Morrow, Iginla, Murray

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Morrow, Iginla, Murray

Postby Crankshaft on Tue May 07, 2013 5:11 pm

Here's hoping we win the Cup and Morrow is able to ride off into the sunset because I do not see any way he comes back.

You have to make every effort to sign Iginla, even if it is just for 1 year until Geno and Letang's new contracts kick in.

This may be the last you see of Brooks Orpik in a Penguins uniform. His cap hit may not justify his decline in play.

Same with Matt Niskanan. He's been a great 3rd pairing guy and does well when filling in the top-4, but with the depth we have at defense, his cap expense is best used elsewhere.

Hopefully they can trade Kennedy for a mid-round pick and get his money off the books as well. He'll be a good 2nd-3rd liner on a Calgary or Florida team.

Beau Bennett will be a huge part of next year's team. I'd be shocked if he's not on Sid's wing.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MarioLives on Tue May 07, 2013 5:12 pm

I honestly would not keep anyone but Murray. Has Iginla or Morrow done anything this post season, so far, that warrants paying for them? The Pens had enough regular season talent to get the number 1 seed. These players were brought in for playoffs performance. If that does not show up, it is not worth signing them. IMO
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Tue May 07, 2013 5:17 pm

HomerPenguin wrote:It would be nice to have Murray back just for what he does for them on PK, but they need to get faster and these guys actually make them slower.

He has been on the ice for 90% of the pk goals against since he arrived.

I would like to keep Morrow as long as he is complimented with some speed on his line.

Someone will pay Iggy way too much especially when he is out on Sids line and dominates in the playoffs.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Tue May 07, 2013 5:22 pm

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:
HomerPenguin wrote:It would be nice to have Murray back just for what he does for them on PK, but they need to get faster and these guys actually make them slower.

Source?

EDIT: Nevermind, it was that Wozniak article that I didn't bother reading.

What the article doesn't mention:

1. 3 of those were in that 6-1 loss to the Rangers.

2. How many successful PK's he was a part of.

It's a really short-sighted article.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby midd on Tue May 07, 2013 5:58 pm

Iginla has 5 points (1G, 4A) in three games. I think he has shown up. This Isles team makes him look even slower. But he's here to contribute; he's not here to win the Conn Smythe.

Orpik is not the player he once was. He seldom makes the big hit anymore. I like his defensive play but for what he is making, his play is average.

MarioLives wrote:I honestly would not keep anyone but Murray. Has Iginla or Morrow done anything this post season, so far, that warrants paying for them? The Pens had enough regular season talent to get the number 1 seed. These players were brought in for playoffs performance. If that does not show up, it is not worth signing them. IMO
midd
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby eddiefromirwin on Tue May 07, 2013 6:33 pm

Murray is a bit of a pylon out there, and this coaching staff wants quick puck movers on D. In addition, the Islanders have parlayed their speed advantage in the series into outplaying the Pens so far. I think Murray might be ok against other teams later in the playoffs, but he could be a liability against the Isles. I also don't see our penalty killing being a lot better with Murray. Finally, seems to me like they might want to give Bortuzzo a bigger role.
eddiefromirwin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby MRandall25 on Tue May 07, 2013 6:35 pm

Murray is a pylon?

Lol
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Tue May 07, 2013 6:36 pm

I can't wait to see Despres and Bortuzzo falling down on a nightly basis.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby seabiscuit on Tue May 07, 2013 6:37 pm

Does the new CBA allow for the Pens to sign an older player for extra years at a reduced rate to bring down the cap hit? Such as Iginla for 5 years, 5,4,3,2,1 ?
seabiscuit
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby penny lane on Tue May 07, 2013 6:38 pm

^ no part of Morrow ? and the last of Brooks; thank God he's playing tonight then.

:D
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MarioLives on Tue May 07, 2013 6:43 pm

midd wrote:Iginla has 5 points (1G, 4A) in three games. I think he has shown up. This Isles team makes him look even slower. But he's here to contribute; he's not here to win the Conn Smythe.

Orpik is not the player he once was. He seldom makes the big hit anymore. I like his defensive play but for what he is making, his play is average.

MarioLives wrote:I honestly would not keep anyone but Murray. Has Iginla or Morrow done anything this post season, so far, that warrants paying for them? The Pens had enough regular season talent to get the number 1 seed. These players were brought in for playoffs performance. If that does not show up, it is not worth signing them. IMO

We can agree to disagree on Iggy. He has points but he has not been the impact that I thought he would be. At least not yet. His impact has been minimal. Maybe that will change if they get through this series.
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby eddiefromirwin on Tue May 07, 2013 7:01 pm

Murray was dealt at the deadline by a team still in contention to make the playoffs, then subsequently made the playoffs, and now are likely to win their first round.
eddiefromirwin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby MRandall25 on Tue May 07, 2013 7:02 pm

So?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby knives of ice on Tue May 07, 2013 7:05 pm

the coaching staff loves murray....and he's been our best dman in these playoffs thus far. he's not the one turning pucks over all the time and making mistakes
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby eddiefromirwin on Tue May 07, 2013 7:42 pm

MRandall25 wrote:So?

Teams generally don't deal coveted D-men going into the playoffs if they are in contention, even if they will become UFAs.
eddiefromirwin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby eddiefromirwin on Tue May 07, 2013 7:45 pm

knives of ice wrote:the coaching staff loves murray....and he's been our best dman in these playoffs thus far. he's not the one turning pucks over all the time and making mistakes

He is a third pair D-man who doesn't face the opposing teams top lines. Orpik, on the other hand, is on the top D pair and always faces the other team's best players. Lets resign Murray, and then not be able to resign a guy like Orpik. Not bright.
eddiefromirwin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby columbia on Tue May 07, 2013 10:04 pm

Oddly, the person who benefits most from a Penguins collapse is sitting in the press box.
If the Pens keep playing like this, Morrow, Iginla and Murray will not be back (and allowing for the financial possibility of his return).
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby DiscoDadda on Tue May 07, 2013 11:03 pm

eddiefromirwin wrote:
thepittman wrote:Do we have a large crease clearing defenseman in the system?

Yes, his name is Brooks Orpik.

You are joking right? There is no one on the team that causes me to yell at the TV more than Brooks Orpik... is he valuable as a 4th or 5th d-man... yeah.... But that is it.

Disco
DiscoDadda

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Tue May 07, 2013 11:16 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:

Source?

EDIT: Nevermind, it was that Wozniak article that I didn't bother reading.

What the article doesn't mention:

1. 3 of those were in that 6-1 loss to the Rangers.

2. How many successful PK's he was a part of.

It's a really short-sighted article.

Slanted? Since he has arrived he has been on the ice for almost every PK goal against, our PK got no better overall and our team defense hasn't improved. I don't hate Murray but he isn't all this board thinks he is just because he is big, has a cool nickname and fits a Pittsburgh mold. He doesn't make mistakes because he doesn't/can't do squat out there but skate slowly backwards and take up space.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby eddiefromirwin on Tue May 07, 2013 11:31 pm

DiscoDadda wrote:
eddiefromirwin wrote:
thepittman wrote:Do we have a large crease clearing defenseman in the system?

Yes, his name is Brooks Orpik.

You are joking right? There is no one on the team that causes me to yell at the TV more than Brooks Orpik... is he valuable as a 4th or 5th d-man... yeah.... But that is it.

Disco

Again...always on the ice against the opposing team's top forwards....and now most likely more injured than is being let on. The guy has battled injury troubles these past few years. The guy isn't an all star, but not sure if they have anything better.
eddiefromirwin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Luckybreak on Wed May 08, 2013 6:08 am

For me Murray is a must keep. His game is flawed though good positioning (and being paired with a faster offensive minded D) generally compensate for poor skating speed. Most importantly he regularly wins possesion and clears the zone through a combination of strength and simple plays (things the clone army of PMDs were lacking).

Morrow's been good but I believe he could have been better if playing LW next to Malkin. He lacks speed but is very predictable and in his brief time on Malkin's LW looked to fill the 'Kunitz' void very well.

Iggy's on ice presence has been far less than I anticipated (particularly at ES), but yet again I think he has been mismanaged horrendously since arriving. I've been frustrated to the point of utter bewilderment by Bylsma's insistence on banging square pegs into round holes and will have a very bad taste in my mouth if Iggy's tenure as a Pen ends without significant time on Crosby's RW.
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mig991 on Wed May 08, 2013 10:02 am

Why would they keep any of them? If they win the Cup great, either way all three, plus JJ will probably be gone unless they will play for peanuts. And having to sign Letang AND Malkin, mean peanuts is all they will have left.

Murray is a big hitter, but his foot speed is disgusting. Isles players walk around him like he isn't there. His biggest value is on the PK, not enough reason.

Maybe Jokinen at 900k-1.1, other than that.....
mig991

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed May 08, 2013 10:04 am

Jokinen will either get paid $2.1 million by the pens or play somewhere else. No other possibilities.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby GreenLantern on Wed May 08, 2013 1:53 pm

eddiefromirwin wrote:My guess would be Murray is a definite goner. Pens have D-men in waiting that we haven't seen this year.

Somebody prolly will make a run at Duper in the offseason. This might bring Morrow into play if he is willing to take a pay cut. Iginla is going back to Calgary after he gets his cup. He's a legend.

Fixed that for you :)

Although I disagree, I think regardless Iggy will stick around with the Pens for a few more seasons. The Flames need time to recover and rebuild a new identity, having Jarome around will not help that. He wants to win and play till he is 40, so he will have lots of time to come back to Calgary and retire there as they are just getting going again under their new stars.
GreenLantern

Postby Pitts on Wed May 08, 2013 2:12 pm

Crankshaft wrote:Here's hoping we win the Cup and Morrow is able to ride off into the sunset because I do not see any way he comes back.

You have to make every effort to sign Iginla, even if it is just for 1 year until Geno and Letang's new contracts kick in.

This may be the last you see of Brooks Orpik in a Penguins uniform. His cap hit may not justify his decline in play.

Same with Matt Niskanan. He's been a great 3rd pairing guy and does well when filling in the top-4, but with the depth we have at defense, his cap expense is best used elsewhere.

Hopefully they can trade Kennedy for a mid-round pick and get his money off the books as well. He'll be a good 2nd-3rd liner on a Calgary or Florida team.

Beau Bennett will be a huge part of next year's team. I'd be shocked if he's not on Sid's wing.

Funny a person posting as "crankshaft" comes in and says get rid of all the defensemen! Is someone angling for a new contract? :)
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins