'13 Playoffs Game 2 vs NYI - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: '13 Playoffs Game 2 vs NYI - Thoughts from the Morning A

Postby scpensfan on Sat May 04, 2013 12:51 pm

I love me some MAF, but that guy HAS to have a 99 rating in let the luck bounce off me and go into my own net.
scpensfan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby nocera on Sat May 04, 2013 12:52 pm

I appreciate how level headed this thread is.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Trip McNeely on Sat May 04, 2013 12:55 pm

DelPen wrote:
Trip McNeely wrote:I'm not sure if everyone else noticed it or not, but Capuano defintely made a change last night. The Isles were creating all their chances from behind the net. Although I think it only resulted in one goal, working the puck from behind the net to the front really caused problems. THe Pens D seemed really confused on who should go to the puck and who should cover the net, and the forwards weren't in position either. IIRC, the Pens had serious problems with this earlier on in the season.

Only because we allowed them to get behind the net with the puck. Our forwards were caught deep which allowed easy access to our zone.

Yea good point. I'm trying to look at the x's and o's of what happened last night, but if we just played like we can and should, the Isles wouldnt have had those chances
Trip McNeely
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby NashvilleCat on Sat May 04, 2013 12:58 pm

Lt. Dish wrote:
NashvilleCat wrote:So, maybe we won't hear the "We want the Cup" chant again this series?

That chant annoyed me more than the wooing. My "love" for the wooing is well known. :wink:

I cringed the instant I heard that. You need four series to win a Cup and we haven't even won one in years. I don't care who you're playing or how good you think your team is there is not call for it. That can go and take the woos with it.
NashvilleCat
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby firepower on Sat May 04, 2013 1:15 pm

MAF looked pretty good even though a few bad bounces didn't go his way.
Most of the team however almost seemed like they wanted to take a break.
The first game whenever one of the Isles touched a puck, they would be flat on the ice a few seconds later. It was the complete reverse in game 2.
Credit the Isles for showing they're not pushovers, but lets hope the Pens don't get that lazy factor to the game .
firepower
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby IanMoran on Sat May 04, 2013 1:17 pm

Am I being biased for not being worried at all?

I also think the Islanders are better than people think though... I'd probably pick them to beat 4 teams in the East
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby dbizzle66 on Sat May 04, 2013 1:17 pm

Next game is crucial ... if the Isles go up 2-1, I think the Pens are borked ...
dbizzle66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Sat May 04, 2013 1:20 pm

Fleury has his moments, but God does he make me frustrated sometimes. He starts flopping around like a fish out of water and the next thing you know the puck's in the back of the net. It's unreal the knack he has for letting in goals like that.

With that out of my system, I think Fleury responds well with a big 0 tomorrow. This team is not close to the team it was last year, so let's stop comparing what happened with the Flyers to last night and stop being afraid that history is repeating itself. The Penguins played pond hockey for the last 15 games last season. They ended this season playing responsible, two-way hockey.

It's 1-1. This is the playoffs. Nobody said it was going to be easy. In a first to 4 series--I'd put my money on the team that won 75% of their games and not the team that barely won 50%.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Great58 on Sat May 04, 2013 1:20 pm

Too many penalties taken. We're better than them at even strength, their PP is good and our PK isn't very good.
The Islanders were the more desperate team, which was to be expected due to both the series and game scores. Pens aren't the first and won't be the last to lose playoff games after having a two goal lead, it happens. But I don't see that as a winning formula for the Islanders in the long run. They played their very best game, still got behind early and had to have an outstanding performance by Nabokov to hang on.

I don't think this game was unpredictable given how the season series went. I don't think it indicates anything about our chances in later rounds, or that we we lose this series. I still think Pens in 5. And that this series is mirroring the 2007 Pens/Sens series pretty closely.
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Sat May 04, 2013 1:20 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
columbia wrote:Any theories on why BB disappeared in the 3rd? I didn't notice that he was playing any worse than the rest of them (which bordered on craptastic at times)?

I just think Bylsma was shortening the bench, the fact that BB was out there when MAF was pulled (at the end) tells me that HCDB wasn't sending BB a message or anything (or so it appears to me anyway)

If he's going to bury Bennett, DB might as well give JJ some talent to play with and move him to Malkin's LW.

Adams-Vitale-Glass on the 4th line.

You get PK time out of both wings (and some banging out of Glass) + a speedy center, who can kill it on faceoffs.
Having said that, I'd be shocked to see DB put Vitale back in the lineup. :slug:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Sat May 04, 2013 1:29 pm

Game 3 is important now. If the Pens bounce back and dominate for 60 minutes again I could see the series lasting only 5 games. It will be important for them to play big for the Nassau will be bumping. Game 3 is now the most important game thus far in the series.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby no name on Sat May 04, 2013 1:37 pm

I will try to put a positive spin on this. We might of needed a loss like this to remind us the 60 mimute effort we have to put in. Game 1 was way to easy and gave us a over confident feeling.

During the season our skill will rise to the top and we can steal a ton of points by the level of skill our guys have. In the playoffs our skill plays a much smaller roll. It comes down to effort and desire to win games in the post season. This last game should be a reminder of the effort and desire it takes to win. 3-1 lead... i give the Islander credit for not giving up, they have my respect. But its time for the Pens to show them how a vetern playoff team responds to things like this in the playoffs.
Last edited by no name on Sat May 04, 2013 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Beveridge on Sat May 04, 2013 1:39 pm

I need a Bowser post with pictures and diagrams to fully understand what went wrong last night.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Penspal on Sat May 04, 2013 1:55 pm

I think a little bit of jumping joe Vitale would go a loooong way to increase the team energy level in the next game.

Pens need to becomes slightly more........
Spoiler:
Radioactive! Radioactive!
ALL SYSTEMS GO
the son hasn't died
deep in my bones
straight from inside
I'm WAKING UP
I feel it in my bones
the Pens gonna crush Islander cahones
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Sat May 04, 2013 2:06 pm

Dear pens you peed away an opportunity to go 2 games up. Are you now going to learn from recent history or will you go down the very same path? We've got captains, alternates, galore, but nobody could settle the team down last night, stop the insanity. Stop moaning about the calls, start possessing the puck for more than 2 seconds and start making routine saves.

Matt Niskanen, all defensemen; don’t get drawn into a fight that will leave the blue line exposed.
Kristopher Letang; until your play becomes consistent forget the lindstrom norris. You played like you were the scoring winger on the lines.
I’ve read nothing, bit dear Christ I hope Brooks can return soon.

Flower; you gotta dig; it is only going to get more difficult. The forwards and defense played a track meet and left you at the fort. But that puck off of the boards; you corrected that in 2008.

It is a damn shame Sidney’s efforts were blown up by a lack of composure .
For all my sins, I care, so I get to gripe and moan when I see them go stupid on the ice.

Onto the Island.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby murphydump55 on Sat May 04, 2013 2:14 pm

penny lane wrote:Dear pens you peed away an opportunity to go 2 games up. Are you now going to learn from recent history or will you go down the very same path? We've got captains, alternates, galore, but nobody could settle the team down last night, stop the insanity. Stop moaning about the calls, start possessing the puck for more than 2 seconds and start making routine saves.

Matt Niskanen, all defensemen; don’t get drawn into a fight that will leave the blue line exposed.
Kristopher Letang; until your play becomes consistent forget the lindstrom norris. You played like you were the scoring winger on the lines.
I’ve read nothing, bit dear Christ I hope Brooks can return soon.

Flower; you gotta dig; it is only going to get more difficult. The forwards and defense played a track meet and left you at the fort. But that puck off of the boards; you corrected that in 2008.

It is a damn shame Sidney’s efforts were blown up by a lack of composure .
For all my sins, I care, so I get to gripe and moan when I see them go stupid on the ice.

Onto the Island.

Sid's efforts? Aside from his two goals he actually looked lazy and wouldn't engage in any battles along the boards or try to beat anyone to pucks like he normally does.

I think that was his feeling out game and he'll come with more confidence next game, but last night wasn't even close to a good effort by him. He didn't play his type of game at all, and I guess I can understand why. I expect tomorrow to be different.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Kovy27 on Sat May 04, 2013 2:17 pm

Beveridge wrote:I need a Bowser post with pictures and diagrams to fully understand what went wrong last night.

He's doing it on twitter. He's slowly but surely morphing into DK by being nothing but negative. It's a real treat.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Sat May 04, 2013 2:30 pm

Kovy27 wrote:
Beveridge wrote:I need a Bowser post with pictures and diagrams to fully understand what went wrong last night.

He's doing it on twitter. He's slowly but surely morphing into DK by being nothing but negative. It's a real treat.

I mean, you just described half the posters here...
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Beveridge on Sat May 04, 2013 2:33 pm

Kovy27 wrote:

I need to get on top of this. What's his twitter handle?
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby TrueNorth on Sat May 04, 2013 2:52 pm

I fully expect the team to rebound tomorrow. I think this game was a real kick in the pants and will serve as a big reminder of what can happen when you don't play each game as though it was the deciding game. This is not the same team as last year, and I'm not just referring to the addition of some important players. This is a team with something to prove after last year's fiasco, and I think they will re-focus and get down to business.
TrueNorth
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby tfrizz on Sat May 04, 2013 3:09 pm

Henry Hank wrote:The Pens will win this series, the Isles are not good. But the concern is what will happen when the Pens face a team that is halfway good or better. Last night better have been getting some stupid out of their system now or it's going to be the same playoff disappointment upcoming against a lesser team. They aren't going to win every game, obviously, but when they lose games because they are getting outworked and because of dumb things like Fleury putting pucks in his own net, it's not a good sign. In the 2009 Cup run, much of the time when they lost they were still "outplaying" the other team. They had a couple stinkers in there but not this early. It's a bad sign that it's only two games and the ugly is already coming out. This is a veteran team, it needs to stop now.

Fleury does something like that again on the fourth goal and they need to go to Vokoun. I think that's why they got him, no? They can't mess around with Fleury spazzing.

Simply put, if the go with Vokoun tomorrow they have to go all in and ride him through the playoffs. It'll mess with Fleury's head way too much to be able to go back with him.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tfrizz on Sat May 04, 2013 3:17 pm

The big problem with last night's game was complacency. They won game 1 5-0 and jumped out to a quick 2-0 lead in game 2, then stopped playing. The fact that they would've needed Fleury to steal the game to win last night is something that should not be happening again the Islanders.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Stick_Flex on Sat May 04, 2013 3:19 pm

tfrizz wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:The Pens will win this series, the Isles are not good. But the concern is what will happen when the Pens face a team that is halfway good or better. Last night better have been getting some stupid out of their system now or it's going to be the same playoff disappointment upcoming against a lesser team. They aren't going to win every game, obviously, but when they lose games because they are getting outworked and because of dumb things like Fleury putting pucks in his own net, it's not a good sign. In the 2009 Cup run, much of the time when they lost they were still "outplaying" the other team. They had a couple stinkers in there but not this early. It's a bad sign that it's only two games and the ugly is already coming out. This is a veteran team, it needs to stop now.

Fleury does something like that again on the fourth goal and they need to go to Vokoun. I think that's why they got him, no? They can't mess around with Fleury spazzing.

Simply put, if the go with Vokoun tomorrow they have to go all in and ride him through the playoffs. It'll mess with Fleury's head way too much to be able to go back with him.

His head is already messed with. I think seeing someone else take over and do well might be the only thing that breaks him from this funk.
Stick_Flex
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby PhantomJB93 on Sat May 04, 2013 3:19 pm

I just hate going back to NY tied at 1 each. I knew this wouldn't be a sweep but I was hoping they wouldn't win a game until late in the series. I just have an awful feeling giving them that comeback and giving them hope now. It wasn't that we lost, it was the way we lost, they didn't simply outplay us, we choked it away again just like last year. We had a chance to go up 2-0 and take control of this series and we blew it; momentum is a dangerous thing in the playoffs and we just gave it to them.

If we don't take both of the next two I think we're in serious trouble. I want nothing to do with a game 6 or 7.
PhantomJB93
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pens4Life on Sat May 04, 2013 3:19 pm

Overall we were bad,lazy,not enough energy.. Isles played playoff game,we played like we started the regular season after 2 trainings together.. Bylsma dumbass played with 2 lines and half 3rd period ,but without BB?? Also Iggy and Geno dont have a chemistry..
Kuny to Geno,BB to RW,Iggy to RW with Sid,to give him some spark.. Engo should sit,Despres in,if Orpik aint ready..
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins