OFFICIAL Gameday Thread: Game 3: 5/5/13 Penguins @ Islanders

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: OFFICIAL Gameday Thread: Game 3: 5/5/13 Penguins @ Islan

Postby SolidSnake on Sun May 05, 2013 8:16 pm

columbia wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:If I didn't know the outcome of the game and I just read this thread I would think the pens lost the game...

That's the fact, Jack.

Raphael is cool but rude Michaelangelo is a party dude
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tfrizz on Sun May 05, 2013 8:21 pm

shmenguin wrote:Why wouldn't iginla be good with Sid? Everyone is good with Sid.

That's because they just have to stand there while Sid beats all 5 opponents - twice. Absolutely incredible! He'll have the playoff scoring lead after Tuesday's game.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby NashvilleCat on Sun May 05, 2013 8:22 pm

penscup wrote:
Big Easy Pens Fan wrote:
Agreed. But I seem to think that some here weren't watching the same game you and I (and some others here too) were watching. And Streit knew it was holding because he held his hands up like "I didn't do anything" and "Geez, I hope thay didn't catch that." :face:

BEPF

What you and many others are missing and perhaps don't understand about the game of hockey is that battles for position happen all the time all over the ice. Crosby is very good at winning most of those battles. He won this particular battle against Strait too, but fell at the end of it because often times physical battles like this end with guys losing an edge (due to bad ice or losing balance - yes even the great Crosby loses his balance sometimes). Strait's job there in a critical playoff OT game is to be physical with Crosby once he realizes Crosby is going to make a drive to the net -- he can't just let him waltz in and score the game winner without a battle. The reason he raised his hands was to represent to the refs that he was conceding the battle after confronting Crosby initially - he realized he had lost. But it should not have been a penalty. He did not wrap his arms around Crosby or hook him with his stick which both would be penalties. He played the body.

It is not good for the game of hockey when refs screw up calls like this. It tarnishes the game and the refs should be called out for it whether the Pens are on the winning side or losing side.

The reason he raised his hands is the same as every other guy who just committed a penalty - he hopes he doesn't get a call. Just like everyone who says "what you don't know about hockey..." or "you never played game" is saying - my argument doesn't hold water but if I say something to distract you maybe you'll give in.
NashvilleCat
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby NashvilleCat on Sun May 05, 2013 8:24 pm

columbia wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:If I didn't know the outcome of the game and I just read this thread I would think the pens lost the game...

That's the fact, Jack.

Maybe they need to follow the Pirates lead and have some Army training, sir.
Last edited by NashvilleCat on Sun May 05, 2013 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NashvilleCat
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Eismann on Sun May 05, 2013 8:25 pm

I don't think Orpik's been much good this year. But I'd want him over Despres and marginally over Engellend.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Gaucho on Sun May 05, 2013 8:27 pm

"marginally" over Engelland? :shock:
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Beveridge on Sun May 05, 2013 8:28 pm

As much as it pains me to say it. I think Pens, in this series vs a speed team, would be better served with TK and Vitale over Adams and Glass.

Let those 2 spaz all over the ice for a few minutes a period and Islanders will be running around as much as we are.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Sun May 05, 2013 8:32 pm

Beveridge wrote:As much as it pains me to say it. I think Pens, in this series vs a speed team, would be better served with TK and Vitale over Adams and Glass.

Let those 2 spaz all over the ice for a few minutes a period and Islanders will be running around as much as we are.

adams is only in the NHL because he's allegedly some sort of leader. it would be good to see some evidence of that at some point. haven't seen it in a couple years.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Staggy on Sun May 05, 2013 8:32 pm

I'd like to see either TK or Vitale on Tuesday as well. They probably wouldn't make a huge difference but it would be nice to have some speed on the 4th line to pressure the Isles' on the forecheck.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Eismann on Sun May 05, 2013 8:35 pm

Gaucho wrote:"marginally" over Engelland? :shock:

People love to push Shift of Insanity as the prime Orpik trait, but he has shown a propensity for awful play and awful penalties, a la Engellend's crap today.

I think overall he's better, but it's not like I'm going to go "phew, thank goodness" when he returns.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Sun May 05, 2013 8:35 pm

i imagine it will be bennett out, jokinen or morrow to line 2 and TK to line 3 or 4 on tuesday. BB is in a little over his head right now.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Beveridge on Sun May 05, 2013 8:35 pm

The thing I notice with Adams, especially in the playoffs, is bad things tend to not happen when he is on the ice. Of course goals are going to happen vs the PK, that's just how it goes. But even strength, he is stupid smart with little plays he makes. He doesn't light up the score board, he isn't fast by any imagination, but in a tight game, where we hold the lead, if I had to pick 3 forwards to be out there for the final 30 seconds, Adams is one of the 3 I'm picking.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby malkinshair on Sun May 05, 2013 8:37 pm

shmenguin wrote:
Beveridge wrote:As much as it pains me to say it. I think Pens, in this series vs a speed team, would be better served with TK and Vitale over Adams and Glass.

adams is only in the NHL because he's allegedly some sort of leader. it would be good to see some evidence of that at some point. haven't seen it in a couple years.

He's a 'warrior'...willing to give up his body to block shots and blah, blah, blah.

I like CFA, but I can't understand why the coaching staff didn't give Vitale an opportunity to replace those qualities during the regular season. If Vitale isn't a PKer yet, why aren't we grooming him to be one??? From what I've seen, Vitale has all the tools CFA does, plus more speed and FO dominance. Just don't understand it.
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Eismann on Sun May 05, 2013 8:38 pm

Beveridge wrote:The thing I notice with Adams, especially in the playoffs, is bad things tend to not happen when he is on the ice. Of course goals are going to happen vs the PK, that's just how it goes. But even strength, he is stupid smart with little plays he makes. He doesn't light up the score board, he isn't fast by any imagination, but in a tight game, where we hold the lead, if I had to pick 3 forwards to be out there for the final 30 seconds, Adams is one of the 3 I'm picking.

I agree with that before this year.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby IMFC on Sun May 05, 2013 8:39 pm

Hand off stick
Hand grabs player
Player falls down
Referees incabable of consistent discriminatory judgement
RPG says . . . "Yes."

This sequence happens dozens of times a game. Buttman perceives randomness/unfairness as 'dramatic' and that it 'generates buzz'. Everyone with a brain perceives it as 'horrific' and that he's 'a moron'.

In my world, a guy goes past you, you can't take you hand off the stick to grab him. You blew it, you can't cheat to make up for it. Strait hasn't worked as hard at his game as Sid, I have no desire to give him artificial advantages to 'even it up'.
IMFC
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby tfrizz on Sun May 05, 2013 8:40 pm

Eismann wrote:

People love to push Shift of Insanity as the prime Orpik trait, but he has shown a propensity for awful play and awful penalties, a la Engellend's crap today.

I think overall he's better, but it's not like I'm going to go "phew, thank goodness" when he returns.

I'll go "phew, thank goodness" when he returns, but only because I don't want to see Engelland, Despres, or Bortuzzo get another second of ice time in the playoffs.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shmenguin on Sun May 05, 2013 8:42 pm

Beveridge wrote: But even strength, he is stupid smart with little plays he makes.

he really isn't, though. last year in the philly series, some big goal they scored was a result of him trying to do something pretty in the neutral zone. happened again on friday, though it didn't matter. at his best and "stupid smartest", he dumps the puck in. which is the same thing that a few hundred guys in the AHL would do.

also, he tried hitting grabner today and bounced off of him. yet he's revered for his hitting somehow.

look, adams isn't the issue, which i understand. but he's pointless unless he can be a leader. this team seems to be in meltdown mode pretty regularly, so i don't know what exactly he's doing to lead this year. or last year. or in 2010.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Eismann on Sun May 05, 2013 8:45 pm

tfrizz wrote:
Eismann wrote:

I'll go "phew, thank goodness" when he returns, but only because I don't want to see Engelland, Despres, or Bortuzzo get another second of ice time in the playoffs.

Yes, that too, unfortunately, because if this team was playing close to its best, then it would be a good chance for those guys to get some good experience. Now that the team is junk all over the ice, their inexperience makes them look worse.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby murphydump55 on Sun May 05, 2013 8:54 pm

shmenguin wrote:i imagine it will be bennett out, jokinen or morrow to line 2 and TK to line 3 or 4 on tuesday. BB is in a little over his head right now.

Agreed. TK should be in actually, we could use his speed and hustle right now.

Morrow to the 2nd isn't the answer...but Kunitz might be? And maybe Iggy to the 1st.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby tfrizz on Sun May 05, 2013 8:55 pm

Eismann wrote:
tfrizz wrote:
Eismann wrote:

Yes, that too, unfortunately, because if this team was playing close to its best, then it would be a good chance for those guys to get some good experience. Now that the team is junk all over the ice, their inexperience makes them look worse.

Yup. The team is a mess right now, especially defensively, and that means the veteran presence of Orpik would be a huge addition. And this is coming from a guy who spent most of the season calling for him to be traded!
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby neophool on Sun May 05, 2013 8:56 pm

what we need is a winger for sid

Spoiler:
:P
neophool
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Staggy on Sun May 05, 2013 8:57 pm

Did Sutter get bumped down to the 4th line today? I think I saw Jokinen with Morrow and Cooke far more than I did Sutter.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby CoachBarnyard on Sun May 05, 2013 8:58 pm

Scott wrote:
penscup wrote:
Big Easy Pens Fan wrote:
Agreed. But I seem to think that some here weren't watching the same game you and I (and some others here too) were watching. And Streit knew it was holding because he held his hands up like "I didn't do anything" and "Geez, I hope thay didn't catch that." :face:

BEPF

What you and many others are missing and perhaps don't understand about the game of hockey is that battles for position happen all the time all over the ice. Crosby is very good at winning most of those battles. He won this particular battle against Strait too, but fell at the end of it because often times physical battles like this end with guys losing an edge (due to bad ice or losing balance - yes even the great Crosby loses his balance sometimes). Strait's job there in a critical playoff OT game is to be physical with Crosby once he realizes Crosby is going to make a drive to the net -- he can't just let him waltz in and score the game winner without a battle. The reason he raised his hands was to represent to the refs that he was conceding the battle after confronting Crosby initially - he realized he had lost. But it should not have been a penalty. He did not wrap his arms around Crosby or hook him with his stick which both would be penalties. He played the body.

It is not good for the game of hockey when refs screw up calls like this. It tarnishes the game and the refs should be called out for it whether the Pens are on the winning side or losing side.

Stop right there please. Question for you. If the Islander player was in better position does this even happen? Another question. If the Islander player doesn't touch Crosby there does he go down to the ice and squander a scoring chance?

Your comment on the game being tarnished with a call like that? Apparently you don't understand hockey quite as much as you think you do. Here is a fact for you,,,and something the NHL has been learning....

You don't even the playing ice by allowing the other team to cheat. Period. That in itself does way more to tarnish the game my friend than any judgmental call. The NHL has made some aborted efforts to eliminate this crap. Team A has miles more talent but we will keep the series close by allowing team "b" which has inferior talent to hold, hook, grab and impede. The NHL learned the hard way that is not any kind of recipe that appeals to the fans.
So you are right about something being tarnished. The game would have been tarnished if they don't make that call there.

In case you didn't know you combat talent by better coaching, better matchups, better positonal play. Having the game tighten up because the slower player can hold the faster player is not good and that in fact is when the game gets tarnished.

:fist:
CoachBarnyard
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Inkio on Sun May 05, 2013 9:01 pm

I want to vomit after reading some comments on the Isles HF boards... "bettman is the reason they won" "not even a hold" etc... the only reason i think crosby went down was because there was contact on his right skate with Straits skate while being held. Stupid by Strait.
Inkio
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby shmenguin on Sun May 05, 2013 9:02 pm

Staggy wrote:Did Sutter get bumped down to the 4th line today? I think I saw Jokinen with Morrow and Cooke far more than I did Sutter.

Yeah. Which is weird, since I thought it was a very standard Sutter game. In that he did nothing exceptional and seemed to be capable defensively.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins