Bad habits are hard to break

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Bad habits are hard to break

Postby Scott on Sat May 04, 2013 1:28 am

First let me say I'm not pushing the panic button. I was about 60/40 this might be a sweep after game one. A loss tonight obviously isn't ideal but many more games to come.

Having said all that I'm not worried but I'm angry. I'm angry because is this 2012 all over again? Seriously. Another game where we jump out to a quick lead. 2-0 and all the seats haven't filled up yet. Then 2-1. Then 3-1. Now the ugly part.

Are we going to relax again and stop fighting for every inch of ice like the ugliness of the 2012 playoffs. We going to stop taking the play to them and let them come to us. Why? Are they supposed to give up? Are we suppose to win so we can just dial it back a little? The final two periods the ice was so lopsided it was a disgrace. It was like a total mirror of Game 1 but in reverse. Those final two periods also looked like 2012 Philly series again.

I know this sounds crazy but right now I really believe the Pens are a better and stronger team if the game is close for all 60 mins. I really believe they have a better chance of winning should the game remain tight for all three periods. Also right now I have zero confidence in the coaching staff if the Pens jump out to a lightning fast multiple goal lead one of two things happen. Either they keep scoring and run the goalie or they lose the lead and look silly. There is no in between. There is no tightening up. It is either keep scoring and win by five goals or get that quick lead, relax and dial it back, then get steam rolled.

Anyone see Ray Shero nearing the end of the game? You know he is thinking the same thing. Why can't this team finish the game when they jump to a huge early lead. Yes I know that game 1 they had a big lead but they also kept scoring and didn't get a few of the bounces but they got all of the bounces. Tonight the bounces were more even and we have a different result.

A few key notes about the game tonight. It is impossible for the Islanders to play with the same intensity night in and night out. They sold out on every rush, hit, pass and shot. They are humans and can't sustain that kind of play over and over. Much like the Pens can't keep the same intensity they display after the first ten minutes of recent playoff games.

The coaching staff did a piss poor job of adjusting to the onslaught during the second intermission. I really felt the Pens would regroup and have a great third period. No it was more of the second period. All Islanders.

Chris Kunitz? When he is off he is REALLY off.

Paul Martin? Say what you want but he is stealing some money from the Pens. What are some things he does that are exceptional? Nothing to zero. He isn't a horrible player but he is paid way too much for what he brings to the table. He doesn't hurt the team much but how much is he helping in Bylsma hockey? Mark Eaton should go to headquarters and say Mario, see how much Paul is making. See how much I am making. See what each of us brings to the team? Thank you for my raise.

Another note about Martin that just glared tonight was he looked like he was still playing the Jersey Trap. He is so slow making a decision. Zero urgency in Martin's game. The next quick decision he makes will be the first one.

Iginla? I like the musical lines Bylsma plays at times but Iginla should be playing with Crosby. They work very well together. It is a chemistry that isn't getting stronger because they aren't being paired together enough. If he doesn't want to hurt Kunitz feelings too bad. He is a big boy and can handle it. Right now Kunitz would be the first one to admit he is not sharp. Maybe this will change once they get some time opportunity with Crosby finally back.

I would like to see Jokinen play center for Malkin a bit more than one shift. That could be a lethal combo and taking the draw Jokinen is so much better.

Please sit Engelland. Despres or Bortuzzo may make the same mistakes but will get some valuable playoff experience.

Morrow REALLY wants to win his first Cup and it really shows.

Islanders have team speed and can be problematic. Some bounces go their way and who knows what this series may look like. They have nothing to lose here. Nobody has given them a chance. They are going to let it all hang out. If they get some confidence...I don't even want to think about that.

I think Fleury plays game three. Vokoun plays game four.

Shero is going to send Bylsma an email that says Iginla didn't come here to watch Kunitz and Dupuis get exclusive time with Crosby. Malkin and Iginla are not on the same page. Get Iginla with Crosby please. Oh and get James Neal healthy which would help this decision.

Dupuis is a gamer. He brings 110 percent every shift.

I would like to see a Kunitz Sutter Morrow experiment for more than a couple of shifts. Atleast one game.

See ya Sunday 8-)
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Bad habits are hard to break

Postby SteelCityFan on Sat May 04, 2013 4:01 am

Please sit Engelland. Despres or Bortuzzo may make the same mistakes but will get some valuable playoff experience

I honestly cant understand the logic behind starting Engelland ahead of Despres. I keep hearing that the coaching staff had problems with certain parts of Despres' game. Really? How's the kid ever going to get better if you don't give him a chance to play and learn from his mistakes? Obviously you don't want Despres making horrible gaffs in the playoffs that single handedly cost his team the game. But when during the regular season were his mistakes so bad that he put his team at such a disadvantage that he cost the Pens the game? For me, this goes backs to what I feel was a mistake on the part of the coaching staff to sit Despres the last several weeks of the season. In my opinion, there's no way you can justify letting Despres eat tasty nachos in the press box while a guy like Engelland or Bortuzzo were out on the ice. Despres brings so much more to the table than either of those guys. I simply can't understand why the coaching staff refuses to give the kid a chance. He's showed so much promise this season. /endrant #beatembucs
SteelCityFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Fire0nice228 on Sat May 04, 2013 6:02 am

That game was a disgrace. Obviously when its 2-0 theres "alotta hockey left" even at 3-1 but I mean, did any of you see that quick lead or at the end of the first period feel totally great about the game? The Pens got hammered in the first period, it just wasn't reflected on the scoreboard. MAF had to make some key saves in game 1 and early in game 2. Without MAF this game is so lopsided, but I'm sure he's going to catch heat around these parts.

Pens look like they rather bang their head off a wall then make adjustments. Long passes that either A) get picked off through the neutral zone, or B) the chip and chase crap that the Isles retrieved and exited the zone with relative ease. I dont understand why the Pens didnt make any adjustments. The most troubling thing is in the press conference after HCDB said something along the lines of 'we didn't get to our game enough' with regards to zone time and cycle. Well, the penguins couldnt exit zone or do anything clean last night. Keep banging head off wall and see if anything changes for game 3.

They got dominated by a team that wanted it more and game planned accordingly. Capuano made it clear in the pre game media comments that the gameplan was to throw everything at Fleury and crash the net. Pittsburgh let them do it all night long. You can say a couple of those goals were cheap or flukey but they dont ask how just how many. Its disgraceful.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DropEmJayBird on Sat May 04, 2013 6:06 am

I'm not going to delve into individual performances because I think it was a matter of the Islanders really needing to win this game, and the penguins just expecting to win by showing up. MAF kept the penguins in it, but the book on the penguins is to throw the puck at the net from every angle, and hope for a bad bounce or a defenseman to score on his own goalie.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Beveridge on Sat May 04, 2013 6:44 am

Scott wrote:Iginla? I like the musical lines Bylsma plays at times but Iginla should be playing with Crosby. They work very well together. It is a chemistry that isn't getting stronger because they aren't being paired together enough.

I want to know where this group think comes from? Crosby broke his jaw less than 90 seconds into Iggy's first game with the Pens and just came back last night. Other than the setup for the OT goal in the Olympics, I don't remember them playing on the same line at all. Wasn't Sid with Bergeron and Nash most of those games?
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby tfrizz on Sat May 04, 2013 6:46 am

DropEmJayBird wrote:I'm not going to delve into individual performances because I think it was a matter of the Islanders really needing to win this game, and the penguins just expecting to win by showing up. MAF kept the penguins in it, but the book on the penguins is to throw the puck at the net from every angle, and hope for a bad bounce or a defenseman to score on his own goalie.

It's not so much looking for a bounce; teams throw it on net against the Penguins because they play soft around the net.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Pavel Bure on Sat May 04, 2013 6:50 am

*walks into thread* Bad effort blowing leads. *ok I'm on board* devolves into Martin is stealing a paycheck *what is going on here* further devolves into Despres should be playing *is this bizzaro world, backs out of thread because no good can come of this*
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Fire0nice228 on Sat May 04, 2013 7:10 am

Pavel Bure wrote:*walks into thread* Bad effort blowing leads. *ok I'm on board* devolves into Martin is stealing a paycheck *what is going on here* further devolves into Despres should be playing *is this bizzaro world, backs out of thread because no good can come of this*

*goes to create his own stupid thread about the loss*
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DocEmrick on Sat May 04, 2013 7:21 am

:scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FreeCandy44 on Sat May 04, 2013 7:39 am

This is all Sidney's fault!! Doesn't he know that the team plays better when he is out?
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MarioLives on Sat May 04, 2013 7:42 am

Don't you know it is cool to either panic or make fun of other posters? Join or move on
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KG on Sat May 04, 2013 7:45 am

This team is still not "playoff ready." They are playing an inferior opponent. If the Pens play with work ethic and intensity they will beat them easily.

Playoffs are a grind, when you have an opportunity to take control of a series, you have to do it. Look at what the Blackhawks are doing to the Wild. A great team beating up a mediocre team.

Pens should be doing the same. Hopefully this woke them up and they will come out and take care of business tomorrow afternoon.
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pitts on Sat May 04, 2013 8:57 am

Scott wrote:Anyone see Ray Shero nearing the end of the game?

He seriously looked like he was ready to walk in the locker room and rip the a new one. He did 't trade like madman last month to have his team look like they did last night.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby farnham16 on Sat May 04, 2013 10:26 am

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the Pens are a fragile playoff team right now because of recent playoff failures.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Kovy27 on Sat May 04, 2013 10:29 am

farnham16 wrote:I've said it before and I'll say it again, the Pens are a fragile playoff team right now because of recent playoff failures.

I agree with this. I also think the Pens beat themselves. They stopped being physical and defensively they took a collective crap in their pants. I look for them to turn it on tomorrow....if not, oy vey.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby farnham16 on Sat May 04, 2013 10:36 am

Kovy27 wrote:
farnham16 wrote:I've said it before and I'll say it again, the Pens are a fragile playoff team right now because of recent playoff failures.

I agree with this. I also think the Pens beat themselves. They stopped being physical and defensively they took a collective crap in their pants. I look for them to turn it on tomorrow....if not, oy vey.

Yeah pretty much. Now I think if the Pens can just win a series then a big monkey will be off their back and they'll be fine, but this group just looked really uneasy last night.

Game 3 is huge. I think whoever takes it wins the series.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Malkamaniac on Sat May 04, 2013 10:39 am

I just want to know why the Islanders went from either being unhittable, or the Pens thinking that they hit them enough in the first that they'd automatically win the second. This would be the second time now Crosby's come back from an injury and the team just stops doing what they've done to be successful.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby murphydump55 on Sat May 04, 2013 10:53 am

Beveridge wrote:
Scott wrote:Iginla? I like the musical lines Bylsma plays at times but Iginla should be playing with Crosby. They work very well together. It is a chemistry that isn't getting stronger because they aren't being paired together enough.

I want to know where this group think comes from? Crosby broke his jaw less than 90 seconds into Iggy's first game with the Pens and just came back last night. Other than the setup for the OT goal in the Olympics, I don't remember them playing on the same line at all. Wasn't Sid with Bergeron and Nash most of those games?

They put Crosby with Iginla and removed one of Nash or Bergeron...I think it was Nash? Crosby assisted on just about every one of Iginla's goals and they started to really pick it up near the end.

They can plan together, Malkin can't play with Iginla and has proven it. Once again, Bylsma will make this more difficult than it has to be.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby SteelCityFan on Sat May 04, 2013 11:22 am

Pavel Bure wrote:*walks into thread* Bad effort blowing leads. *ok I'm on board* devolves into Martin is stealing a paycheck *what is going on here* further devolves into Despres should be playing *is this bizzaro world, backs out of thread because no good can come of this*

Riiiigggghhhttttt. Because there is no way Despres could have had as "good" a game as Engelland had. Just curious, did you get a chance to watch the game?
SteelCityFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins