ZIP IT. ZZZZZZZZZZZ-IPPPP IT.

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: ZIP IT. ZZZZZZZZZZZ-IPPPP IT.

Postby Arlow on Mon May 06, 2013 1:32 pm

I heard they gave away free nude pics of Snookie to get their sellout yesterday.
Arlow
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby PensHckyFan79 on Mon May 06, 2013 1:39 pm

I checked out the article only 3 things to say.

1. The video he used was Crosby first 2 years in the league when he did dive and dove bad on occasion, I dont think many of us Pens fans debate that.
2. Martin hitting Glass from behind when the puck was not even close was not called.
3. The game was not decided by the call the players decided it, the Isles could have killed the penalty or scored another shorty just because the call was made did not mean the Pens were going to win the game.

The writer obviously just started watching hockey and based his opinion of Crosby on his first years in the league and has had his head in the sand since.
PensHckyFan79
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby jwest21 on Mon May 06, 2013 1:42 pm

meow wrote:
BleuLineLady wrote:What a disgraceful article coming out of the NY media:

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/05/06/ ... -in-black/

He used "shenanigans" in a professional article?? That's awesome.

I stopped reading after I realized that the whole article could be summed up in one word- "WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!"
jwest21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pcmforless on Mon May 06, 2013 1:45 pm

Arlow wrote:I heard they gave away free nude pics of Snookie to get their sellout yesterday.

Wouldn't that drive fans away?
pcmforless
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby jwest21 on Mon May 06, 2013 1:47 pm

PensHckyFan79 wrote:1. The video he used was Crosby first 2 years in the league when he did dive and dove bad on occasion, I dont think many of us Pens fans debate that.

Why were there gazelles and ballet dancers?
jwest21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby IcePack on Mon May 06, 2013 3:22 pm

From Kerry Frazier's blog "c'mon ref" on TSN.

Pittsburgh-NY Islanders: Brian Strait holding penalty in OT; Sidney Crosby had Brian Strait cleanly beaten as he used a power turn with the puck in the corner to take the lead lane on a direct path to the net. Strait took one hand off his stick and grabbed Crosby from behind to restrain the best player in the world. The Referee delayed his decision and the raising of his arm to make sure that a legitimate infraction had been committed in OT.

In games where we have seen too many missed or avoided calls I commend Referee Tim Peel for making this one at a crucial time in the game.
IcePack
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Mon May 06, 2013 3:49 pm

Another aspect of the call is that say it was a more veteran defender, like Streit or Visnovsky hauling down Sid - do you think the refs make that call? I bet they give the veteran the benefit of the doubt. A rookie is always (well, almost always) going to get called for that. Which is B.S., but it's NHL officiating we're talking about it.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby NashvilleCat on Mon May 06, 2013 3:50 pm

If it was such a bad call then why didn't any of the Islanders, Strait included, raise complaints when the call was made? He said nothing, just skated straight to the penalty box.
NashvilleCat
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon May 06, 2013 3:58 pm

You should hear the gnashing of teeth up here in Islander-land today.

What a bunch of babies.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Great58 on Mon May 06, 2013 4:32 pm

IcePack wrote:From Kerry Frazier's blog "c'mon ref" on TSN.

Pittsburgh-NY Islanders: Brian Strait holding penalty in OT; Sidney Crosby had Brian Strait cleanly beaten as he used a power turn with the puck in the corner to take the lead lane on a direct path to the net. Strait took one hand off his stick and grabbed Crosby from behind to restrain the best player in the world. The Referee delayed his decision and the raising of his arm to make sure that a legitimate infraction had been committed in OT.

In games where we have seen too many missed or avoided calls I commend Referee Tim Peel for making this one at a crucial time in the game.

I found it very humorous that someone in the comments section gave this comment a " :thumbdown: ".
That made me :face:
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby jwest21 on Mon May 06, 2013 4:38 pm

Great58 wrote:
IcePack wrote:From Kerry Frazier's blog "c'mon ref" on TSN.

I found it very humorous that someone in the comments section gave this comment a " :thumbdown: ".
That made me :face:

denial can be a weird and mysterious thing....
jwest21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby nexguy66 on Mon May 06, 2013 6:39 pm

I don't think the skate ever makes contact(you always see white space between them.) Nor the leg below the knee. If anything Sid's skate twist to to the right coincides with being pulled by the Islander's arm(penalty). I do not see a slew foot or any involvement with the leg. Tough call even at 4 frames per sec.

nexguy66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby PhantomJB93 on Mon May 06, 2013 6:46 pm

The more I watch it the more I don't understand why this is still such a big deal. I get that I'm biased, and it's not the MOST obvious call ever, but it's nowhere near the "blatant dive" or "egregious call" the hockey world outside of Pittsburgh is portraying it as. If this exact thing happened to anybody not named Sidney Crosby it's never a story.
PhantomJB93
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Froggy on Mon May 06, 2013 9:41 pm

nexguy66 wrote:I don't think the skate ever makes contact(you always see white space between them.) Nor the leg below the knee. If anything Sid's skate twist to to the right coincides with being pulled by the Islander's arm(penalty). I do not see a slew foot or any involvement with the leg. Tough call even at 4 frames per sec.

i don't think his blade is kicked, but more on the back of his leg. not a slew foot really... if you look, sid is leaning pretty hard on strait, and all of his weight is on that back foot. his other foot is pretty much off the ice for the most of that.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby scals37 on Tue May 07, 2013 12:32 am

pcmforless wrote:
Arlow wrote:I heard they gave away free nude pics of Snookie to get their sellout yesterday.

Wouldn't that drive fans away?

the mutants from long island have no shame
scals37
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KBone on Tue May 07, 2013 1:16 am

BleuLineLady wrote:What a disgraceful article coming out of the NY media:

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/05/06/ ... -in-black/

My favorite part is how the author (or editor) changed the title of the article after it was published.

Away from "Slipper, Princess in Black" to "Award, Actor in Black"

Chump.
KBone
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Mango Salsa on Tue May 07, 2013 5:50 am

The Isles fans should worry less about Sids alleged antics and more about their wretched penalty kill, shorty notwithstanding
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shoeshine boy on Tue May 07, 2013 8:37 am

PhantomJB93 wrote: If this exact thing happened to anybody not named Sidney Crosby it's never a story.

this.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Mango Salsa on Tue May 07, 2013 9:05 am

The call was made not because its Sid but because it took away a scoring chance. Sid beat his guy and had a clear lane to the front of the net and got hauled down from behind.

That's how they call playoff hockey...stick fouls and fouls that take away scoring chances.

Islanders fans wouldn't understand playoff hockey, though
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue May 07, 2013 9:13 am

Mango Salsa wrote:
Islanders fans wouldn't understand playoff hockey, though

Well, certainly not those under the age of 30 anyway.

I'd say those that grew up in the 80's are pretty knowledgable though.

It's interesting that most of the Islander fans that I know are either under 24 or over 50.

Those in between have had their hearts ripped out by stupid organizational moves (many by Mad Mike) so many times I think they're immune.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby no name on Tue May 07, 2013 9:54 am

Its hockey, we lost plenty of games like this in the past. We will lose some in the future like this. It was just our turn to win this one on a call. Hell i can understand the Islanders fans being upset about this. I still get mad thinking of the Pens losing to the Flyers in game one because of that blown offsides that let to that breakaway goal.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pressure=9Pa on Tue May 07, 2013 10:00 am

"All I know is I watched the Islanders and Penguins wage war for 60-plus minutes on Sunday in a beautifully played game that went back and forth..."

Thinking this was a "beautifully played game" might be the dumbest comment in the article, and that's an accomplishment. It was an exciting game, but it was mistake filled from both sides from the drop of the puck until CK hit the net in OT. Flawed games can be very fun to watch at times, but you can't call them "beautiful".
pressure=9Pa
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Froggy on Tue May 07, 2013 10:26 am

I hate the notion of "just letting them play". It just gives an advantage to the team that cheats more
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shoeshine boy on Tue May 07, 2013 10:39 am

it's amazing how they want the refs to be "consistent" but then they want the whistles put away completely in OT. how about this: no rules in OT at all. offside, icings, delay of game, kicking the puck, too many men all out the window. 40 guys on the ice and the rules are, THERE ARE NO RULES!!!!!!
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue May 07, 2013 10:41 am

Careful folks, we have at least another 14 games (if the Pens do what they should), I'm sure at some point we'll be on the other side of this argument.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins