'13 Playoffs Game 2 vs NYI - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

'13 Playoffs Game 2 vs NYI - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Sat May 04, 2013 9:30 am

Pens lose 4-3

- Credit the Isles, they really raised their game, but the Pens got away from their game setting up the loss
- Nisky's fight with Okposo was a turning point. No way that fight should have occurred
- Crosby got two but did not play a typical Crosby game. Wisely tentative, he'll get better
- stupid penalties are one of the few weaknesses of this team. Iggy could have delivered the message without a penalty
- I predicted a 4-1 Pens series win, thinking a game like this would occur. No need to :scared:
- A couple of lucky goals were the difference, Pens do need to tighten D zone coverage
- Pregame on TSN feed, MAF gave Engy a shot to the chin with blocker, surprise look on Engy's face was priceless
- Nabakov played a decent game, maybe another laser needed from Iggy ;)
- Ice seemed pretty crappy, players falling and the puck bouncing
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: '13 Playoffs Game 2 vs NYI - Thoughts from the Morning A

Postby IntangibleBeer on Sat May 04, 2013 9:36 am

Random thoughts:
- Penguins have GOT to stop playing down to their opponents level. I know Crosby scored two goals, but he was understandably tentative. I almost wanted Jokinen centering the 1st line and Crosby back in his role as "the world's best 3rd line center".
-Tyler Kennedy may have some value here against a team like the Islanders - aggressive forecheck.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Sat May 04, 2013 9:39 am

- The Islanders do have a pulse; kudos for them for not laying down, especially after giving up two quick goals (again).
- Sometimes, it's like a flu runs through the Penguins locker room and they ALL decide to stop playing in the same game. Very frustrating.
- MAF looked very sharp...until he didn't. :wink:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Bioshock on Sat May 04, 2013 9:42 am

-Pens are screwed
-Isles in 5
-meow
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby PaLionking on Sat May 04, 2013 9:46 am

Looks like they got the 2 quick goals & then went up 3-1 figured they could coast the rest of the game forgetting that there's still 45 minutes left to play. Give the Isles credit they kept their foot on the gas the whole game & didn't fall over because of who they were playing
PaLionking
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pens_CT on Sat May 04, 2013 9:52 am

PaLionking wrote:Looks like they got the 2 quick goals & then went up 3-1 figured they could coast the rest of the game forgetting that there's still 45 minutes left to play. Give the Isles credit they kept their foot on the gas the whole game & didn't fall over because of who they were playing

Even though they got two quick goals, the Pens defensive coverage was bad from the drop of the puck. Isles kept shooting until they got a couple of lucky bounces and scored on those chances. The Pens need to think defense first, something that eludes this team when both 87 and 71 are in the lineup. Give up on the fancy moves, get the puck in the offensive zone and grind away.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Tico Rick on Sat May 04, 2013 9:59 am

- Dress Despres instead of Engo next game.
- Play Vokoun next game, Fleury in Game 4 - Fleury will play lights out if DB does this.
- Geno must stop making bonehead passes to no one or to opposing players.
- DB has to find a way to get Jokinen more ice time, and not on the fourth line.

Pens will be fine.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby malksby8771 on Sat May 04, 2013 10:02 am

So apparently it's now acceptable to point out that fleury let in a few soft goals? Because I was unanimously eviscerated for doing so last night. Will there be any negative comments on puck daddy for the title of the front page for blaming the loss on fleury's "gaffes?" http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck- ... 02283.html
malksby8771
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Sat May 04, 2013 10:03 am

Any theories on why BB disappeared in the 3rd? I didn't notice that he was playing any worse than the rest of them (which bordered on craptastic at times)?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Tico Rick on Sat May 04, 2013 10:04 am

Bylsma hates rookies?
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Pitts on Sat May 04, 2013 10:05 am

The Penguins proved last night that when they play a fast, aggressive, very physical game, they win. When they don't, they lose.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Sat May 04, 2013 10:06 am

Pitts wrote:The Penguins proved last night that when they play a fast, aggressive, very physical game, they win. When they don't, they lose.

Pipe down, junior. :lol:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat May 04, 2013 10:06 am

Meh. It's a five game series now with the Isles having home ice advantage.

Too many veterans on this Pens team to start to panic.

All we've losted so far is the ability to sweep the Isles.

Meh.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat May 04, 2013 10:08 am

columbia wrote:Any theories on why BB disappeared in the 3rd? I didn't notice that he was playing any worse than the rest of them (which bordered on craptastic at times)?

I just think Bylsma was shortening the bench, the fact that BB was out there when MAF was pulled (at the end) tells me that HCDB wasn't sending BB a message or anything (or so it appears to me anyway)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby topshelf66 on Sat May 04, 2013 10:13 am

Pens now 13-15 in playoffs since cup win. After every loss it seems one of the players has a quote like Niskanen's last night. It goes something like this. We stopped playing the way you need to play to win playoff games.

One time I would love the reporter to ask the follow up, if you all know what winning playoff hockey is, why do you stop playing that way.

The team gets those early goals and becomes like crack addicts. Boy this is great, I want to score more. Sure abandoning our winning style could result in giving up everything we have worked for, but damn scoring all these goals feels so good. Here's another no look drop pass at the blue line.
topshelf66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby IMFC on Sat May 04, 2013 10:27 am

Agree - the early "easy" goals seems to change the mentality.

My only real thought is: I wish they were playing today so I can get this horrible feeling out of my head.
IMFC
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Gaucho on Sat May 04, 2013 10:28 am

IMFC wrote:
My only real thought is: I wish they were playing today so I can get this horrible feeling out of my head.

Yeah, just a few minutes ago I thought how glad I am tomorrow is a matinee game. I normally hate those.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pens15 on Sat May 04, 2013 10:35 am

topshelf66 wrote:Pens now 13-15 in playoffs since cup win. After every loss it seems one of the players has a quote like Niskanen's last night. It goes something like this. We stopped playing the way you need to play to win playoff games.

One time I would love the reporter to ask the follow up, if you all know what winning playoff hockey is, why do you stop playing that way.

The team gets those early goals and becomes like crack addicts. Boy this is great, I want to score more. Sure abandoning our winning style could result in giving up everything we have worked for, but damn scoring all these goals feels so good. Here's another no look drop pass at the blue line.

Here here. If the Isles were able to do that last night, I shudder to imagine what it's going to look like against better, deeper offensive teams in the later rounds should we get there. Think Philly last year. Yikes.
Pens15
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Beveridge on Sat May 04, 2013 10:46 am

I saw an Islanders team that wanted it more. They got that first goal after a dumb penalty by Engo and it got them to realize that they are also an NHL team and can compete. We make stupid comments every time Kennedy shoots the puck and that's all the Islanders did last night and if you shoot the puck enough, you get bounces to go your way. Only the 4th and game winning goal was a Flower goal. The other ones were either a bounce (mcdonald) or just getting the puck toward the net and hoping something good happens.

Both teams still need 3 more wins to finish this off. Lets get number 2 tomorrow.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Fire0nice228 on Sat May 04, 2013 10:48 am

topshelf66 wrote:

I'd love that too. The dumbfounded look would be priceless.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby columbia on Sat May 04, 2013 10:49 am

The idea that "only" two of the goals were on Flower isn't particularly reassuring.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Admin on Sat May 04, 2013 10:53 am

Pens are 1-2 when TK is healthy-scratched this season. :lol:

Burn the rookies!
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dr Rosenrosen on Sat May 04, 2013 10:59 am

The 3-1 lead or the fight did not create the problem, they just made things worse. The first period lead was a mirage.
Dr Rosenrosen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby MarioLives on Sat May 04, 2013 11:02 am

Pretty simple really. Pens play defense they win, they play fire wagon hockey, they struggle
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Sat May 04, 2013 11:05 am

The Pens will win this series, the Isles are not good. But the concern is what will happen when the Pens face a team that is halfway good or better. Last night better have been getting some stupid out of their system now or it's going to be the same playoff disappointment upcoming against a lesser team. They aren't going to win every game, obviously, but when they lose games because they are getting outworked and because of dumb things like Fleury putting pucks in his own net, it's not a good sign. In the 2009 Cup run, much of the time when they lost they were still "outplaying" the other team. They had a couple stinkers in there but not this early. It's a bad sign that it's only two games and the ugly is already coming out. This is a veteran team, it needs to stop now.

Fleury does something like that again on the fourth goal and they need to go to Vokoun. I think that's why they got him, no? They can't mess around with Fleury spazzing.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins