Fleury

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Fleury

Postby Tico Rick on Wed May 15, 2013 6:01 pm

Getting To My Game wrote:
Rylan wrote:Well to want to have a rubber disc capable of maiming shot towards me in the name of sport, you have to have a screw or 5 loose.

All goalies are crazy, I know from personal experience, just gotta be the right kind of crazy.

Yes, indeed. One of my favorite crazy goalies was former Penguin Al Smith, known as much for his fights as his goaltending, and one of the last goalies not to wear a mask. He once said: "the game is very simple; you either stop the little puck or you don't."
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Getting To My Game on Wed May 15, 2013 6:05 pm

Tico Rick wrote:
Getting To My Game wrote:
Rylan wrote:Well to want to have a rubber disc capable of maiming shot towards me in the name of sport, you have to have a screw or 5 loose.

All goalies are crazy, I know from personal experience, just gotta be the right kind of crazy.

Yes, indeed. One of my favorite crazy goalies was former Penguin Al Smith, known as much for his fights as his goaltending, and one of the last goalies not to wear a mask. He once said: "the game is very simple; you either stop the little puck or you don't."

Billy Smith is my favorite example, that guy was obviously whacked out of his skull, but there was no better clutch goalie in NHL history.
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Lt. Dish on Wed May 15, 2013 6:17 pm

Rylan wrote:
Lt. Dish wrote:

Speaking of maiming (please forgive me for that :oops: but my intention is good)...

How are you doing these days? :)

haha good thank you :fist:

:thumb: :)
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Gaucho on Wed May 15, 2013 6:51 pm

Whenever Hasek felt a little unsure about himself, he let one of his teammates take slapshots aimed at his head.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby The Snapshot on Wed May 15, 2013 9:43 pm

I am reading this thread and trying to limit my responses in here so I am not labeled a troll again, but I think DropEm is Fleury.

I cannot fathom another reason for such massive rationalization as to why Fleury should not be banished until we are desparate.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby MRandall25 on Wed May 15, 2013 10:00 pm

Perhaps because people realize if the team plays like they did with Fleury in net, it doesn't matter who is in goal. They aren't going to play well. Period.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Wed May 15, 2013 10:06 pm

The Snapshot wrote:I am reading this thread and trying to limit my responses in here so I am not labeled a troll again, but I think DropEm is Fleury.

:lol:

Did the team play bad in front of Fleury? Yes, and they lost.
Did the team play well in front of Vokoun in Game 6? No, and we won.

That's the difference for me. You can choose to rationalize it however you want to.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Luckybreak on Thu May 16, 2013 6:44 am

Gaucho wrote:Whenever Hasek felt a little unsure about himself, he let one of his teammates take slapshots aimed at his head.

This illustrates the point perfectly as I could easily believe this to be true...
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Luckybreak on Thu May 16, 2013 7:00 am

This holds true for the maskless era but I can honestly say today's kit is so well manufactured goalies may even be overconfident in their invulnerability!

An interesting side note: during practice the other goalie was hit in the chest with a slapper from the hardest shooter on the team. His shots often left a mark but nothing too serious. Anyhow, the goalie woke that night with chest pains and thought he's broken a rib so headed to hospital. X-Rays revealed the slapshot hit the region of an undetected tumor... the guy was 24, never smoked and exercised regularly. Fortunately after 18 months of treatement he recovered and is playing again, but the doctors said if it hadn't been detected it would have become terminal within a few months. So, who's crazy for jumping in front of vulcanised rubber discs now?! :D
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Crankshaft on Thu May 16, 2013 7:18 am

Luckybreak wrote:

This holds true for the maskless era but I can honestly say today's kit is so well manufactured goalies may even be overconfident in their invulnerability!

An interesting side note: during practice the other goalie was hit in the chest with a slapper from the hardest shooter on the team. His shots often left a mark but nothing too serious. Anyhow, the goalie woke that night with chest pains and thought he's broken a rib so headed to hospital. X-Rays revealed the slapshot hit the region of an undetected tumor... the guy was 24, never smoked and exercised regularly. Fortunately after 18 months of treatement he recovered and is playing again, but the doctors said if it hadn't been detected it would have become terminal within a few months. So, who's crazy for jumping in front of vulcanised rubber discs now?! :D

What a lucky break!
Crankshaft
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby columbia on Wed May 22, 2013 10:17 pm

I wonder what he's thinking?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby slappybrown on Thu May 23, 2013 11:02 am

slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Beveridge on Thu May 23, 2013 11:07 am

slappybrown wrote:This was amusing (some bad words):

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2013/5 ... utinfleury

That was fantastic.

Winner: I'm not saying this is the case but I think it's a possibility that letang is playing bad so they will put fleury in. Letang loves fleury
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu May 23, 2013 11:12 am

Wow, people are morons.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DropEmJayBird on Thu May 23, 2013 11:18 am

Puck is bouncing an awful lot around the penguins net. My guess is the Bruins will be far more physical in front, and it we won't clear the puck as often as we are this series. Penguins have kept the shots outside, and often weak, hopefully that continues if the Pens get to the next round. Was hoping the Rangers would find a way - because thier offensive putrid reminds me of Ottawa's.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DropEmJayBird on Thu May 23, 2013 11:24 am

I did find it interesting that the goals Vokoun gives up are excused as bad defensive plays - yet similar goals that Fleury gave up whether it be a breakaway, deflection, or even a goal where your own man runs you over... well... you can just check any GDT for the outrage.

People are biased - and they defend their bias to the end. Fact is we have two really good goalies, but like any other goalie in the league - they give up goals when you have severe defensive breakdowns, you turn the puck over 20 times in your own end, you give up endless odd man breaks because you can't stop a teams transition game, or you knock pucks into your own net.

We win this series with either goalie fairly easily. It's a player thing now - you can't take out Vokoun while the team is playing well... we can all hope that continues to the cup because that means this team will not have been challenged.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby slappybrown on Thu May 23, 2013 11:25 am

Yes, everyone else is biased. That's it.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Thu May 23, 2013 11:31 am

DropEmJayBird wrote:I did find it interesting that the goals Vokoun gives up are excused as bad defensive plays - yet similar goals that Fleury gave up whether it be a breakaway, deflection, or even a goal where your own man runs you over... well... you can just check any GDT for the outrage.

People are biased - and they defend their bias to the end. Fact is we have two really good goalies, but like any other goalie in the league - they give up goals when you have severe defensive breakdowns, you turn the puck over 20 times in your own end, you give up endless odd man breaks because you can't stop a teams transition game, or you knock pucks into your own net.

We win this series with either goalie fairly easily. It's a player thing now - you can't take out Vokoun while the team is playing well... we can all hope that continues to the cup because that means this team will not have been challenged.

Fleury's soft goals came from below the goal line with the frequency of at least one per game in the playoffs. That's not bias, that's a trend that he kept up year after year.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu May 23, 2013 11:33 am

DropEmJayBird wrote:I did find it interesting that the goals Vokoun gives up are excused as bad defensive plays - yet similar goals that Fleury gave up whether it be a breakaway, deflection, or even a goal where your own man runs you over... well... you can just check any GDT for the outrage.

There are certainly people that call every goal bad and that blame the defense for every goal. Those are the extremes. I'm pretty sure the % of goals that fleury that let in that should have been stopped far exceeds that of Vokoun's. More importantly, Vokoun doesn't lose it when he gives up one goal at a bad time.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Thu May 23, 2013 11:38 am

vokoun still leads the team in the "goals allowed that weren't even shots on goal" category. the only bias there is my assumption that gale force winds weren't going to come into the stadium and make the puck move 3 or 4 feet
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby nhl94 on Thu May 23, 2013 11:54 am

comfortable keeping flower = flower + ritalin + post therapy tests (and all this maybe)

anyone? maybe this combo would be incredible!
nhl94

Postby NashvilleCat on Thu May 23, 2013 3:17 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:

There are certainly people that call every goal bad and that blame the defense for every goal. Those are the extremes. I'm pretty sure the % of goals that fleury that let in that should have been stopped far exceeds that of Vokoun's. More importantly, Vokoun doesn't lose it when he gives up one goal at a bad time.

I like Fleury a lot. I defended him a number of times and the defense frequently hung him out to dry. That said, he was clearly struggling and the team wasn't playing well in front of him. Vokoun is playing better and the team seems to be playing better in front of him. Vokoun would have to melt down for me to want to switch back at this point.

Some folks will always blame the goalie.
NashvilleCat
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby nocera on Thu May 23, 2013 3:20 pm

Fleury will be needed before all is said and done. Remember, should the Pens finish off the Senators, we're still only halfway there.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Getting To My Game on Thu May 23, 2013 3:31 pm

nocera wrote:Fleury will be needed before all is said and done.

Once again, I fail to see the logic in this argument. What evidence or logic besides a hunch or pathological faith in Fleury would dictate that he's going to be needed once again? Tommy is this team's goalie now, for better or for worse. The Pens will sink or swim with him. Fleury's done here.
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby nhl94 on Thu May 23, 2013 3:36 pm

nocera wrote:Fleury will be needed before all is said and done. Remember, should the Pens finish off the Senators, we're still only halfway there.

maybe, maybe not, but the fact remains is that Fleury's career as a starting goalie is in jeopardy after he leaves the Pens. The switch to Koun for this long will be mesmerized by every coach and franchise every year and will not be forgotten, period. He was never an elite goalie and if you look at his stats, shows he was avg at the best; he just had a juggernaut team front of him. How did he win the cup with avg stats (saving %)? Because he was with the Pens.

Think of this way and I would love to see this happen to those who are 'fleurist' - what do you think will happen if instead of Anderson or other goalie, it was Fleury against Pen's juggernaut offense?

Flower would be destroyed beyond imagination, of course i doubt that will happen as I dont think any team will keep Flower as a starting goalie anymore.

He is a pure instinctual goalie, which explains why he does well during shoot-outs. Other than that, he panics, over reacts, which cause him to lose his consistency. That's why they should prescribe him some ritalin!
Last edited by nhl94 on Thu May 23, 2013 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nhl94

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins