OFFICIAL Gameday Thread: Game 3: 5/5/13 Penguins @ Islanders

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: OFFICIAL Gameday Thread: Game 3: 5/5/13 Penguins @ Islan

Postby Godric on Sun May 05, 2013 8:04 pm

Anyone else think that this Islanders matchup is actually one of the toughest matchups the pens could have got?

Speed kills and the Islanders have it. Especially with Orpik out... they are totally exposing the slow players on the Pens like

Adams, Engelland, Murray, Iginla, Morrow, etc

I still totally expect the Penguins to win the series but I really believe that if the Pens draw the Rangers, Bruins or Sens next round they well win in 4 or 5.
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby Eismann on Sun May 05, 2013 8:05 pm

Staggy wrote:Did Sutter get bumped down to the 4th line today? I think I saw Jokinen with Morrow and Cooke far more than I did Sutter.

I think he was there with BB, because I barely saw either.

Regarding Sutter and Morrow, I think both can only be effective when their five man units can keep the puck in the offensive zone. Morrow around the net, Sutter more in open ice. If not, they spend all their time chasing, and not very well.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Staggy on Sun May 05, 2013 8:05 pm

shmenguin wrote:
Staggy wrote:Did Sutter get bumped down to the 4th line today? I think I saw Jokinen with Morrow and Cooke far more than I did Sutter.

Yeah. Which is weird, since I thought it was a very standard Sutter game. In that he did nothing exceptional and seemed to be capable defensively.

Hm, maybe they wanted a little more creativity on the 3rd line then? I don't really have a problem with it, he seems pretty interchangeable between the 3rd/4th line center role.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Lt. Dish on Sun May 05, 2013 8:06 pm

columbia wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:If I didn't know the outcome of the game and I just read this thread I would think the pens lost the game...

That's the fact, Jack.

Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: WIN IT FOR [insert important player here]...let's keep the list short, OK?!

Postby shmenguin on Sun May 05, 2013 8:07 pm

Sutter skates in mud. The decision was probably based on getting some speed on that line.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby AlexPKeaton on Sun May 05, 2013 8:09 pm

The Pens definitely miss JS and the 3rd line's ability to cycle. There is no chemistry on the cycle with any line except Sid's. I think they should just abandon the down low style offensive and go for a shoot first offense on every line but Sid's.

The other thing they need to do is slow the game down and go for controlled breakouts. The quick strike offense is leading to too many turnovers and they don't have the D personnel for it anymore.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Lt. Dish on Sun May 05, 2013 8:13 pm

Inkio wrote:I want to vomit after reading some comments on the Isles HF boards... "bettman is the reason they won" "not even a hold" etc... the only reason i think crosby went down was because there was contact on his right skate with Straits skate while being held. Stupid by Strait.

I decided after Game 2 that I was never going back to the HF Stanley Cup playoff board unless/until we win the series.

Too much glee at the Pens self-undoing there. Astounding, I know.

Please Pens, play the way we all know know you can play and let's win this damn thing.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: WIN IT FOR [insert important player here]...let's keep the list short, OK?!

Postby Eismann on Sun May 05, 2013 8:16 pm

Godric wrote:Anyone else think that this Islanders matchup is actually one of the toughest matchups the pens could have got?

Speed kills and the Islanders have it. Especially with Orpik out... they are totally exposing the slow players on the Pens like

I still totally expect the Penguins to win the series but I really believe that if the Pens draw the Rangers, Bruins or Sens next round they well win in 4 or 5.

I think the isles are playing over their heads with the exceptional quality of their board work and transition game. Couple that with the Pens playing a gear slower and stupider, the isles look better. Its not their speed.

Also note how little production theyve gotten from these things. Yes they actually scored cleanly today, but considering how much theyve had the puck, their overall lack of talent has held them back. I would expect other playoff teams to present a different set of problems.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Lt. Dish on Sun May 05, 2013 8:17 pm

Godric wrote:Anyone else think that this Islanders matchup is actually one of the toughest matchups the pens could have got?

Yep. Said so before it even started that their speed was my only concern. But, I'm still hoping they tire themselves out playing balls-out. The Pens have got to dictate the pace of game 4.

I wish we knew something about Orpik.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby cojac on Sun May 05, 2013 8:27 pm

Gotta add speed to the lineup, I feel TK and Vitale would help with that. Question is who do you take out? Sutter, Jokinen, and Glass are all on the slow side.
cojac
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Eismann on Sun May 05, 2013 8:32 pm

I don't know how much adding speed will address the structural and tactical problems, like soft d coverage, lazy transition that pins teammates to the boards, lazy zone entry, inability to mark up in the neutral zone coming back. If the subs did any of those better, or at least went hard to the net, then OK.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pressure=9Pa on Sun May 05, 2013 8:39 pm

Lt. Dish wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:
bhaw wrote:This game is also the perfect time for me to reiterate that I **** hate Dan Bylsma as a coach without creating a thread that offends everyone. The dude can't coach in the playoffs. No excuses this year. Need to do way better than this. Saying the Islanders are "too fast" is just another excuse.

I'm also being to wonder about the AHC in Granato and Reirden. In 2009 the Pens had Fitzgerald and Yeo. Maybe Bylsma is kind of operating on his own a lot for this, maybe he had more help with better assistants in 2009.

IMO, the Pens haven't been the same since Fitzgerald left the bench. I'm not exactly sure how; maybe it's a coincidence.

SS, while you might have a point, I'd love it if you could make a time-warp post back to 2009-10, and tell this board that we'd miss Mike Yeo.
pressure=9Pa
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Lt. Dish on Sun May 05, 2013 8:43 pm

My theme song for today's game:

Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Sun May 05, 2013 8:46 pm

cojac wrote:Gotta add speed to the lineup, I feel TK and Vitale would help with that. Question is who do you take out? Sutter, Jokinen, and Glass are all on the slow side.

I disagree. I don't think speed is the problem. The Penguins have plenty of speed. To me it's a coaching issue. The Penguins should not try and match the run-and-gun style; that's what the Islanders want.

The Penguins need to slow the game down and take that strength away from the Islanders. I'm not saying they need to do a trap-style game, but the need to clog up lanes on the ice and play more conservative. The Penguins CAN score off the rush with no issue, that's no secret, but that's the Islanders main game-plan and you need to slow it down.
Last edited by Hugo Stiglitz on Sun May 05, 2013 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Malkamaniac on Sun May 05, 2013 8:47 pm

It's not going to matter, if the Pens can't figure out how to get back to what they did game one(or even some semblance of it), it's going to be an Isles win.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Fire0nice228 on Sun May 05, 2013 8:49 pm

Eismann wrote:

I think the isles are playing over their heads with the exceptional quality of their board work and transition game

I think many people arn't giving the Islanders enough credit.. they entered the playoffs by going 8-2-2 for the month of April, 1 of those losses was in regulation, 1 in overtime, and of course the two shootouts. The one regulation loss was by only 1 goal.

Face it folks. The Islanders are playing some great hockey right now. They have speed that is hurting the Penguins and that the Pens can't match. Their coach has identified a weakness in the system that allows them to get through the nuetral zone and throw pucks at the net, and HCDB and the Penguins haven't changed. They're young and hungry. They have a Hart candidate on their top line that makes the so-so players he plays with better.

They're not the joke that everyone made them out to be. Wake up and smell the coffee.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Sun May 05, 2013 8:50 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:It's not going to matter, if the Pens can't figure out how to get back to what they did game one(or even some semblance of it), it's going to be an Isles win.

The Islanders played like a team that never played a playoff game before in game 1 and the Penguins exploited that. The Islanders quickly changed their mentality and played like a hungry team.

I think it's pretty simple what the Pens need to tweak and it's just a matter of whether they do or don't. They need to play desperate hockey, plain and simple; that's IMO the main issue here. The other issue is a change in strategy: Slow the Islanders down.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Malkamaniac on Sun May 05, 2013 8:52 pm

Hugo Stiglitz wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:It's not going to matter, if the Pens can't figure out how to get back to what they did game one(or even some semblance of it), it's going to be an Isles win.

The Islanders played like a team that never played a playoff game before in game 1 and the Penguins exploited that. The Islanders quickly changed their mentality and played like a hungry team.

I think it's pretty simple what the Pens need to tweak and it's just a matter of whether they do or don't. They need to play desperate hockey, plain and simple; that's IMO the main issue here. The other issue is a change in strategy: Slow the Islanders down.

If they're unwilling to learn at the end of the day, is it a players thing or a coaches thing? If it's either or, someone pays the price at the end/offseason(if they get knocked out).
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Scott on Sun May 05, 2013 8:52 pm

bhaw wrote:There are two issues going on in the defensive zone right now that need to be corrected:

1. Over-pursuit: the Isles are using this against us. When they enter our zone or are controlling it in our end, the Pens are chasing hard. The Islander players are letting the play come to them then passing to open ice, where they have guys waiting. This is where their zone control is stemming from. Pens need to hit their assignments, battle for the puck and move it out.
2. The Isles are playing a lot from the side of our net. Over 50% of the goals this series have been set up or scored from this area. Pens haven't adjusted and are letting them control it in this area. This is very similar to how the Flyers beat us, so I'm sure the Islanders are using tape and seeing if we are still soft along the goal line to set up and shoot. We are, and they are scoring from here.

The 2 goal comeback today by the Islanders was because we sat back and let them come at us. You could pretty much see it coming from the start of the period. We were hoping to ride home on the 2 goal lead. The PP lines were shuffled from what they were to start the game to try and "protect" against SH goals. Ironically, it led to a SH goal. If you aren't sure what I'm talking about, just look at personnel. We swapped out a forward for Martin on our first PP in the 3rd. Trying to protect the lead and stop attacking.

Although I don't disagree with some of your sentiments with Bylsma, you can stop doing what you claim everyone else is doing in making excuses for excuses.
Nobody is saying the Islanders are too fast and using that as an excuse. They are saying the Islanders are fast. Period. Say what you want but the islanders top to bottom are the fastest team in the NHL. Having all that speed will cause players to over pursue. Its no different than in football. Speed is so hard to defend.

The bylsma sentiment I share to some degree. Sometimes he doesn't act like a coach. Sometimes I feel he is afraid to say or do certain things because he doesn't want to upset a star. Its not hard to get under the skin of the player you need to send a message to. It can be done without the player pouting. Michelle Therien was awful at this. He just said whatever and however and it pissed some players off. Bylsma is the other way...he doesn't say or do enough and he knows that the team quit on Michell Therien for being that way.....sssssoooooooo :? :?
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Sun May 05, 2013 8:55 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:
Hugo Stiglitz wrote:

If they're unwilling to learn at the end of the day, is it a players thing or a coaches thing? If it's either or, someone pays the price at the end/offseason(if they get knocked out).

I feel this has to be a coaching thing. The coach needs to bring a sense of reality to the situation. Obviously we have no clue what goes on in the locker room and maybe Bylsma is telling them that. Either way, shuffling some players around the lines isn't strategy, it's bad desperation.

The Penguins need to start clogging up their lanes. They have to play more defensive hockey.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Scott on Sun May 05, 2013 8:56 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:
Hugo Stiglitz wrote:

It is a coach thing. Some people here for the sake of arguing will say hold the players accountable too. Whatever. It is all on the coach because the end of the day if your product is not performing to the level which you are trying to get it to...then something needs to change so they do understand it and implement it.
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Malkamaniac on Sun May 05, 2013 8:57 pm

Hugo Stiglitz wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:
Hugo Stiglitz wrote:

I feel this has to be a coaching thing. The coach needs to bring a sense of reality to the situation. Obviously we have no clue what goes on in the locker room and maybe Bylsma is telling them that. Either way, shuffling some players around the lines isn't strategy, it's bad desperation.

The Penguins need to start clogging up their lanes. They have to play more defensive hockey.

This is why I feel it's a coaches thing ultimately as well. Bylsma's next option for line swapping appears to always be either grasping at straws, or putting Malkin/Crosby together. The fact that Iginla isn't even used correctly bothers me. It's playoff hockey time, if you're not using all the weapons you have in the right instance, you're doing it wrong.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Sun May 05, 2013 8:58 pm

Scott wrote:Although I don't disagree with some of your sentiments with Bylsma, you can stop doing what you claim everyone else is doing in making excuses for excuses.
Nobody is saying the Islanders are too fast and using that as an excuse. They are saying the Islanders are fast. Period. Say what you want but the islanders top to bottom are the fastest team in the NHL. Having all that speed will cause players to over pursue. Its no different than in football. Speed is so hard to defend.

The Islanders are a faster team, but the Penguins aren't a slow team. But you're right, Speed is hard to defend. That being said, it's hard if you're allowing the Islanders to dictate the style of play and keep trying to match up rush for rush. The Penguins are a team that have the type of players that can play different styles. They can't keep trying to play the way the Isles are. They need to dictate play and slow it down. Lock it up, play tight and conservative.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby SoCalPenguin on Sun May 05, 2013 9:00 pm

Surprise them with a 1-2-2
SoCalPenguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby murphydump55 on Sun May 05, 2013 9:03 pm

SoCalPenguin wrote:Surprise them with a 1-2-2

yeah right...stick to the system.

If that doesn't work.

Revert back to the system.

Still not working?

Try the system.

It's what Bylsma does, we've seen it year after year. Stubborn. One way to do it and that's it.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins