Emergency GDT Game 4 Pens Isles 05/07/2013

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Emergency GDT Game 4 Pens Isles 05/07/2013

Postby Lt. Dish on Wed May 08, 2013 12:09 am

farnham16 wrote:Kris Letang? Is follows up getting nominated for a Norris with perhaps the worst effort I've ever seen for a dman. He was a disgrace to the team tonight. Dozen turnovers, jumping into the offensive zone on a PK, and cross checking a linesman?

If we have to trade one big name guy let it be him. He's a such a freaking wildcard.

Young Money syndrome
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Lt. Dish on Wed May 08, 2013 12:10 am

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:
Badger Bob wrote:
MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:Also, what's up with this "the ship is sinking" attitude. So the series is tied 2-2, no reason to freak out. The Canadiens should be the ones freaking out and lighting the team on fire.

I guess you missed the last three games?

It's not like last year's series where we're getting obliterated. You can tell we're the more skilled team, we just made a few mistakes and are tied (yes, you read that right, we're tied) in the series.

We're still in the diver's seat.

Heh. All of Long Island would agree with you.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Orlando Penguin on Wed May 08, 2013 12:13 am

Has it occurred to anyone that perhaps the Isles are just a bad matchup for the Penguins? Everything I continue to read on these boards makes it sound like these are the Islanders that have been languishing in the cellar for the past 20 years. These guys have shown that they can skate fast and they play with a lot more toughness and grit than the Penguins are right now. It seems most on here as well as the bobbleheads on TV look at the seedings or what happened in the regular season and think this is going to be a walkover. This is the playoffs. Teams gel and peak at the right time. The Isles decided after Game 1 that they were gonna change their style and they've been driving us nuts since then.

I think the things that have disappointed me the most in this series is that Fleury has been beyond awful (I actually thought he was average in the shutout because it looked like he was spazzing around more than he did in the regular season), the defense has been very irresponsible in their own end with giveaways and poor execution in clearing the zone (including icings), and most of all in Game 4 -- moronic penalties. When it was 3-2 and the Pens were buzzing but didn't score and then someone (Cooke?) took a really stupid penalty, I turned to my graphics operator (also from Pittsburgh) and said that the Isles were gonna tie it here. Sure enough, we look up and they're celebrating.

We all know they're better than this. But the Isles have found something to exploit and sadly, the last line of defense can't keep the wall up. Bring on Vokoun.
Orlando Penguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby PPenguinsFan66 on Wed May 08, 2013 12:13 am

So many diving signs. Yet they got called for it. The fix is in?
PPenguinsFan66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DudeMan2766 on Wed May 08, 2013 12:18 am

Orlando Penguin wrote:Has it occurred to anyone that perhaps the Isles are just a bad matchup for the Penguins? Everything I continue to read on these boards makes it sound like these are the Islanders that have been languishing in the cellar for the past 20 years. These guys have shown that they can skate fast and they play with a lot more toughness and grit than the Penguins are right now. It seems most on here as well as the bobbleheads on TV look at the seedings or what happened in the regular season and think this is going to be a walkover. This is the playoffs. Teams gel and peak at the right time. The Isles decided after Game 1 that they were gonna change their style and they've been driving us nuts since then.

I think the things that have disappointed me the most in this series is that Fleury has been beyond awful (I actually thought he was average in the shutout because it looked like he was spazzing around more than he did in the regular season), the defense has been very irresponsible in their own end with giveaways and poor execution in clearing the zone (including icings), and most of all in Game 4 -- moronic penalties. When it was 3-2 and the Pens were buzzing but didn't score and then someone (Cooke?) took a really stupid penalty, I turned to my graphics operator (also from Pittsburgh) and said that the Isles were gonna tie it here. Sure enough, we look up and they're celebrating.

We all know they're better than this. But the Isles have found something to exploit and sadly, the last line of defense can't keep the wall up. Bring on Vokoun.

You make sense man. but the "bad match up" crap card was used up last year. Good coaches figure it out, and ours hasnt in 3 years.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby RxBandit66 on Wed May 08, 2013 12:21 am

Back in 1991 and 1992, those teams had trouble in the early rounds too. Remember, the Isles have been playing playoff type hockey for several weeks now, fighting to simply make the playoffs.

The series is 2-2. Now it's a best of 3 with the Pens having home ice. Make a change in goal, a lineup change or two (Kennedy or Vitale should play), and move forward. No big deal.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby GJ on Wed May 08, 2013 12:23 am

RxBandit66 wrote:Back in 1991 and 1992, those teams had trouble in the early rounds too. Remember, the Isles have been playing playoff type hockey for several weeks now, fighting to simply make the playoffs.

The series is 2-2. Now it's a best of 3 with the Pens having home ice. Make a change in goal, a lineup change or two (Kennedy or Vitale should play), and move forward. No big deal.

:thumb:
GJ
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Orlando Penguin on Wed May 08, 2013 12:25 am

DudeMan2766 wrote:
You make sense man. but the "bad match up" crap card was used up last year. Good coaches figure it out, and ours hasnt in 3 years.

I'm very much in the minority here but I don't put much blame on Bylsma for this current situation. You have 2 lines with world-class Olympians a bottom 6 that most playoff teams would gladly take and a defense group that has shown that they can be beyond serviceable. Back that up with a goalie who holds numerous club records. The players are just not performing right now and y'all can say what you want about benching this guy or benching that guy but with the exception of Fleury (and I support his benching for Game 5), what smarts would it be to sit Letang or sit Malkin. I mean...seriously? And on the off chance that ever happened, the howling that would occur if they lost the game in which those two sat would be off the charts.
Orlando Penguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby farnham16 on Wed May 08, 2013 12:26 am

RxBandit66 wrote:Back in 1991 and 1992, those teams had trouble in the early rounds too. Remember, the Isles have been playing playoff type hockey for several weeks now, fighting to simply make the playoffs.

I wouldn't say its no big deal. I felt fine when the Pens were down 0-2 to the Caps are few years ago because of the way they played in those two losses. You knew they would win the next few.

This series, the Pens have played 3 terrible games in a row and should be down 1-3. They are in huge trouble.

Its up to Sid and Geno to turn this ship around.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Lt. Dish on Wed May 08, 2013 12:26 am

Dejan Kovacevic ‏@Dejan_Kovacevic 2h

#Pens locker room ... very, very bad place to be. I'll leave it at that for now. Not so pleasant just outside room, either. #TribHKY

RxBandit, I remember gnashing of teeth and wringing of hands in those years, too.

I want:
--> Iggy on his natural side with Sid
--> Kunitz with Malkin and Neal
--> TK and Vitale in

I'm torn re: Fleury/Vokoun. Maybe put Fleury in on a short leash. I don't know anything right now.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DudeMan2766 on Wed May 08, 2013 12:30 am

Orlando Penguin wrote:
DudeMan2766 wrote:

I'm very much in the minority here but I don't put much blame on Bylsma for this current situation. You have 2 lines with world-class Olympians a bottom 6 that most playoff teams would gladly take and a defense group that has shown that they can be beyond serviceable. Back that up with a goalie who holds numerous club records. The players are just not performing right now and y'all can say what you want about benching this guy or benching that guy but with the exception of Fleury (and I support his benching for Game 5), what smarts would it be to sit Letang or sit Malkin. I mean...seriously? And on the off chance that ever happened, the howling that would occur if they lost the game in which those two sat would be off the charts.

I got ya. When you have this many superstars I dont think any coach would have the balls to sit anyone. But man, and I like Bylsma, but we got Malkin takin the penalties he's always taken, Fleury playing like he does, and the breakouts, the undiscipline play....a coach needs to reign these guys in and its just not happening.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Easton on Wed May 08, 2013 12:30 am

Lt. Dish wrote:Dejan Kovacevic ‏@Dejan_Kovacevic 2h

#Pens locker room ... very, very bad place to be. I'll leave it at that for now. Not so pleasant just outside room, either. #TribHKY

RxBandit, I remember gnashing of teeth and wringing of hands in those years, too.

I want:
--> Iggy on his natural side with Sid
--> Kunitz with Malkin and Neal
--> TK and Vitale in

I'm torn re: Fleury/Vokoun. Maybe put Fleury in on a short leash. I don't know anything right now.

My thinking is, why do you pay Vokoun $2 mil a year if you're not going to entertain starting him in the playoffs after 3 consecutive poor/mediocre starts? If anything, I say you put Vokoun on a short leash instead of starting Fleury and putting him on one.
Easton
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby offsides on Wed May 08, 2013 12:32 am

farnham16 wrote:

I wouldn't say its no big deal. I felt fine when the Pens were down 0-2 to the Caps are few years ago because of the way they played in those two losses. You knew they would win the next few.

This series, the Pens have played 3 terrible games in a row and should be down 1-3. They are in huge trouble.

I agree with the terrible play, and home ice doesn't mean much now. Haven't we lost our last three game sevens at home? Also not sure what the 91 and 92 teams have to do with this one.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Easton on Wed May 08, 2013 12:33 am

offsides wrote:
farnham16 wrote:

I agree with the terrible play, and home ice doesn't mean much now. Haven't we lost our last three game sevens at home? Also not sure what the 91 and 92 teams have to do with this one.

About the same as the last three game sevens have had to do with this series.
Easton
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby offsides on Wed May 08, 2013 12:37 am

Easton wrote:
offsides wrote:
farnham16 wrote:

Right you are, but at least some of the current players were involved in the last few game sevens. No one from the 91-92 teams are involved now.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Staggy on Wed May 08, 2013 12:50 am

Wow, I just saw the replay of the Isles' third goal after avoiding it during the game. L-O-effing L.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Wed May 08, 2013 12:54 am

If the Isles are a bad match-up for the Pens, then there isn't a going to be a good one. There's absolutely no reason the Pens should be having this kind of trouble with this team. When Bylsma gets outcoached every series, Fleury gets outplayed every series, and the Pens can't match the effort/energy/work ethic/desperation/whatever of their opponent, I guess that will equal a bad match-up every time. Unfortunately there just don't appear to be many disinterested teams that are satisfied from winning the Cup four years ago currently in the playoff picture. Maybe they'd match up well against someone like that.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby orpchar on Wed May 08, 2013 12:58 am

The 91 and 92 pens didn't have the same troubles that this team has. Giving too much space in the D end, no net-front presence in either end, no sustained offensive pressure, no cycling, soft goals being surrendered by the starting goalie on a regular basis, taking dumb penalties, consistently turning the puck over on the breakout, getting beat to every puck...

I consider myself an optimist, but the Penguins are currently losing this series, regardless of what the 2-2 tally would tell you.
orpchar
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Lt. Dish on Wed May 08, 2013 1:02 am

offsides wrote:
Easton wrote:
offsides wrote:
farnham16 wrote:

Right you are, but at least some of the current players were involved in the last few game sevens. No one from the 91-92 teams are involved now.

I get what RxBandit is saying, I think. RxB, you can tell me if I'm off base.

I take his comment to mean that two of the most celebrated, talented rosters in franchise history struggled mightily in the first rounds of their 1991 and 1992 Cup runs. It's not necessarily the specific 1991 and 1992 teams that are the point; it's the general notion that it's not entirely uncommon to see a stacked roster struggle with an ostensibly lesser team--and in an incredibly frustrating-bordering-on-humiliating way. Many fans, including yours truly, fretted a good bit at how the 1st round vs. NJ in 1991 and the 1st round, vs. the Caps, and the 2nd round, vs. NYR, in the 1992 playoffs were playing out.

The Pens, if my memory serves, got absolutely manhandled in more than a few games each of those playoff years. In fact, the Pens got blown off the ice a few times. Granted, it was a different era of firewagon hockey. But when the Pens' firewagon could only put up 1 or 2 goals while getting 5, 6, or 7 hung on them early and midway in a series, well, then yeah, there were some tense times.

RxB is saying, "It was really bad...and it looked kind of pathetic and hopeless at times, too...and look how those years turned out. So just wait and see." And, frankly, he's made me feel a tad better reminding me. :)
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Lt. Dish on Wed May 08, 2013 1:03 am

orpchar wrote:

The 91 and 92 pens didn't have the same troubles that this team has. Giving too much space in the D end, no net-front presence in either end, no sustained offensive pressure, no cycling, soft goals being surrendered by the starting goalie on a regular basis, taking dumb penalties, consistently turning the puck over on the breakout, getting beat to every puck...

I consider myself an optimist, but the Penguins are currently losing this series, regardless of what the 2-2 tally would tell you.

But I recall them having plenty of serious issues of their own.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Stick_Flex on Wed May 08, 2013 1:11 am

DropEmJayBird wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:The only good news is that it is only 2-2 in this series. Start Vokoun, the team will gain some confidence with a goalie that can prevent literally every single mistake ending up in the back of the net.

you must have missed the Canadians game this year. Vokoun hasn't seen this many mistakes - and given his speed moving side to side, and sprawling when the defense is crapping all over itself - I don't think it will be pretty.

Our only chance is that the guys play better because they realize they've really f-ed up.

Vokoun is used to being on teams that give up a ton of shots. He is rock solid just watch.
Stick_Flex
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Scott on Wed May 08, 2013 1:29 am

I said Vokoun should have played game 4. Period. It was the perfect time to give Fleury a much needed rest. Nope. Yet again Bylsma amazes with his thinking. Vokoun will now get the call in game 5 and I don't like it. It should have been this game.

Malkin...could he have possibly played any more ignorant or selfish in the game today? Dumb plays all game long. Not sugar coating it, dumb
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bhaw on Wed May 08, 2013 1:46 am

Orlando Penguin wrote:
DudeMan2766 wrote:

If I have two of the best players in the world but keep putting them in situations where they can't get the puck up ice because the other team knows what we are doing before we do it ( because I refuse to change what we do), I have effectively played the best defense on my world class talents that my opponent could ever hope for. Our game plan is like an old text book that has been passed down through the years with all the answers written in the columns. The flyers sold the text book to the isles this year.

I expect a lot from Sid and geno, but they are effectively neutralized because the isles are predicting what we are going to do and taking away their options. Our goals the last three games are coming from the sheer imbalance in talent we have. The series will be decided by whether our talent gap is big enough to overcome their discipline and game planning. DB is a lame duck at this point because unless he has a revalation, this team can only win by out-talenting NY. Good news is that we have an ok shot this round at doing that. We will get broken next round if this continues.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby knives of ice on Wed May 08, 2013 1:52 am

geno had 1 horrible turnover that cost us a goal.

he is leading the nhl in playoff scoring and had 2 points in every game.

that turnover was inexcusable, but through 2 periods he was the best player on the ice by far.

there is a ton of blame to go around, i just can't get that mad at geno when others have been much worse - like our norris trophy dman and #29
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Sarcastic on Wed May 08, 2013 2:12 am

Bioshock wrote:This is how out to lunch the team is: Kris Letang CROSSCHECKING the linesman...

I can't explain what is happening there. I wouldn't have a problem if he got suspended...
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins