'13 Playoffs Game 2 vs NYI - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: '13 Playoffs Game 2 vs NYI - Thoughts from the Morning A

Postby iWonTheCup87 on Sat May 04, 2013 11:11 am

just getting annoying the pens come out flying and get leads and then sit back and do nothing for the rest of the time. The pens looked slow and lazy especially Letang, i have no idea what his problem was but he looked like he was standing around the whole time waiting for the puck to come to him.

Not going to freak out here but i would be lying if i said i wasnt worried judged upon the pens playoff series the last few seasons. I should have more confidence but i wont until the pens win the next 2 games.
iWonTheCup87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Sat May 04, 2013 11:13 am

I think people are confusing lucky bounces for the Isles with earning goals (sans goal 4). Going to the net creating traffic and passing cleanly to the slot resulting in skate deflection is not lucky. Get 30 shots in 30 minutes and outplaying the other team gets you calls.

The pens actually didn't play all that great to a 3-1 and fall back. That got goals based in absurd skill but the Isles still pressed them from the start.

The Pens will win this series but I agree with a post above. Concerns me that teams with more up front depth and even a really good top 2 or 4 on defense will end out run.

Either Iggy is washed up or has to play right wing. Engo needs out of the line up but I would go with Burtuzzo. Despres makes way too mistakes in his own zone especially with the puck.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Fire0nice228 on Sat May 04, 2013 11:14 am

columbia wrote:The idea that "only" two of the goals were on Flower isn't particularly reassuring.

Pens lose by 3-4 if MAF doesnt play outstanding for most of the game. He got shelled. It looked like Men Vs Boys out there.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Orlando Penguin on Sat May 04, 2013 11:23 am

--Not quite sure how Nisky avoids that fight with Okposo. Okposo skates directly over to him to engage. Kinda difficult to just skate away from that, especially when you have incompetent officials who will call even-up when you don't even drop your gloves (Cooke penalty)

--I'll say it again -- I laughed when I read people saying that the Isles' 17 shots in the first period were of 'low quality'. And I laugh when people moan about Kennedy throwing pucks at the net. Guess what? You can't score if you don't shoot (unless you have biological problems...different topic). I bet there were more than a few of you who were yelling 'SHOOOOOOOT' when the Pens were screwing around with the puck in the final minute with the goalie pulled and not even LOOKING at the net. Especially in the playoffs, when you throw the puck at the net or put it in the crease area, good things will happen. Malkin drove me nuts twice last night when he'd try to wrap around the net but never let go of the puck into the crease area. Pucks take funny bounces...why do the other teams know that and use it to their advantage and the Pens don't?
Orlando Penguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby the riddler on Sat May 04, 2013 11:45 am

I'm most disappointed by their lack of urgency last night. This was a chance to really put the pressure on the Islanders and instead they gave them life. They couldn't keep the puck in the Islanders end like they did in Game 1. I think they still can win the series, but I'm not sure just how much better than the Islanders they are after a performance like that. Hopefully it was just one bad game and this will be a wake up call.
the riddler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby murphydump55 on Sat May 04, 2013 11:46 am

Orlando Penguin wrote:--Not quite sure how Nisky avoids that fight with Okposo. Okposo skates directly over to him to engage. Kinda difficult to just skate away from that, especially when you have incompetent officials who will call even-up when you don't even drop your gloves (Cooke penalty)

--I'll say it again -- I laughed when I read people saying that the Isles' 17 shots in the first period were of 'low quality'. And I laugh when people moan about Kennedy throwing pucks at the net. Guess what? You can't score if you don't shoot (unless you have biological problems...different topic). I bet there were more than a few of you who were yelling 'SHOOOOOOOT' when the Pens were screwing around with the puck in the final minute with the goalie pulled and not even LOOKING at the net. Especially in the playoffs, when you throw the puck at the net or put it in the crease area, good things will happen. Malkin drove me nuts twice last night when he'd try to wrap around the net but never let go of the puck into the crease area. Pucks take funny bounces...why do the other teams know that and use it to their advantage and the Pens don't?

Bingo. I may complain about a bunch of stuff, but TK is never one of them. Yeah he may chest snipe, but he always put the puck to the net, which is never a bad thing. I'd much rather see TK put the puck to the net then see Malkin carry it in and turn it over, or dance around the zone and not even get a puck on net.

Fleury continues to earn his nick name of Mashed Potato brains...he has to be better. The problem is, he's so friggin mentally weak. It looks like he's going to cry after every goal. More than a goaltending coach, I think he needs a mental coach.

Bennett plays 3 minutes a period for the first two, then two shifts in the third, which includes the last shift of the game. What kind of coach throws a kid that is completely cold out at the end of the game? Sure you may say his limited play had nothing to do with him personally, but it's still a horrible coaching decision. The kid deserves better and now Bylsma will scratch him for TK next game.

Crosby looks completely tentative. He didn't have that drive and determination last night. He's obviously scared to get engaged along the boards and didn't play his game at all. I expect him to be better next game after gaining some confidence last night.

Our PK is awful. We get pinned in our zone for what seems like eternity when compared to previous PK's we've had. We barely block shots, and barely pick off passes anymore. I remember the days where we created a ton of SH chances, now they're few and far between. We started to get back to an aggressive PK and now it seems like we've backed off again.

Bylsma - Dan, everyone sees it, except you. Malkin and Iginla don't have chemistry. They don't! Kunitz and Malkin do though! Why not make the brainless move of switching Iginla and Kunitz? I've been saying it all season, and I got blasted for it... the stretch pass and LACK of anything resembling a breakout will hurt us in the playoffs. Teams figure it out and know how to stop it. Our D men literally stand still with the puck and don't skate it up the ice on a controlled breakout. We ice the puck more than any other team and 90% of the time they're unforced icings! Stop with the stretch pass non stop and implement some kind of breakout aside from the stretch pass/tip in. Our record in the playoffs after winning the Cup is prime evidence that Bylsma is NOT a playoff coach and is easily solved. Zero adjustments.

Paul Martin looked horrible last night and I hope he bounces back, we need him to be a lot better with Engo dressed. Speaking of....once again, Bylsma's hatred for rookies hurts us again. Despres may make the odd mistake, but so does Engo, but at least there's more upside with Despres dressed! He can skate, he can pass and he can shoot.

It's hard to get into flow when your coach is changing lines all the time because of a needless benching of Bennett. It's also hard to find your game when you can't get INTO your game because you're getting outcoached. It's not that any particular players played HORRIBLE, it's that our coach was solved and the frustrations were showing. Yeah, I put some blame on Fleury, he did hold us in the game, but he also lost the game for us too. He continues to stop the tough shots and allow the easy ones.

I think just getting Orpik back and getting Engo out will help somewhat, even with as bad as Orpik has been this year. If Bylsma can make some adjustments to allow this team to use their speed and forecheck again, we'll have no problems, but that's all on him.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby wondermoose on Sat May 04, 2013 11:53 am

They played like a bunch of entitled babies after they got the lead. Everyone was preaching accountability this year, but if DB doesn't start benching his players for stupid play then it's all for naught. Bylsma has got to be in Letang's and Malkin's ear about staying away from the extracurriculars because their games fall to pieces once they get emotional.

Also, Engelland. Just... just wow.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Penspal on Sat May 04, 2013 11:54 am

- momentum.... Isles kill the 4 minute Tavares penalty, seemed to swing things for good.
- overconfidence. A focus on the score and not adjusting to the game changes were shared blame for all
- Paul Martin made some key mistakes, one resulted in a goal.
- Rays of sunshine early on in first period were cool. Outside hockey gods were looking in, didn't appreciate being denied, home team loses ;)
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Malkamaniac on Sat May 04, 2013 11:57 am

-Engelland gets a first class ticket to the nacho brigade.
-Despres should be in the lineup.
-Where was the hitting?
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby cojac on Sat May 04, 2013 12:04 pm

I'd go with these lines:
14-87-71
24-16-12
10-36-9
15-27-48

Pens finally have the depth to put the 2 headed monster together. The Sutter line will go up against Tavares. The Jokinen line had great chemistry down the stretch. The 4th line with TK's speed needs to crash and bang. On D, scratch Engo dress Despres.
cojac
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Fire0nice228 on Sat May 04, 2013 12:11 pm

Crosby and Malkin together... gross. and stupid. Top d pairing against that line, negate all depth and the point of having two world class centers. plus malkin sucks at wing.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby NashvilleCat on Sat May 04, 2013 12:12 pm

So, maybe we won't hear the "We want the Cup" chant again this series?
NashvilleCat
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby bigkam on Sat May 04, 2013 12:13 pm

Pens' did far too much standing and watching in the defensive zone, and allowed the Isles' speed to go virtually unhastled. The Pens need to up their intensity and physical play back to their game one level; no excuse for the lackadaisical defense we saw in game two.

That being said, you are not going to win very many games (playoffs or not) when your goaltender allows two incredibly soft goals. Fleury played brilliantly in game one and early in game two, but that cannot excuse the backbreaking goals he allowed. He must be better and more consistent if the Pens have any chance of a deep run.
bigkam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby wondermoose on Sat May 04, 2013 12:17 pm

bigkam wrote:Pens' did far too much standing and watching in the defensive zone, and allowed the Isles' speed to go virtually unhastled. The Pens need to up their intensity and physical play back to their game one level; no excuse for the lackadaisical defense we saw in game two.

That being said, you are not going to win very many games (playoffs or not) when your goaltender allows two incredibly soft goals. Fleury played brilliantly in game one and early in game two, but that cannot excuse the backbreaking goals he allowed. He must be better and more consistent if the Pens have any chance of a deep run.

I let the carom-off-the-boards goals go if the goalie is on the road, but at home? That's just not knowing your own building and Fleury should be on top of that sort of thing.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby NashvilleCat on Sat May 04, 2013 12:19 pm

Henry Hank wrote:The Pens will win this series, the Isles are not good. But the concern is what will happen when the Pens face a team that is halfway good or better. Last night better have been getting some stupid out of their system now or it's going to be the same playoff disappointment upcoming against a lesser team. They aren't going to win every game, obviously, but when they lose games because they are getting outworked and because of dumb things like Fleury putting pucks in his own net, it's not a good sign. In the 2009 Cup run, much of the time when they lost they were still "outplaying" the other team. They had a couple stinkers in there but not this early. It's a bad sign that it's only two games and the ugly is already coming out. This is a veteran team, it needs to stop now.

Fleury does something like that again on the fourth goal and they need to go to Vokoun. I think that's why they got him, no? They can't mess around with Fleury spazzing.

The Isles finished the season strong and they work hard. The Pens take them lightly at their own peril.

I think the Pens will win but then again in 1975 when it was 3-0 I thought the Pens would win that series too. Oh, and when we got blown out two games in 1983 and came back to Pittsburgh I thought that series was going to be over in 3 or 4 games. 1993? Don't get me started. Watching these guys I take nothing for granted, especially after the last three years of early exits.
NashvilleCat
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Lt. Dish on Sat May 04, 2013 12:28 pm

I'm not panicking yet, but when the Pens went down 2 games to 0 vs. the Caps a few years ago, I wasn't anywhere near as ticked off as I am now.

The Pens might be the only team I've seen win the Cup and then invite the proverbial monkey not just to jump on and hang their backs for a few years but also to crap and puke there while he's at it.

If the Pens play the way the entire universe knows they can play, then last night's game doesn't come down to a point where we worry about Fleury winning or losing the game. (Incredible insight there, I know.)
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Lt. Dish on Sat May 04, 2013 12:30 pm

NashvilleCat wrote:So, maybe we won't hear the "We want the Cup" chant again this series?

That chant annoyed me more than the wooing. My "love" for the wooing is well known. :wink:
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DelPen on Sat May 04, 2013 12:32 pm

The only team that can stop us from winning the Cup is the Penguins.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby GSdrums87 on Sat May 04, 2013 12:33 pm

A stationary pk and forcing stretch passes from the D on the breakouts really killed them. They were ALL OVER them game 1 and last night they just didn't pressure like they need to.
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Lt. Dish on Sat May 04, 2013 12:39 pm

NashvilleCat wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:The Pens will win this series, the Isles are not good. But the concern is what will happen when the Pens face a team that is halfway good or better. Last night better have been getting some stupid out of their system now or it's going to be the same playoff disappointment upcoming against a lesser team. They aren't going to win every game, obviously, but when they lose games because they are getting outworked and because of dumb things like Fleury putting pucks in his own net, it's not a good sign. In the 2009 Cup run, much of the time when they lost they were still "outplaying" the other team. They had a couple stinkers in there but not this early. It's a bad sign that it's only two games and the ugly is already coming out. This is a veteran team, it needs to stop now.

Fleury does something like that again on the fourth goal and they need to go to Vokoun. I think that's why they got him, no? They can't mess around with Fleury spazzing.

The Isles finished the season strong and they work hard. The Pens take them lightly at their own peril.

I think the Pens will win but then again in 1975 when it was 3-0 I thought the Pens would win that series too. Oh, and when we got blown out two games in 1983 and came back to Pittsburgh I thought that series was going to be over in 3 or 4 games. 1993? Don't get me started. Watching these guys I take nothing for granted, especially after the last three years of early exits.

Reminds me of being up 2 games to 0 vs. the Flyers in 2000. I still knew in my gut that the Pens weren't going to win that series. To me, the Pens were on borrowed time. Well, as much as I give the Isles credit--and I do--I still think the Pens were quick to offer time for the Isles to borrow last night.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Guinness on Sat May 04, 2013 12:40 pm

the riddler wrote:I'm most disappointed by their lack of urgency last night. This was a chance to really put the pressure on the Islanders and instead they gave them life. They couldn't keep the puck in the Islanders end like they did in Game 1. I think they still can win the series, but I'm not sure just how much better than the Islanders they are after a performance like that. Hopefully it was just one bad game and this will be a wake up call.

They'd scored 8 goals in 4 periods against the Islanders. I can forgive them for thinking that they were going to win the game after the first 15 minutes.

Now, how they respond to actually losing is where the rubber meets the road. If they come out and lay an egg in game three, then I will agree there is cause for concern.

Everyone seems to want to look at last night's game through the prism of the past few years' playoff performances... I think it's more fruitful to look at it in the context of the first 4 periods of this series; then let's see how things go from here. It's true, it would have been very nice to go into game 3 up, 2-0, but in the playoffs, especially this early on in both the series and the season, it's important to keep a little perspective.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby TrueNorth on Sat May 04, 2013 12:42 pm

I think Bylsma erred in giving Sid so much ice time given that he hasn't played in a month, has had minimal practice time with the team, has not yet healed from his injuries and surgery, and has not yet gotten 100% healthy in terms of his overall conditioning. Add to that that his first game back would be an intense playoff game against a team that would be desperate and loaded for bear. His TOI was 23:21, with only Letang (29:04) and Martin (23:43) having more. Although he came out like a house on fire with two quick goals, his energy level--which is often what sparks the team--clearly, and understandably, was not where it needs to be, and his more subdued presence almost seemed to set the tone for the rest of the players. I was especially struck by his rather low-key response to both of his goals, and, come to think of it, I don't recall seeing a real smile from him throughout the game.
TrueNorth
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Lt. Dish on Sat May 04, 2013 12:43 pm

DelPen wrote:The only team that can stop us from winning the Cup is the Penguins.

99.99999% agree, with a slight tip of the cap to the Blackhawks.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Trip McNeely on Sat May 04, 2013 12:45 pm

I'm not sure if everyone else noticed it or not, but Capuano defintely made a change last night. The Isles were creating all their chances from behind the net. Although I think it only resulted in one goal, working the puck from behind the net to the front really caused problems. THe Pens D seemed really confused on who should go to the puck and who should cover the net, and the forwards weren't in position either. IIRC, the Pens had serious problems with this earlier on in the season.
Trip McNeely
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Sat May 04, 2013 12:47 pm

Trip McNeely wrote:I'm not sure if everyone else noticed it or not, but Capuano defintely made a change last night. The Isles were creating all their chances from behind the net. Although I think it only resulted in one goal, working the puck from behind the net to the front really caused problems. THe Pens D seemed really confused on who should go to the puck and who should cover the net, and the forwards weren't in position either. IIRC, the Pens had serious problems with this earlier on in the season.

Only because we allowed them to get behind the net with the puck. Our forwards were caught deep which allowed easy access to our zone.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins