Fleury

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Fleury

Postby Beveridge on Mon May 13, 2013 1:12 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:
Beveridge wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:Do the last few Fleury supports on this board want him resigned?

Since that isn't an option until July 2015, I'm not sure why that's brought up.

If his contract was up next year, would you want him resigned?

Yes
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby PhantomJB93 on Mon May 13, 2013 1:13 pm

tfrizz wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:I don't think having 2-3 bad games out of 24 equals inconsistent.

If you're referring the the 2009 playoffs...

vs PHI: .965, .950, .828, .978, .885, .880 (Total: .922)
vs WSH: .885, .879, .913, .864, .903, .792, .905 (Total: .878)
vs CAR: .920, .857, .941, .968 (Total: .924)
vs DET: .900, .885, .931, .949, .762, .962, .958 (Total: .913)

Games < .900 sv%: 10
Games > .920 sv%: 9

The difference is the timing of his saves though. People can point to the stats and how he wasn't spectacular in 09 either, but in 09 even if he wasn't putting up a >.920%, he was making TIMELY saves when we needed him to and keeping us in the game. The past few years he's been doing the opposite and taking us out of games.
PhantomJB93
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby The Snapshot on Mon May 13, 2013 1:19 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
Beveridge wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:Do the last few Fleury supports on this board want him resigned?

He's not eligible to be a UFA until July of 2015, he can be re-signed starting in July of 2014.

I think the bigger question depending on how the rest of these playoffs go with respect to him is whether he is bought out. The $5M he commands could be a domino needed to re-sign Malkin and Letang. Somebody with a pretty big ticket has to be the next core member sacrificed as far as it looks financially. If we sign both Malkin and Letang without another piece carved off, we will have two lines and and a bunch of AHL guys filling in the bottom 6 and 3rd pair D.

It will be an interesting summer no doubt, and Fleury picked a bad time to start the playoffs with a stumble. It is debatable right now whether he can and will recover his footing and change the decision making criteria. If I had to decide today, I would cut him loose and add another viable goaltender to the roster with Vokoun - saving $2.5M or so.

I hope Fleury does get another shot and rights his ship. I like his persona on the team, but his performance has to be more consistent.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon May 13, 2013 1:26 pm

Are the Penguins willing to pay for that buyout though?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tfrizz on Mon May 13, 2013 1:28 pm

The Snapshot wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
Beveridge wrote:

He's not eligible to be a UFA until July of 2015, he can be re-signed starting in July of 2014.

I think the bigger question depending on how the rest of these playoffs go with respect to him is whether he is bought out. The $5M he commands could be a domino needed to re-sign Malkin and Letang. Somebody with a pretty big ticket has to be the next core member sacrificed as far as it looks financially. If we sign both Malkin and Letang without another piece carved off, we will have two lines and and a bunch of AHL guys filling in the bottom 6 and 3rd pair D.

It will be an interesting summer no doubt, and Fleury picked a bad time to start the playoffs with a stumble. It is debatable right now whether he can and will recover his footing and change the decision making criteria. If I had to decide today, I would cut him loose and add another viable goaltender to the roster with Vokoun - saving $2.5M or so.

I hope Fleury does get another shot and rights his ship. I like his persona on the team, but his performance has to be more consistent.

You're absolutely correct, but that doesn't become an issue until next summer.

As I said before, the problem Shero faces right now is that goalie prices are through the roof. And with a rather weak crop of FA goalies, there's not likely to be any kind of replacement out there.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby AlexPKeaton on Mon May 13, 2013 1:31 pm

Beveridge wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:
Beveridge wrote:

Yes

Fair enough, at least you are consistent. I don't see this as likely though. Buying him out might not be likely, but parting ways when his contract is done is probable unless he really turns his playoff performance around at some point.
Last edited by AlexPKeaton on Mon May 13, 2013 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tfrizz on Mon May 13, 2013 1:33 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:
Beveridge wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:
Beveridge wrote:

Yes

Fair enough, at least you are consistent. I don't see this as likely though. Buying him out might not be likely, but parting ways when his contract is done is probably unless he really turns his playoff performance around at some point.

I supposed it depends on whether Shero believes Fleury could straighten things out and whether there are any replacements avaialble. His next contract is going to be significantly lower - I'm expecting something in the $2.5- to $3-million range - and most like only for one or two years.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby The Snapshot on Mon May 13, 2013 1:34 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Are the Penguins willing to pay for that buyout though?

I don't think that there is any question that they are willing to spend whatever it takes to keep this team together. I believe that they would spend that money on players next year if there wasn't a cap. If by spending that money outside of the cap it allows them to ice the team they feel most comfortable with then I think they surely would
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon May 13, 2013 1:35 pm

I don't have that optimism, but heres hoping i'm wrong. I've been relatively supportive of him all along, but this series completely broke my faith in him.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tfrizz on Mon May 13, 2013 1:40 pm

The Snapshot wrote:

I don't think that there is any question that they are willing to spend whatever it takes to keep this team together. I believe that they would spend that money on players next year if there wasn't a cap. If by spending that money outside of the cap it allows them to ice the team they feel most comfortable with then I think they surely would

:thumb:

I don't question that they'd spend the money to do it, I just think it'll depend on what's available. If they can't get a replacement via free agency, then I don't see them buying him out. It just doesn't make sense to hand out $11.5-million in a buy out then turn around and have to trade away assets to bring in another goalie; I'd rather go with Fleury & Vokoun for the season and then with Vokoun in the playoffs than that.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby The Snapshot on Mon May 13, 2013 1:46 pm

tfrizz wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:

:thumb:

I don't question that they'd spend the money to do it, I just think it'll depend on what's available. If they can't get a replacement via free agency, then I don't see them buying him out. It just doesn't make sense to hand out $11.5-million in a buy out then turn around and have to trade away assets to bring in another goalie; I'd rather go with Fleury & Vokoun for the season and then with Vokoun in the playoffs than that.

I actually wish Fleury was just better, because they pay him a lot. He also had the 1st overall pick used on him and he really should be our goalie for more than the years remaining on his contract. It is lamentable that he has just stalled in his professional development at this point. He's the talented guitar player who shows up too stoned to play some nights. The band might be better of with a slightly less enigmatic talent and less drama.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pcm on Mon May 13, 2013 2:15 pm

I think this discussion will be moot in the next week or so, but if the Pens wanted to part ways with Fleury there would be takers on the trade market. There aren't a lot of available options in net next season, but there are a few teams who really need a goalie. We just eliminated one of them.

That in and of itself is why the Pens won't move Fleury, at least not next year. Maybe in the last year of his contract to make room for Malkin/Letang in 2014, if he continues to struggle and Hurtzell has a great showing in WBS.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Mon May 13, 2013 2:44 pm

The Snapshot wrote:The fact is the squeeky goal has always followed and dogged him.

If you think that is the goal that's been following him around, you need to brush up on your MAF101 (World Juniors circa '04) :lol: . I just don't understand all of the myths that surround Fleury. "Oh he's a home run hitter". Since when? 2009, four years ago?

It just seems like every year we make an excuse for the guy because we are scared ****less that this is really who Fleury is. Maybe it is. Maybe he wasn't tired last year. Maybe the fact that Sidney and Evgeni were out in 2011 doesn't mean he should have been shaking in his skates when the puck went behind his net. Maybe he's just not a very good goalie who had a really great playoff run.

His fundamentals are subpar at best. His athleticism isn't going to get any better as he gets older. His mental fortitude is akin to a third grade glue sniffer. Arya Stark would whoop his ass all over the place.

I don't think this team is very mentally strong as is. We know what the Flyer's did to us last year, even with Captain Canada and the Lazy Russian ( :slug: ). Maybe with a good, veteran team with strong leadership (Detroit, etc.) Fleury would prosper. I just don't see how he can rebound as a Penguin...every year it will be us (and the Penguins) wondering which Fleury is going to show up. I will root for the guy when he plays (as I always do) but I don't have any faith in him anymore.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon May 13, 2013 2:47 pm

I have always thought your username as "Don't Tows Me Bro". I know what it is and how to pronounce the name and yet in my head I still think of it that way.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Crankshaft on Mon May 13, 2013 2:48 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:
Beveridge wrote:

I'd like to weigh all the options before I considered signing him to an extension.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby champeen on Mon May 13, 2013 2:56 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I have always thought your username as "Don't Tows Me Bro". I know what it is and how to pronounce the name and yet in my head I still think of it that way.

somewhat ironic, considering the number of people who've misread/misinterpreted your username over the years.
champeen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby SoupOrSam on Mon May 13, 2013 3:01 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I don't have that optimism, but heres hoping i'm wrong. I've been relatively supportive of him all along, but this series completely broke my faith in him.

I have never agreed with you on a single sentence.

However, this is my exact feelings also.

...but at the end of the day you hate me and I hate you.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Mon May 13, 2013 3:03 pm

I always thought it was "idiot" for years until you pointed it out just now 0_0

mind=blown.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Penspal on Mon May 13, 2013 3:04 pm

SoupOrSam wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:I don't have that optimism, but heres hoping i'm wrong. I've been relatively supportive of him all along, but this series completely broke my faith in him.

So ..... haters really do have to hate, even when they agree?
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DropEmJayBird on Mon May 13, 2013 3:09 pm

I just watched all the goals he gave up in the Canadiens series.
He did not play that badly. I think he had 1 bad goal, then a few that deflected off his defencemens stick or skate. By the same token he had 2 really good games in that series.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DropEmJayBird on Mon May 13, 2013 3:11 pm

Also - my guess is after Vokoun gets beat by the slowest wrap around ever, then gives up a goal because he couldn't get up to cover it - the "start fleury" threads will all pop up on LGP. It's how we treat our goalies... we are the Mike Keenan of the message board world.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby tfrizz on Mon May 13, 2013 3:14 pm

DropEmJayBird wrote:Also - my guess is after Vokoun gets beat by the slowest wrap around ever, then gives up a goal because he couldn't get up to cover it - the "start fleury" threads will all pop up on LGP. It's how we treat our goalies... we are the Mike Keenan of the message board world.

Doubt it. It'd be more like if the Pens get eliminated we'll see posts saying "Should the Pens have gone back to Fleury?", especially if it's a short series.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby AlexPKeaton on Mon May 13, 2013 3:20 pm

Penspal wrote:
SoupOrSam wrote:

So ..... haters really do have to hate, even when they agree?

AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby AlexPKeaton on Mon May 13, 2013 3:22 pm

DropEmJayBird wrote:Also - my guess is after Vokoun gets beat by the slowest wrap around ever, then gives up a goal because he couldn't get up to cover it - the "start fleury" threads will all pop up on LGP. It's how we treat our goalies... we are the Mike Keenan of the message board world.

I disagree. The fan base has stuck with Fleury far longer than most would have lol.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby slappybrown on Mon May 13, 2013 3:23 pm

Nah.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins