Fleury

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Fleury

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed May 15, 2013 10:31 am

tfrizz wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:I don't know, even around the league I hear people giving him more slack. Last week several times on NHL radio I hear people saying stuff like "Usually once a goalie wins a cup, they're given some slack even when bad because they've won the cup. Fleury hasn't really gotten that."

Really? He hasn't? Wasn't that cup 4 years ago with 3 years plus half a series of very pedestrian playoffs in between?


Did he get that slack because he won the Cup? In his 3 playoff games with the Pens, Brent Johnson put up a stunning 4.94 GAA and .708 sv%. I'm more inclined to believe Fleury got the slack he did because there was no other choice.


And yet he made it through 4 games this year with a perfectly capable backup and after being taken out, people are still questioning whether or not he was given enough credit because he has won a cup.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,232
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Fleury

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed May 15, 2013 10:32 am

slappybrown wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:
owtahear wrote:Everyone likes Marc Andre Fleury as a person. He is the anti Tom Barrasso. However......the dirty little secret is....these playoff meltdowns aren't new for him. I went back to his JR career and in Willkes Barre Scranton, and MAF only had ONE season where is GAA and Save Percentage is higher in the post season than it is in the regular season. And some of those differences are significant. For most goalies, because the post season is usually much tighter played, their save percentage and GAA both improve. MAF's does the opposite. He is a head case. He is a talent, but outside of that brilliance in Game's 6 and 7 of the 2009 SCF, he melts under pressure because he overplays everything.

The only thing that could save him is a sports psychologist. But these playoff performances are not nothing new unfortunately for MAF.

So. I'm just "spitballing" here but, is it possible that MAF might actually benefit by getting older and a tad slower (response to your valid observation that he overplays everything)?

Interesting thought.

Creative thought, but I think the issue is he lacks the fundamentals 8 years into his career. That won't change with time IMO (though I think tfrizz believes someone other than Meloche should get a shot at fixing this issue). The flip side is his athleticism hurts him at times by pushing him out of position, but it also helps him recover -- particularly post to post -- when he is out of position/technically unsound. It covers some of his flaws. As he gets older, he won't be able to do that anymore.

When you want to, you can write some very intelligent well thought out posts.

You're right. If he doesn't quit trying to save everything in the Pens end, his skills eroding will only make things worse.

I was kind of thinking more along the lines of a fastball pitcher who loses that 100mph weapon and has to develop additional tools. Maybe this is what waks MAF up and makes him really work on 'playing within his capabilities'.
Last edited by ExPatriatePen on Wed May 15, 2013 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: Fleury

Postby slappybrown on Wed May 15, 2013 10:34 am

tfrizz wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:I don't know, even around the league I hear people giving him more slack. Last week several times on NHL radio I hear people saying stuff like "Usually once a goalie wins a cup, they're given some slack even when bad because they've won the cup. Fleury hasn't really gotten that."

Really? He hasn't? Wasn't that cup 4 years ago with 3 years plus half a series of very pedestrian playoffs in between?


Did he get that slack because he won the Cup? In his 3 playoff games with the Pens, Brent Johnson put up a stunning 4.94 GAA and .708 sv%. I'm more inclined to believe Fleury got the slack he did because there was no other choice.

I think there are two types of "slack."

One is as you described. There was no other real option in those playoff seasons, so he had to play.

But, in terms of his defenders and in terms of the team being proactive about finding a backup, he got a lot of slack. Shero addressed it this year, but could he have done so earlier? And all you have to do is look at this thread to see people under-cutting Vokoun's play so far -- when he stopped 35 of 36 last night -- because its "the defense thats playing better" to see that people still try to defend the indefensible.
Last edited by slappybrown on Wed May 15, 2013 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,220
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:08 am
Location: Noted Board Henchman

Re: Fleury

Postby tfrizz on Wed May 15, 2013 10:34 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
tfrizz wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:I don't know, even around the league I hear people giving him more slack. Last week several times on NHL radio I hear people saying stuff like "Usually once a goalie wins a cup, they're given some slack even when bad because they've won the cup. Fleury hasn't really gotten that."

Really? He hasn't? Wasn't that cup 4 years ago with 3 years plus half a series of very pedestrian playoffs in between?


Did he get that slack because he won the Cup? In his 3 playoff games with the Pens, Brent Johnson put up a stunning 4.94 GAA and .708 sv%. I'm more inclined to believe Fleury got the slack he did because there was no other choice.


And yet he made it through 4 games this year with a perfectly capable backup and after being taken out, people are still questioning whether or not he was given enough credit because he has won a cup.


He did, but it's not like it was an easy decision. According to Bylsma, he heavily considered going with Vokoun from the very start.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,286
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:49 am
Location: Freddy Beach

Re: Fleury

Postby tfrizz on Wed May 15, 2013 10:35 am

murphydump55 wrote:
Crankshaft wrote:At least half the league would be interested in Fleury as a starting goaltender AND they would take on his current salary to have him there.


Uh, no.

The way he has these meltdowns consistently year after year, why would anyone trust him? You want a goaltender that comes to play in the playoffs, and 4 post seasons in a row, Fleury has been a complete headcase.

If the Pens bought him out, I could see either A) a struggling franchise looking to rebuild, taking a chance on him or B) a decent team signing him cheap as a backup with the opportunity to win the starting job.

As a GM, I'd have a serious problem going out and wanting this guy as my team's starter. It's not like it was a couple seasons, it's been 4 post seasons of horrible numbers, inconsistent regular seasons, tons of soft goals, tons of first shot goals.

I hope we go in a different direction next year, but I'm doubting we do....unless of course the different directions is a new goaltender coach.


A rebuilding franchise isn't going to want an inconsistent soon to be 29-year-old goaltender. They're going to look for a young Jonathan Bernier type that has the opportunity to grow with the team.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,286
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:49 am
Location: Freddy Beach

Re: Fleury

Postby slappybrown on Wed May 15, 2013 10:36 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:
slappybrown wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:
owtahear wrote:Everyone likes Marc Andre Fleury as a person. He is the anti Tom Barrasso. However......the dirty little secret is....these playoff meltdowns aren't new for him. I went back to his JR career and in Willkes Barre Scranton, and MAF only had ONE season where is GAA and Save Percentage is higher in the post season than it is in the regular season. And some of those differences are significant. For most goalies, because the post season is usually much tighter played, their save percentage and GAA both improve. MAF's does the opposite. He is a head case. He is a talent, but outside of that brilliance in Game's 6 and 7 of the 2009 SCF, he melts under pressure because he overplays everything.

The only thing that could save him is a sports psychologist. But these playoff performances are not nothing new unfortunately for MAF.

So. I'm just "spitballing" here but, is it possible that MAF might actually benefit by getting older and a tad slower (response to your valid observation that he overplays everything)?

Interesting thought.

Creative thought, but I think the issue is he lacks the fundamentals 8 years into his career. That won't change with time IMO (though I think tfrizz believes someone other than Meloche should get a shot at fixing this issue). The flip side is his athleticism hurts him at times by pushing him out of position, but it also helps him recover -- particularly post to post -- when he is out of position/technically unsound. It covers some of his flaws. As he gets older, he won't be able to do that anymore.

When you want to, you can write some very intelligent well thought out posts.

You right. If he doesn't quit trying to save everything in the Pens end, his skills eroding will only make things worse.

I was kind of thinking more along the lines of a fastball pitcher who loses that 100mph weapon and has to develop additional tools. Maybe this is what waks MAF up and makes him really work on 'playing within his capabilities'.

Every thing I have ever written in any medium is well thought out and intelligent. My mom says so.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,220
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:08 am
Location: Noted Board Henchman

Re: Fleury

Postby owtahear on Wed May 15, 2013 11:02 am

What's most frustrating is his raw skills and talent are evident in the shoot outs. He is probably the best in the league at that. But......most goals aren't penalty shot attempts or clear breaks. It is pure a positioning and concentration issue. He is now 28. 10 years of playing goal professionally.

His antics during the shoot out practices are funny.....but perhaps he needs to focus a bit more on other "stuff".
owtahear
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,289
Joined: Fri May 26, 2006 9:02 pm

Re: Fleury

Postby Sarcastic on Wed May 15, 2013 12:54 pm

tfrizz wrote:
SoupOrSam wrote:Meloche has got to be fired at season's end regardless of cup or no cup. YOU HAVE TO. You have to see if MAFs issues can be coached. I just cannot get rid of that raw talent without first seeing if a new coach can actually coach him. I realize the mental crap cannot be coached, but the mental stuff is a domino. They should've at least rid themselves of Meloche after the Philly series last year. Problem is.... FOM.


As much as I'd like to see it, I really doubt Meloche is going anywhere. He's too close with Mario to lose his job. I'm definitely on board with what you're saying though. The mental mistake become a very minor issue if you can coach Fleury into sound fundamentals like Conklin did in 2008.

95% of goaltending today is positoning. You don't have to make big, highlight reel saves... you just have to be in the right spot and let the puck hit you. I swear Vokoun doesn't see at least 2/3 of the stops he makes - he's just in the right spot to do it.


If Meloche truly believes Fleury gave up only 1 bad goal in the Islanders series, then we can see where part of Fleury's problem is... it's the damn coach. Unless he just lied to save face and keep his job. Fleury clearly needs help from someone else if he is to get better.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,283
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:49 pm

Re: Fleury

Postby tfrizz on Wed May 15, 2013 1:06 pm

Sarcastic wrote:
tfrizz wrote:
SoupOrSam wrote:Meloche has got to be fired at season's end regardless of cup or no cup. YOU HAVE TO. You have to see if MAFs issues can be coached. I just cannot get rid of that raw talent without first seeing if a new coach can actually coach him. I realize the mental crap cannot be coached, but the mental stuff is a domino. They should've at least rid themselves of Meloche after the Philly series last year. Problem is.... FOM.


As much as I'd like to see it, I really doubt Meloche is going anywhere. He's too close with Mario to lose his job. I'm definitely on board with what you're saying though. The mental mistake become a very minor issue if you can coach Fleury into sound fundamentals like Conklin did in 2008.

95% of goaltending today is positoning. You don't have to make big, highlight reel saves... you just have to be in the right spot and let the puck hit you. I swear Vokoun doesn't see at least 2/3 of the stops he makes - he's just in the right spot to do it.


If Meloche truly believes Fleury gave up only 1 bad goal in the Islanders series, then we can see where part of Fleury's problem is... it's the damn coach. Unless he just lied to save face and keep his job. Fleury clearly needs help from someone else if he is to get better.


Why would there be any reason to lie? All Meloche would have to say is that they realize there were bad goals and they're working on fixing it. He didn't have to go and say that Fleury only gave up one bad goal and the rest were bad puck luck.

Bad goals happen, that just a fact of the game. But it's not the goalie coach's fault that they go in unless they don't identify and fix the issues, which appears to be the direction Meloche has headed.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,286
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:49 am
Location: Freddy Beach

Re: Fleury

Postby Sarcastic on Wed May 15, 2013 1:16 pm

tfrizz wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:If Meloche truly believes Fleury gave up only 1 bad goal in the Islanders series, then we can see where part of Fleury's problem is... it's the damn coach. Unless he just lied to save face and keep his job. Fleury clearly needs help from someone else if he is to get better.


Why would there be any reason to lie? All Meloche would have to say is that they realize there were bad goals and they're working on fixing it. He didn't have to go and say that Fleury only gave up one bad goal and the rest were bad puck luck.

Bad goals happen, that just a fact of the game. But it's not the goalie coach's fault that they go in unless they don't identify and fix the issues, which appears to be the direction Meloche has headed.


Because he has been with him long enough that he should have eliminated these issues Fleury has a long time ago. Unless he is one of those apologists like a few here who never see Fleury do anything bad. It's just bad luck and bad defense. He had many goals go in that were inexcusable, and the problem is just a continuation of what has always plagued him even before he got to the NHL. Either Fleury is beyond help or he needs new coach and a completely different approach. If I'm being honest, I'll say Fleury is an average goalie who just happens to impress at times with his athleticism. If maybe he got a good coach to teach him better fundamentals...
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,283
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:49 pm

Re: Fleury

Postby tfrizz on Wed May 15, 2013 1:42 pm

Sarcastic wrote:
tfrizz wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:If Meloche truly believes Fleury gave up only 1 bad goal in the Islanders series, then we can see where part of Fleury's problem is... it's the damn coach. Unless he just lied to save face and keep his job. Fleury clearly needs help from someone else if he is to get better.


Why would there be any reason to lie? All Meloche would have to say is that they realize there were bad goals and they're working on fixing it. He didn't have to go and say that Fleury only gave up one bad goal and the rest were bad puck luck.

Bad goals happen, that just a fact of the game. But it's not the goalie coach's fault that they go in unless they don't identify and fix the issues, which appears to be the direction Meloche has headed.


Because he has been with him long enough that he should have eliminated these issues Fleury has a long time ago. Unless he is one of those apologists like a few here who never see Fleury do anything bad. It's just bad luck and bad defense. He had many goals go in that were inexcusable, and the problem is just a continuation of what has always plagued him even before he got to the NHL. Either Fleury is beyond help or he needs new coach and a completely different approach. If I'm being honest, I'll say Fleury is an average goalie who just happens to impress at times with his athleticism. If maybe he got a good coach to teach him better fundamentals...


I don't think it's any secret how I stand on that front :P

IMO, lack of (or subpar) fundamentals are what have prevented Fleury from taking his incredible athletic ability and turning it into truly elite goaltending. Teach him those, and you've solved 99% of his problems.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,286
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:49 am
Location: Freddy Beach

Re: Fleury

Postby Crankshaft on Wed May 15, 2013 2:27 pm

tfrizz wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:
Crankshaft wrote:At least half the league would be interested in Fleury as a starting goaltender AND they would take on his current salary to have him there.


Uh, no.

The way he has these meltdowns consistently year after year, why would anyone trust him? You want a goaltender that comes to play in the playoffs, and 4 post seasons in a row, Fleury has been a complete headcase.

If the Pens bought him out, I could see either A) a struggling franchise looking to rebuild, taking a chance on him or B) a decent team signing him cheap as a backup with the opportunity to win the starting job.

As a GM, I'd have a serious problem going out and wanting this guy as my team's starter. It's not like it was a couple seasons, it's been 4 post seasons of horrible numbers, inconsistent regular seasons, tons of soft goals, tons of first shot goals.

I hope we go in a different direction next year, but I'm doubting we do....unless of course the different directions is a new goaltender coach.


A rebuilding franchise isn't going to want an inconsistent soon to be 29-year-old goaltender. They're going to look for a young Jonathan Bernier type that has the opportunity to grow with the team.


There is only one Jonathan Bernier.

I think many of you are severely underestimating the talent of goal-tending out there.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,269
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 12:35 pm

Re: Fleury

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed May 15, 2013 2:33 pm

There is also one Jack Campbell, one Andrei Vasilevski, one John Gibson, one Marc-Andre Fl Malcolm Subban out there.

When you say underestimating, do you mean overstating? If people are saying that there aren't a lot of teams that have need for Fleury and you think they're underestimating the talent of goalies out there, then are you saying there is nowhere that could use him?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,232
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Fleury

Postby tfrizz on Wed May 15, 2013 2:46 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:There is also one Jack Campbell, one Andrei Vasilevski, one John Gibson, one Marc-Andre Fl Malcolm Subban out there.

When you say underestimating, do you mean overstating? If people are saying that there aren't a lot of teams that have need for Fleury and you think they're underestimating the talent of goalies out there, then are you saying there is nowhere that could use him?


:thumb:

Even though the free agent pool is quite shallow, there are more than enough to meet the number of teams actually in the market for goaltending.

For UFAs you've got Mike Smith, Ray Emery, and Anton Khudobin leading the way. There also a variety if older former starters (ex: Backstrom, Khabibulin), solid backups (ex: C Mason, Labarbera), and even some younger guys (ex: Irving, Stalock, Rynnas). Out of the upcoming RFAs, the only quality goalie I see as begin available is Jonathan Bernier.

That leaves an assortment of options for the MAYBE 4 or 5 teams in the goalie market. For what it's worth, Rynnas is the guy I see Phoenix taking a shot on. He's young, big, and unproven but has put up solid numbers in his few NHL appearances.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,286
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:49 am
Location: Freddy Beach

Re: Fleury

Postby MRandall25 on Wed May 15, 2013 2:48 pm

I don't see many of those UFA's doing Fleury's job better, while also being cheaper.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,397
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Fleury

Postby Rylan on Wed May 15, 2013 2:49 pm

Backstrom is a very underrated goalie. The others I could leave on the free agency list.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,017
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:07 am
Location: Dead and Without Love

Re: Fleury

Postby tfrizz on Wed May 15, 2013 2:52 pm

MRandall25 wrote:I don't see many of those UFA's doing Fleury's job better, while also being cheaper.


Are you saying they wouldn't be a good as Fleury AND would cost more? Been a long day, my brain's only working at half-capacity right now...

Rylan wrote:Backstrom is a very underrated goalie. The others I could leave on the free agency list.


The only question regarding Backstrom is his health. He's had a variety of injury problems over the past few years, and at 35 years old he isn't getting any younger.



Anyways, my point being that the few teams in need of a starter will likely look at the top FAs - Smith, Emery, Khudobin, Bernier. Teams in need of a backup aren't going to want Fleury @ $5-million when they can get some very reliably backups for a fraction of the cost. The only way Fleury ends up anywhere but Pittsburgh next season is if he's bought out, but I don't see Shero doing that without a replacement lined up.
Last edited by tfrizz on Wed May 15, 2013 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,286
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:49 am
Location: Freddy Beach

Re: Fleury

Postby Rylan on Wed May 15, 2013 2:54 pm

If a team needed a goalie for a short run (2 years) Backstrom would be the free agent to get. But I agree, he is getting older and injuries have humanized him. But for years I thought he was the best goalie no one cared about,
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,017
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:07 am
Location: Dead and Without Love

Re: Fleury

Postby MRandall25 on Wed May 15, 2013 3:01 pm

tfrizz wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:I don't see many of those UFA's doing Fleury's job better, while also being cheaper.


Are you saying they wouldn't be a good as Fleury AND would cost more? Been a long day, my brain's only working at half-capacity right now...



I'm saying that a good UFA goalie will cost as much as Fleury. However, there aren't many "good" goalies in the sense that they can play solidly in any system.

There will be guys who could take Fleury's spot (Smith), but you'd have to pay them around what Fleury makes. Smith is looking for his pay day. Also, looking at the top 25 goalies in cap hits, the absolute lowest for someone signed last offseason was $3.5 mil, and those guys didn't hit the open market. Everyone below the top 25, save Nabokov, is back-up level.

The players who would theoretically make less, IMO, are guys who won't be worth the Pens' time (Emery, Khabibulin, Backstrom) because they either suck (Emery) or they won't be around long enough for us to find a suitable replacement (unless Hartzell or Zatkoff suddenly become NHL goalies overnight).

And Khudobin is not as good as the Bruins made him look. At all. He's not a guy you pick to be a starter.
Last edited by MRandall25 on Wed May 15, 2013 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,397
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Fleury

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed May 15, 2013 3:05 pm

Rylan wrote:If a team needed a goalie for a short run (2 years) Backstrom would be the free agent to get. But I agree, he is getting older and injuries have humanized him. But for years I thought he was the best goalie no one cared about,


Rich man's Vokoun. No one seemed to care about either of them through the 2000s for some reason. It was nice for fantasy.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,232
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Fleury

Postby tfrizz on Wed May 15, 2013 3:07 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
tfrizz wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:I don't see many of those UFA's doing Fleury's job better, while also being cheaper.


Are you saying they wouldn't be a good as Fleury AND would cost more? Been a long day, my brain's only working at half-capacity right now...


I'm saying that a good UFA goalie will cost as much as Fleury. However, there aren't many "good" goalies in the sense that they can play solidly in any system.

There will be guys who could take Fleury's spot, but you'd have to pay them around what Fleury makes. Looking at the top 25 goalies in cap hits, the absolute lowest for someone signed last offseason was $3.5 mil, and those guys didn't hit the open market.

The players who would theoretically make less, IMO, are guys who won't be worth the Pens' time (Emery, Khabibulin, Backstrom) because they either suck (Emery) or they won't be around long enough for us to find a suitable replacement (unless Hartzell or Zatkoff suddenly become NHL goalies overnight).

And Khudobin is not as good as the Bruins made him look. At all. He's not a guy you pick to be a starter.


Ok, I just wanted to make sure I understood what you meant. I'm with you on that one and it's a big reason why I'm a proponent of riding out at least 1 more year of Fleury's contract, especially with Vokoun under contract for that season. The UFA crop for 2014, which clearly won't be the same once guys can be re-signed, is a little shallower but much more talented. It's entirely possible Miller, Hiller, and Halak are all UFAs next summer. RFAs are pretty well the same deal as this summer - the handful of notable ones won't hit the market.

Oh, and I completely agree on Khudobin. There's a reason every goalie that plays for Boston looks good ;) Someone is still going to take a shot on Khudobin, though it probably won't be in a starting role.
Last edited by tfrizz on Wed May 15, 2013 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,286
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:49 am
Location: Freddy Beach

Re: Fleury

Postby MRandall25 on Wed May 15, 2013 3:08 pm

Miller, Hiller, and Halak would probably command more than Fleury in an open market.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,397
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Fleury

Postby Rylan on Wed May 15, 2013 3:09 pm

Halak is the only one of the 3 that would be interesting to entertain since he is the same age as Fleury I think. (Give or take a year?)
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,017
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:07 am
Location: Dead and Without Love

Re: Fleury

Postby tfrizz on Wed May 15, 2013 3:12 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Miller, Hiller, and Halak would probably command more than Fleury in an open market.


It depends on the market. Anaheim has Fasth signed through the 2014-15 season, and St Louis has Elliott signed through that as well. That's two teams likely to be out of the starting goalie market until 2015. Buffalo wants to get rid of Miller, so that's one fewer team that could be in on him.

The key is going to be how GMs approach the goaltending situation this summer. They're not going to get Smith or Emery on short term deals, so they either have to commit to them or run with a stop gap next season and target bigger UFAs next summer.


However, I'd be just as happy keeping Fleury and replacing Meloche then re-evaluating things next summer or after Fleury's contract is up.
Last edited by tfrizz on Wed May 15, 2013 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,286
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:49 am
Location: Freddy Beach

Re: Fleury

Postby Rylan on Wed May 15, 2013 3:12 pm

I would rather the Pens sign a dead duck than either Smith or Emery.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,017
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:07 am
Location: Dead and Without Love

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


e-mail