Kris Letang, Norris finalist

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Kris Letang, Norris finalist

Postby Pitts on Tue May 07, 2013 11:01 am

count2infinity wrote:
BuckintheLou wrote:Couldn't tell it from his recent play. Just sayin.


:face: You do realize it's a regular season award, and he was lights out in the regular season.

There's always someone....
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,421
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Re: Kris Letang, Norris finalist

Postby Gaucho on Tue May 07, 2013 11:02 am

I admit I didn't expect him to even be a finalist considering he missed 1/4 of the season.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 40,650
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: The Onyx Club

Re: Kris Letang, Norris finalist

Postby Pitts on Tue May 07, 2013 11:03 am

shafnutz05 wrote:Congrats to Tanger, unfortunately the NHL will be tripping over themselves trying to shove the trophy into Subban's hands

I'm thinking they'd prefer money-boy Suter (he's got that name).
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,421
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Re: Kris Letang, Norris finalist

Postby Shakes on Tue May 07, 2013 11:07 am

Who's the last Pen to even be a finalist or finish in the top 3 voting? Murphy? Well done, sir.

I really think the sky is the limit for Tanger if he can find just a bit more composure. Dynamic player.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,893
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:27 pm
Location: Rochester, NY

Re: Kris Letang, Norris finalist

Postby pfim on Tue May 07, 2013 11:18 am

Gaucho wrote:
llipgh2 wrote:
Gaucho wrote:Penguins fans, proudly diminishing their own players' accomplishments since 1967.


No, I think it's great he was nominated. But it really is an award for a offensive d-man. Stay at home guys need love too. :lol:


Yes, they do, but do they really need a trophy? The Norris has always been about overall performance, and a big part of that is transition.


Tend to agree. Certainly, there's more to being a good defenseman than just playing good defense.

Of the three, Suter probably should and probably will win it.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,789
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:35 am
Location: Sitting in front of my computer

Re: Kris Letang, Norris finalist

Postby eddiefromirwin on Tue May 07, 2013 11:22 am

Letang's play is pricing himself out of town for sure.
eddiefromirwin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:17 am

Re: Kris Letang, Norris finalist

Postby Pavel Bure on Tue May 07, 2013 11:25 am

I think Suter gets this.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 13,230
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:15 pm
Location: http://freebitco.in/?r=289635 get bitcoins

Re: Kris Letang, Norris finalist

Postby pcm on Tue May 07, 2013 11:37 am

Letang very well may have won the award if not for missing so much time. He'll win it soon though and often. Probably for the best that he won't win it the summer before he signs a new contract...

He's arguably the 2nd most important player on this team. Having one of Malkin or Crosby in the lineup is definitely #1; but when they're both healthy, I think Letang becomes more valuable than having Malkin as a #2 center. That's not to say he's better or even that he's more valuable than Malkin in the long run though. Whenever Crosby's out, Malkin is the runaway MVP.

But what Letang brings to this defensive... it's a night and day difference when he's out of the lineup. He'll continue to mature and stabilize his game. He's the kind of defenseman who gets better with age. I have no problems giving him a max contract, 8 years @ 6-7m per. Trade Niskanen, Martin, whomever needs to go to make space for Letang.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,079
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:39 am
Location: mountains

Re: Kris Letang, Norris finalist

Postby eddiefromirwin on Tue May 07, 2013 11:47 am

pcm wrote:Letang very well may have won the award if not for missing so much time. He'll win it soon though and often. Probably for the best that he won't win it the summer before he signs a new contract...

He's arguably the 2nd most important player on this team. Having one of Malkin or Crosby in the lineup is definitely #1; but when they're both healthy, I think Letang becomes more valuable than having Malkin as a #2 center. That's not to say he's better or even that he's more valuable than Malkin in the long run though. Whenever Crosby's out, Malkin is the runaway MVP.

But what Letang brings to this defensive... it's a night and day difference when he's out of the lineup. He'll continue to mature and stabilize his game. He's the kind of defenseman who gets better with age. I have no problems giving him a max contract, 8 years @ 6-7m per. Trade Niskanen, Martin, whomever needs to go to make space for Letang.


Don't get me wrong, I love Letang. That said, this club is going to need to make some very hard choices. By signing Letang to a high number, you basically could see guys like Kunitz and Dupuis walk. These are older guys, for sure, by they are wingers that have worked well with Malkin and Crosby. I was sort of hoping they dealt Martin at the deadline, even though he had played great. He has played himself into being worth his $5 million salary.

Getting rid of Niskanen isn't going to help. He's a top-6 D-man with a low salary. Orpik is a more likely casualty.
eddiefromirwin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:17 am

Re: Kris Letang, Norris finalist

Postby pressure=9Pa on Tue May 07, 2013 11:47 am

pcm wrote:Letang very well may have won the award if not for missing so much time. He'll win it soon though and often. Probably for the best that he won't win it the summer before he signs a new contract...

He's arguably the 2nd most important player on this team. Having one of Malkin or Crosby in the lineup is definitely #1; but when they're both healthy, I think Letang becomes more valuable than having Malkin as a #2 center. That's not to say he's better or even that he's more valuable than Malkin in the long run though. Whenever Crosby's out, Malkin is the runaway MVP.

But what Letang brings to this defensive... it's a night and day difference when he's out of the lineup. He'll continue to mature and stabilize his game. He's the kind of defenseman who gets better with age. I have no problems giving him a max contract, 8 years @ 6-7m per. Trade Niskanen, Martin, whomever needs to go to make space for Letang.


Granted our end-of-season lineup isn't sustainable for a whole season, but it was obvious that missing Martin + Letang hurt more than missing Crosby + Malkin.
pressure=9Pa
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,914
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:46 pm
Location: Northern Indiana

Re: Kris Letang, Norris finalist

Postby pcm on Tue May 07, 2013 11:56 am

Letang's new contract won't kick in until Niskanen and Orpik (and Engelland) are all up for new ones. At that point, you look at guys like Despres, Harrington, Dumoulin to take those spots. Maybe Orpik signs a vet contract to finish out his career as a Pen, but he won't be making top 4 $.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,079
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:39 am
Location: mountains

Re: Kris Letang, Norris finalist

Postby NashvilleCat on Tue May 07, 2013 12:21 pm

Pitts wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:Congrats to Tanger, unfortunately the NHL will be tripping over themselves trying to shove the trophy into Subban's hands

I'm thinking they'd prefer money-boy Suter (he's got that name).

I think Suter gets it. At some point Subban has to wear out his welcome, no?
NashvilleCat
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,683
Joined: Sat May 24, 2008 8:18 pm
Location: Seventh Circle of Pirates' Baseball in August

Re: Kris Letang, Norris finalist

Postby Henry Hank on Tue May 07, 2013 12:21 pm

Letang definitely would have won if he didn't miss so much time to injury because he would have easily led defensemen in scoring outright. I think the voters pretty clearly just went down the scoring list.

Letang may very well price himself out like Staal did. They'll have some interesting decisions to make. I'd like to keep Letang because he's special but it's also hard to justify spending huge money on a D given all the prospects they have. Moving him could help recoup some of what they traded away at the deadline while also opening up cap space to keep more of the rest of the team together.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,480
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:31 pm

Re: Kris Letang, Norris finalist

Postby JoseCuervo on Tue May 07, 2013 12:42 pm

eddiefromirwin wrote:I was sort of hoping they dealt Martin at the deadline, even though he had played great. He has played himself into being worth his $5 million salary.


Nothing says "cup run" like trading your second best defensemen. :face:

I don't know why you'd want him gone at this point, but he can still be bought out this summer. He could also be traded next year prior to Letang's next contract kicking in.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,809
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:20 pm
Location: Dallas

Re: Kris Letang, Norris finalist

Postby mikey287 on Tue May 07, 2013 12:44 pm

JoseCuervo wrote:
eddiefromirwin wrote:I was sort of hoping they dealt Martin at the deadline, even though he had played great. He has played himself into being worth his $5 million salary.


:face:


That's all I could muster after reading that. Good for you getting words out...holy cow that's bad...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,009
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Re: Kris Letang, Norris finalist

Postby Lt. Dish on Tue May 07, 2013 12:48 pm

mikey287 wrote:
JoseCuervo wrote:
eddiefromirwin wrote:I was sort of hoping they dealt Martin at the deadline, even though he had played great. He has played himself into being worth his $5 million salary.


:face:


That's all I could muster after reading that. Good for you getting words out...holy cow that's bad...


mikey, OT for this thread, but how are you feeling still about this series? Do you still think we pull it off?
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,623
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:07 pm
Location: Advancing on defensive indifference

Re: Kris Letang, Norris finalist

Postby mikey287 on Tue May 07, 2013 1:03 pm

If the team is as unhappy after that win as was reported and they are a focused, cohesive unit that fixes issues with their spacing and their outlets and gains some more possession time, yeah, it's very do-able.

I had concerns early in the season if Bylsma could get the locker room back and make adjustments to some of the things I mentioned above...he did. We played some good defensive hockey this year, some of the best maybe in our history, so I know we can do it...it can be difficult to motivate a team after a big win or a big loss in game 1 of a playoff series, believe me...game 4 should be fairly telling, if we see some life, if we get the players that stunk or were at least underwhelming in game 3 (pretty much everyone except 9, 14, 87, 7 and 24) to start playing with a little more fire, a little more direction and, above all, a little more focused...we'll switch the steamroll to [on]...if not, if there's no urgency, we'll struggle to get out of the first round...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,009
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Re: Kris Letang, Norris finalist

Postby Pitt87 on Tue May 07, 2013 2:17 pm

I saw one game from Suter this year, but if he played like he did in Game 1 vs. Chicago for most of this year, he is becoming an elite defender and really should be a runaway for this one.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,201
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:33 am
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Re: Kris Letang, Norris finalist

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue May 07, 2013 2:19 pm

becoming? :pop: I didn't watch him much in Nashville, because I had more exciting things to watch than Nashville hockey, like fishing, but he has been dominant for a long time. Didn't get noticed because of the 190 mile per hour slapshot lined up on the other point.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 51,545
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Kris Letang, Norris finalist

Postby Pitt87 on Tue May 07, 2013 2:20 pm

pcm wrote:Letang's new contract won't kick in until Niskanen and Orpik (and Engelland) are all up for new ones. At that point, you look at guys like Despres, Harrington, Dumoulin to take those spots. Maybe Orpik signs a vet contract to finish out his career as a Pen, but he won't be making top 4 $.


Two questions... What is a 'vet contract', and why would a player take less money than he's worth in his prime earning years, which for Brooksy is the first contract after he wins a cup and gets selected for the US National team?
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,201
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:33 am
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Re: Kris Letang, Norris finalist

Postby MRandall25 on Tue May 07, 2013 2:21 pm

Pitt87 wrote:
pcm wrote:Letang's new contract won't kick in until Niskanen and Orpik (and Engelland) are all up for new ones. At that point, you look at guys like Despres, Harrington, Dumoulin to take those spots. Maybe Orpik signs a vet contract to finish out his career as a Pen, but he won't be making top 4 $.


Two questions... What is a 'vet contract', and why would a player take less money than he's worth in his prime earning years, which for Brooksy is the first contract after he wins a cup and gets selected for the US National team?


By that same logic, why did Letang only sign an extension for $3.5 mil when he could've waited a year and made bank?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,664
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Kris Letang, Norris finalist

Postby eddiefromirwin on Tue May 07, 2013 2:45 pm

pcm wrote:Letang's new contract won't kick in until Niskanen and Orpik (and Engelland) are all up for new ones. At that point, you look at guys like Despres, Harrington, Dumoulin to take those spots. Maybe Orpik signs a vet contract to finish out his career as a Pen, but he won't be making top 4 $.


Orpik, Letang, Niksy, Eng, and the horse are all up after next year.
eddiefromirwin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:17 am

Re: Kris Letang, Norris finalist

Postby Shakes on Tue May 07, 2013 2:58 pm

Ever the loyal teammate.

Shelly Anderson ‏@pgshelly 26m
Eaton on Letang: There’s very little risk in his game. He can create offense without being out of position or sacrificing defense. #Penguins


Image
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,893
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:27 pm
Location: Rochester, NY

Re: Kris Letang, Norris finalist

Postby MRandall25 on Tue May 07, 2013 3:01 pm

Cocaine is a hell of a drug
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,664
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Kris Letang, Norris finalist

Postby Shakes on Tue May 07, 2013 3:05 pm

mikey287 wrote:game 4 should be fairly telling, if we see some life, if we get the players that stunk or were at least underwhelming in game 3 (pretty much everyone except 9, 14, 87, 7 and 24) to start playing with a little more fire, a little more direction and, above all, a little more focused...we'll switch the steamroll to [on]...if not, if there's no urgency, we'll struggle to get out of the first round...


This. Capuano said something today like "we have to play perfect to beat the Pens." And they've come out like that the last two games. Every guy.

Too many of our guys are keeping it in 2nd gear like that's good enough to beat the Isles (and maybe it is). I hope it changes tonight.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,893
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:27 pm
Location: Rochester, NY

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

e-mail