'13 Playoffs Game 3 vs NYI - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: '13 Playoffs Game 3 vs NYI - Thoughts from the Morning A

Postby TrueNorth on Mon May 06, 2013 5:48 pm

Great58 wrote:
Pitts wrote:
Dickie Dunn wrote: Still dumbfounded?

Very much so. Malkin plays MUCH better with Kunitz on his left. Crosby plays the same no matter who he is with.

I image a desire to help Sid regain his game focus and timing after a 13 game layoff played a large role in this decision. Put him back with his familiar line upon return to the lineup to ease the transition back..

I think you are right about that and Sid said as much. He did state his preference for playing with Kunitz and Dupuis and actually said it would make for an easier transition. He also indicated that, while this would be his preference, he would be happy to play with anyone ; he just wants to play. It will be interesting to see what happens when Neal returns to the lineup.
TrueNorth
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby farnham16 on Mon May 06, 2013 6:18 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
farnham16 wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:Perhaps Bylsma thought the Pens needed a mental day to get their heads together.

That's probably true. His coaching philosophy is that he believes its more important to keep a team fresh than make them practice hard a lot.

Now I have no problem giving guys time off, but in the playoffs? After only 3 games? And after two straight piss poor performances? I wouldn't give them a day off today and I don't think most other coaches would. But hey, hopefully it works.

This team isn't playing to their potential. I'm fairly certain it's a mental issue. They need to simplify their individual games, stop playing like they have a stick up their arse, and then I think we'll see the true nature of this team.

As an aside, while practice was "optional", they waited till practice was supposed to start to declare it as "optional". 18 people still showed up. It's not like 3 guys came and everyone else stayed home. Perhaps they had a closed video session in the time between the Isle's practice and their scheduled time.

Just because practice was "optional", doesn't mean they didn't work on certain issues in the game. (generalization incoming) I don't know why fans see "optional" practice and act like the Pens don't do any other work outside of on-ice time.

Oh I know they do work off the ice and I know some guys showed up to the optional skate. I just disagree with calling an optional practice all things considered. The team has been so bad and their system so out of sorts these last two games that I think they should have had a long, full practice in pads today. I just don't like the message it sends to the team after two bad games by calling an optional practice.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Great58 on Mon May 06, 2013 6:25 pm

farnham16 wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:
farnham16 wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:Perhaps Bylsma thought the Pens needed a mental day to get their heads together.

That's probably true. His coaching philosophy is that he believes its more important to keep a team fresh than make them practice hard a lot.

Now I have no problem giving guys time off, but in the playoffs? After only 3 games? And after two straight piss poor performances? I wouldn't give them a day off today and I don't think most other coaches would. But hey, hopefully it works.

This team isn't playing to their potential. I'm fairly certain it's a mental issue. They need to simplify their individual games, stop playing like they have a stick up their arse, and then I think we'll see the true nature of this team.

As an aside, while practice was "optional", they waited till practice was supposed to start to declare it as "optional". 18 people still showed up. It's not like 3 guys came and everyone else stayed home. Perhaps they had a closed video session in the time between the Isle's practice and their scheduled time.

Just because practice was "optional", doesn't mean they didn't work on certain issues in the game. (generalization incoming) I don't know why fans see "optional" practice and act like the Pens don't do any other work outside of on-ice time.

Oh I know they do work off the ice and I know some guys showed up to the optional skate. I just disagree with calling an optional practice all things considered. The team has been so bad and their system so out of sorts these last two games that I think they should have had a long, full practice in pads today. I just don't like the message it sends to the team after two bad games by calling an optional practice.

They should have been doing Herbies until they puked. And then skated some more. :slug:
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Bathgate on Mon May 06, 2013 6:45 pm

Local ratings for the game:

PIT (NBC) - 18.9 (peaked at 23 in OT)
NYI (NBC) - 2.3

Interesting note: CHI vs. MIN drew 7.2 in PIT, almost as high as MIN (7.6) in the State of Hockey watching its own team.
Bathgate
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Shakes on Mon May 06, 2013 6:54 pm

Good on Strait for owning that. No shame in getting beat by Sid, and he had to grab him. Luckily for the Pens, the PP is one of the few things working.

I was scared to death when the Isles got that PP after they tied it. But they failed (lot of credit to Cooke and Adams).
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby marek on Mon May 06, 2013 8:27 pm

If the pens limit turnovers, start forcing the speedy isles forwards wide instead of letting them go straight ahead, stay persistent and smart in the isles end and fleury just simply relaxes... We win the next two and call it a series.
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Tico Rick on Mon May 06, 2013 8:29 pm

:thumb:
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Doogs on Mon May 06, 2013 8:48 pm

How is this the morning after thread in the evening and no word on if the fact that Orpik and Neal skated today has line up implications? Or has it been discussed?
Doogs
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MarioLives on Mon May 06, 2013 9:05 pm

Talked about in the Neal skates thread.....
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Doogs on Mon May 06, 2013 9:18 pm

Thanks
Doogs
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Kovy27 on Mon May 06, 2013 9:29 pm

Bathgate wrote:Local ratings for the game:

PIT (NBC) - 18.9 (peaked at 23 in OT)
NYI (NBC) - 2.3

Interesting note: CHI vs. MIN drew 7.2 in PIT, almost as high as MIN (7.6) in the State of Hockey watching its own team.

Impressive Islander fans. Wow.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Mon May 06, 2013 10:15 pm

Doogs wrote:How is this the morning after thread in the evening and no word on if the fact that Orpik and Neal skated today has line up implications? Or has it been discussed?

They skated with regular partners/linemates. Looks like both are GTD for tomorrow.

Orpik has his detractors, but he would be at LEAST addition by subtraction for one of Despres or Engelland, at least for a playoff series.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby booboo on Mon May 06, 2013 10:22 pm

shmenguin wrote:
count2infinity wrote:PK is at 91% for the series (10 for 11). That's terrible?

i imagine a scientist knows about sample sizes

How about imagining the lower confidence limit from that small sample and this distribution :-)
Would not look too bad either would it?
booboo
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby booboo on Mon May 06, 2013 10:29 pm

- If I want anyone to do Herbies on an optional practice day, it would be Danny B. and his crew
- I would add Kris L. so that he has time to imagine himself making sound defensive plays, for a change
- And maybe Jarome I. so that he could decide whether he is already retired or not, coz I can't tell from his play

Negativity out of the system, I just think that the team tries to slack their way through this round.
Yes it is grossly arrogant, but in a way clever maybe. We do not want them to throw everything
they have on some measly Islanders, right?
booboo
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penscup on Mon May 06, 2013 11:01 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
How is that Strait penalty a topic of discussion for anyone?

Probably because it WAS indeed a questionable call contrary to what most of the homers that post on this site want to admit. If it wasn't a topic of discussion why was EVERY sportstalk show I tuned into today focused primarily on that penalty and discussing whether it was correct or not as their #1 topic? Every hockey analyst interviewed was asked about it and believe it or not some actually agreed with my opinion and thought it was a bad call that should not have decided a playoff OT game. Unfortunately when I tried to discuss it here following the game yesterday I was labeled a troll and an idiot and laughed at for even trying to look at the play objectively. Shows you just how much downhill LGP has gone these days and why so few quality posters hang around here anymore.

I am disappointed ID40 that you too felt it wasn't even worthy of discussion because you are one of the few left that have a decent grasp of the game on here. Oh well.
penscup
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby meow on Mon May 06, 2013 11:03 pm

penscup... coming hard!
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Mon May 06, 2013 11:12 pm

Crosby was impeded with a clear shot to the net. That's a call every. Single. Time.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bathgate on Mon May 06, 2013 11:15 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Crosby was impeded with a clear shot to the net. That's a call every. Single. Time.

This NY homer disagrees:

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/05/06/capellini-sorry-islanders-but-the-shoe-always-fits-the-princess-in-black/
Bathgate
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Shakes on Mon May 06, 2013 11:26 pm

penscup wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
How is that Strait penalty a topic of discussion for anyone?

Probably because it WAS indeed a questionable call contrary to what most of the homers that post on this site want to admit. If it wasn't a topic of discussion why was EVERY sportstalk show I tuned into today focused primarily on that penalty and discussing whether it was correct or not as their #1 topic? Every hockey analyst interviewed was asked about it and believe it or not some actually agreed with my opinion and thought it was a bad call that should not have decided a playoff OT game. Unfortunately when I tried to discuss it here following the game yesterday I was labeled a troll and an idiot and laughed at for even trying to look at the play objectively. Shows you just how much downhill LGP has gone these days and why so few quality posters hang around here anymore.

In the GDT, you took a much more extreme position than you're taking now. You said Strait "did nothing wrong." Strait himself admitted that he got caught out of position and had to take a penalty. That's why you were crushed in the GDT.

It's one thing to discuss whether the rules should be relaxed in OT (I disagree), but to say it wasn't a penalty under the rule book is just silly.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penscup on Mon May 06, 2013 11:32 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Crosby was impeded with a clear shot to the net. That's a call every. Single. Time.

Except it wasn't a clear shot to the net. Strait was checking him and Crosby was checking him back as evidence by Crosby having only one hand on his stick and leaning big time into Strait's space on the ice. Strait let up, Crosby lost his balance and couldn't complete the play. Clean hockey play by both sides that should not have decided the game.
penscup
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Mon May 06, 2013 11:33 pm

lolno
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shakes on Mon May 06, 2013 11:50 pm

Dude. Just stop. I challenge you to show proof of any reputable hockey writer/blogger/analyst agreeing with you. Otherwise, we get it. You know hockey better than us...
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Stick_Flex on Tue May 07, 2013 12:17 am

penscup wrote:.....I am disappointed ID40 that you too felt it wasn't even worthy of discussion because you are one of the few left that have a decent grasp of the game on here. Oh well.

LOL. Good stuff. What's is offsides mean???
Stick_Flex
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby scals37 on Tue May 07, 2013 12:24 am

penscup wrote:

Except it wasn't a clear shot to the net. Strait was checking him and Crosby was checking him back as evidence by Crosby having only one hand on his stick and leaning big time into Strait's space on the ice. Strait let up, Crosby lost his balance and couldn't complete the play. Clean hockey play by both sides that should not have decided the game.

Two hands on the body, its a hold anyway you shake it.. sure you can factor in that it was playoffs and overtime, but as pointed out in the shush thread, Sid was clearly knocked off balance by Strait.. You're arguing against the rule book at this point and using the playoff/overtime circumstance as an excuse
scals37
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby SolidSnake on Tue May 07, 2013 12:28 am

This Penguin team has been mental since DB took over, the Pens got thumped in game 5 against Detroit to only come out in games 6 and 7 and play the games of their lives.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins