'13 Playoffs Game 3 vs NYI - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

'13 Playoffs Game 3 vs NYI - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Mon May 06, 2013 7:45 am

Pens win 5-4 (OT)

- horrid start, amazing recovery, horrid collapse, OT win... mistake filled affair made for exciting hockey
- 2 wins out of 4, regained home ice advantage (my series prediction of 4-1 Pen's still possible, but looking shaky ;)
- Fun, but tough to watch as a fan (either team). Some Pen's did not get the message from HCDB. Simple routine plays botched lead to goals against...
- I expect to see at least one lineup change from HCDB (Orpik if healthy in for Despres)
- Sid looked better this game, really used his body and did play a "power forward" style which was very effective
- Powerplay is clicking at the right time (so many various looks)
- MAF made the key saves when he had to. An average MAF performance would have made this a loss, he was not perfect, but its a "W"
- Geno needs to consistently play defensively responsible. Kudos to Geno for keeping his head, Isles targeted him & should have received penalty calls
- Brian Strait has not been good for the Isles. Pens know his weaknesses and should continue to challenge him
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: '13 Playoffs Game 3 vs NYI - Thoughts from the Morning A

Postby no name on Mon May 06, 2013 7:54 am

I swear playoff hockey will be the death of me.

Nice to see us rebound, terrible to see NYI rebound. Can't believe Milbury said Crosby dove... He needs to get a life.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon May 06, 2013 7:55 am

It was impossible to not primarily notice Crosby that game. Completely overpowering/outworking/outskating everyone.

How is that Strait penalty a topic of discussion for anyone?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon May 06, 2013 7:55 am

The Pens were dominated for most of the game again. As shaky as Fleury was, we won because Nabokov is absolutely terrible
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Penspal on Mon May 06, 2013 7:55 am

no name wrote:I swear playoff hockey will be the death of me.

Nice to see us rebound, terrible to see NYI rebound. Can't believe Milbury said Crosby dove... He needs to get a life.

Anyone have a link to the Milbury/Roenick commentary. I was watching the TSN feed, so I didn't get to see the ridiculous narrative of those two clowns.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pcmforless on Mon May 06, 2013 7:56 am

I feel that game was very pivotal and had they lost this could have gone 7 games easily. Sneaking out of there with the win and some return to responsible play can easily lead to two more straight wins and this series is over. I appreciate them keeping it exciting for us fans... but holding my breath for over 10 minutes in overtime was getting tough :) Last Wed's 5-0 game was much easier as a fan, although not quite as excitement filled.
pcmforless
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby CERV96 on Mon May 06, 2013 7:56 am

Milbury and Roenick are what they are.

More importantly Pens are playing with fire. When you play with fire?
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Guinness on Mon May 06, 2013 8:03 am

Idoit40fans wrote:It was impossible to not primarily notice Crosby that game. Completely overpowering/outworking/outskating everyone.

:thumb:

How is that Strait penalty a topic of discussion for anyone?

It's actually irritating that the league doesn't say something to Milbury and Roenick. It would be one thing if he legitimately dove, but it was a clear holding call, and the video of Strait kicking his leg out puts any question of a dive to bed. So the game commentators go ahead and paint the league's premier player as a diver... brilliant.

And pans to NBC for playing up the bizarre Milbury/Roenick "conflict". Seems almost like an attempt to put the league in the same class as WWE. If I were in the NHL office, I would have been p**sed about that post-game, all around.

NYI has speed, and it is clearly causing problems for PGH.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby meow on Mon May 06, 2013 8:04 am

Crosby being Crosby
Iginla's 5 on 5 play is very disappointing
Fleury made some good saves. That shot from Tavares was snipe city.
Every time Matt Martin hits someone, I hold my breathe. He hits to hurt, not that there anything wrong with that.
Strait is a bum. You cannot grab a player with your free hand like that, ever. End of story.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Mon May 06, 2013 8:04 am

Sid is leading by example, but hardly anyone follows.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Mon May 06, 2013 8:05 am

Hockey is a marginal sport and having gasbag commentators presumably drums up more interest.
It's not really a novel media technique.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby the wicked child on Mon May 06, 2013 8:21 am

As I have been doing all season with national games, I muted the TV and listened to Lange and Bourque. Throughout the 2nd and 3rd, Bourque kept mentioning how the Penguins forwards were streaking up the ice and forcing the D to make long passes. However, the Isles were moving up to break up these passes and the Penguins weren't adjusting to it. This is the kind of stuff that concerns me... you have to be able to adjust to the other team's adjustments in the playoffs... something HCDB has not done a very good job of the past few years.

Beyond that, it was frustrating that the team seemingly didn't show up for the beginning of the game and then lackadaisical play in the 3rd let the Isles back into the game. Fortunately, Streit took a penalty and the Pens escaped with the W. They have plenty to work on though... not going to get very far playing like this.

My immediate thoughts after the game were "Woo. Thank God. I need a drink". Sums up that game pretty nicely, I think.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pcmforless on Mon May 06, 2013 8:26 am

Also, those tee shirts they have with 4 on them signifying the number of wins needed for a series should be changed to 5.... for the number of goals they seem to need to win a game.....
pcmforless
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Malkamaniac on Mon May 06, 2013 8:32 am

I am not anticipating what's going to happen when they go 0-fer on the powerplay.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Mon May 06, 2013 8:33 am

Looking back through the replays, Bylsma switched system for all of 5 minutes, doing the dump and chase. Then went right back to having them pass up the boards, which led to continual turnovers.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby count2infinity on Mon May 06, 2013 8:50 am

-too much non-sense in the neutral zone leading to turnovers. get the puck deep, and go to work on a cycle on the boards.
-I know the powerplay was 3 for 5 or whatever, but there were far too many wrist shots directly into defenders ankles for my liking. this team has the speed to beat you every time if they get a good bounce. puck movement and one-timers. find those lanes to shoot.
-Defense has to close the gap when the Islanders are coming into the zone. I saw a lot of pointing saying, "you take him" the entire game. Step up, close the gap. I realize they have speed, but you cannot just let them waltz into your zone and skate clear to the top of the circles without any pressure what so ever.
-We won, so all is good, but get to work Pens.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penny lane on Mon May 06, 2013 8:50 am

Thank-you C Kunitz! Paul Martin as pgh radio said, created the space with a fake shot, then over to Sid.
Plus, Kunitz had delivered a textbook and clean check earlier in OT!
I know the penguins can play better defense and a better overall game. Game 4 would be the perfect showcase. I don't need to see style points & flair, great positional D and stellar "gap control" is what I would like to see.
Pens should not rush back James Neal and Brooks; they are needed for the long haul.
13 goals given up by Nabokov~ keep them coming penguins. :thumb:
*I too listened to Mike Lange and the Old 29-er yesterday and will tomorrow. :)
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Hawkeynut on Mon May 06, 2013 9:05 am

- I have a new found respect for the Islanders as a team. If Wang keeps them together, they will be a top team soon enough.
- I see alot of talk from the Pens vets about having to get better etc... All talk. I want action. I expect a 5-1 score in game 4 from this team. If it's another nail biter then :scared:
- Thank goodness for a PP the Islanders can't seem to solve. If Nabokov were playing any better this could easily be a 2-1 series for the Islanders, with the Isles holding all momentum.
- Whoever wins game 4 wins this series, I just feel it. :pop:
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Mon May 06, 2013 9:10 am

Every time I gear up to rip on someone and then hold back and not say anything, that player then has a great game. With that in mind, expect Morrow to have a killer game 4.

If you were to take the names off of the jerseys and didn't know anybody, would Iginla really strike anyone as anything more than a 3rd line talent?

Our first line...just wow yet again.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby blackjack68 on Mon May 06, 2013 9:12 am

Pirates win Friday, Pens lose.

Pirates lose yesterday, Pens win.

Hmmm....
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Mon May 06, 2013 9:19 am

hooo boy, where to start...

-terrible defense, as a whole. but specifically, eaton looked a hundred years old and niskanen played like complete and utter garbage
-letang is out of control. it's fun to see him join the rush on offense, but i don't want to see it like all the freaking time in a playoff game that you're winning by 2 goals and have no defensive presence whatsoever. reign it in, kris. seriously.
-morrow needs to be the slowest guy on his line for that line to be any good. based on the last couple games, it looks like he could skate circles around his center.
-"we're gonna love sutter" needs to go to the 4th line if there aren't any personnel moves before tuesday.
-malkin's still hurt. dude isn't skating right.
-so based on that, i wouldn't make any judgements on iginla. he's playing with a hobbled center and a rookie who's in over his head a bit.
-fleury is whatever. did anyone have confidence in him down the stretch yesterday? isn't that ultimately what it comes down to?
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon May 06, 2013 9:22 am

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:Every time I gear up to rip on someone and then hold back and not say anything, that player then has a great game. With that in mind, expect Morrow to have a killer game 4.

If you were to take the names off of the jerseys and didn't know anybody, would Iginla really strike anyone as anything more than a 3rd line talent?

If you took the names(and numbers) off the jerseys, i'd still be able to pick out Iginla. :pop:
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DropEmJayBird on Mon May 06, 2013 9:26 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:Every time I gear up to rip on someone and then hold back and not say anything, that player then has a great game. With that in mind, expect Morrow to have a killer game 4.

If you took the names(and numbers) off the jerseys, i'd still be able to pick out Iginla. :pop:

why... cause he's bald almost?
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ShaPe on Mon May 06, 2013 9:57 am

It is very frustrating to see the D try to force the stretch pass. For stretch pass to work the D needs to pass it up very fast. When they sit and wait like so many times yesterday, the isles can just cover every pens forward easily. I just seems so stupid and junior hockey when our D just stares up the ice and don't move. One shift during the game where Malkin came back to gain speed 2-3 times come into mind.

Dump it in, carry it in, a team must have a couple of different variations to gain the offensiv zone
ShaPe
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon May 06, 2013 9:57 am

Lots of LGP posters have called out HCDB for not making adjustments.

It's interesting to read what another coach says:

"I'm sure that coaching staff, and it's a good coaching staff, is going to make certain adjustments, but when you watch them play over the years, you know they have a system, too," Capuano said. "They want to chip pucks and get in on the forecheck. I'm sure they change every now and then, but they believe in that system and they've been very successful with it."

Read into it what you want, but it sounds to me like Capuano isn't concerned about having to game plan for a different look from the Pens.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins