OFFICIAL GDT: GAME 2, 5/3/13, ISLANDERS AT PENGUINS

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: OFFICIAL GDT: GAME 2, 5/3/13, ISLANDERS AT PENGUINS

Postby farnham16 on Sat May 04, 2013 12:01 am

pulp22 wrote:
farnham16 wrote:Game 3 is so huge. I think whoever wins it takes the series. The Pens are unfortunately that fragile right now considering recent playoff performance.

Right, because at 2-1 series lead is the end

This team is a fragile playoff team right now IMO. When you consider the recent playoff performances they are feeling a ton of pressure right now and you can see tonight they got frustrated easily and were fighting it. I think once they can get that playoff series win a big monkey could be off their back.

Game 3 is everything IMO. This team needs it.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pulp22 on Sat May 04, 2013 12:01 am

shafnutz05 wrote:
pulp22 wrote:
farnham16 wrote:Game 3 is so huge. I think whoever wins it takes the series. The Pens are unfortunately that fragile right now considering recent playoff performance.

With our recent playoff performances, I'm afraid you are undervaluing Game 3.

Because every year is different. Even if the pens win game 3 it won't mean anything really.
pulp22
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby RxBandit66 on Sat May 04, 2013 12:02 am

shafnutz05 wrote:
pulp22 wrote:

With our recent playoff performances, I'm afraid you are undervaluing Game 3.

Given their failures at CEC in the playoffs, game 3 on Long Island is huge. If the Pens trail in this series at all, it's cause for concern. The gap in these rosters in terms of depth, skill, and playoff experience is so incredibly great, this should have been a clean sweep.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby RxBandit66 on Sat May 04, 2013 12:05 am

Oh, and hurry back Brooks Orpik. If I never see Engelland wearing a Pens jersey again I won't be upset in the least.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mig991 on Sat May 04, 2013 12:12 am

Statistically the game FOUR winner (in all sports) is most likely to win the series.
mig991

Postby pulp22 on Sat May 04, 2013 12:13 am

I can't negotiate any longer. The beauty of hockey in the playoffs is the unpredictability. It was never going to be a sweep. You wanna be experts on here spew your garbage after every loss, but the people on here that actually understand the game stay out of this crap. This place sucks all the fun out of this game.
pulp22
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby shafnutz05 on Sat May 04, 2013 12:16 am

pulp22 wrote:I can't negotiate any longer. The beauty of hockey in the playoffs is the unpredictability. It was never going to be a sweep. You wanna be experts on here spew your garbage after every loss, but the people on here that actually understand the game stay out of this crap. This place sucks all the fun out of this game.

I agree. The beauty of the playoffs is that bad performances don't mean anything. If you understand the game, you know that a blown playoff victory, even in the specter of poor playoff performances, mean absolutely nothing. Let's look at all of these games in a vacuum, and assume trends mean nothing :thumb:
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby nocera on Sat May 04, 2013 12:18 am

shafnutz05 wrote:
pulp22 wrote:I can't negotiate any longer. The beauty of hockey in the playoffs is the unpredictability. It was never going to be a sweep. You wanna be experts on here spew your garbage after every loss, but the people on here that actually understand the game stay out of this crap. This place sucks all the fun out of this game.

I agree. The beauty of the playoffs is that bad performances don't mean anything. If you understand the game, you know that a blown playoff victory, even in the specter of poor playoff performances, mean absolutely nothing. Let's look at all of these games in a vacuum, and assume trends mean nothing :thumb:

Such as game 5 in Detroit, being down 2-0 in a series twice and coming back. Ups and downs,
people.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Sat May 04, 2013 12:18 am

Dickie Dunn wrote:Malkin and Iginla don't work well together. Their styles just don't mesh.

With that being said, god was Malkin awful.

Malkin seems to like Kunitz (and Neal, obviously). I don't understand why Bylsma refuses to go back to that and let Iginla play with Crosby -- that's why he chose Pittsburgh for crying out loud!
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bh on Sat May 04, 2013 12:18 am

These games are so weird. I feel like everything the Pens do is so animated. They've moving at like a million miles an hour and not getting anywhere. CALM DOWN! I know they like to play fast but they need to slow down and think a little. Too many forced passes and too many turnovers.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Metalmike on Sat May 04, 2013 12:19 am

The Islanders goals were fluke. fluke!! 2 of them off the boards and in? it could have happened to any goaltender and sadly it was MAF. It wont happen again this series. Fleury will win the next 2 games for the Pens as the rest will of the team will turn this terrible game around.
Sunday afternoon, we're gonna bleed, we're gonna sweat, all for the greatest prize in sports the Stanley Cup!

Metal Mike, Canada's #1 Penguins Fan.
Metalmike
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Why Not Us on Sat May 04, 2013 12:27 am

Remember when the inexperienced Penguins split in Ottawa with a 4-3 Game 2 victory in 2007?

Then lost the next 3.

/Pointless comparison between 07 Pens & 13 Isles (but might make ya feel better anyway)
Why Not Us
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby thepittman on Sat May 04, 2013 12:31 am

Meh, see you next time. Oh if you are comparing this to any of the previous failures you already went off the deep end. This team is a monster and a loss like this will not be good for the Isles.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby SoCalPenguin on Sat May 04, 2013 12:36 am

I'll wait to see if this is a trend before declaring its 2012 again. We've played well defensively for huge stretches this year, so I'm going to pass on declaring a .750 team overrated. We sucked the big one for sure...we will see if they can adjust. I'm confident we will.

Looking forward to getting Neal back maybe so we can play Iggy with Sid.
SoCalPenguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Easton on Sat May 04, 2013 12:46 am

I agree that we should dispose of the Islanders with relative ease, but I disagree with anyone who says this should have been a clean sweep. Sweeps happen, to be sure, but to say a team *should* sweep another team? I could buy it in the regular season, but not the playoffs. Sweeping a team is a damn difficult thing to do, and it doesn't prove anything.
Easton
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby SolidSnake on Sat May 04, 2013 12:53 am

I would also like to see Strait and Okposo put into their place on sunday
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby offsides on Sat May 04, 2013 12:58 am

SolidSnake wrote:I would also like to see Strait and Okposo put into their place on sunday

I'd rather have them win a hockey game, that would be the best way to put all the Islanders in their place. Trying to put some flyers in their place didn't work out well last year.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby SolidSnake on Sat May 04, 2013 1:00 am

offsides wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:I would also like to see Strait and Okposo put into their place on sunday

I'd rather have them win a hockey game, that would be the best way to put all the Islanders in their place. Trying to put some flyers in their place didn't work out well last year.

I'm not saying start a riot but letting them know they won't be pulling that same stuff again
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Easton on Sat May 04, 2013 1:06 am

Why do fans continue to compare this (or any) Penguins' team to past teams?

I mean, I understand somewhat. The Montreal, Tampa and Philly series were all disappointing. But you certainly lose a hell of a lot more series than you win. The Tampa series saw the Penguins without Crosby and Malkin, so I'm going to give somewhat of a pass on that... although they WERE up 3-1. The Montreal series was just blah, but it went 7 games and we didn't look completely outclassed. That's just the way the playoffs happen sometimes. The Flyers series was utter disaster, and there's no excuse for that.

But why does this Penguins team have to resemble the '10, '11, '12 teams just because they lost and had a poor showing? Didn't the '08 and '09 teams have a poor showing? Didn't the '07 team steal one from Ottawa on their home ice?

I understand that the '12 Flyer's series has been the most recent, but it feels like a cheap, lazy way to describe the current team's effort. They don't put forth the effort of Game 1 and it's automatically "Shades of the Flyer's series." This happens to EVERY team in the playoffs and, more often that not, in every round.

Maybe I just have a mismatch approach to the playoffs. While I'd like to think a team as stacked as the Penguins could manhandle a team like the Islanders, the playoffs happen to be an outrageous roller coaster where someone like Tanner Glass scores a goal in the first game, great teams go down 2-0, series that shouldn't be close get forced to 7 games and things turn into all sorts of crazy.

Comparisons don't much make sense this early in. That said, I hope Neal gets back in so Iggy can go with Sid, because damnit, it's something I've wanted that for far too long.
Easton
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby blackjack68 on Sat May 04, 2013 1:06 am

But the refs don't call it so they will get away with it again and get us off our game.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby booboo on Sat May 04, 2013 1:11 am

Durbano wrote:One of the reasons the Pens signed Vokoun is for moments like this. Start him on Sunday.

No doubt tonight was a team loss but the own-goal was a killer.

TWO own goals

If we stop scoring own goals we should be just fine
booboo
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby knives of ice on Sat May 04, 2013 1:13 am

suprisingly, when the sharks scored their empty net goal tonight i don't believe they put out any players who the coach decided to sit for pretty much 2 full periods. wow, i figured this was a universally recognized great coaching strategy.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby booboo on Sat May 04, 2013 1:15 am

Easton wrote:The Montreal, Tampa and Philly series were all disappointing. But you certainly lose a hell of a lot more series than you win. The Tampa series saw the Penguins without Crosby and Malkin, so I'm going to give somewhat of a pass on that... although they WERE up 3-1. The Montreal series was just blah, but it went 7 games and we didn't look completely outclassed. That's just the way the playoffs happen sometimes. The Flyers series was utter disaster, and there's no excuse for that.

The way you put it, it shows a declining trend. I surely hope it does not continue. Because now we are loaded up with additional big names on the roster and are facing the theoretically the lousiest possible playoff opponent...
booboo
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby booboo on Sat May 04, 2013 1:17 am

thepittman wrote:Meh, see you next time. Oh if you are comparing this to any of the previous failures you already went off the deep end. This team is a monster and a loss like this will not be good for the Isles.

Yup!
booboo
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby booboo on Sat May 04, 2013 1:31 am

RxBandit66 wrote:My only comment on this game was that it was strangely similar to last year's fiasco against Philly. Go up early 2-0 or 3-1, then take dumb penalties, proceed to let the opponent tie the score, and eventually blow the lead while the offense completely vanishes. One would think that when your team captain comes back from a broken jaw and scores two quick goals that the team would be fired up after a performance like that. But they turtled and wasted an incredible effort by Sidney Crosby.

I was disturbed by Granato's interview when the score was 3-3 right after they blew the lead. He was all smiles, calmly stating that the Pens need to get to their game. The coaches should have been furious, especially after the team allowed 20 shots in the first period.

No adjustments were made by the coach who had the last change. Bylsma is now 6-10 in the post season at CEC. All ten losses were against inferior teams, and mirrored tonight's loss. His coaching style is simply not intense enough for the playoffs.

Hard to disagree with all that.

But, I would wait till Sunday for supporting evidence.

Still, I do not like the least bit the HCDBs complacency when facing challenges.
booboo
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins