OFFICIAL GDT: GAME 2, 5/3/13, ISLANDERS AT PENGUINS

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: OFFICIAL GDT: GAME 2, 5/3/13, ISLANDERS AT PENGUINS

Postby shmenguin on Fri May 03, 2013 10:35 pm

tfrizz wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
tfrizz wrote:The shot was 6 feet wide and bounced right toward Fleury. The only thing he was guilty of was expecting the puck to bounce in one of the other 100 possible directions.

he needlessly spazzed out. there's not much else to say.

fleury did his part to contribute to the loss. just like everyone else. but he's the only guy that plays his position and he made the most visible gaffe, so he's getting heat. but it's legit heat.

So he would've been better off staying outside the crease, where he was, and hope no Islander gets to the puck before it gets to him?

his intentions were fine. the outcome of the play wasn't. it's like you're giving him a participation award at the post-game pizza party.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens_srq on Fri May 03, 2013 10:35 pm

Momentum killed us in this game. The Pens got the lead and then got lazy and lost all momentum. Then they let the Islanders storm back getting 34 shots on goal in the first two periods. The end of the 2nd - start of 3rd was a long 4 min PP that we barely got a shot on. After that it was a matter of time as we were flat having missed our opportunities. Fleury lets in the blooper goal and the Pens couldn't even get out of their zone for a large part of the 3rd.
pens_srq
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby tfrizz on Fri May 03, 2013 10:37 pm

pens_srq wrote:Seems like the Pens play well when they trust their goalie, and if he's shaky, they don't play well.

Except that they got completely outplayed almost from start to finish, and Fleury was nothing but spectacular until about mid way through the 2nd period.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby sniper on Fri May 03, 2013 10:37 pm

FreeCandy44 wrote:Bennett out Kennedy in...
Engellnd out and Orpik or Despres in...

Sound about right for game 3?

I didn't notice Bennett doing anything wrong. He seemed to get replaced after being out there for a shift where Malkin, him, and Iginla got caught in the D zone and had trouble clearing. I can't say I saw him do anything to cause them to be stuck in the D zone though. I love Iginla on the power play, but he isn't very good along the boards. He loses the puck more often than he comes off the wall with it. I think that's part of the reason Iginla struggles when he's with Malkin and I don't think he will do too well with Crosby either. He just isn't a good board player.
sniper
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Fri May 03, 2013 10:37 pm

if orpik's out, i think engo still plays.

kennedy in for bennett makes a little bit of sense. you put a responsible veteran (jokinen) on malkin's line and turn the 4th line into a strict dump and chase deal.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Fri May 03, 2013 10:38 pm

sniper wrote:

I didn't notice Bennett doing anything wrong. He seemed to get replaced after being out there for a shift where Malkin, him, and Iginla got caught in the D zone and had trouble clearing. I can't say I saw him do anything to cause them to be stuck in the D zone though. I love Iginla on the power play, but he isn't very good along the boards. He loses the puck more often than he comes off the wall with it. I think that's part of the reason Iginla struggles when he's with Malkin and I don't think he will do too well with Crosby either. He just isn't a good board player.

i don't think bennett necessarily deserves a scratch, but it's obvious the coaches didn't trust him to get minutes in an important, close game.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Godric on Fri May 03, 2013 10:39 pm

sniper wrote:

He is actually a pretty awesome player along the boards on the right side. When he is playing Natural position. RIGHT WING.
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby tfrizz on Fri May 03, 2013 10:39 pm

BurghThing wrote:
tfrizz wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
tfrizz wrote:The shot was 6 feet wide and bounced right toward Fleury. The only thing he was guilty of was expecting the puck to bounce in one of the other 100 possible directions.

fleury did his part to contribute to the loss. just like everyone else. but he's the only guy that plays his position and he made the most visible gaffe, so he's getting heat. but it's legit heat.

So he would've been better off staying outside the crease, where he was, and hope no Islander gets to the puck before it gets to him?

Or you know, he could cover it, like most ECHL goalies

That's what he was trying to do, but he had to scramble back to get in position and misplayed the puck.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby BuckintheLou on Fri May 03, 2013 10:40 pm

Hard to type after puking for the last 10 minutes. Eyes still watering from it.
- Is DB not capable of putting a boot in somebody's a**? Timeout in the first (I think) for what? Need the camera on himself for a minute or two?
Look, he's generally outcoached no matter the opponent. But hey, regardless, the dudes wearing skates have to want it. Can't fault the coach for a 'lack of effort' on the ice (with the exception of the 'boot in the a**' part).

-Gotta play 60 minutes, not 8 or 10. Don't mind the boys dropping one but they have to (as a minimun) show up.

-Veterans throughout the lineup (Iggy, Morrow, Martin, Duper, etc.). Can't one of them (don't necessarily have to be the guy with the "C" on his chest-although it should be) look the others in the eye and tell them "The Islanders don't give two ****s that you're the Pittsburgh Penguins"!? They're not gonna lay down for ya! You will not/cannot 'coast' through any game.

-MAF-What? I know he didn't have much support in front of him tonight but Bylsma could've stopped at least two of those! Eerily similar to playoff perfomances of the past.
Seems everybody's waiting for someone else to carry them through the game. Can't happen. Ain't gonna happen.

-We can talk about who should siit, who should skate, and who should be in net til we're blue in the face. Doesn't matter as long as the ones lacing 'em up commit to the game.

So here I sit. Wondering how this roster could allow such a sorry, pitiful performance out of themselves. They have to police and discipline themselves because I seriouly doubt they're getting any from the staff.
BuckintheLou
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Eismann on Fri May 03, 2013 10:40 pm

Iggy was putrid. Along with several other players; but he was actually bad. Morrow was merely a non-factor.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pens#1 on Fri May 03, 2013 10:42 pm

This games was the last 3 years in a nutshell- a coach with more talent on the ice got out coached, and the goalie gave a bad goal time and time again on random shots
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Godric on Fri May 03, 2013 10:42 pm

Guess we'll see on sunday.

ps

I still blame Pghskins more than Fleury.
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby PghSkins on Fri May 03, 2013 10:43 pm

Godric wrote:Guess we'll see on sunday.

ps

I still blame Pghskins more than Fleury.

So I guess you're taking Game 3? Oh that's right you were too scared to take GDTs in the regular season and you're not on the playoff roster. :pop:
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tfrizz on Fri May 03, 2013 10:44 pm

shmenguin wrote:
tfrizz wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

his intentions were fine. the outcome of the play wasn't. it's like you're giving him a participation award at the post-game pizza party.

Not at all, I'm just giving him credit because it was a game the Pens had no business being in to begin with. It really doesn't matter how the goals went in, the Islanders completely dominated the Pens and they deserved the win.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Cagsjr724 on Fri May 03, 2013 10:45 pm

Holy crap people calm down! Not all but most of you need to settle down its ONE game. Its the Stanley Cup playoffs the Pens are not going to win every game. Yes it was a bad game played for the pens but get over it. The Islanders came out guns a blazing and deserved this win. This team has too much veteran leadership to let this series slip. 2009 pens were down 2-0 to the Caps and Wings and won the Stanley Cup. Its one game. LETS GO PENS!!
Cagsjr724
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Bathgate on Fri May 03, 2013 10:46 pm

Joe Starkey reported that Fleury furiously threw off his equipment after the game and disappeared. Malkin also hid from reporters after the game.
Bathgate
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby PensFanInDC on Fri May 03, 2013 10:46 pm

3 lucky fluke goals for the isles. Its a part of hockey. It won't hapopen again.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tfrizz on Fri May 03, 2013 10:47 pm

Godric wrote:Guess we'll see on sunday.

Yup. And I think going with Vokoun on Sunday would be a knee-jerk decision that's more likely to backfire than help the team. Go right back with Fleury and if he turns in a poor performance, then you go with Vokoun on Tuesday.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby columbia on Fri May 03, 2013 10:47 pm

There's not enough panic and finger pointing going on.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Eismann on Fri May 03, 2013 10:47 pm

Bathgate wrote:Joe Starkey reported that Fleury furiously threw off his equipment after the game and disappeared. Malkin also hid from reporters after the game.

...but the reporters easily found Geno by following a fairly obvious and long trail of ******* drop passes.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby sniper on Fri May 03, 2013 10:48 pm

Godric wrote:
sniper wrote:

He is actually a pretty awesome player along the boards on the right side. When he is playing Natural position. RIGHT WING.

That's where he played tonight. I haven't seen him do much of anything along the boards but lose the puck since he's got here to be honest. He's got a great shot, but doesn't seem to do much else to me. Jokinen and Dupuis have played better than him. After that shift, where Bennett got benched I would have moved Iginla down and put Jokinen and Bennett with Malkin. Iginla is just too slow and loses the puck along the wall far too frequently. I was hoping he was just saving some energy for the post season during the regular season, but I'm still not impressed with him. That said he does have 4 assists. I give him credit for producing, but he has to at least start winning puck battles along the walls far more frequently.
sniper
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitts on Fri May 03, 2013 10:48 pm

Guinness wrote:I guess I see enough differences between this team and the teams that biffed it the past few years to not completely lose my mind and publicly declare all is lost and virtually commit seppuku over a loss in the second game of the playoffs. The second game of the playoffs.

The second game of the playoffs.

Seriously. I wonder how some people handle the slightest bit of bad news at all.

:thumb: :thumb: Two thumbs up, with a **SNAP**
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Fri May 03, 2013 10:48 pm

columbia wrote:There's not enough panic and finger pointing going on.

zero new threads were created after this loss. i'm calling that a win for LGP.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby farnham16 on Fri May 03, 2013 10:49 pm

You should NEVER lose a playoff game at home when you have a 2-0 lead. When you get a 2-0 lead in the playoffs, it should be lockdown city. When you consider the talent level of these two teams, it makes it even worse.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Eismann on Fri May 03, 2013 10:49 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:3 lucky fluke goals for the isles. Its a part of hockey. It won't hapopen again.

I hope not. But what I'm really wary of is on Sunday the Isles start potting good goals resulting from the strong play they've been using to kick the Pens' butts for the most part. That would mean that they don't need luck to take the series.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins