeing the real Islanders, and they're not going to be easy to beat.
'

Oh, come on. We won Game 2 against the Senators in 2007. Did we look ready for that series? We didn't get a freebie, this isn't a game that shows the true Penguins or Islanders.

I only meant that they're going to give this kind of effort every game from here on out, and we're going to have to give the same effort and play with discipline. Then, our talent will make the difference. But if we keep playing lazy or stupid, I don't care about our talent; we're done.
mariojr
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pressure=9Pa on Fri May 03, 2013 9:23 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:HCDB just admitted in the post game presser that the Pens have been suffering from the same issues all season (poor puck management).

Not trying to pick on you individually, but if he didn't mention it someone would argue that he doesn't see the obvious problems. We are an imperfect team, much like many other professional sports teams.
pressure=9Pa
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FreeCandy44 on Fri May 03, 2013 9:24 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
FreeCandy44 wrote:I just shaved off my 10 day old beard. We got this.....

The goatee is gone? LONG LIVE THE NEW GOATEE! :)

Lol nah the goats is still there. Hides the double chin.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sniper on Fri May 03, 2013 9:24 pm

pens2005 wrote:
Rocco wrote:
pulp22 wrote:
71Aj66ax87 wrote:
pulp22 wrote:Wow. Have people on this board ever watched hockey before? F this place

Since 84,then again that seems to be far less experience compared to a lot of the people who post on this site.

The series is tied. I don't understand the panic. The playoffs are always like this

The panic is due to the ghosts of the last three seasons.

And let me add to that by asking: how can you honestly be confident this team can win this series.

If you are, it's just total ignorance.

I mean, we aren't working with a small sample size here.

I'm very confident the Pens will win this series. Tell me where the Islanders have any advantage in this series? 1st line? nope. 2nd line? nope. 3rd line? nope. 4th line? nope. top D unit? nope. second D unit? nope? 3rd D unit? nope. Depth to replace injuries? nope. power play? nope. pk? nope. Goaltending? nope.

The only way the Islanders can win this series is to outwork Pittsburgh. They did tonight. They have to 3 more times. The penguins lost exactly 3 games to playoff teams this season before tonight. I seriously don't see them losing to a team they are clearly better than simply because they want it less. If they do some how manage to do that well, it will certainly be a well deserved loss.
sniper
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Rocco on Fri May 03, 2013 9:24 pm

Why hasn't Bylsma been fired yet?
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Steve on Fri May 03, 2013 9:24 pm

Pens got what they deserved, and credit to the Islanders for working hard and sticking with it - especially since at one point, they were getting outscored in the series 8-1.

The Pens aren't losing this series however.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tfrizz on Fri May 03, 2013 9:24 pm

She'sTheFastest wrote:
sil wrote:I don't want to call anyone out or start a riot, but I just don't know how anyone can watch the pens play horrible hockey...not dump the puck, not make the sure/simple play, not take the body, not win the loose pucks...and then only come back with blaming a goalie. It's mind-boggling that level of ignorance and stubbornness regarding the sport.

Oh, and mind-numbing too...can't forget mind-numbing.

Here's the thing: After all of that it was STILL 3-3 and both teams were in it. The Pens losing is the direct result of Fleury's cowardice. He is afraid and he is not going to be able to get over it.

Afraid of what? He was out beyond the crease challenging the shooter, the shot goes way wide and bounces right toward him. He's late reacting, but he's got to try to get back in the crease in case the Isles get possession of the puck.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shmenguin on Fri May 03, 2013 9:24 pm

the overall sentiment here is that it was a bad game by everyone - and not that it was fleury's fault that we lost. if you're going to make sweeping generalizations about the board, get a feel for the room first.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Guinness on Fri May 03, 2013 9:25 pm

Rocco wrote:
Guinness wrote:Is it at all acceptable to just accept that they weren't going to go 16-0 this post season?

I'd be fine with that if the loss weren't at home after the Pens got a lead and then switched off. It's far too reminiscent of past failures and not something I'd expect to see from a team and coach that allegedly want to atone for past failures.

I guess I see enough differences between this team and the teams that biffed it the past few years to not completely lose my mind and publicly declare all is lost and virtually commit seppuku over a loss in the second game of the playoffs. The second game of the playoffs.

The second game of the playoffs.

Seriously. I wonder how some people handle the slightest bit of bad news at all.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Godric on Fri May 03, 2013 9:25 pm

tfrizz wrote:
They don't, but that's because most of them don't have to. There are no other rinks in the league, other than the Joe Louis, where the boards are lively enough for the puck to come off with that kind of velocity.

It's funny... when Vokoun gave up the goal off the glass in Washington, everyone was quick to write it off as a bad bounce even though it had almost happened to him earlier in the game. When something similar happens to Fleury, it's completely 200% his fault; it has nothing to do with bounces.

Fleury had an opportunity to knock the puck away, he attempted to cover it up. Either way its whatever but the bottom line he misplayed it
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby tfrizz on Fri May 03, 2013 9:26 pm

Godric wrote:
sil wrote:
pens#1 wrote:
sil wrote:I don't want to call anyone out or start a riot, but I just don't know how anyone can watch the pens play horrible hockey...not dump the puck, not make the sure/simple play, not take the body, not win the loose pucks...and then only come back with blaming a goalie. It's mind-boggling that level of ignorance and stubbornness regarding the sport.

Oh, and mind-numbing too...can't forget mind-numbing.

Did u see the goals that went in

Yes.

the Game winning goal was a gaffe. Fleury deserves a little heat.

Absolutely. But that doesn't mean the loss is solely on Fleury, that he played poorly, or that he's a liability for the Pens.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri May 03, 2013 9:26 pm

Good night folks, I picked a bad night to stop drinking. :)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby socket on Fri May 03, 2013 9:26 pm

:face: :thumbdown: :scared:
socket
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins