'13 Playoffs Game 3 vs NYI - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: '13 Playoffs Game 3 vs NYI - Thoughts from the Morning A

Postby champeen on Tue May 07, 2013 12:32 am

Is there any one else in the camp that says it was absolutely a hold, probably a trip, definitely NOT a dive, but also an iffy call in OT in the playoffs? Believe me, I'm no fan of how the NHL loves to 'ref the score' and has more even-up calls than any other league and changes their interperetation of the rules as the season goes on, but playoff OT, for me, is the exception. Swallow the whistle, ref....
champeen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby scals37 on Tue May 07, 2013 12:37 am

champeen wrote:Is there any one else in the camp that says it was absolutely a hold, probably a trip, definitely NOT a dive, but also an iffy call in OT in the playoffs? Believe me, I'm no fan of how the NHL loves to 'ref the score' and has more even-up calls than any other league and changes their interperetation of the rules as the season goes on, but playoff OT, for me, is the exception. Swallow the whistle, ref....

I absolutely thought this, until I realized that Sid absolutely had Strait beat to the net, and he took a penalty on a scoring opportunity, which is the only time you see penalties called in playoff OT... people are overreacting to this like it was an offensive zone tripping call, when it was the best player in the world driving the net and half a step from having the puck on his forehand
scals37
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby RxBandit66 on Tue May 07, 2013 12:50 am

That penalty was the right call.

1) They have consistently called the free hand since the lockout.

2) If that is not called, it narrows the gap between the talent levels of Crosby and Strait. I understand it was OT, but still, if teams could just throw out a bunch of pluggers, jobbers, and grapplers every shift (like the 1996 Florida Panthers) and have them water ski on the backs of the star players up and down the ice, it would be a very boring game. That penalty was a textbook example of why the free hand rule was put into effect. Had Sid not been driving to the net, it may not have been called, but that's pretty much an automatic call, and it has been for years.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby bhaw on Tue May 07, 2013 1:19 am

MarioLives wrote:Just curious, how hard is it for a goalie to get efficient playing the puck behind the net? I would think with Fleury's athletic ability, he should excel at this?

Several years ago, he was terrible. It was a freaking train wreck (think monkey with a hand grenade). Since then, I don't notice what a lot of people gripe about in regards to his puck handling. It seems sufficient. A goalie behind the net really only has 2 options: push it in the same direction it's going or push it the way it came from.

In general, it's a catch 22 because in order to seem more skilled at playing the puck, your team needs to accommodate a stronger play. For example, the Pens are going to play it different when Fleury collects the puck than the Devils when Brodeur collects it. In order for Fleury to seem more skilled, we'd need to vacate at least one of the safe outs for MAF, which I'd be fuming if they did because it's super risky unless you are a Brodeur caliber puck mover.

Could MAF be better? Sure. But I don't see many issues other than the occasional flub that all goalies are prone to. And if we are expecting him to get a little crazier, the Pens would need to adjust their approach and likely open us up for a lot more mistakes.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Tue May 07, 2013 1:56 am

scals37 wrote:
champeen wrote:Is there any one else in the camp that says it was absolutely a hold, probably a trip, definitely NOT a dive, but also an iffy call in OT in the playoffs? Believe me, I'm no fan of how the NHL loves to 'ref the score' and has more even-up calls than any other league and changes their interperetation of the rules as the season goes on, but playoff OT, for me, is the exception. Swallow the whistle, ref....

I absolutely thought this, until I realized that Sid absolutely had Strait beat to the net, and he took a penalty on a scoring opportunity, which is the only time you see penalties called in playoff OT... people are overreacting to this like it was an offensive zone tripping call, when it was the best player in the world driving the net and half a step from having the puck on his forehand

Yes. People are overreacting because (1) it was Sid and (2) it resulted in an "unjust," "undeserved" win by the horrible, arrogant Pens. To me, it's really that simple, and I'm not a conspiracy theorist. I just know that people, be they my next-door neighbor or Jeremy Roenick, hate my team and its captain, and make no effort to hide it. Well, good. I'm glad.

I feel a repeat of game 1 tomorrow. I'm projecting my rapidly increasing fatigue of this series on the Pens. Get this done, boys. Win and GTHO. I refuse--absolutely refuse--to accept that the Pens can't figure out these Isles and move on.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby IMFC on Tue May 07, 2013 3:10 am

I find this post hoc ctiticism of the Random Penalty Generator very inappropriate. It created the "buzz" of which is its purpose. All hail subjectivity with no standard of judgement!
IMFC
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby midd on Tue May 07, 2013 6:34 am

Because as of right now with Neal out, The Crosby-Dupuis-Kunitz line is clicking just like in the regular season. No way do you split that line up until Neal comes back.

Pitts wrote:I honestly believe that if they would simply put Dupuis/Crosby/Iginla and Kunitz/Malkin/Neal-Bennett together they'd have a much more potent attack and much more balanced scoring at 5v5. It dumbfounds me as to why Bylsma insists on Malkin and Iginla.
midd
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby scals37 on Tue May 07, 2013 7:32 am

This series shouldn't be that difficult

Wake up, realize you've been on a 3 day bender and put the nose to the grind stone.. The Isles are in neverland in their heads right now.. They're waking up and getting amped in any non-experienced way they can think of, and they think that they've been dealt a crappy hand because of last game.

Come out GUNS BLAZING, bodies crashing, veterans gnashing their jaws at any little joke that thinks he can make an impact... Rip Nabakov a new one with 30+ shots and reestablish the playoff choke artist he is

DUMP AND CHASE.. we are built around the chip and dump in mentality but are simply not getting back to the roots of it.

The Pens just need to want it more, and they haven't shown it since game 1.. so go out and get it done, because you may be able to limp past an 8th place Islander team, but don't expect to get further without the desire
scals37
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby tfrizz on Tue May 07, 2013 7:33 am

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:
Doogs wrote:How is this the morning after thread in the evening and no word on if the fact that Orpik and Neal skated today has line up implications? Or has it been discussed?

They skated with regular partners/linemates. Looks like both are GTD for tomorrow.

Orpik has his detractors, but he would be at LEAST addition by subtraction for one of Despres or Engelland, at least for a playoff series.

I've been a big "trade Orpik" advocate and I couldn't be happier to see him coming back - it keeps Engelland, Despres, and Bortuzzo off the ice.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue May 07, 2013 7:51 am

I've got a good feeling about tonight's game. It shouldn't take much to take the crowd out of the game. As soon as the Pens scored their first and second goals on Sunday, the building went quiet.

Get out to an early lead (even 1-0) and you make it easier for yourself.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby littlemoonboot on Tue May 07, 2013 7:59 am

Lt. Dish wrote:
Yes. People are overreacting because (1) it was Sid and (2) it resulted in an "unjust," "undeserved" win by the horrible, arrogant Pens. To me, it's really that simple, and I'm not a conspiracy theorist. I just know that people, be they my next-door neighbor or Jeremy Roenick, hate my team and its captain, and make no effort to hide it. Well, good. I'm glad.

I feel a repeat of game 1 tomorrow. I'm projecting my rapidly increasing fatigue of this series on the Pens. Get this done, boys. Win and GTHO. I refuse--absolutely refuse--to accept that the Pens can't figure out these Isles and move on.

:thumb:

I have a good feeling about tonight's game. I'm not a game predictor but not only getting Neal and Brooks back will help, I'd like to think they'll get tired of the farting around and get back to business.
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pfim on Tue May 07, 2013 8:48 am

If you have a clear path to the net, they make the call. I read an article and I thought the author said something ironic. The point of it was 'if this was in the neutral zone, no one would have a problem with the call.' I think it's the opposite, if it's in the neutral zone in OT, there's no call.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tfrizz on Tue May 07, 2013 8:53 am

Apparently some Isles fans are planning on printing these

and distributing them to people sitting around the glass. Some people never learn...
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue May 07, 2013 9:03 am

Heres hoping for a Crosby Sucks chant.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Tue May 07, 2013 9:12 am

I've never understood the mentality that goes along with penalties in the NHL. Why even have rules if certain people are going to be so selective about when something is a penalty or where something is a penalty? Refs are paid to call penalties (among other things). If you break the rules of the game then you should be punished by having a penalty called on you. The "refs deciding the outcome of the game" mentality conveniently absolves the player of all blame.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue May 07, 2013 9:14 am

I am of the belief that if its borderline in playoff OT, you don't call it. That play really left the ref no choice though. I'm sure there are a couple of refs that wouldn't have called it, but they would have been talked about for a long time after the miss.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue May 07, 2013 9:17 am

penscup wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
How is that Strait penalty a topic of discussion for anyone?

If it wasn't a topic of discussion why was EVERY sportstalk show I tuned into today focused primarily on that penalty and discussing whether it was correct or not as their #1 topic?

Because it led to a powerplay that decided the game. If he had tackled him, they would have been talking about it.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue May 07, 2013 9:19 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
penscup wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
How is that Strait penalty a topic of discussion for anyone?

If it wasn't a topic of discussion why was EVERY sportstalk show I tuned into today focused primarily on that penalty and discussing whether it was correct or not as their #1 topic?

Because it led to a powerplay that decided the game. If he had tackled him, they would have been talking about it.

And yet up here on Long Island, the entire series has gotten very little coverage except in the print media.

These people really don't deserve an NHL franchise.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby PensFanInDC on Tue May 07, 2013 9:30 am

PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Tue May 07, 2013 9:34 am

there's no greater metaphor for bitter jealousy then the public's reaction to crosby in the playoffs.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby littlemoonboot on Tue May 07, 2013 9:50 am

Keep poking the Crosby bear!
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby count2infinity on Tue May 07, 2013 9:52 am

penscup wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:Crosby was impeded with a clear shot to the net. That's a call every. Single. Time.

Except it wasn't a clear shot to the net. Strait was checking him and Crosby was checking him back as evidence by Crosby having only one hand on his stick and leaning big time into Strait's space on the ice. Strait let up, Crosby lost his balance and couldn't complete the play. Clean hockey play by both sides that should not have decided the game.

count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby littlemoonboot on Tue May 07, 2013 10:06 am

It's true that penalties like that shouldn't decide a game. A team shouldn't let it come down to something like that. The Isles could have killed the penalty, and nobody's talking about how bad Nabby has been, but yeah I guess they want to worry about Crosby being a "diver" and that supposedly cost the Islanders the game. Good. If they all want to lose focus and start worrying about Crosby instead of themselves, I hope it blows up in their face.
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby TrueNorth on Tue May 07, 2013 10:09 am

tfrizz wrote:Apparently some Isles fans are planning on printing these

and distributing them to people sitting around the glass. Some people never learn...

This sort of thing annoys the hell out of me (still clinging to my naive belief that life should be fair), but then I remind myself how Sid responds to these attempts to throw him off his game, and I think, yeah, bring it on. Go pens!
TrueNorth
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DropEmJayBird on Tue May 07, 2013 10:20 am

count2infinity wrote:
penscup wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:Crosby was impeded with a clear shot to the net. That's a call every. Single. Time.

Except it wasn't a clear shot to the net. Strait was checking him and Crosby was checking him back as evidence by Crosby having only one hand on his stick and leaning big time into Strait's space on the ice. Strait let up, Crosby lost his balance and couldn't complete the play. Clean hockey play by both sides that should not have decided the game.

DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins